92% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

The Great Raid Reviews

Christian C

March 9, 2014
Terrible, sappy, made-for-TV quality. This film is beneath the caliber of the actors in it and almost trivializes the participants in the real-life event.
Cynthia S

October 29, 2010
Now don't get me wrong this is not Private Ryan,Schindlers list, or Bridge on the River Kwai. What the movie is is a good, true story about a small raid in the Pacific campaign. The mission is to help free 500 POW's from the Japanese before the Japanese try to kill the prisoners. It's well done, and well acted. I enjoyed it.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

July 17, 2008
Although this movie has received criticism for its stereotypical and possibly xenophobic depiction of the Japanese treatment of allied POW's in the second world war, it is in fact a very accurate, fact-based retelling of the events surrounding one of the greatest morale building events for a battle weary America in the second world war. Filmed in the classic style of the WWII movies of the fifties, it is fast paced and does reflect the unfortunate attitude of the Japanese to the prisoners of war, which they held in contempt for the shame of allowing themselves to be captured.

War is hell, but this fact should not detract from the history portrayed, which is accurate. The allies were ultimately the winners in the most destructive war in human history, but individual stories of heroism and courage continue to ring true to one's spirit. especially in our difficult times.

Fine individual performances do justice to the real people who made in through this hellacious experience.

4/5
Al S

September 19, 2006
A stunning and triumphant action-packed adeventure. Powefrul and herioc. A truly effective story. One of the finest war films since Saving private Ryan. It's The Great Escape meets The Thin Red Line. Roushing, thrilling and exhilerating. The cast is remarkable. Benjiamin Bratt and James Franco are simply great. Joseph Fiennes is remarkable
Chris B

September 13, 2011
The film tries to diverge into three different story arcs and while in the hands of capable director's would be a feasible mission, here it really distracts and muddles the film. The film drags along and is split between the different groups and is divided and doesn't flow cohesively Several of the casting choices are odd and distracting to the narrative as well and not until the actual raid itself does the film get exciting. There are some good dramatic scenes in the first half of the film but the pacing was all over the place and the multiple arcs made it choppy. the film simply covers an important event historically and doesn't add anything special or original to it and does a poor job at simply following a cohesive storyline.
Erin C

April 2, 2007
Pretty good, but a little long. Decent cast. Not the best war movie I've ever seen, but it told a good story.
May 30, 2011
Saw this over Memorial Day weekend, it was one of the GREAT WAR Movies Ever.I saved it on Tivo, I want everyone in this house to know about the biggest rescue mission in American History & the Great Lengths they had to go through to make that happen
alienmindtrick
January 10, 2010
Having spent a quarter of my life in the Army, I'm pretty hard on movies depicting the military, especially ones that feature my Rangers. I can recommend this movie to anyone and be glad that I did. Benjamin Bratt's LTC Mucci; Joseph Fiennes' MAJ Gibson; and James Franco's CPT Prince were all military-grade performances, as were many others. I'll watch 'The Great Raid' again, anyday.
December 25, 2009
ok Sam Worthington has a bit part in this. He plays PFC Lucas but he?s behind the guy in line that says he?s Lucas. (the one that?s handed the Uzi, is in front of Sam) The one that says he?s PFC Lucas however played a part I Roswell was also in Smallville & a few other popular shows his name?s Clayne Crawford (Leverage in 2009, Cold Case CSI will be in 24 in 2010 also was in Swimfan) I?m not one for war movies they pretty much bore me weather true or just made as a blockbuster action flick. To me this one dragged interesting maybe its about how 500 POWs are in camp & to go about rescuing them. I?m still only giving it a C
Nayton
Nayton

December 11, 2009
The Great Raid had some major plotholes and was very inexquisite as a war drama but based on facts of the true story, i suppose it made a personal war story of the courage of the greatest of military history. C: So-So.
jscottcorley
September 13, 2009
The raid itself is really exhilarating. There are some wasted plotlines that make the movie longer than it should be.
yomisso
December 28, 2008
this was really good - i think it didn't do so well was because not many of our men died, and they added some random love story that didn't happen (just like titanic and pearl harbor).
Claudia483
November 12, 2008
I watched this from like midnight to 3 in the morning on a school night... It was pretty good, James Franco is soooo hot!
delta2017
November 3, 2008
Based on a true story. I enjoyed how it villanized the japenese. They really were that barbaric towards their prisoners. No amount of whining about 'politically correct' will change that they were monsters to the POWs.
September 30, 2008
Made after the book Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides. I read the book and managed to get through it. This is a great abridged version of the book, catches all of the important parts of the story. The love affair between Major Gibson and Margaret Utinsky is not mentioned in the book and probably the only true fiction in the entire movie, but shows the efforts of Filipinos and Utinsky to help the POW's in the camps.
yodalewis
June 1, 2008
Very well done movie. The story is true and unbelievable. I couldn't imagine what it was like to do such things.
LammJamORama
May 28, 2008
One of my favorite war movies! It's close to my heart, too, since my grandfather was held in Cabanatuan for a while during his POW time.
CRIMSONxKNIGHT
May 28, 2008
A true moment in hisory when we wre at or bravest to resue over 500 POWs. It a eher bravery r just uck. I say it was our valor.
Ida K

January 14, 2008
I watched this during AMC's Memorial Movie Marathon in order to remember and honor our troops. Although war movies aren't my favorite genre, this is based on a true story. The rescue of 500 American & Filipino POWs from the Japanese prison camp at Cabanatuan during WWII.
May 8, 2008
Wow! I was very impressed and touched by this movie, especially knowing that it is based on a true story! Make sure to watch the extra features and see the real men on whom this movie is based.