Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey Reviews

FilmFanatik
½ November 24, 2007
Dynamite little film. I love Sigourney in everything, so I could be a bit biased.
February 19, 2007
An insight into the life of Dian Fossey, this a great film
January 31, 2007
Messed up movie about the woman who studied the gorillas.
deano
December 17, 2006
Sigourney Weaver, who plays the true-life anthropologist Dian Fossey, goes slightly bananas trying to protect her beloved mountain gorillas. Remarkably, it's almost impossible to tell the real monkeys from the guys wearing the suits and, partly because they have no dialogue, they are often more interesting to watch than the humans.
September 13, 2013
Weaver embodies Fossey the conservationist and Fossey the unmovable force who likely created her own demise. Call her the anti-Jane Goodall.
September 25, 2008
I saw this as a little girl and remember one particular scene that still haunts my memories and nightmares. I saw it again yesterday, and that scene was perfectly exact as the memory in my head. The best part of this movie is the beautiful landscapes of Africa and the amazing cinematography and performance by Weaver. It's a crappy ending but hey, it's a true story, and they gotta tell it like it is.
July 2, 2010
Michael Apted's captivating true-life drama based on the life of Dian Fossey, played with real conviction by Sigourney Weaver, in a brilliant Academy Award nominated performance, she journeyed to Africa in 1967, with no prior experience, to document the vanishing breed of wild mountain gorillas for the National Geographic. Her transformation from diligent researcher to obsessive protecter of the gorillas from illegal poachers, who are killing the apes is compelling. The scenes with Weaver's interaction with real silverback gorillas is extraordinary and quite moving, you can almost feel her heartfelt compassion for these magnificent endangered animals. Astute direction by Apted, with breathtaking cinematography by John Seale, and a wonderfully lush score by the late great Maurice Jarre. Solid supporting performances by Bryan Brown Julie Harris, John Omirah Miluwi, Iain Cuthbertson, and Ian Glen. An amazing and heartbreaking motion picture. Highly Recommended.
½ August 23, 2010
The film is bogged down by a tedious love story and I was disapointed it didn't spend more time on Fossey's all out war to protect the Gorillas. While she did do a lot of important research, what is infinitely more facinating was the near insane lengths she went to in order to protect these animals and even to avenge them. Sigorney Weaver is very good, but the film doesn't allow her the opportunity to fully explore the character.
½ January 8, 2009
Great actors can carry a film a long way and in this one Sigourney does a magnificent job. This coupled with the beautiful photography makes a film worth watching.
November 5, 2007
A straight-forward film version of Dian Fossey's wife, which is entertaining and touching, as you might expect from a film about cute animals, who are at the same time the target of poaching and extincting. It is a shame that the film makers toned down the dark sides of Fossey's life, merely touching on her struggles with sickness and mental instability towards the end of her career. In the film, it looks as if her condition and struggles were merely a result of her experiences on the mountain ranges instead of suggesting that she might have been a tad instable or eccentric in the first place. I understand why the filmmakers chose to go down that road, but in the end, it makes the film much more one-dimensional and shallow than it could have been.

All in all, the film celebrates the love for animals and the work with animals as well as the singular passion of an individual for his or her work but fails to depict the complex nature of her problems with the local people and government. Alas, what else can one expect from a film that is bound in its scope by a limited running time and box office expectations.

It is still worth your time and the lead performances by Weaver and Brown and dedicated, warm and enthusiastic.

H.
DrStrangeblog
½ May 20, 2011
Probably Sigourney Weaver's best performance as naturalist Dian Fossey. Normally she receives and excels at ice queen roles or at kicking ass, here she's kicking ass through activism and displays a rarely seen fiery passion.
hawkledge
August 23, 2009
True story of naturalist Dian Fossey who saved Mountain Gorillas from brutal butchering at the hands of poachers. Important movie, upsetting, sad, reminding that such inhuman crimes continue while animals have little or no protection. Beautiful cinematography. Sigourney Weaver revealed as an outstanding, gifted actress.
June 2, 2009
I thought this was an excellent movie. It was extremely well done and interesting to watch, especially for an animal lover. It was heartbreaking, but I think a great tribute to a great woman.
January 4, 2009
Well done bio pic on Diane Fossey. She was a very brave humanitarian working to stop the senseless slaying of Africa's Gorillas. Touching at times but very angering! A good watch.
DrLappos
July 12, 2007
Powerful...........
March 27, 2016
Gorillas in the Mist does have weaker characterization, not that good editing and one repulsive and too violent scene, but this is mostly such a good movie that is important for its story, but also very emotional and even devastating at times. It is also beautiful to look at and it features probably the finest performance in Sigourney Weaver's career.
½ April 5, 2011
A beautiful bio pic with an amazing performance from Sigourney Weaver. Great writing, sound, cinematography, and score too
½ April 15, 2015
Weaver's best work about a woman who helps protect then gives her life for her beloved gorillas......just really well done.
June 20, 2012
Timelessly relevant. Weaver gives her best performance next to Ripley in "Aliens". Incredible gorilla FX by Rick Baker.

Strong box office for its content: $61 million worldwide. 5 Oscar nominations including Best Actress (Weaver).
February 5, 2011
I never watched this when it came out back in '88. Just watched it (2011) and thought it was a pretty good movie. It made me a bit upset with those poachers and the ending really sucked, especially if you don't know what happened to Fossey. Overall I'm glad I watched it finally after 23 years.