17% Transcendence Apr 18

The Great Silence (Il Grande silenzio) Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

February 3, 2008
I'm no expert on the genre of Spaghetti Westerns, but this ranks, I feel, as an excellent example. The cinematography is absolutely brilliant-bleak, stark, and quite stunning- a true visual delight.

Jean Louis Trintignant and Klaus Kinski are superb in their respective roles of a mute gunfighter who stands up for what's right and the sadistic bounty hunter he goes up against.

Another highlight to the film is Ennio Morricone's score. It's not as good as the scores he did for Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Westerns, but it's still pretty awesome.

I liked how the film didn't pull punches with the content, especially the ending, and give it props for having an interracial love scene in an era where that was still something very uncommon and bold.

All in all, this is a very off-beat and different film, even for a Spaghetti Western. Go check it out.
Daniel J D

December 30, 2012
Probably tied for my favorite Western of all time with Unforgiven. And if you watch the alternate ending, it practically IS Unforgiven (well, maybe that's a little too far). One of Ennio Morricone's best scores, superb acting on the whole, especially by its costars Klaus Kinsi and Jean-Luis Trintigant; the superb cinematography you expect from classic Westerns, and superb dubbing. Not to mention, it's both incredibly dark and violent and relatively believable. Score.
axadntpron
axadntpron

May 21, 2011
Certainly the most bleak spaghetti western. If you think about it, that is saying a lot.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

August 4, 2007
The beauty of Il Grande Silenzio is that it tells such a dark tale in the most straighfoward manner possible. It forgets about the western myths and goes for the crude aspects of this world. Silenzio is not a hero, just a man defending himself, Loco is not a cartoonish "bad guy", just somebody doing his job. With bountys over the heads of poor people trying to survive private property becomes more valuable than human beings. When the ending arrives it never feels forced or out of logic. It was the only way in which this story could be finished. There are no heroes here, just another pile of nameless corpses, and somebody with more money in the pocket.
Conner R

February 27, 2010
A really drawn out Spaghetti Western epic and completely different from anything else the genre produced. It has a great snow-covered backdrop set at the end of the old west, where the bounty killers rule. Klaus Kinski plays an amazing villian, essentially a more devious and smarter version of his hunchback character from For A Few Dollars More. I really do think this was made way ahead of its time because in many ways it marks the end of the genre. It's very similar to Unforgiven.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

July 3, 2009
The Great Silence aka : Il grande silenzio Made in 1968 A Spaghetti Western Directed by Sergio Corbucci . Thus is the second movie I have watch made by Corbucci, first being Companeros. Both are excellent movies for a Saturday Night. In the Great Silence we have Jean-Louis Trintignant who plays Silence a mute gun slinger who is hired by Pauline (Vonetta McGee) a very beautiful lady. At on point Pauline and Silence develops a interracial romance, a relationship seldom seen in Westerns, Italian or Western back in the day, this added to the final scene with Pauline has the making of something well hidden over the years in the US Theater. Klaus Kinski who plays the very bad guy named Loco (its always keen how Italian Directors think up such cool name for Bad Guys). The ending of this film is like no other Spaghetti Western and I will not give it away. This is one that is unique and a must see. 4 1/2 stars the highest I have given to an Italian Western.
Pierluigi P

August 28, 2008
Two gunslingers, Silenzio and Loco, meet in Utah in 1899's blizzard, where the snowy landscapes will be inevitably splattered with blood.
A bleak western with some atypical patterns, the presence of two great european actors, and a powerful conclusion.
Stephen M

August 9, 2008
This has to be the most downbeat and depressing western I have ever seen. Corbucci's other decent spaghetti western, "Django", was set in a sea of mud; "The Big Silence" is also strikingly set, against a backdrop of heavy snow drifts. If you're looking for a happy ending, don't bother; if you like mountain scenery and bad dubbing, jump right in.
Michael G

May 22, 2007
An incredibly well-done spaghetti western. Completely dismal and depressing although it's absolutely beautiful. It takes a little while to get off the ground, but once it gets going it's totally worthwhile. This has easily got to be one of the darkest endings I've ever seen in a movie and it left me almost completely speechless.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

August 17, 2010
In "The Great Silence," a group of outlaws is holding out in the hills of Utah in 1898. Some of them are getting impatient with promises of amnesty and go back to Snow Hill, ruled by the villainous Pollicut(Luigi Pistilli), and are gunned down by Loco(Klaus Kinski), a bounty killer. In fact, the governor(Carlo D'Angelo) is greatly considering the amnesty, appointing Burnett(Frank Wolff) to be sheriff in the meantime to cut down on the bloodshed. Along comes Silence(Jean-Louis Trintignant), a mute avenger, to aid those who cannot protect themselves.

"The Great Silence" is an entertaining spaghetti western that is raised a notch, not only because of its wintry setting and an absolutely stunning ending, but also its being grounded in a politcal reality, and was quite daring for its time. Set in a period when the frontier was closing and lawmen like Burnett were no longer just referees and started to take an active role in protecting the citizens. This was needed to not only stop the killing by the bounty killers(the movie gets tantalizingly close to bringing up the death penalty) but also Silence who uses the law to his advantage by provoking gunmen into a fight they cannot win. Of course, it is easy to goad a sociopath.
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

April 6, 2010
A snowy Western... fantastic! This time with a mute shooter, who along with the sheriff, are our heros trying to protect the outlaws, whilst the bounty hunters, prefering Wanted Dead to Wanted Alive, are the baddies, led by a menancing and as usual, mad as a bagful of nuts, Klaus Kinski. Excellent music by Ennio Morricone too, and a killer ending
Jonny C

April 1, 2009
The Great Silence is a little known Spaghetti Western made around same time as the man with no name trilogy. If you set aside some awful acting and dialogue, you've got a decent western, with a great baddie, and a worthwhile hero. The ending was definitely not what I was expecting, as it left a sour taste in my mouth.
Patrick D

February 16, 2008
This is quite a different western. I does have all the regular fare: lone gunman, bad guy, gang of thugs, dutiful sheriff. But this film takes place in the winter (!) and deals with the threat of the cold and bandits that kinda blur the line of good and bad, since they are forced out of their town to fend for themselves. The hero is also mute and only kills people in self defense, never draws the gun first. This film does drag at parts but really keeps moving with several aspects of the story to keep track of. What really fucking got me was the end. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. It's no surprise that this film comes from the director of the equaly great and unique Django. If you care for westerns (and especially ones of the spaghetti variety) see this one.
Marion R

May 11, 2007
One of the best Italian westerns ever made. A must watch for any fan western cinema. Really good.
Christopher B

February 19, 2007
What a great western! Another fantastic Kinski performance and a killer ending.
March 22, 2011
One of the grimmest westerns I've ever seen takes place entirely with a backdrop of blinding white, pure snow. Pretty beautiful movie, Corbucci's standout work.
ctblood
July 27, 2009
Never saw a Spaghetti western that was so brutal and bleak, especially the setting in which it was filmed in the snow and mud. The only film I saw in which the hero's killed off and bad guys won at the end.
gagknee
October 3, 2008
Unique in that it's set in the dead of winter in Utah and the cold, snowy terrain is as much of a character as Silence himself. If you've seen all of Leone's movies and are just itchin' to see another spaghetti western, this is your best choice as far as I am concerned. The DVD extra features contain a happy ending which is downright hilarious, too.
Autodidactive
August 9, 2008
Damn...I can't believe I rated a Western. And highly.
Ennio Morricone's score is reason enough for me.