Gotti

Gotti Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 16, 2014
Richard Harmon's Gotti enthrals with the first frame. Brilliantly acted and directed, especially for a made for TV movie, Gotti is one of the finest made for TV films that I have seen in quite some time. Starring Armand Assante is a standout lead performance; Gotti is a brilliant drama about the Teflon Don, and his rise in the Gambino Crime Family. For a small production, Gotti is a very good film, one that is elevated by an impressive cast of talented actors that really make this a terrific viewing. The story at times is a bit unfocused, but you see glimpses of what makes for an effective gangster movie, if the film would have had a bigger budget, a more ambitious script, then who knows where this film could have gone. The film has its shortcomings, but it overcomes them with a powerful performance from Assante, who is perfect here. Like I said, due to the film's limitations, Gotti relies on the cast to really push the film. The result is an accomplished, and entertaining made for TV movie that is a well crafted affair for those interested in a good low budget gangster picture. Of course, the budget constraints show, but that doesn't stop this from being a worthwhile, well acted picture that is sure to entertain viewers for a pleasant time waster. For what it tries to do, it's one of those films that deserves more praise, and it's also a finely executed made for TV film that is far better than others in the genre. Considering that it's a film that uses minimal elements, it's able to pull off an entertaining two hours and it's a film that ranks among the finest made for TV films. Gotti isn't perfect, but the performances, story, direction and over all execution are what makes this an entertaining genre picture.
Jeffrey M

August 9, 2011
Gotti is a gritty, well acted, and complex look at the rise and fall of John Gotti. I thought Armand Assante did a terrific job as John Gotti, slick, bombastic, but also nuanced. It's inevitable to compare this to Witness to the Mob. Witness to the Mob was superior from a factual standpoint, covering much more ground in its' three hour run time than Gotti. Ultimately I'd have to go with Tom Sizemore over Armand Assante for the most accurate depiction of Gotti, as Sizemore mastered Gotti's flare of arrogance and naiveté to an extent that Armand didn't quite get up to. At the same time, William Forsythe as Sammy the Bull was superior than Sammy's portrayal in Witness to the Mob. His personality as cold, calculating, and ambiguous, surely matches Gravano more closely than the positive spin Witness took on him. Overall, Gotti is better from a filmmaking standpoint, with sharper, more realistic dialogue.
Sarah P

November 23, 2009
I was bored and couldn't get into this movie. I think it was because it was just like every other mob movie I've seen - there was nothing unique about it.
April 22, 2010
The best modern Mob movie!
Armand Assante as John Gotti is THE Godfather, second place from Marlon Brando.
This movie had everything that makes a mob/mafia movie worth watching; respect, hits, loyalty, money, even getting away with crime.
Some very good Italian actors in this film that had starred in other similar films; Godfather, Sopranos, & Mickey Blue Eyes.

This is one movie that should not be missed!
endeavourcrellc
January 15, 2009
Absolutely awesome movie, and one Incredible performance by Assante.
Listen VERY carefully to the speech that you hear at the beginning and end of the movie, becasue the last part it true.
Great movie all around.
October 8, 2008
Gotti is very well produced and offers some very solid performances. It's polished, first-person perspective flows like an extended "Sopranos" episode.
Aside from a complete lack of vilification of Gotti the criminal, the film has the chops to sit at the top of the mob-movie playlist.
annemcelvain1
April 16, 2008
Scott Cohen plays brother to John Gotti, and he's got steamy Pacino-like intensity. This Gotti family is like if Sonny were elevated to the top, and Michael were his lieutenant. Very intense, and fulfulling when the Teflon Don finally gets it in the end.
July 24, 2007
I remember a film called "Getting Gotti" with the extremely bad Lorraine Bracco which I'm sure was dire. However, "Gotti" is a lot better. It tells the true story of Mob kingin, John Gotti (Assante) and follows his rise and fall from the mid 1970s to his imprisonment in the 1990s. As a gangster movie, the familiarity with the storyline is instantaenous; plenty of double crosses, assasinations and organised pillaging - there are also many familiar faces from previous gangster flicks too. Assante is accompanied by his father-figure, Neil (the ancient Anthony Quinn), the respected DB (Frank Vincent) and his partner-in-crime, Sammy (Forsythe).

The cast are terrific and infact it is the strength of the characters which make this film stand out from the many gangster movies that sit on the video store shelves with Forsythe and Assante delivering powerful, commanding performances. For a change it is all accompanied by a decent script and is well directed with its 2 hour duration flowing steadily and without let-up.

"Gotti" is one of the better action dramas for some time.
September 9, 2014
Watchable made for TV mob flick. Armand Assante does a fine job.
January 18, 2013
Pretty decent take on the rise and fall of one of the most beloved organized crime bosses. Unfortunately, it lacked any real excitement and drama like other mobster films. Armand Assante's performance as Gotti was amazing though.
October 1, 2012
any movie w/ armande assante is awesome! he's wonderful
Ben W.
April 27, 2012
For the subject matter I felt that Gotti told the story of the rise and fall of a Gambino crime boss rather well. The characters drew me in extremely well because near the end of the movie I found myself outraged at Sammy for being a stooly. A nice surprise when expectations are tempered.
Jeffrey M

August 9, 2011
July 21, 2011
the rise and fall of the ambitious gambino crime boss john gotti..............done brilliantly by the uncanny resembling armand assante as john gottin
Jonny B

June 16, 2011
There's so much story here and yet this is almost free of story, what the hell? It's like taking a small bite from a fucking wedding cake and poorly and boringly conceived and directed.
RyanTupy
January 18, 2006
This was a sweet made for HBO movie about John Gotti. I think that it was top notch and definatly will buiy it.
gnewtdabuckeye
February 22, 2005
i thought forsythe did a really good job and assante done a fantastic job as john gotti