The Goonies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Goonies Reviews

December 2, 2015
Horribly overrated in my opinion. I don't see what the big fuss is with this movie. It's kind of interesting, I get the nostalgic appeal, but nobody except the deformed guy is memorable (and I can't even remember his name, he's the "hey you guys" character). I know people lose their shit over how supposedly amazing this movie is, but I didn't see the appeal. But then again, I wasn't wearing my pair of nostalgia glasses when I watched it.
February 21, 2011
Quite silly at times but mostly good fun.

A group of kids set out to find a legendary buried treasure in their small home town. All they have to go by is a several centuries-old map. As if things weren't already difficult enough, there's a band of hardened criminals after them too...

A fairly uneven movie. Is a decent adventure with some great moments, especially comedic moments, and some rollicking good fun, but is also quite silly at times. There's so many scenes that are random at best and sub-plots that add nothing to the movie. Anything involving the character Chunk you knew would just be plain irritating and involve a lot of mindless screaming...

Performances vary too. There are some stars-of-the-future in the cast - Josh Brolin, Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Martha Plimpton - and they give solid performances. However, consistent with the irritating nature of the character he played, Jeff Cohen almost ruins the show as Chunk.

Kids will love the movie. Adults may be a bit more subdued in their views.
½ November 3, 2015
Disjointed creepiness.
October 31, 2015
It was an absolute treat watching this film with my 4 year old son. This movie will continue to be amazing for generations to come. 5/5
October 15, 2015
A very fun family, adventure film
October 14, 2015
Very sweet just a little bit headache inducing
October 12, 2015
The Goonies is memorable, thrilling, and funny and is a must see!
½ October 4, 2015
Seen the house in real life Astoria. Loved seeng movie again on its 30th anniversary at Hayden Orpheum double retro night with The Lost Boys.
½ December 30, 2013
Such a classic 80s action comedy. It has it all and is nostalgic and creative as well as fun and exciting. The cast was great and the story itself was a lot of fun. The dialogue and comedy aimed towards people of all ages made it fun for everyone!
July 18, 2015
The Goonies is a very funny movie. It follows seven kids who find a map and go on an exciting adventure. It was quite an adventurous movie filled with lots of action and laughs. The characters were cool and enjoyable, and the movie was exciting. A very good movie for all ages.
June 19, 2011
Loved it who doesnt?, kind of a guilty pleasure we all know it is.
September 12, 2015
Only 69% by critics?!
I think that's awful.

This film is really really good. In fact, I'd say it's a masterpiece of a kids/family movie. It is so fun and holds nostalgic value for a lot of people (I think. That's a presumption actually).
The score is also very good.

I don't really have any complaints about this movie. It's a gem in family movie history I think.
November 15, 2006
ok movie. Good adventure. Big in the 80s
½ January 28, 2009
I just watched this again because it was on TV...I forgot how funny this movie was
August 31, 2015
One of the best from the 80's. Reminds me of a time before iphones and ipads, when as kids we had adventures and used our imaginations.
Mark H.
½ August 22, 2015
The Goonies is a classic Spielberg/Chris Columbus mid-80's comedy/adventure which incorporates elements of films like Gremlins and Raiders of the Lost Ark, with kids in place of Indiana Jones. Donner does a decent job directing the film, but it's really Spielberg who dictates the action and story here. The story is impossibly hokey and lacks credibility, but if you can suspend disbelief for a couple hours, the characters are fun, the kids are energetic, the sets are exciting and very much like a less serious Raiders. Spielberg must really love coming up with booby traps and elaborate obstacles and sets. The bad guys are bumbling and not really very threatening as much as comical (like bad guys in John Hughes' movies like Home Alone). Sean Astin and a young Josh Brolin are fine, and Anne Ramsey as the evil matriarch is memorable. Overall, it's a fun comic book/theme park thrill ride which was probably alot of fun to make, and it shows in the result. It's silly, it's a kids' movie, but who doesn't remember The Goonies from their past? It's a part of pop culture, and that speaks volumes about what this movie meant and still means to people. It's fun and a nice escape and excuse to eat popcorn in front of your TV.
October 14, 2012
An entertaining and special film where kids are the main event. This movie has it's special and amusing moments, and the delivery is awesome. Some lovable characters and great thrilling scenes, The Goonies is an old favourite of mine. It's also funny to see the actors that we know today acting in what may be their first film.
April 24, 2014
This movie is a downright classic. It definitely stands the test of time. It's fun to watch and you also see some familiar faces in there younger years.
August 18, 2015
A Childhood every kid wished they had. Total perfection.
August 12, 2015
A good 80's movie that is action packed thrill ed and entertaining for everyone! The basic story for me was really simple it's about these groups friends that go to reveal the treasure of one eyed willy and their quest for gold but the fetellies try to find the treasure before they do. And also featuring Cyndi Lauper as her song featured in the movie "Good Enough". Definitely a movie that's entertaining for all ages