57% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Goonies Reviews

Alice S

June 1, 2014
So freakin' stupid. The exposition sets up all the boys' distinct personalities, only to squander the rest of the movie with unmotivated action and bland yet frantic adventure. None of the boys' traits really play into the solving of the puzzles except the stereotypical techie Asian's. Mikey's dweeby hamartia of asthma doesn't even provide an obstacle or suspense. Stuff happens to the boys, and nothing is too dangerous or scary to warrant any real emotional investment in their journey.

Also disappointing, much like with "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" and "You're killing me, Smalls," quotable gems like "Goonies never say die" and "Sloth loves Chunk" are completely lackluster in context. As for the former, I expected it to be a real club philosophy, a rallying battle cry born of a previous adventure during which they almost died but didn't, therefore cementing their stalwart courage in the face of certain death! "Goonies never say die" is only said once as a throwaway line without set-up or follow-up. As for the latter, could Sloth BE more disturbing as a child's nightmare come to life? He's the monster with soul, but the love is just played for laughs instead of true pathos.
Jens S

June 13, 2006
Classic 80s adventure comedy with that certain suburban Spielberg feeling that will never fail to entertain on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
michael e.
michael e.

March 21, 2011
Literally, everybody in my high school class had seen this movie, and we watched it one day in Earth Science (For Some strange reason) and i thought that it was okay, somewhat funny, but i just felt so left out, when everyone in my class said that they had seen this movie but i hadn't
KJ P

March 23, 2010
"The Goonies" captures the emotions of kids to perfection, as each person has their own unique characteristic, which is what each actor has brought to the table, I know, but it works so well in this film. The adventure feel of this film is awesome and for nostalgia purposes, this film can be viewed multiple times without ever getting old. With quotable lines and quirky performances from everyone, this is a cheesy children's film I will always remember. The simple idea of a group of kids leaving their town for one last adventure has never been so much fun to watch. It's not perfect, and the script is not great, but the film is very well made and directed. This movie rocks!
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
Funny and exciting with more than just a hint of nostalgia. Full review later.
Lucas M

December 30, 2011
A true Speillbergian adventure experience.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 20, 2011
At times the film is too noisy and obnoxious for its own good. Even for the audience its aimed at. But its one of the few movies that can appeal to most audiences with a good blend of laughs, thrills, action and adventure and an innocence that modern kids film dont have.
Phil H

August 8, 2007
Oh my god the movie of my life when I was about 11 hehe used to build dens in the garden and attempt to build booby traps as well hahaha this film influenced me bigtime. Had a huge crush on Kerri Green too, so cute :)

Total Spielberg with all the set designs, look of the film and 'Indy' type adventure, its basically 'Indy' for kids lets face it. This really is the perfect kids yarn for all ages with a perfect blend of rollicking fun, cheeky dialog, a touch of gentle romance and a roster of characters that most kids can relate too in one way or another.

The film starts with that lovely 80's pure Americana feel based on the Pacific north west coast of the US in Astoria, Oregon. Donner handles the film with apparent ease as the young cast travel outside of their comfort zone and into the depths of the countryside and beyond looking for treasure, its so basic yet it works so well.

Allot of this is no doubt down to the cast which is the highlight of the film apart from the amazing set work. Who can forget any of these guys? they are all classic characters, do I even need to mention any names? I think Feldman as 'Mouth' was always a favourite when I was a kid and I also tried to be inventive like 'Data'.

As said this film was very influential when I was a kid, I wanted to be a Goonie and have adventures with the gang, it played a big part in my young life as did many other classic 80's flicks and I think that explains it all really.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 6, 2007
Classic 80s movie when it was just clean fun. A group of kids set off in search of hidden treasure. Full of adventure and fighting baddies.
Alexander D

