The Great Raid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Raid Reviews

August 29, 2015
Although many critics obviously didn't find much to like about this movie, I found it very interesting. I had never heard of this event before, and was happy to see a fairly recent movie using fact-based events where the Americans were actually the heroes! Perhaps that is exactly why those critics DIDN'T like it. I generally have agreed with Roger Ebert, and was glad to see that HE gave it a "FRESH" rating.
August 15, 2015
How about the moderate to average raid.
June 11, 2015
Good for the history, but not a good movie.
½ May 25, 2015
The reviews here under rate this film, in my opinion. This is not a couple hours of shoot-em-up (although I like those films, too.) It is a more complex and gripping story of a daring WWll raid that much more reflects what war is like (according to my husband, who served in one.) It shows the brutality, the fear and the human spirit. Roger Ebert says it is much more like a WWll film back in the day, and I think he's correct. We must have reached a new low in attention span if people complain there are too many subplots. If you like older WW films, I think you will like this one, too.
February 25, 2015
Absolutely awful. Wooden performances, awful directing. I guess makeup did ok because they lightly spritzed the leads with water occasionally to simulate hiking, running, and fighting in the Philippines with 100 degree heat and humidity.

Just awful all around. I think Franco was intentionally acting like a dud. All around a joke.
½ February 5, 2015
Watched this amazing movie and is a must see! Got to love James Franco too!
March 2, 2014
This movie was slow and pretty boring all the way to the final raid near the end. Characters were shallow, and too many subplots, so there is nothing really to think about until the end.
½ April 27, 2010
A fantastic true story deserved a better film.
November 3, 2014
A well told true story of a brave effort to save American POWs in Japan at the end of WWII, but somewhat too reverent, and lacking the building suspense of a true masterpiece such as Bridge on the River Kwai.
½ August 5, 2014
It's ultimately too stoic, both in design and performances, even if the pieces fit pretty well together from a surface perspective.
May 26, 2014
A solid telling of a true event, starts and ends with documentary and news reel footage. The planning and execution of the POW camp raid of the Rangers with the help of the Filipinos is awe inspiring.
½ May 23, 2014
ok WWII pic post WWII.
May 18, 2014
BUENA PELICULA DE GUERRA INTERESANTE HISTORIA
½ March 9, 2014
Terrible, sappy, made-for-TV quality. This film is beneath the caliber of the actors in it and almost trivializes the participants in the real-life event.
½ February 16, 2014
At times boring but in the end the film got interesting overall this movie is a solid .
February 8, 2012
Pretty good movie, very good story.
February 3, 2014
A troubled movie that was often delayed before finally coming out. Tells the story of a rescue mission in the Philippines. It tells the tale from a few different perspectives, but this just muddles things. The pacing is off and they don't add to the end product at all. Has a pretty decent cast, but the film is mostly a muddled mess and not as interesting as it could be.
½ January 19, 2014
I like that it includes the unsung heroes--the brave filipinos that fought guerilla style and clandestine; the brave nurses; sure it has some subplots with a little romance but it attempts to show that the war against the Japanese occupation was more than just a single raid. I thought the battle scenes were free of cliche shots: it was refreshing to see solders without the steel pot helmets that were ditched for this particular assault .
½ September 13, 2011
The film tries to diverge into three different story arcs and while in the hands of capable director's would be a feasible mission, here it really distracts and muddles the film. The film drags along and is split between the different groups and is divided and doesn't flow cohesively Several of the casting choices are odd and distracting to the narrative as well and not until the actual raid itself does the film get exciting. There are some good dramatic scenes in the first half of the film but the pacing was all over the place and the multiple arcs made it choppy. the film simply covers an important event historically and doesn't add anything special or original to it and does a poor job at simply following a cohesive storyline.
November 23, 2013
"This is strictly for WWII buffs." I recommend Rescue Dawn or Hart's War. "The story line is telegraphed from word one and the meticulous unfolding plot plods ahead inexorably without the slightest bit of suspense." "The English Patient" angle complicates things unnecessarily and adds a dreary half hour to the film. Once the raid finally starts the relief is palpable, among the POWs and audience. "It lacks both excitement and outrage, and all that remains is solemnity." Which is fitting for the most disastrous loss and greatest rescue mission in US history. There aren't many films made about the Filipino theater, if you are curious about it and a Franco-phile it might be worth a watch.