Weekly Ketchup: New Grapes of Wrath Adaptation In Development

Summary

Because Independence Day is on a Thursday this year, this week's Ketchup is a much slimmer crop of movie development stories to recap, and so what you'll see here are several stories that probably would not have made the cut in other busier and longer weeks. Included in the mix are new adaptations of classic novels The Grapes of Wrath and The Sound and the Fury, new roles for Nicolas Cage and Helen Mirren, and a remake of Jacob's Ladder. Back to Article

Comments

Sir Phobos

Sir Phobos

Sounded all rotten to me.

Jul 5 - 07:31 PM

Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson

I agree.

Jul 5 - 09:43 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Why does the dude on Rotten #4 look like that?

Jul 5 - 10:21 PM

Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson

I agree.

Jul 5 - 09:43 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Discount Tom Hardy is making Turk.
On a side note, why do so many people think Nicolas Cage is an awful actor? He is brilliant. He plays whacky characters because he knows how to do it unlike Johnny Depp.

Jul 5 - 10:08 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Because 2 out of 3 movies Nic Cage does are unwatchable. Don't get me wrong he has the potential to be brilliant in films ala Adaptation or Leaving Las Vegas, but he also makes more than his share of Wicker Man's, Ghost Riders and Seasons of the Witch.

Jul 5 - 10:56 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Wickee Man was a fun movie.

Jul 5 - 11:53 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

He dressed in a bear suit and ran thru the woods. I agree Wicker Man was a good movie, unfortunately the good one didn't star Nic Cage, it starred Christopher Lee.

Jul 6 - 04:41 AM

Willem DaPerson

Fun does not necessarily equal good.

Jul 6 - 06:59 AM

Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott

Personally I liked Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence. Not cuz it was a good movie (it wasn't), I just thought Nic Cage's performance was hilarious. He wasn't bad in Kick-Ass either. Hated Wicker Man though.

Jul 11 - 06:54 PM

King of the Snoots

Ryan Brown

The only time I had fun watching Nic Cage play eccentric was "Adaptation," the other forty times I thought he was just overacting. Even his voice acing is lousy.

Jul 7 - 08:13 AM

Brett Van Boven

Brett Van Boven

I'd argue the Depp point but you obviously aren't a big fan so, point taken. Much as I love Cage...it's because he's fallen into the "Do movies for a paycheck" role recently so he loses a bit of credibility. Still a good actor though, just needs to refocus a bit (aka "KickAss").

Jul 8 - 02:05 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Why does the dude on Rotten #4 look like that?

Jul 5 - 10:21 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 5 - 10:56 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Wickee Man was a fun movie.

Jul 5 - 11:53 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 6 - 04:41 AM

Willem DaPerson

Fun does not necessarily equal good.

Jul 6 - 06:59 AM

Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott

Jul 11 - 06:54 PM

Kelly Walsh

Kelly Walsh

Lol Rotten #4 looks like a pic from the old Conan O'Brien skit If They Mated (still trying to figure the two celebs combined, maybe Sarah Silverman and Ron Livingston? )

Jul 5 - 11:08 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Wickee Man was a fun movie.

Jul 5 - 11:53 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 6 - 04:41 AM

Willem DaPerson

Fun does not necessarily equal good.

Jul 6 - 06:59 AM

Overfed Jed

Overfed Jed

First time I've ah seen Cage in the fresh section in IN a ah long time.

Jul 6 - 03:29 AM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

now i really can't stop laughing! Yes it is nice to see him in fresh with Zwigoff.

Jul 7 - 02:29 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 6 - 04:41 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Cage will play a "man who's trapped in a marriage to a shrewish wife [who] falls in love with a prostitute."

So the wife falls in love with a prostitute?

Jul 6 - 05:15 AM

Willem DaPerson

More pressing than bad wording, however, is the fact that this idea is actually considered fresh.

Jul 6 - 06:59 AM

John Tyler

John *

WHY DO WE NEED A FUCKING JACOB'S LADDER REMAKE??!!!

Jul 6 - 05:34 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

We don't.

Jul 8 - 11:41 AM

Boring-ass week.

Top Story: I don't think a Grapes of Wrath movie will appeal to anyone other than Steinbeck fans, or those who saw the original (and there's probably significant overlap to be found there). This hardly qualifies as a top story, surely.

Fresh
No. 1: I know Nic Cage is a good actor and all, but considering his career trajectory, and the director's lack of appeal, and the stupid plot, Should this really be in the Fresh developments?

No. 2: This sounds like a semi-plausible good idea, though honestly, I'm more interested in learning what horrible choice led to Helen Mirren adopting that hairstyle, over the film itself.

No. 3: Sports biopics don't concern me in the slightest, and the actors are hardly a reason to get hyped up, so this story, while fresh, surely won't appeal to a great deal of people.

No. 4: I don't care how many people Woody Allen can attract to his films, the guy is ridiculously scattershot, and the sooner he realises that he should drop the annual film act, the sooner he can get back to decent films at a higher rate.

Rotten
No. 5: I like James Franco, he's got big things ahead of him, but this Faulkner malarkey does absolutely nothing for me.

