Grace Of Monaco - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grace Of Monaco Reviews

½ May 15, 2014
This fictionalized portrayal of Grace Kelly's life is a relatively absorbing character study until it finally decides to glamorize her with sacred music and a godlike back light behind her in a heavy-handed, hagiographic third act that feels terribly embarrassing.
hawkledge
½ June 4, 2014
Monaco and France in 1962 made abundantly easy.
June 26, 2015
Four stars because I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie. Based on real events, loosely, but it did what a good historical drama is supposed to do. It made me want to know more. It is not an overview of the life of the Princess, just a snippet. I'm glad I didn't read the reviews first.
June 18, 2015
Why wasn't Kidman's hair blonde? Grace Kelly was a beautiful blonde. In every other way Kidman was perfect. Rainier was completely miscast. It was all lovely, but the historical accuracy can't be trusted, and it's just sad such an inspiring, beautiful woman's story wasn't told.
January 18, 2014
Tim Roth is probably the only great thing about this movie. He gives a stellar performance and also a wonderful score and some nice costumes but the movie as a whole speaks merits on why it went from Cannes Opening Night Movie to Lifetime Original Movie. Nicole Kidman is all over the place with this performance. She has some nice moments but stumbles with the accent often. It also seemed sluggish and uneventful but that also could have been because I watched it live with no fast forward capability (which is also Lifetime's fault there were so many commercials). It also is really glossy in cinematography and just made the film look off
December 6, 2014
Even with strong performances by Kidman and Roth and appealing cinematography, this film fails to capture the legacy of Grace Kelly.
½ September 16, 2014
So I got a chance to watch this on a plane and actually enjoyed it despite most of the negative buzz out of the festival circuit and a non-existent American release.
Above all the film looks fantastic (even on a crappy back-of-seat plane video screen) and Kidman looks absolutely stunning as one of the most stunning woman to ever live.
I tend to enjoy even the driest of political dramas so the plot here had me mostly hooked even though it definitely deflates toward the end with little pizazz.
So although not a great film, its also not the disaster some have claimed it to be.
½ September 1, 2014
What a great movie - I am not sure why it got panned from the critics, I thought it was fun to watch and learn about Grace Kelly and all she went through when she was married to Prince Rainier III.
July 19, 2014
I had been looking forward to this film for some time... And then the reviews from Cannes film festival came forward and trashed it, shoving it back onto the shelf to go unseen. The film itself is not nearly as bad as the critics consensus. However, it isn't good either. While there are some beautiful shots to be found and Kidman has her moments, the overall aim of the film is thoroughly missed. Rather than give us the big picture of a Grace Kelly, we get a snippet of her life, that all in all gets sucked down into boredom with it's poetic excuse about what exactly was "the most important role of her life..." and how we can all wind up in a fairie tale without expecting to do such. Well, I hate to say it, but a clever fairie tale reference about princesses is not enough to make the film work and all bit of romance and wonderment disintegrates before it can gain enough momentum. I was actually expecting this to be super-camp with the words that had been put forth about it. But, it isn't even that. This is not "Showgirls" bad, where dramatic intention becomes pure comedy... This is just simply a miss on so many levels... With the lighting and pause of closeups and soft spoken tone, I could not help but think back to Kidman's Chanel 5 commercial. That commercial in itself is Oscar bait compared to this and possesses practically every ounce of what this film was trying to find . I can't say Nicole was actually "bad" in the film. She pulls off what very little she is given to work with... The blame is to be found on a lousy, cliff's notes version of a script, poor direction, and too much emphasis on "Grace" trying to gain the approval of the French people is tedious. Every time the story was starting to cross the bounds of getting interesting, the glimmer would vanish.
This would have been so much better had they simply told the story of Grace Kelly-- an Academy Award winning actress, swept away from Hollywood and into political royalty to never return to the screen and die a tragic death...
This film is tragic for all of the wrong reasons...
Final Grade: "D"
½ June 6, 2014
a microscopic look at the microcosm, Monaco. this movie intentionally stirs up the royal spats between the prince and the Philadelphian princess, and posits that grace is not inherent but put on and performed, like a starring role. Roth and Kidman do admirably in this regard, but with so little source material to work from, I was tempted to just ditch the movie midway, in favour of a rescreening of Kelly's classics.
½ March 4, 2016
..did nothing for me...
January 10, 2016
Contrived, yet beautiful. Why were her eyes always distractingly red?!
½ January 8, 2016
I love Nicole Kidman, and she is beautiful and very good in her role. Unfortunately, the film isn't as good as Nicole is. The writing and editing were a mess. It all looked pretty though.
June 15, 2015
This movie proves that soft fluff can be comfortable and pretty, if not substantial.
December 7, 2015
bucking the trend here... Donna and I liked it
½ May 15, 2014
September 20, 2013
Ok movie. Not quite what I expected, but a somewhat interesting take on Grace Kelly.
½ September 12, 2015
Nicole Kidman is actually quite good as Grace Kelly, but she's adrift in a film otherwise populated with hammy overacting. The combination of a very serious plot with near-parody performances results in a movie that is best described as little bit goofy.
½ May 6, 2013
Even when the anachronic film fails into historic accuracy, performances are not convincing and a dull script... The enjoyable part comes between the tension of war and a strategic use of public opinion with the 60's glamour.
August 9, 2015
I had assumed this was going to be a movie star biopic , and I rather like movie star biopics, ( Chaplin etc ) even those made for TV ones. I wasn't expecting much, just a nostalgic trip into old Hollywood and some nice shots of Monaco, probably topped off with a state funeral. That's not what you get here, you get a tale of political history ( I've no idea if it's based on fact and quite frankly I don't care), Grace Kelly's input into the affairs of state can really only be guessed at and as a fan of her movie career quite frankly, " I don't give a damn". Nicol Kidman is truly aweful here ( and I usually admire her work) , she's stiff as a board , she's painfully aware she's nothing like Grace Kelly in any way, a fact the director is continually enphasising by shooting only parts of her face ( as if to say " this may help you think it really is Grace Kelly") this just gets embarrassing . The will she, won't she, story about her appearing in Marnie is drawn out too, we know she doesn't so why go on about it, and I've always understood Rainier put his foot down and told her she couldn't play a cleptomaniac murderess ( not mentioned in this film but a more plausible explanation than the one put forward here). So if you want to watch a film about how Nicol Kidman saved the royal family of Monaco, you might just enjoy this, but if you want to watch a biopic of Grace Kelly there are better ones out there.