Goon

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Goon Reviews

Jon L

July 7, 2014
I'm sure the story of this film is pretty good, but I could not get through the first quarter because of the copious amount of swearing. I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to stuff like that and I don't recall ever not finishing a film, but this was so over the top it was distracting to the point of annoyance.
Spencer S

February 18, 2012
A very simple, and yet beautiful film, about the life of Doug Glatt (William Scott), a bouncer turned hockey enforcer. It remains very sweet as it follows the even tempered and quite friendly Doug while he gratefully takes on the role of enforcer, or hockey fighter, in the minor leagues. The first great thing about this film is that it has some of the bloodiest fights ever seen, and they're all fun to watch because they come from a place of spectator sport and not filthy bloodlust. To say that they're one and the same is subjective, but when it comes to this film they're separated easily enough. What's also interesting seems to be the character that is Doug. While obviously not human in his retention of pain and misunderstanding from everyone around him, he was likable, even lovable. I will say it, I love the character of Doug Glatt, a man who sees the best in everyone and remains humble and loyal. That and the film is just downright entertaining. From the romantic relationship between Glatt and Eva (Pill), to his friendship with the epithet screaming Pat (Baruchel), to his strange rivalry with Ross Rhea (Schreiber), every relationship in this film entertains. The characters are interesting, the sports scenes actually build tension for the forthcoming final game, and some of these shots are just priceless. Especially when it comes to the fight scenes. They are unapologetically bloody, not at all over exaggerated, and feel very real and yet didn't have the same glory attributed to them in the real world. There's definitely a lack of glory, and clarification of what it means to be a hockey hero or someone who protects their team from hateful rivals. It was also great to find out that Doug was a real person in the credits where they showed some of his real hockey fights. They look as gruesome as the film, which lends even further to the film's realism.
Aaron N

February 1, 2013
Goon is a film that I have revisited a couple times now and badly want it to become a sports comedy classic. It is very funny, pretty violent and vulgar, but well-acted, and oddly sweet. The story surrounds Seann William Scott as Doug Glott, a bouncer-turned-hockey player, after he beats up a hockey player at a game and is recruited to be an enforcer for the Halifax Highlanders. During Glott's time on the team, he successfully beats up many people for the good of the team, while helping the team regain their confidence. At the same time, he falls in love with a girl (Alison Pill), who tends to sleep around quite a bit. Meanwhile, Live Shreiber is also in the film as a veteran enforcer, who plans to retire after this year, but won't go down without a good final fight.

What I really love about Goon is that it is such a nice movie. Given that it is about Doug beating the crap out of people, that may sound strange, but the film is not at all mean-spirited. Doug literally apologizes to the people he hurts, because he means it. He is just doing what he is told, but admires hockey and the players a great deal. Seann William Scott does some of his best work here, further showing that he is much better than just playing Stifler in other films. Everyone is quite good here, with Schreiber really delivering in spades, as he nails this part of the veteran fighter, who even gets a chance to embody De Niro in Heat, during a diner confrontation with Scott's character.

Written by Jay Baruchel and Evan Goldberg, the film is based on a true story, but manages to deliver huge in the way of laughs and fun all around. The story is a fun alternative to standard sports tales, the actors are all invested enough, without going over the top in a way that is unfitting of the tone of the film, and the general spirit of this very R-rated features is very welcoming to all who enjoy films like Slap Shot or Bull Durham.
Everett J

January 16, 2013
Here is a comedy that really, really got overlooked in 2012(hell I didn't see it til 2013, and it came out in March). This is probably one of the best hockey movies ever. Long story short, Sean William Scott stars as Doug Glatt. He's a bar bouncer who is dumber than the average person, but can fight. One night at a hockey game he beats up a player and from there he is instantly sought after to be the Goon(guy who fights during games) for the Halifax Highlanders(it's a minor league team). It all leads up to a final showdown fight with the legend good Ross Rhea played by Liev Schreiber. This is Scott's best performance outside of Stifler. He is funny, charming, and comes across as a guy you'd wanna hang out with it, but never fight. Schreiber is awesome here too, mullet and all. Jay Baruchel(the skinny guy from "She's out of My league") wrote it and co-stars, and the guy is comedic gold. There are a lot of good one liners, and the violence is way over the top, and hilarious(slow shots of a tooth hitting the ice). If you want a good R rated adult, raunchy, sports comedy, then you should definitely watch this.
Sam B