June 27, 2011
An average film; not likely to be remembered.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 23, 2011
The Goonies is one of those childhood films that still remains relevant to you even if you're an adult. The film is a classic. With their homes at stake of being foreclosed and their neighborhood becoming a future golf course, A group of misfit kids band together one afternoon and accidentally discover a pirate map. Thus they begin a search for the missing treasure of One Eyed Willy. Watching The Goonies brings back fun memories of my childhood. The film is one of those gems that doesn't seem dated and you can watch over and over again and still find amusing. The story is exciting, funny and thrilling. Director Richard Donner directs a great cast of actors. Including a very young Josh Brolin and Sean Avery. Honestly, I couldn't believe it was Brolin and Avery. The Goonies is a wonderfully crafted adventure film. The young cast may seem familiar to many as you have Corey Feldman (Friday The 13th part 4, The Burebs, The Lost Boys) and Jonathan Que Quan (Short Round, Indiana Jones and The Temple Doom) The story is fairly simple, but it's a very entertaining one at that. I grew up watching The Goonies, for me it's one of those timless childhood favorites such as The Sandlot, The Secret Garden, Casper and Toy Story. All those films bring back memories. But The Goonies, unlike any other film that I saw when I was a kid, made a pretty big impact on me. When I first saw it, I was astounded with it. I had so much fun, the characters, the humour, the pirate themed adventure. The Goonies is a film that should be watched and cherished by families everywhere.
erika250
erika250

April 11, 2011
The gonnies about 2 kids that found out that they are moving in couple days. The kids decide to have their friends over and they search the house for something to do. They found a map and they decide to follow it. A long the way they came on booty traps and getting stuck into the tunnel. Will they find the treasure and get out alive or will they stay there forever.
Pros
Good plot and acting
Good action. It keeps me at the edge of the seat and kept me guessing on what will happen next.
Nicki M

January 4, 2008
I watched this when it first came out at the movies. I was 12. I think I liked it well enough back then, but it was not a film I loved and would watch over and over like 16 Candles or Pretty in pink.
I actually don't think I ever have rewatched it until now. What can I say? While vastly superior to some of the crap that is made now for preteens and teens, it is definitely one for the boys and it doesn't, to me anyhow, stand up to repeat viewings as an adult.
The characters are well written and a good cast. One of Corey Feldman's better roles. Also Kerri Green - a pity she retired from acting young. She was a relatable girl next door type I always enjoyed on screen. Sean Astin is also good.
Maybe one to watch with the kids in your life.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 2, 2011
Childhood classic
Lady D

July 28, 2006
I suddenly realised I'd never watched this film, had only seen parts through clips.

Not usually my taste in film, it's what I would call a "boys film" yet I liked the characters and it made for easy watching.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

February 13, 2011
"Goonies never say die!"

A group of kids embark on a wild adventure after finding a pirate treasure map.

REVIEW
Every kid has imagined what it would be like to go on great and glorious adventures. Pirate ships, police chases, treasure chests full of gold and surrounded by human skeletons with patches over the eyes, the inherent excitement in the possibility of a cavernous wonder world beneath the very streets where they live. The Goonies is about a group of kids who have grown up together and are about to be torn apart because their parents are being forced to sell their homes. In the attic of one of their houses (Mikey, played by Sean Astin), they find an endless supply of fascinating things - treasure maps, paintings, cryptic writings in strange languages. They find a map that sounds promising, and decide to see if it has any value, hoping to be able to find enough treasure to prevent their parents from losing their homes.

Not only was The Goonies a brilliantly written, directed, and acted movie, but it was also so much fun! The adventures of these kids through the underground world, while being chased by the despicable villains known as the Fratellis, are fascinating to watch. The Goonies is a great cinematic experience. It has everything that anyone who was ever a kid could ever want. Even the elaborate sets are very convincing.

The sense of adventure and hope that are presented in The Goonies is very uplifting and inspiring. The lovable characters are perfectly developed and endlessly entertaining. Many of them, particularly Sean Astin and Corey Feldman, delivered the best performances of their future careers right here in this early adventure film. This movie can be enjoyed by virtually anyone, which is one of its best values. It is truly timeless, and it should not be missed.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I love this movie, it's an awesome adventure and kids movie, a classic! I highly recommend it, it's so much fun!
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

November 16, 2010
This movie (although not watched in many years) will always have a place in my heart.
YodaMasterJedi