Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer Reviews

December 29, 2014
UHHH...okay? This is one of the strangest Christmas films ever made. I recently caught it on TV and I hadn't seen the damn thing since it originally debuted on TV back in 2000. 14 years later, whilst flipping through channels, I saw that it was on and I my immediate response with a grin on my face was, "Holy shit! I haven't seen this in years!" For whatever reason, I was excited to rewatch this relic from childhood even though it had been so long since I had seen it.

Yes, admittedly, the film is quite corny...and frankly, bad. But it was bad in a strangely amusing way that was also endearing to me for whatever reason. I guess it was something that appealed to the B-movie fanatic in me, but it also has a certain charm going for it with all the ridiculous Christmas cheer sprinkled on top. I can't lie, I love this stupid film, and I will never be able to justify to a sane person why I enjoyed it so much.

The story revolves around a boy named Jake Spankenheimer who is very close to his grandmother. His grandparents run a store called Spankenheimer's which while small, is a beloved part of Cityville, especially during the holidays.

However, the city's richest and most powerful man, Austin Bucks, wants to buy it like all the other stores in the city and despite his generous offers, Grandma Spankenheimer refuses to sell, much to the chagrin of Cousin Mel who starts to formulate a plan to get Grandma to sell the store and make the family rich.

Cousin Mel decides to sabotage Grandma's fruitcake in the hopes of sending Spankenheimer's into financial ruin, giving Grandma no other choice but to sell it to Austin Bucks. But the sabotage has an unexpected effect when Grandma leaves home to bring the fruitcake to the store when she suddenly gets run over by Santa and his reindeer, which Jake and his grandfather both witness.

Grandma, however, is now missing after the bizarre incident, which devastates Jake, but delights Cousin Mel since she will now have an easier time trying to sell the store, which she does by tricking Grandpa into signing the deed over to her. Jake finds out what happened and meets with Austin Bucks who agrees that the sale will not go through if Jake can find Grandma in a week.

Now, Jake must go searching for his grandmother not only because she is dearly missed (Well, by him at least. The rest of the family doesn't seem to give a flying fuck that Grandma's missing and possibly dead), but also to save the store since she has to be found in order to negate the sale of the store. In the process, he goes on a bizarre journey involving Santa, the elves, amnesia, kidnapping, a court trial, and more to stop Cousin Mel.

The story is insane. I went into as much detail about the plot as I could to give you an idea of what it's about, but it's actually even weirder than what I described. The scenarios are so outlandish and bizarre that they become oddly fascinating by themselves, while also raising random questions the film surely didn't intend (How strained is Grandma's relationship with the rest of the family? Only Jake actually cares when she goes missing, not even Grandpa - her husband - gives a shit, either). I know the film is meant to be goofy, but with all the strange tangents it goes into, it's hard not to be fascinated by its lurid madness wrapped up in holiday tidings like some surrealist film or psychological film. One thing's for sure: I definitely wasn't bored by the story.

The voice acting is also fascinating in itself, especially how the actors are put into such strange characters and work their way into an insane storyline. Though working with something so bizarre, the actors are lively and fun as they bring their strange characters to life. I enjoyed the performances across the board even though they were very over the top and quite corny.

The film's bizarre blend of comedy and adventure was a lot of fun to watch. I laughed both when the film wanted me to and when it didn't want me to. Plus, with all the bizarre scenarios involving kidnapping, fraud, and Christmas cheer, there was a lot going on for a film that was only 50 minutes. For a B-movie fanatic there are all sorts of strange things to observe here.

Overall, this film is indeed very stupid and mostly a ridiculous exploitation of an already stupid country Christmas song. Still, it's one of the most fascinating and bizarre messes I've ever seen. I've seen very strange surrealist and art house films that weren't nearly as insane as this children's Christmas special was. Still, this is a film I will no doubt continue to treasure in future years because it has very weird charms going for it, plus my stubborn nostalgia which seems to always leave the rose-colored lenses on...and I wouldn't have it any other way.
February 10, 2014
this movie is complete and utter ass... and a disgrace to animation itself
½ November 24, 2013
interesting story from the song, but, poorly done and didn't event include the Rovers for the music
½ December 4, 2013
Cute Movie :) Not much with it
Frisby2007
December 5, 2012
An abomination to animation. All this movie does is piss off your intelligence to the point of making it painful to watch.

All this movie consists of is horrible animation, appalling & preposterous voice castings (one of the worst things in this sequence of moving characters), an out-of-the-dumpster plot & story (seriously, Santa gets sued), annoying characters, horrible songs (the song this crap was inspired from is actually pretty good, but gets irritating after a while), & an overall bad animated film.

Now, while this movie sucked, & it is actually one of the worst animated movies I have ever seen, it is not the WORST I've seen. That spot is already taken by the Titanic animated movies, & The Little Cars.

