• R, 1 hr. 58 min.

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Goodbye Bafana Reviews

September 10, 2013
???????, ?????????, ????? ???. ???????????, ??? ??? ????.
December 25, 2008
Good historical document.
NaWia
NaWia

January 18, 2013
I dont have much words to say than THANK YOU for this Movie!
October 14, 2012
A very good intake on Mandela's struggle at the height of apartheid... I think the worthy sequel to mention is Invictus starring Morgan Freeman as Madiba himself and Matt 'Bourne' Damon....
September 30, 2012
GOODBYE BAFANA is the true story of a white South African racist whose life was profoundly altered by the black prisoner he guarded for twenty years. The prisoner's name was Nelson Mandela.
September 18, 2012
Very good movie, didn't really know how Nelson Mandela was living during prison times...
May 21, 2012
The former half is slow but latter the latter half is touching.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
February 6, 2012
Nice film about 2 good men on very opposite sides of the apartheid system. Seems a shame though that whilst the tone of this film is so hopeful, South Africa is still a problem with deep social problems and inequality
January 25, 2011
Not a bad movie at all, although Dennis Haysbert as Nelson Mandela was the worst choice for such a role.
December 22, 2010
Este filme trás a luta contra o racismo e a vida na prisão de Nelson Mandela.
November 3, 2010
This true story about Nelson Mandela's prison guard is well acted and moving but hampered by mild direction which fails to eke out everything possible from the material.
luccianno
March 7, 2010
O que falar sobre Madiba? Nelson Mandela foi e é um dos maiores ícones representativo da Humanidade. Mas este filme não fala sobre o Heroi do Fim do Apartheid, fala sobre o Olhar do Carcereiro que coadjuvantemente participou de toda a drámatica tragetória que Madiba viveu como prisionéiro,

What to say about Madiba? Nelson Mandela was and is one of the most iconic representative of humanity. But this movie is not about the hero of the End of Apartheid, talks about the "Look Supporting" of the Jailer who participated of whole dramatic trajectory of Madiba how prisioner.
November 7, 2008
Although there is much sceptacism surrounding the actual 'truth' in this true story (Mandela claims he hardly ever spoke to Gregory and that the memoirs the film is based on are mainly fictional) a lot of the issues surrounding the film hold true. Obviously the struggle for Black people to be seen as equal in South Africa is one most people are aware of, but the struggle of white people who believe in black equal rights in a time when it wasn't the accpeted thing to do is an insight we don't often see. The struggles Gregory and his family face when he starts to see things from the black persons point of view, when he sees past the propaganda and learns that they do not wish to run the white people out of their land (which is something his wife falsely believed to start with) but just wish to have equality for all is something that should be remember. Because without those who stood up for the rights of others when they did not have the history of South Africa might have played out differently.
It was also interesting to see things from Mandela's point of view - everything from violance and terrorist actions to get his voice heard, to his respect he gave political leaders who failed to do the same for him. It goes beyond the simplistic look that he was either a terrorist or a hero, rather simply showing him as a man with great intellignece, fighting for something he believes is right - he becomes more than just a black and white figure and ou see the different layers of his character. I also loved the dipiction of two of the most famous pieces of that time in South Africa's history - the speech Mandela's daughter gave on behalf of her father, in which she quoted that what would setting him free do if his people were not also free people. And the final moment that defines the recent political history in South Africa, when it was released from the clutches of civil war with the simple realse of one man.
The acting on the whole was excellent - Dennis Haysbert (who I usually love anyway) did a fantastic job playing such a famous figure. Joseph Fiennes also put in a star peformance as the prison guard who came to respect him. The only thing I was a little unsure of was their Xosa accents and language (and occasionally I thought Fiennes' South Africa accent slipped) as I wasn't sure it was spot on. But then again when I worked in South Africa I worked with mainly Afrikkaans speaking people, I'd have to ask friends their opinion to be sure.
Overall although the actual story of the relationship between Gregory and Mandela may be built on a fabrication, it represent the struggle of the white people of the time who were prepared to see past the colour of a persons skin and see the human within. And that I think is a truely inspiring message which should be remembered.
navinpai
January 7, 2010
Lovely movie. I really liked the storyline, and the director manages to bring out the change in the prison guard very beautifully. Dennis Haysbert as Nelson Mandela is absolutely brilliant, as is Fiennes as the prison guard. The film truly lives up to its premise, and is a must watch for everyone who undermines the apartheid regime in South Africa, and the contributions of Mandela to changing the situation in the region. The only flaw I found was that the director seemed to show that every other white person except for the protagonist was a openly racist person, and a 2 dimensional figure. However it can be granted that it wasn't really possible to delve more into this, else the movie would be too long. The movie, moves through the 1 and 3/4 hours of its runtime at a brisk pace, and never gets uninteresting.I'd highly recommend this movie for everyone, atleast everyone old enough to understand the subject matter discussed. The movie really motivates you to learn more about Nelson Mandela's (and his comrades') time in prison, and the whole situation in SA through those decades.
movizzzfreakzzz
December 10, 2009
very nice movie... must watch
dredzag
November 10, 2009
This film, specially at the end, brought back a lot of memories of watching the news footage of Nelson Mandela walk out of prison a free man.

Bit slow at times but I enjoyed it and I also learned a lot about Mr Mandela's imprisonment that I had not known before.

In the end this movie just reaffirmed my belief that discrimination, whatever it is, will always lose against the goodness of equality.

BTW, this movie's alternate title is 'The Color Of Freedom' which is what Netflix has it under.
October 27, 2009
THIS ONE makes me cry when i watched it!
The story is very shocking! but all the performances were amazing, i didnt want it to finish!!
black2black
October 6, 2009
A true story well told. Very touching.
bencgreen
September 15, 2009
This is an excellent movie. Joseph Fiennes and Dennis Haysbert in particular are excellent. I expected it to be boring, but it isn't. The story is told extremely well - there are funny and sad moments, and a good sense of the development of the situation in South Africa.