• PG-13, 2 hr. 10 min.

Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey Reviews

FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

November 24, 2007
Dynamite little film. I love Sigourney in everything, so I could be a bit biased.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Good, well balanced biopic, one of Sigourney Weaver's best performances!
Lady D

February 19, 2007
An insight into the life of Dian Fossey, this a great film
Jason S

January 31, 2007
Messed up movie about the woman who studied the gorillas.
deano
deano

December 17, 2006
Sigourney Weaver, who plays the true-life anthropologist Dian Fossey, goes slightly bananas trying to protect her beloved mountain gorillas. Remarkably, it's almost impossible to tell the real monkeys from the guys wearing the suits and, partly because they have no dialogue, they are often more interesting to watch than the humans.
John B

September 13, 2013
Weaver embodies Fossey the conservationist and Fossey the unmovable force who likely created her own demise. Call her the anti-Jane Goodall.
Dannielle A

September 25, 2008
I saw this as a little girl and remember one particular scene that still haunts my memories and nightmares. I saw it again yesterday, and that scene was perfectly exact as the memory in my head. The best part of this movie is the beautiful landscapes of Africa and the amazing cinematography and performance by Weaver. It's a crappy ending but hey, it's a true story, and they gotta tell it like it is.
Alec B

August 23, 2010
The film is bogged down by a tedious love story and I was disapointed it didn't spend more time on Fossey's all out war to protect the Gorillas. While she did do a lot of important research, what is infinitely more facinating was the near insane lengths she went to in order to protect these animals and even to avenge them. Sigorney Weaver is very good, but the film doesn't allow her the opportunity to fully explore the character.
Nicolas K

January 8, 2009
Great actors can carry a film a long way and in this one Sigourney does a magnificent job. This coupled with the beautiful photography makes a film worth watching.
Henrik S

November 5, 2007
A straight-forward film version of Dian Fossey's wife, which is entertaining and touching, as you might expect from a film about cute animals, who are at the same time the target of poaching and extincting. It is a shame that the film makers toned down the dark sides of Fossey's life, merely touching on her struggles with sickness and mental instability towards the end of her career. In the film, it looks as if her condition and struggles were merely a result of her experiences on the mountain ranges instead of suggesting that she might have been a tad instable or eccentric in the first place. I understand why the filmmakers chose to go down that road, but in the end, it makes the film much more one-dimensional and shallow than it could have been.

All in all, the film celebrates the love for animals and the work with animals as well as the singular passion of an individual for his or her work but fails to depict the complex nature of her problems with the local people and government. Alas, what else can one expect from a film that is bound in its scope by a limited running time and box office expectations.

It is still worth your time and the lead performances by Weaver and Brown and dedicated, warm and enthusiastic.

H.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

May 20, 2011
Probably Sigourney Weaver's best performance as naturalist Dian Fossey. Normally she receives and excels at ice queen roles or at kicking ass, here she's kicking ass through activism and displays a rarely seen fiery passion.
hawkledge
hawkledge

August 23, 2009
True story of naturalist Dian Fossey who saved Mountain Gorillas from brutal butchering at the hands of poachers. Important movie, upsetting, sad, reminding that such inhuman crimes continue while animals have little or no protection. Beautiful cinematography. Sigourney Weaver revealed as an outstanding, gifted actress.
Sarah P

June 2, 2009
I thought this was an excellent movie. It was extremely well done and interesting to watch, especially for an animal lover. It was heartbreaking, but I think a great tribute to a great woman.
Lee K

January 4, 2009
Well done bio pic on Diane Fossey. She was a very brave humanitarian working to stop the senseless slaying of Africa's Gorillas. Touching at times but very angering! A good watch.
DrLappos
DrLappos

July 12, 2007
Powerful...........
dotsi12
October 1, 2009
that was an excellent movie. It was amazing to see how people can communicate with gorillas. Loved it !!!!!!!
wise4ever1010
August 20, 2009
I remember this movie... it was wonderful,passionate and heartfelt...Sigourney came into view to me after she gave an awesome performance in this movie...She really made me feel for these gorillas!...lol...I wasn't even thinking about Gorillas until I saw Sigourney Weaver portray this caring animal lover...she made me want to visit the zoo after I saw this movie...lol..don't watch it ..if you have no plans to visit the Zoo!... I shall be watching it again tonight..and I guess it's been awhile since I've taken the kids to the Zoo...Oh well...lol
majinshake
June 18, 2008
Alwats respected Dian Fossey, but I thought this movie was alittle too boring when you consider the type of work she was known for.
JaredsBaby
April 13, 2008
Another great movie a true story about a women who studied and lived among the Gorillas and her not wanting anyone to come up on her mountain where she was studying her Gorillas.
April 29, 2007
This opened my eyes to the world of Africa and how important it is to save its wildlife. And to the brave Dian Fossey (RIP).