The Goonies Reviews

March 30, 2015
If you're a kid of the 80's you've got to love this movie!
March 30, 2015
A few characters can be annoying, but the suspense and sense of adventure make this enjoyable for all ages.
March 24, 2015
Really now,who doesn't love this movie????
March 23, 2015
Seeing this movie get a 68% is proof that critics take their jobs too seriously.
March 16, 2015
It's a shame I waited so long to watch this lovable classic! So good. (Eighties movies are the best.)
July 14, 2008
Just too good! The Goonies is one of the American classics and one of the best adventure films ever made. It's also in my list of top 10 all-time favorites. Maybe it's because I grew up with it, but I still enjoy it equally the same as an adult. This is one of those films that you can appreciate and have fun with at any age. It's the perfect adventure story, and it's an absolute blast watching these iconic characters go on the ultimate treasure hunt. Everything about this movie is perfect. You have a great script, hilarious characters and dialogue, 80's pop culture and awesome action and adventure. I've probably seen The Goonies 200 times, and I will surely watch it 200 more. Simply one of the best!
February 26, 2015
A true 80's kid's movie, but also timeless. Action,comedy, suspense, adventure. It's all there.
½ February 22, 2015
"The Goonies" starring Josh Brolin, Corey Feldman, Sean Astin, and Jeff Cohen, was one of my favorite movies, growing up. I was be mesmerized by this movie as a child. When you are a child, watching an all child leading cast, who are transported into their world and actually go on this adventure with these kids. By the way, this proves you can cast child actors who really cab act. I am now 36 years old and watched this again the other night, and loved every minute. This is one of those movie classics that just takes you back to a special place. I love "the Goonies" and I believe this movie holds up today with it's terrific action sequences and is really great fun for the whole family.
February 22, 2015
The Goonies never gets old
February 9, 2015
A bit dated, but that's part of the fun. It's kind of a kid's movie...kind of, but there's enough dirty jokes to keep an adult's attention, an adventurous innocence for kids, and a great story for both adults and kids!
½ February 2, 2015
I have only one possible answer for why so many people like this film: Nostalgia.

Well, take the nostalgia glasses off. This film sucks.

For the longest time, I couldn't even articulate why I hated this film even as a kid.

There were a million odd plotholes and wacky plot elements that kept distracting me and bugging me, from the villainous family's prison escape to that stinking piano of bones to the moving pipes. I know it's an adventure, but those things still bugged me all the same. The characters were unlikable and obnoxious, at least to me. The fat boy was there to be an obnoxious fat boy, like in every family movie at that time. The hero boy played by Sean Astin was about as bland as you get. The Asian kid... makes gadgets. The fourth kid is a jerk to the Hispanic maid, which has elements of racial/ethnic insensitivity. Speaking of racial/ethnic insensitivity, the villains have to remind you via stereotype practically every scene they're in that, yes, they are, in fact, Italian.

But the biggest problem with the movie? The thing that made me cringe every time I watched it?

I. Hate. Sloth.

I don't care how many memes get made of him, how many T-shirts get sold with his face on it along with the quote "HEEEY YOUUU GUUUUYS!" I hate Sloth. Why? Because I am autistic, I was placed in a special ed class with other mentally challenged kids in the third grade, and for years had to tolerate a lot of crap from other kids and even a teacher calling me a "retard". Yet here is this walking, talking caricature of a mentally handicapped and physically deformed person being the butt of jokes in this family film. My sister tried telling me, "But he's sympathetic. They portray him as one of the good characters, and his treatment at the hands of his family is shown in a negative light." I would accept that argument, if not for the fact that they make him the butt of a lot of the movie's jokes just as often. I mean, the mother tries to calm him by singing "Rock-a-bye, Baby", but when she gets to the lyric about the cradle falling, Sloth freaks out and his mother says, "I only dropped you once! .... Or maybe twice." Yes, the old baby-dropped-on-its-head-becomes-a-fucking-retard joke I've heard a million friggin' times before, most recently on an episode of Game of Thrones. It's not funny, and the joke really just needs to die a quick death. On top of that, at the end of the movie, the fat kid outright tells Sloth that he's going to come live with him now. It's played up to be heartwarming. I find it condescending. "Awww, Mom, I got a new puppy!"