Plot/Story: The plot of thefilm should be pretty obvious from the title; a kid's grandmother gets run over by one of Santa's reindeer. So from that, you wonder how you can possibly extend it to 50 minutes. Well, apparently the animators of this found a way by adding a grandmother that lost her memory from that impact & then somehow lost her memory while also being taken care of at Santa's workshop, an evil gold-digger cousin named Mel that wants to take over the family business from her own great aunt at any cost along with an accomplice (appropriately & creatively named Ms. Slime) & then sell it, & Santa Clause getting his ass sued by that same accomplice & evil cousin.

Yeah, from that, you can't expect a good film with those plot elements thrown in. All of them are incomprehensible & do not make anymore sense as they go by.

Cast/Acting: Casting choices are loaded with no-names, & they are all done wrong, seriously. It's like whoever directed this movie just asked the actors to voice whichever character they're fingers randomly landed on & go from there. Not only are the casting choices for the characters bad, but they are also horribly done; no character in here with the exception of Cousin Mel & Jake sound anything like they're characters. Grandma sounded like some annoying half-wit that seemed to have gotten a squeaky toy stuck in her piehole, grandpa sounded like some obnoxious guy who was in his early twenties & hadn't yet hit puberty, & Santa sounded young as well, nothing like the jolly fat old man he is supposed to be.

Songs: As far as I can recall, there were only less than a handful of songs in here, next to the main theme song of the movie. But by handful, I actually mean I can't remember any other songs in here other than "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" & "Grandma's gonna sue the pants off of Santa". I will admit, that as random as "Grandma's gonna sue" was in the film, it was actually pretty catchy. But hearing it again & again more than 3 times a day or every few days would drive me insane (because the lyrics are actually the same over & over again).

Animation: It sucks. The animation in here is not only inconsistent, but also choppy, & very cheap. There are a handful of moments where the animation is pretty clean & smooth, but the rest of it is just awful. Heck, a lot of the character's looked deformed! I swear I noticed how one of Cousin Mel's gigantic tits (I think it was the right boob) shrunk & regrew every frame for about 10 seconds!

Everything else in this is just crap. I understand TV-made films are on liited budgets, but this is no excuse. Disney's "Beauty & the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas" was done by the Disney Television animation industry, & even that movie had some beautiful animation for a TV-animated movie.
December 8, 2012
Good song. Horrible movie.
January 26, 2012
It doesn't matter how many times I see this at Christmas, I always end up forgetting half of what was in the movie.....probably because for such an incredibly average and cliched Christmas movie, it's a really cheesy average and cliched Christmas movie. Nevermind the lazy animation and the only half-heartedly engaging story, but the songs are just lifeless, the characters are either stupid or annoying, and if the terrible song on which it is based isn't what drags it down, the voice acting will. None of the voice-acting performances here are particularly memorable despite the cast of very familiar voice-acting regulars who have been such great contributors to the cartoons we all love. Jake Spankenheimer is not a particularly engaging character, his family even less so. Grandma Spankenheimer's voice sounds like something ripped from a Looney Toon short, and don't even get me started on the female cop who constantly pops up. Also, am I the only one who finds their last names somewhat suggestive?

On a whole, the film is pretty harmless and the animation may not be the worst I've ever seen, but it's a very bland film with only modest entertainment value and its lessons of the holiday spirit and family only shine at very few select points. I can't say I ever liked the song on which it was based either, it being in itself obnoxious for what so many seem to consider a classic Christmas song. The song didn't do it for me, and neither does the movie, which doesn't hold a torch to the Rankin/Bass shorts that were made from even more primitive effects than this one was.

But what the heck. Maybe you all will find something to enjoy in this movie. On a whole it's really just a "eh" movie, but I guess it could do worse, so maybe it's got some heart to it I just have trouble finding .
January 3, 2012
kinda stupid, but pretty funny in relation to the song
December 4, 2011
Don't ask me to give a specific reason for liking this movie - I just know that I do, for the same reason some people love Velveeta......Watching it now...and enjoying it immensely!
November 26, 2011
A lot of these newer Christmas specials are hard to watch and forgettable, but this one is just entertaining enough. While you may not make it a annual Christmas tradition you will may want to check it out every few years or so.
December 13, 2010
Great song but the movie ruins Christmas
June 28, 2010
This is by far the worst christmas special i've seen in my life. i can't think of a single redeeming factor. all teh charecters are annoying as i'll get. the songs are terrible. this story rapes the song that was lovable and cute.
½ June 28, 2010
This is a delightfully silly Christmas film with lines & lyrics to make you laugh out loud. The lead characters come over strongly, animation is good and the message clear. However the songs that make this film a must see.
January 3, 2009
I LOVE THAT MOIVE I ALWAYS SEE IT AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ December 24, 2008
this movie sucks. it's on tv every day for several weeks leading up to christmas. the animation is lame, the story is lame, the music is double-lame.
December 10, 2008
no thanks not my kinda thing
June 30, 2008
i lov the show n mostly the song
June 15, 2008
Flaw: whole thing appears to suck.
½ March 5, 2008