The Greatest Game Ever Played Reviews

½ June 27, 2011
One of Disney's best sport biopics that goes beyond than telling a sporting tale of dreams, hopes and chances, which energize the uplifting, spirited heart of happiness to be undeniably enjoyable. (A)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ August 20, 2015
For someone who loves underdog sports movie this was right up my ally.
June 28, 2015
I liked this one a lot.
A nice story for a broad audience that is well-filmed.
April 3, 2015
The Greatest Game Ever Played takes the true story of the US Open Championship in 1913 and creates an incredible underdog story that anyone could enjoy. Bill Paxton uses the perfect angles to intensify shots and create an atmosphere that leaves viewers on the edge of their seat. The soundtrack also compliments the film seamlessly, but the critical moments of the film are exemplified because the viewer only hears silence.

The movie creates a an accurate representation of the early 1900s by introducing class conflict and anti-Catholic prejudices represented through Francis Ouimet and other characters. Ouimet, played by Shia LaBeouf is an Irish, working-class caddy fighting for his dream against the prejudices of the British and country club members. Throughout the tournament, Ouimet's caddy is a ten year old boy, played by Josh Flitter, whose witty lines and catch-phrases steal the scene almost every time. Stephen Dillane is also exceptional as he depicts Ouimet's lifelong idol, Harry Vardon. Vardon has demons of his own from childhood that he fights against and prevents him from being an equal within the English Society. Almost every viewer will be able to find a character within the film to identify with.

There are very few weaknesses to this film, if any being the length. However, it seems almost necessary to accurately represent the magnitude of the situation and the story. Francis Ouimet's journey throughout the US Open will hold the viewers' attention until the last minute and is a must see for all audiences.
February 26, 2015
Pushes all the right buttons despite being a bit cliche.
½ January 25, 2015
In the early 1900s golf was for rich people only and the British dominated the sport. It was not until amateur Harry Ouimet in 1913 competed in the U.S. Open did all this start to change. This movie depicts this legendary and underdog tale of an amateur taking on two of the British greats. Paxton directs solid performances in LaBeouf and Dillane and the young caddy Flitter. The Greatest Game Ever Played is an entertaining take on a great moment in U.S. golf history.
½ January 21, 2015
Okay, but the computer generated shots were obnoxious. A lot of montages, because there wasn't much story besides what was happening on the links. Some, but not enough.
December 26, 2014
I love this movie ! Stephen Dillane is fantastic as Harry Vardon.
December 6, 2014
While it has its share of clichés, the Greatest Game Ever Played still works, because of good direction, from Bill Paxton, and strong performances from its leads, Shia LaBeouf and Stephen Dillane.
April 2, 2008
I'm not really a golf fan, but the previews looked interesting enough.
½ March 12, 2010
(First and only viewing - 9/14/2010)
July 27, 2014
This movie takes you through one of the most incredible and yet widely unknown upsets in the history of sports. Wonderfully done, engaging throughout, and plenty of golf.
½ September 8, 2013
It's based on a true story. The movie is well-made and entertaining. Shia makes a good job.
March 25, 2014
da heck? How is this film so good? Sports movies notoriously suck but this one was da bomb! I guess the magic is that the writing of the characters for this film is spot on. This had a nice balance of all good things.

SUMMARY: A good film!
December 31, 2013
One of the few movies that I appreciate with Shia LaBeouf now. It was a pretty inspiring movie and I love an underdog story. If you are a golf lover, I would greatly recommend.
December 8, 2013
The Greatest Game Ever Played is in fact a movie about one of the best rounds of golf in the history of the sport but the movie couldn't quite live up to the hype of the actual round of golf. I don't think anyone could do this terrific feet by an amateur justice anyway, but all the movie can say is, "I gave it my best shot." This movie is probably underachieving just because not too many people really care about something that happened a hundred years age, this modern age of sports movies shadow this movie about lowly golf. The story of Francis Ouimet becoming the only amateur to win the U.S. open is a great rags to riches story but the movie simply overplays that aspect. Yes, it is touching that a boy who can't get approval from his coal mining father wins the greatest tournament as just an amateur at the age of 20, but the director tries to get too much out of this relationship and in effect sells the movie short. The fact that Ouimet is "A bloody Amateur" (a quote from a snobby British bloke) and wins by beating the greatest golfer at the time, Harry Vardon, is too good to be true which makes the movie hard to produce. The movie doesn't have enough about the actual round of golf and tries too hard to push through Francis being accepted by his father. The name of the movie is "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and therefore should concentrate more on the actual round of golf.
December 4, 2013
One of my favorite movies of all time! Based upon true events of 1913 US Open. Bill Paxton did an excellent job of creating a well pace movie from the book which can be slow in some parts. I simply love this movie and if you ever wanted to know why I'm such a golf nut than simply watch this movie
August 11, 2011
September 29, 2013
Heartfelt story that brings the skill and emotion of a young golfer to life. Soft lighting and photography clinch the early 1900s well. The costuming is elegant and worthy of the period, ensuring that the actors fit well into their parts. One of the most picturesque golf movies that you will see. Nibbles: Enjoy with cucumber sandwiches.
½ July 19, 2013
Quite an achievement, to make an interesting movie about a golf match. But with some pointed and accurate social commentary, and a nice counterpoint 'clown' figure pricking all the inflated egos, the standard Hollywood 'underdog wins' formula delivers a workable format and good acting saves the product.