I'm sorry, everyone, but to me, Sloth is the blackface of mentally handicapped depictions on film.
January 30, 2015
Funny and exciting with more than just a hint of nostalgia. Full review later.
January 18, 2015
Film de aventuras de principio a fin con la marca de Spielberg , nostalgia de los ochentas sigh!
January 18, 2015
The greatest kids adventure film of all time.........screw it greatest adventure film of all time Period!
½ January 3, 2015
This was one of those childhood films that'd escaped me over the years, so I finally gave it a spin for Movie Shame Monday, and I have to say that I found it charming, but it naturally didn't enchant me that same way it might have had I discovered it around age 11 or 12 as most folks I know apparently did.

Worth a look, but make sure you see it young enough to get the full effect.
½ January 3, 2015
I can't decide whether it's a PG or a PG13 movie, but it's got the childish elements of adventure with a good dose of naughtiness that makes for a few laughs.
Robbanflix
December 29, 2006
A nice old classic movie from the 80s. One of the better adventure movies ever made. The story is from Steven Spielberg maybe thats why :) . Some young kids finds a treasure map and they are going after the treasure. On the way they gets problem with some robberies. Many famous actors here like a young "Sam" (from LOTR) A must see !
½ December 27, 2014
I get a kick out of this movie.. even at the same time, I think that it's a little creepy that a little fat kid gets into a semi-romantic relationship with a mutant... it was an innocent time I guess. Goonies Never Say Die!!! Can we get the adult sequel already? My interest is peaking.
½ June 30, 2012
A fun 80s classic. (A)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording and requires another viewing)
½ November 13, 2014
The children who constitute the Goonies only really exist in the mind of Steven Spielberg, who produced and created the story. He sees boy children as fast-talking, fun-loving, dream-chasing rascals. Girl children older than, say, Drew Barrymore in "E.T." are valuable as targets and instigators of boys' sexual precociousness, but are mostly just taggers-along on boys' adventures. How much you like "The Goonies" depends in part on whether your perceptions of childhood are as simple and limited as Spielberg's, or whether you see with the jaded eyes of an adult who wants something more from a movie than a middle-aged producer's wish fulfillment.

The plot of "The Goonies," a quest for buried pirate treasure on the northern Pacific coast, owes a lot to Mark Twain's tale of Tom, Huck, and Becky in Injun Joe's cave. Twain's kids were wise beyond their years and rough around the edges, a bit like Sean Astin's "Mikey" and Corey Feldman's "Mouth." But they were also complex figures with rich inner lives, not comic stereotypes like Ke Huy Quan's "Data," who does gadgets, Jeff Cohen's "Chunk," who loves food, and Kerri Green's "Andy," a girl who shrieks and likes jewelry and kissing. Twain's dialogue was characterized by colorful turns of phrase and carefully-observed dialect, but Chris Columbus's screenplay is all shouted exposition, easy barbs, and convenient moments of wisdom.

The shouting is the hardest to tolerate as an adult, and unfortunately it is ceaseless. The movie's head baddie, having bundled the Goonies out of the room, exhales a line we're probably supposed to disagree with: "Kids suck." During the brief respite from the noise, it's hard not to share her sentiment. The Goonies are pretty obnoxious, but the movie doesn't know it.

Whatever their flaws in the character department, Spielberg, Columbus, and director Richard Donner are no slouches when it comes to cinematic spectacle. "The Goonies" is longer than it should be, but it moves so fast that it seldom lags. The dungeon and pirate ship sets look great, and for buffs there are plenty of winking homages to great adventure films like "Captain Blood," "Tarzan," and "Raiders of the Lost Ark." As if to compensate for the underwritten child roles, Dave Grusin's musical score does a great deal of emotional lifting and at times obscures the ubiquitous screaming.

Even if you find the Goonies less than lovable, the filmmakers' fondness for them is apparent and a little infectious. A final scene on the beach gives each child a neat resolution and some parting words (several of which are painfully unearned) before capping things off with a moment of hushed, magical awe. However uneven the underlying content, it is hard to resist the appeal of a totally un-cynical moment of Spielbergian wonder.