Gothika - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gothika Reviews

½ November 18, 2015
Despite convincing performances, Gothika's storyline descends into an absurd menagerie of twists and turns and loses most of its fright factor along the way.
½ November 11, 2015
Halle Berry's performance, psychological questioning, and atmospheric cinematography all help to make Gothika an effectively creepy thriller.
October 4, 2015
An intriguing set up transforms in a thriller that runs by the numbers, but some scenes are worthwhile. Gothika delivers some fright.
September 17, 2015
Hilariously bad, it's indeed one of those "so bad it's good" movies! C+
July 10, 2015
Just a tiresome viewing experience.
½ June 11, 2015
Gothika is genuinely chilling but ultimately too silly for me to recommend. Would the psychiatric ward really take in their own psychologist if she was accused of murdering her husband? If the ghost is good, why is she slamming Halle Berry against the walls? Also, why does the ghost blow fire out of her hands?

This is all very entertaining, nonetheless, but it's just too flawed.
April 14, 2015
An awesome film......
½ January 14, 2015
Really crappy nonsense. I don't understand why talents such as Halle Berry and Robert Downey would even bother signing up for something as awful as this.
January 11, 2015
A movie with quite a lot of not make sense flows.

However, the ability of the director of telling a story to his audience. The camera angle, the colour, the scene and the flow of the story. The main actress, however, not very impressive.

The movie is good to watch
December 27, 2014
Ugh. I don't know. I watched it. And I found myself looking at the clock, wondering when it was going to wrap itself up and still make a little sense. What started as an interesting psychological thriller evolved into a supernatural, campy prison movie, even with the typical women's prison shower scene. It tries so hard to be a scary thriller, but movies don't get A's for effort, especially if they fail at execution. If Halle Berry weren't in this movie, would anyone have even seen it? Ugh. I guess I do know. Skip it.
October 30, 2014
Gothika is a outstanding thriller that uses a dark gloomy asylum with a exciting dark grisly tale that will forever make it a gothic masterpiece in my eyes.
October 23, 2014
Haven't watched a few years this pretty good story... Reminiscing the following scenes after each significant moment, but sill... In my life it is 10th year anniversary since the day I've watched this story first time... And I still thinking, there something were concealed, I mean for a full understanding something missing...
½ October 10, 2014
Berry is a very good actress and the best special effect on this film. Good screenplay with twist and turns that makes this film better. What makes this film more stupid is the tittle that nobody understand.
December 30, 2008
Ultimately, pretty poor, still ticks a few of my boxes though.
September 4, 2014
I was intrigued at what could possibly be the ending - and it was a terrible ending...
August 5, 2014
June 18, 2014
Despite the seemingly bad reviews this is one of my favorite intellectual thrillers. Horror? Not really. Continuity is sporadic but I feel that adds to the dark, confused, insanity theme. Great gothic/grunge/industrial asylum kinda feel, good acting by Berry and Downey overcome dialog, I've easily watched this movie 10+ times. Naysayers have no imagination, dark movie lovers rejoice. The song at the end (Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes) music video was this movie and complements it amazingly.
½ June 6, 2014
Gothika is lackluster as a horror movie, but as a mystery it's decent enough.
June 5, 2014
A few creepy moments. Nothing more.
March 29, 2014
Directed by Mathieu Kassovitz (La Haine (1995), The Crimson Rivers (2000) and Babylon A.D. (2008), produced by Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis and written by Sebastian Gutierrez (Snakes on a Plane (2006)), this dark horror film has some good ideas, but it's let down by pedestrian plotting and derivative scares, despite the best efforts of the cast, who are wasted in this supernatural thriller. Psychiatrist Dr. Miranda Grey (Halle Berry) works at a mental hospital, and while driving home one night, is possessed by a ghost. When she wakes up, she's restrained in the mental hospital where she works, and is told by Dr. Pete Graham (Robert Downey, Jr.) that she murdered her husband Douglas (Charles S. Dutton). Miranda can't believe this accusation, as she can't remember it. She's forced to conform to hospital life, which means bonding with her former patient Chloe Sava (PenÚlope Cruz). But, one night, Miranda witnesses something happening to Chloe, which could explain as to why she's been banged up. Director Kassovitz seems to have had bad luck while working in Hollywood, maybe this and Babylon A.D. should convince him to stay away. It has shades of Samuel Fuller's Shock Corridor (1964), and this is a film which should have been made 40 years previously, as it might have been better.