Goya's Ghosts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goya's Ghosts Reviews

June 1, 2015
The unspeakable horrors and cruelty of the Spanish Inquisition comes across clearly here, even amidst the bloodshed or poverty of 19th century revolutionary Europe. Good performances all around and shot well, telling a suitably tragic but fair-handed story. In some senses, it reminds of 1973's 'Giordano Bruno.'
February 28, 2016
3 ud af 5 oliemalerier. Langtfra Formans bedste film, men jævnt underholdende og bestemt værd at se på grund af Bardem og (især) den 'grimme' ælling Portman, der her varmede op til at springe ud som sort oscar-svane tre år senere.
February 15, 2016
Beautifully mounted and well acted, Forman's final film lacks a focused narrative or consistent theme to make the most of its historical setting in a rapidly changing Spain.
January 15, 2016
It was okay if your really into Goya as an artist.
July 21, 2007
Natalie Portman's best role.
½ September 18, 2015
Confusing but the acting is good....nothing special.
August 2, 2007
I'm a little intrigued with this one. Plus, Natalie Portman is in it and it would be a treat to see her in something other than 'Star Wars.'
August 27, 2015
Quite an interesting story of people in Goya's life - I don't know enough about his work to say how much of the movie is based on images out of his paintings and drawings, but just to watch his process of art was worth the movie.
½ September 20, 2014
Super film. I see that I give it a much higher rating than most.
I've seen it twice now and enjoyed it both times.
It's painful, poignant, powerful.
I recommend it to all above age 15.
May 17, 2014
this is giving nightmares besides the ghosts.
March 17, 2014
Mais um filme cujo argumento se perdeu pelo caminho...
February 16, 2014
The only film I've seen in which Portman actually acts instead of moving around with a pained expression. A +
January 5, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ December 4, 2013
Bardem does a good job in a movie that, while not necessarily up to viewer expectations, gets the job done.
July 11, 2013
Not generally a fan of period pieces - I only watch them when a favorite of mine is in them. In this it is Natalie Portman, and I am surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Stellar performances by Portman, Bardem and Skarsgard had much to do with it. The look at the Spanish Inquisition and that time period was interesting, and I feel well handled. The costuming is good, Goya and Inez are likable, and though the Church isn't shown with much respect and reverence, you can't deny this period of Christianity.
July 2, 2013
What a hot mess of a movie. Stellan Skarsgård and Javier Bardem both kinda phone it in as celebrated painter Francisco Goya and a flip-flopping monk who rapes a girl wrongly imprisoned as a heretic. This was also during the late-aughts era of NaPo's awkward and repetitive acting choices, which included such disasters as "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium," "The Other Boleyn Girl," "The Other Woman," and "Brothers."

One big problem I have with the movie (aside from the senseless plot and torrid pacing, which I can't even comment on further) is the lack of accent-work. I understand that big period pieces such as this cater to an American audience, and as such, historical figures from myriad countries speak English with an anesthetized, historical-sounding British accent. This movie doesn't even offer that! It's a weird olio of Skarsgård's Swedish, Bardem's Spanish, and Portman's American. ALSO, Goya still speaks perfectly after going deaf.
½ June 28, 2013
Natalie Portman characters are terrific , Javier Bardem is just neat and the movie is near perfect. Liked this one
June 16, 2013
I thought the movie depicted the corruption in the old church very well. I don't see how it's seen as having a confused plot, it was very obvious in my opinion.
½ April 23, 2013
En udmærket film og et fint 'portræt' af Goya. Samtidig en udmærket periodefilm, men det der gør denne film ekstra seværdig er Javier Bardems præstation. Han er bare en sej skurk og en meget dyster skuespiller. Absolut OK underholdning.