Grease

Grease Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 27, 2007
For some reason, it took me until this year to finally see this movie. most of my friends love this movie and I knew the songs so well. But I was pleasantly surprised to watch it!
First, I was surprised by how un-innocent the movie was. Listening to `Summer Loving' could lead one to believe this was a simple story about 50's high school students. Whoops, it's not, it's actually a parody of that. But, that gives it a lot of amusing (adult) humor.
But the most impressive thing about the movie is how energetic it is. They really don't make them like they used to. The music and dancing really gets you excited as you start tapping your feet with the rhythm. Just compare this energy to today's computer-generated films, like Star Wars Episode II! Ewan McGregor reading lines unemotionally to a CGI Yoda? YAWN... John Travolta (really) swinging Olivia Newton-John through the air? COOL!
Hollywood really has lost something. 3 Stars 1-1-2001 (Updated)
Eugene B

January 6, 2013
This adaptation of the 1971 musical strikes the right chords and hits all the right moves. Gracefully filled with flamboyant and electrifying singing and dancing numbers along with the charm and charisma of its two young lovers (Travolta & Newton-John), Grease is the word and the film to portray young love in all its fine ways. 4/5
Eric A

September 25, 2011
As original as movies come, and whose style is still mimicked to this day.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 6, 2008
The greatest musical of all-time! My Mom loves to sing the songs when we watch this too! Lol! :) I love it! :) Just a great movie! :) Just wonderful! You'll want to watch it over and over again!!! :) I love it!!!! :) An absolute classic :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Scott G

October 29, 2011
I am more of an action type of guy, but this film get a good deal of respect from me for it's originality, and the tunes are still recognised, which must mean that 33 years later, it's still remembered.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Wow. GREASE is atrociously overrated and mis-praised. And, yes, I say that after the airing of TV's worldwide annoyance GLEE. GREASE just can't be stood by me. The production is quite flamboyant (and I'm preetty sure no one dressed like THAT in the '50s), and the soundtrack is spunky, but overall, as a whole film production, it's flat-out mediocre. If you want a good dancing flick, go rent DIRTY DANCING instead.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
My favourite film of all time. If this doesn't tell you how amazing it is, I don't know what will. Another timeless classic and the songs make you want to get up and sing and dance along with them. Amazing cast and an exceptional film. This film is what made me love musicals so much. Outstanding and a definite must watch.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
one of my favourite musicles ever i love it well good!!
this movie doesnt need any introduction or even me commenting on how good it is.
This movie is a classic and in its own right is one of a kind and a very good movie that just makes you happy
you'd have to be a hermit not to off seen this movie.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
The coolest 50s musical made post-50s! The songs are catchy, and the story is brilliant and romantic too. I love this movie, and if you like musicals you'll love it too.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 18, 2011
I guess I can see why it was such a huge hit.
Richard C

February 26, 2010
good plot
KJ P

January 27, 2010
Awesome! It has a very good beat to all of it's music and keep everyone going 100% of the time!
Simply Cinema
Simply Cinema

October 2, 2009
I think the goal of every man or women making a musical, especially as musical like 'Grease', is to make it seem believable. Now, that is no easy feet when people brake out in song every few minutes, but Grease has pulled it off like no other musical I've ever seen. It really puts an image in your head of what the 50's must have been like and what it's like being a teen. I some times even say that it's a dirty High School Musical. I wouldn't recommend it to young children. It's kind of on the line between High School Musical and RENT. So you can see my point. I have and always will love 'Grease'.
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
I can't say I'm a massive fan but I love Didi Conn.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
it's always good to see an aussie making it big in hollywood. go olivia! this movie really made dancing and singing cool.
Jennifer X

May 29, 2007
Recently some Youtube video was posted asking which high school cliche musical viewers preferred: Grease or High School Musical? Honest to goodness I was so shocked by that comparison I cannot even honor that terrible question with an answer. How how how could High School Musical possibly compare to this golden classic? As I was watching the video, all I could think about was how homogenized our teen fare has become. Where's the raw sex appeal? Where's the edge? In Grease you can literally see John Travolta lasciviously licking his lips as Sandy bounces down in her tight little black number. It's an awkward scene, but it's so charged with sexual energy you can skate over Grease's many ridiculous moments because it brings something to the - an umph umph umph.

HSM is inherently sexless, the only vestige of it being two blandly goodlooking people who prudishly peck each other on the lips on the end. The "foil" in the form of Ashley Tisdale is a shrew, a caricature who doesn't possess any immediate threat. It's like you stuffed a school with a harem full of virginal Sandys and let them at each other. You can't create these kinds of ridiculous musicals if you're gonna go all sugarcoated on them. Grease works because despite its campy songs and hammy dance scenes, it portrays high school realistically, albeit exaggeratively. For example, Frenchie is the school whore, and she sort of experiences an awakening and comes to terms that she CAN be successful...sort of, as a nail technician. HSM skirts around such issues and the closest thing you can get to social group unrest is the status quo song...which still offers unrealistic caricatures that fleshes out noone and serves up the weak message "It's okay to be SLIGHTLY different."

The thing is, Sandy had to turn into a leather-clad slut in the end because that was the only way she would be able to get John Travolta. This is what real life is about. Nobody wants to be a goody-goody wide-eyed virgin forever; it just doesn't work that way. Not saying that she CHANGED herself or her true essence or whatever, but the virgin thing is only cute at first. It's kind of a coming-of-age thing...or something. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into this. You can't take musicals of this caliber too seriously.
Passenger1986
Passenger1986

February 4, 2007
I can't imagine a film buff who has never heard of Grease, even if they haven't seen it.
I've seen this film countless times and it's still as fun now as it was back then.

I said in my review for Sweeney Todd that a musical needs something to draw my attention. Sweeney had a macabre storyline, Enchanted had the parody nature, Grease has the lyrics. After hearing them for the first time without giving them too much attention, they sound lovely and sweet. Read the lyrics to some songs, however, and you start laughing at how they were able to get past censors and morally uptight people (I'm Sandra Dee and Grease Lightnin' are the best examples here).
It's not just the lyrics, the subplots are a little more adult too. What with discussions of sex and possible pregnancies and you have a clever film masquerading as something a little more innocent.

The characters in this film are strong too.
Olivia Newton-John is utterly devine as Sandy and her song Hopelessly Devoted To You's power has not dulled even in the modern era.
John Travolta gives one of the best performances of his career as the conflicted Danny. He's ready to shake off his old life of man-about-town but his friends still see him as their idol and in that, he is torn. It is that conflict that makes Danny a compassionate character (for the most part). Just imagine what would have happened if the rumored alternate ending had happened. I won't say too much due to how much of a downer it is but even I wouldn't have chosen that and I'm into darker material.

If I have one strike against the film, it's the ending. While Sandy and Danny do make a good couple, it takes Sandy changing her style to be more like Danny for the "happy" ending to occur. The implication seems to be "if you love someone, just change everything and don't expect them to do the same for you". Granted, Danny was trying to change for Sandy but there still should have been a compromise. Sandy could have just become a little more carefree while Danny could have been a little more like a gentleman.

Nonetheless, a powerful musical. Excellent cast and good songs make this a treat.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

September 16, 2008
Grease is the Word!!!! This musical that takes a look at high school students at Rydell High in the 50's is very good.

John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, Jeff Conaway, and Dinah Manoff all shine in this very good movie that will keep you wanting to sing along and dance!!!
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

January 7, 2008
Adult's playing high school kids? People seriously love their crap sugary as hell it seems.