December 28, 2012
"Goon" is a very conventional but enjoyable little sports comedy, a light non-commitment that's biggest downside is it's annoyingly immature sense of humor.
Cynthia S

March 21, 2012
Fun movie! I did almost stop watching after 15 minutes, but I am very glad that I stuck with it. I can only tolerate a small amount of locker room profane banter, and towel snapping humor. BUT..I began to notice the sweetness of the title character, Doug Glatt. He is kind of a sweet, and funny misfit played very well by Seann William Scott. If a person can close their ears to the abundance (but not over the top) of the "F" word, then I think they could appreciate this bittersweet, funny, enjoyable movie.
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

November 17, 2012
Much like how anti-war films exploit the pains and horrors of war, Goon is an anti-sports film that exploits, well, brawls in hockey. But the biggest downfall of Goon is how it makes a big deal out of very small things.
Daniel P

June 13, 2012
This isn't a four-star movie in the way that a classic is, but one that I rate highly because of how significantly it surpassed my expectations. It's raunchy and hilarious, wistful and sweet, and above all that, it's got hockey!

The promo copy bills it as Superbad meets Slap Shot, and that's not so far off. Stifler - I can't use his real name, I just can't! - plays Doug, a bouncer who joins a minor pro team to fight, and Jay Baruchel plays his small-town Massachussetts hoodrat friend, a character more comparable to one from a Kevin Smith film. The funniest bits might be the ones with Baruchel, whose mouth is shockingly foul - even when hosting his public access hockey show.

I liked that the bouncer character was written as a meathead with a heart of gold, but he seemed too stupid to be believable - that said, it's true of hockey culture that the knuckleheads are often the players most liked on the team, and the ones all-too-willing to do whatever the team asks of them and smile about it.

In fact, unlike a lot of hockey films (The Mighty Ducks 2, for instance, where Trinidad & Tobago ices a team and Iceland is a power in the sport), this one is full of rewards for the hockey fan, for which you can thank the Canadians who adapted fighter Doug Smith's memoir, (Baruchel and Superbad's Evan Goldberg). We've even got a highly touted but uninterested French-Canadian prospect for comic relief! (Google "Alexandre Daigle" if you don't know why this is funny.)

Throw in an almost-too-saccharine love story (with Woody Allen's latest regular, Alison Pill) and an inevitable confrontation between Stifler and the league's reigning heavyweight champ (Liev Schreiber), and what you get is a charming little story with a ton of big laughs. Like I said, it's not actually a four-star movie, but it's a fantastic surprise that you (or at least, I) could watch again and again. Promising work from some young talent, and one that will sell well in Canada for decades to come. In the words of Don Cherry, (or was it Bob and Doug Mackenzie), "What a beauty!"
Market Man
Market Man

July 26, 2012
"Goon" is one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile. It has excessive language and violence yet is surprisingly touching. Seann William Scott gives a great performance as Doug Glatt, a man who is drafted to play semi-pro hockey solely because he can fight like no other. And fight he does.

Many may think that this film is just fighting and cursing and nothing else. Well, you're not far from the truth. But what makes it stand out are the characters. Doug is a likable guy and his connection with others, especially Xavier Laflamme, is funny and genuine. Many comedy films nowadays intend to shove in as much crude humor as they can without developing characters. Not the case here.

Overall "Goon" is entertaining and if you are a hockey player, like me, or a fan then it is a must watch. If you don't care for hockey you may still enjoy it, but if you absolutely can't stand brutal fighting then this film probably isn't for you. I liked it, even if the ending leaves much to be desired.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 17, 2010
"Goon was a great movie. This is my favorite character that S.W.S has portrayed. The movie is funny, heroic, simple, brutal, and very entertaining. Some of the more brutal scenes were hard to watch. Especially the one near the end of the film, I found myself covering my face. What makes this such a great movie is that you feel like you're in the stands. By the end of the film I was screaming right along with the fans and screaming at the screen. A bit embarrassing when you're watching it alone and you find yourself talking to the screen. But I can't be the only one who does this... Anyways, it was a great movie. "
blkbomb
blkbomb

June 29, 2012
Ross Rhea: You have my respect. Whatever that means to you, you got it. But, know this shit hard. If ever there comes a time when it gets down to the morrow, and it's you and me. Kid, I will lay you the fuck out.