No. 4: Gettin' real tired of book series' being the big thing, especially when you consider that Harry Potter is the only one that was really, really good. Just because you can write a trashy novel (Something Potter wasn't), doesn't mean that it will translate to Hollywood gold. The cynicism to be seen in this is astounding.

No. 3: See above.

No. 2: This is hilarious, and I would probably see it, just to onserve what a catastrophe really looks like.

No. 1: Jacob's Ladder? Really?

Jul 6 - 05:58 AM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

uh? Cage a good actor!? The man has one expression. And don't give me the Oscar nod reason.Cuba Gooding won an Oscar once so that has no cred at all anymore.

Jul 7 - 05:59 AM

Willem DaPerson

Cuba got a lucky role, one that he could adapt well to, and that got him an Oscar. Cage is a legitimately great actor, he just has a habit of appearing in bad films. He does receive critical acclaim when he takes a good role (Bad Lieutenant PoCNO, Adaptation, and Face/Off, to name a few), you know.

Jul 7 - 07:07 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Cage is a good actor, his problem is taking whatever shit-excuse for a script thrown at his front step & instantly partaking the role. Have you seen the guy in Face/Off?

Jul 8 - 07:37 PM

Jul 6 - 06:59 AM

Willem DaPerson

Fun does not necessarily equal good.

Jul 6 - 06:59 AM

Teddy K.

Ryan Gavetti

Jeez. The rotten developments this week are supremely rotten. I'm sick and tired of these apocalypse movies, and especially zombie apocalypses. That "Young World" trilogy sounds so damn depressing to read and/or watch, I may as well just invent a time machine and spectate the Holocaust.

And "an homage" to Jacob's Ladder? Make a short film for that. Go to hell.

Jul 6 - 08:23 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

There was a minor hoopla a month or two back when I mentioned I wasn't all that keen on 70's movies, and Janson or some such ninny tried to grief me about it. Well, I'm back with some proof that the Eighties simply had more memorable films.

From Bad Idea #1 t's been a while now that it seemed like pretty much every movie from the 1980s that could be remade has either been remade, or will be soon (Poltergeist, RoboCop, etc.).

Now, why is it that all these 80's films are being remade but you see virtually no 70's films being remade, at all, ever. Just sayin.

Jul 6 - 02:08 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

80s was the decade of cinema, dude. You should've known that if you like films.

Jul 6 - 03:51 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I dunno about the decade of cinema, however I credit the 80's with being one of the most creative decades of film, where movies had that 'magic' and people were excited to go to the theater. It's hard to get excited about much they put out these days.

Jul 6 - 07:09 PM

Willem DaPerson

Hey! Hey, Val! It's 'cause people actually have respect for Seventies Films! *Ducks for cover*

Jul 6 - 04:28 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Hollywood holds nothing holy that can make them money, it's just that few 70's films are worth updating.

Jul 6 - 07:12 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

and by updating I mean utterly destroying

Jul 6 - 10:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yep because they're good enough as is.

Jul 7 - 01:58 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I actually think the 70's were overall the better decade for movies, but the 80's weren't too far behind. The 70's was the director's decade and the 80's were when the studios started taking the reins back over. As to why they aren't trying to remake or update them, that's an interesting question, but it could be because some of the ones they've tried (The Bad News Bears, The Poseidon Adventure) didn't fare real well. Or maybe all the young executives running things haven't actually watched any 70's movies.

Jul 6 - 10:34 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Good movies are good. It isn't any more complicated than that. 1927, 1939, 1954, 1960, 1969, 1974-76, 1982, 1987, 1994, 1999, 2004, 2007. Lots of good years.

Jul 7 - 09:37 AM

Dave J

Dave J

"Now, why is it that all these 80's films are being remade but you see virtually no 70's films being remade, at all, ever"

Maybe because many movies from the 1970's didn't need to be remade! Can you make a better adaption of "The Godfather", "Taxi Driver", "Close Encounters" and "Apocalypse Now" than the directors who made them?

Also, it wasn't until the 1980's which low budget movies became more prevalent! Ed Wood may have started this but it was the 'King of Low Budget' movies director Roger Cormon who made this low budget film making huge aka 'Full Moon', 'Cannon group', "Empire Pictures', 'Troma Pictures' etc..."The Toxic Avenger", "Tromeo and Juliet", "Robot Jox", "Surf Nazis Must Die" are some of the films that came out during the 1980's! The "B" movies name came from the 80's!

Now that I think of it, I can't believe I wasted half of my life watching these low budget movies!

Jul 8 - 01:10 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

80s was the decade of cinema, dude. You should've known that if you like films.

Jul 6 - 03:51 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jul 6 - 07:09 PM

Jul 6 - 04:28 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jul 6 - 07:12 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

and by updating I mean utterly destroying

Jul 6 - 10:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yep because they're good enough as is.

Jul 7 - 01:58 AM

President Pedro

President Pedro

Damn, how long before they remake Citizen Kane now?

Jul 6 - 06:18 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Not long.

Jul 7 - 09:25 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jul 6 - 07:09 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships