Goodbye Bafana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye Bafana Reviews

May 20, 2015
review coming.
½ January 25, 2011
Not a bad movie at all, although Dennis Haysbert as Nelson Mandela was the worst choice for such a role.
½ November 10, 2009
This film, specially at the end, brought back a lot of memories of watching the news footage of Nelson Mandela walk out of prison a free man.

Bit slow at times but I enjoyed it and I also learned a lot about Mr Mandela's imprisonment that I had not known before.

In the end this movie just reaffirmed my belief that discrimination, whatever it is, will always lose against the goodness of equality.

BTW, this movie's alternate title is 'The Color Of Freedom' which is what Netflix has it under.
½ April 16, 2008
Let me tell you now this movie is pretty long...longer than expected but very well done. I'm glad it doesn't try to do too much to sell the story just sticking the life of the guard. Thumbs up from yours truly.
½ June 15, 2015
A beautiful piece of history and perhaps, a sadistic memento.
October 28, 2014
"Goodbye Bafana" is one of those movies that is so good that no one has even ehard of it. I am not even kidding, if you look it up on any major site featuring movie reviews this movie will either have very few votes or it doesn't exist at all. Anyway, this movie is about Nelson Mandela's (Dennis Haysbert) old prison guard James Gregory (Joseph Fiennes) and their sort of "relationship" as the years go by. The execution of said story is very well done and the acting is superb. I'd argue that this is Joseph Fiennes' best performance. And Dennis Haysbert as Mandela is phenomenal! This movie is really good in every aspect and I recommend that you watch it!
½ September 18, 2012
Very good movie, didn't really know how Nelson Mandela was living during prison times...
½ November 3, 2010
This true story about Nelson Mandela's prison guard is well acted and moving but hampered by mild direction which fails to eke out everything possible from the material.