"Meet Doug, The Nicest Guy You'll Ever Fight"

Goon is an absolutely pitch perfect sports comedy. It is the Major League of the Hockey comedy. Jay Baruchel shows that he isn't just a guy that plays losers, but that he can write some funny shit. Seann William Scott gives the funniest and best performance of his career. The jokes are funny and the fights are brutal. In between all the profane language, drug use, alcohol intake, and sheer violence of Goon, is one of the biggest hearts I've seen in a comedy of this style ever. Doug Glatt is the nicest guy you could wish to meet, even when he is beating the shit out of you on the ice. The way his character plays out, with his teammates and his girl is so... touching. And you wouldn't expect that from a movie that is this fucking violent.

This movie reminds me of something my lifting coach in high school used to say. "Hockey isn't really a game. It's a fight, where a game will occasionally break out." That's exactly what hockey is for Glatt. He can barely skate, but is taken on by a minor league team to protect its star. He does what his team needs. He fights, he bleeds. He's a goon, and he's fucking proud.

This is an odd movie, in that, it feels like the standard, raunchy, foul mouthed comedies we are used to, but it also doesn't. It's much, much more than just a funny movie with great jokes. It's also a movie that has a ton of heart, and that's because we're given a character that we really like; a character we can invest in and cheer for. It's the best character I've seen in a comedy in an extremely longtime, maybe ever. Scott plays the dimwitted, pretty soft-spoken, tough man perfectly. It truly is a sight to behold.

Absolutely a must see. This blows away Slap Shot in my opinion and that may sound like blasphemy to some out there. Goon will surprise you that's for sure. I had heard that it was really, really good, but I never expected this. Going into it, I still expected a decent at best comedy. Luckily for me, I got one of the best comedies in the last 10 years. No shit. This is up there with The Hangover and Superbad.
Stuart B

June 23, 2012
Hilariously funny and easily the best film Sean William Scott has been in.
axadntpron
axadntpron

June 3, 2012
An off-color comedy that revels in its awkwardness.
I'm not one who just normally takes chances on random films at Redbox, but for some reason I just picked this one up. And while I certainly wouldn't buy it, I was glad I spent an evening with it.
Sean William Scott is surprisingly really good as the gentle giant with an iron, bloodstained fist. It is nice to see him doing something else than a variation on his Stiffler shtick. Also, Schrieber is really funny as the Canadian brute Rex Rhea.
While the love story could have benefitted from some tweaking, the dialogue is well-written and features some very funny moments interrupted by some horrendously violent moments.
I can see this film achieving a kind of cult status in the years to come and while I am not hopelessly in love with it, I can certainly appreciate it for what it is.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

January 1, 2012
Gloves off, teeth flying, the crowd going wild! It's the game we all know as ice hockey, in all its brutally entertaining glory! So much more than mere testosterous interplay, however, in the hands of Canadian director Michael Dowse, who knows how to score home some major laughs and does so with finesse.

Sean William Scott, whom to me will always be "The Stiffmeister", plays a bouncer named Doug, who gets recruited to a hockey team, after opening a can of whoop-ass on a player who made the bad call of provoking him into a fight. There's only one little problem: he can't skate worth a damn! What he does have a knack for though is roughing up his opponents (and the occational team mate), which is enough to grant him and his buddies a genuine shot for the playoffs.

Jay Baruchel, who is also one of film's writers, is pretty fun as well, as a webshow host and friend of Doug's, who coaches him to success with some off-the-wall motivation. Liev Schreiber and Alison Pill add even more to its appeal, as Doug's older and more experienced counterpart, respectively cute love interest.

Having recently celebrated my home team winning the Swedish national hockey finals, this comedy couldn't have come at a more perfect time. It's crass, it's profane, yet never neglects you as a being of heart and sentience. A powerplay of good fun, that literally doesn't pull any punches and blasts the puck right through the net! But enough hockey analogies for one day. All you really need to know is that it's well worth a go!
Al S

March 26, 2012
An awesome and outragious action-packed comedy. A surprisingly effective and terrific movie that packs alot of punch, drama, humor and some great heart. A wickedly enjoyable sports comedy that works insanely well with its charactes and story. A full-on fun slap shot of pure entertainment. A bold, bloody, original, hilarious and head-bashing good-time. A fantastic all-star cast. Sean William Scott gives his best and funniest performance yet, creating a wonderfully loveable and effective character. Liev Schreiber is magnificent. Jay Baruchel is terrific. Kim Coates is hysterical, he gives a loud, mean and hilarious performance. Allison Pill is excellent. I loved this movie. A tremendously entertaining movie.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 14, 2012
"Look at you, you're a - you're a fucking beast. You're like the fucking Hebrew Dolph Lundgren or some shit."

Labeled an outcast by his brainy family, a bouncer overcomes long odds to lead a team of under performing misfits to semi-pro hockey glory, beating the crap out of everything that stands in his way.

REVIEW
Doug Glatt (Seann William Scott) is a loser. His father and brother are doctors, yet he is stuck as a bouncer in a seedy Orangetown bar. A rather heinous act of self-defense at a local hockey game gets him noticed and brought in to play in the minors as a goon, someone who fights with others and protects his smaller teammates. He does so incredibly well that he is quickly drafted to a semi-professional team in Canada, where his main goal is to protect star player Xavier LaFlamme (Marc-Andre Grondin), who has not played the same since a brutal hit from the legendary Ross 'The Boss' Rhea (Live Schreiber). The film is inevitably sweet and pretty heartfelt, despite its simple nature. There is a love story, which the film could do without, but the film refuses to become gooey or heavy-handed and simply looks at it as a secondary plot-point rather than an obligation in storytelling. The direction by Michael Dowse, of Take Me Home Tonight fame, is well done and there's a very nice coherency during the fight scenes.

As far as the fight scenes go, I was expecting them to be rushed, cartoony, and a bit too comical, but they're not. They're actually gritty, realistic, and a little dark. They show a bit of wear after fight number four or five, but the direction, setup, and pacing that comes before these fights does the best it can to avoid redundancy. It actually works quite favorably. Written by Baruchel and Superbad's Evan Goldberg, Goon is a comedy about a likable character who does unlikable things because he is good at them. There's nothing totally wrong with that. It's not like in Super, where a man runs around in tights bashing peoples' heads in with a wrench because they cut in line at a movie theater. Doug Glatt isn't a monster - he's a character. One who becomes developed more than the simple plot would lead us to believe. This is a fun comedy. Not urgent, exciting, or a laugh riot, but a fun, character-driven comedy with heart. We need more of those today.
Edward B

March 20, 2012
Goon is the kind of oddball, potty mouthed yet heartfelt comedy that the Judd Apatow gang lovingly churns out at least once a year. Except Goon is undoubtedly a Canadian product - despite being co-written by Superbad's Evan Goldberg - and it portrays a romantic view on hockey fighting, one that indirectly perceives the game as something of a poor man's UFC. Real hockey aficionados might criticize that the hockey portrayed in this movie isn't real hockey, and no one would disagree. But that's the charm of the movie. Writer/producer Jay Baruchel definitely exaggerates the most appealing aspect of the game; I mean, let's face it, a person who watches hockey with hoping a fight doesn't break out is about as realistic as a person who watches Nascar hoping nobody crashes. And yet, though this exaggeration, the script and the film reveal what is so great about this game in the first place. Hockey is a tough as nails game, fast paced, dangerous, and played by people who have nothing but a love for it.
At the front and centre of the story is Sean William Scott who plays Doug Glatt, a mentally slow bouncer who has one hell of an ability to brawl. Put it this way; if Doug hits you, you'll be lucky if all you get is unconscious. His buddy, Pat (Baruchel) runs a foul mouthed radio show. One day on Pat's radio show, Doug gets a call from a scout to play hockey. Despite the fact that he can't skate or handle the puck, Doug gains fame because of his ability to beat the crap out the other team's enforcers, hereby protecting his teammates and making them feel safer when trying to score. Doug is scouted to play for the semi-pro Halifax team.
From there, the usual sports movie cliches abound, but what elevates this film is how likable all the characters are. From the tough as nails coach to the team's Quebecois captain, you want to cheer for every one of these players that glory comes their way. For all the brute force, aggression, and instability these guys possess, they're just a bunch of big, sensitive softies with hearts of gold.
That's where the charm of Goon really shines through. It's full of coarse language and crude jokes that will have you on the floor laughing. But like the Paul Newman classic Slap Shot - a huge influence on this film - Goon will have you cheering to the very end.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 16, 2012
Meet Doug, The Nicest Guy You'll Ever Fight.

Good movie and not bad at all. The movie is really fun and exciting, you can't help but to cheer for the underdogs. There's not many hockey movies out there or worth the while except a few so give this one a slapshot and maybe you'll like it and have a few laughs to go along with it.

Doug Glatt (Seann William Scott) from Massachusetts, feels ostracized from his family, his father (Eugene Levy) and brother both being doctors. One day he attends a minor league hockey game with his friend Pat (Jay Baruchel). Pat taunts the visiting team during a fight and one of their players climbs into the stands. Doug, in defense of his friend, quickly knocks him out, which prompts the rest of the crowd to cheer him on. Soon after, Doug gets a phone call from the coach of his hometown team who offers him a job as an enforcer, a player whose role is to protect his teammates and act as a deterrent by hitting or fighting opposing players who take liberties with his teammates.

In the meantime, veteran enforcer and Doug's idol Ross "The Boss" Rhea (Liev Schreiber) is demoted to the minors after serving a 20 game suspension for slashing an opponent in the head from behind. Three years prior, Rhea hit and concussed the highly skilled prospect Xavier Laflamme (Marc-Andre Grondin) who has had trouble recovering from that incident due to the fear of being hit, being stuck in the minors and falling in with the wrong crowd. After earning himself the nickname "The Thug", Doug is called up to Canada and hired by Laflamme's team, the Halifax Highlanders, to protect Laflamme and be his roommate.

The Highlanders experience success with Doug as their primary enforcer, and he quickly gains popularity among fans and teammates much to the chagrin of his parents and Laflamme, particularly after losing ice time and the alternate-captaincy to Doug. Doug becomes romantically involved with Eva (Alison Pill), a hockey fan with a penchant for players.

With 4 games left on their schedule, the Highlanders need two wins to secure a playoff spot. On a road game in Quebec, after an opposing player concusses Laflamme with a heavy hit, Doug savagely beats the player unconscious and is suspended for the next game against Rhea and the St. John's Shamrocks. Doug encounters Rhea at a diner, where Rhea dismisses Doug's claim that he is a hockey player, calling him a goon. Rhea warns him that if they ever meet on the ice, he will "lay him the fuck out." The Highlanders, with Doug suspended and Laflamme hospitalized, lose to the Shamrocks.

Doug reaches out to Laflamme, and promises him he will always have his back on the ice. In their next game, the Highlanders lead 1-0 thanks to renewed teamwork between Doug and Laflamme. In the dying seconds, Doug blocks a slapshot with his face and his ankle is broken in the ensuing scramble. The Highlanders win, but need a win against Rhea and the Shamrocks in their last game for a playoff spot.

After two periods, the Shamrocks are beating the Highlanders 2-0. Rhea and Doug drop the gloves in the third period, and dole out and receive physical punishment during the fight. Doug is knocked down first, but Rhea calls off the referees and allows him to get back up. Doug manages to break Rhea's nose, but breaks his previously injured ankle in the process. Doug manages to stand back up and knocks out Rhea with a vicious cross. Eva and his teammates help a seriously injured Doug off the ice and Laflamme, inspired by Doug's efforts and Rhea's demise, scores a hat-trick to lead the Highlanders to a 3-2 victory and a play-off berth. While being comforted by Eva in the locker room, Doug victoriously comments, "I think I nailed him."