The Greatest Game Ever Played - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Greatest Game Ever Played Reviews

November 29, 2015
Great sports-drama.

The (mostly) true story of the 1913 US Open Golf tournament. In particular the lives of the two main protagonists, the legendary Harry Vardon, the first superstar of golf, and the unheralded Francis Ouimet. Shows what lead them to that event, and their personal drivers and demons.

An exciting telling of an actual event. You're kept on tenterhooks until the very end. The backstories are interesting too.

Solid performances from Shia LeBeouf and Stephen Dillane in the lead roles.

On the downside, this is Disney, so some of the characters and plot are dumbed-down for kids. The villains are stereotypical, predictable and one-dimensional. Some occurrences don't make complete sense, especially from a golf perspective and have been changed for dramatic purposes.

Fortunately, Disney doesn't overdo the stereotypes and dramatizations, so they don't detract from the movie too much.
½ June 27, 2011
One of Disney's best sport biopics that goes beyond than telling a sporting tale of dreams, hopes and chances, which energize the uplifting, spirited heart of happiness to be undeniably enjoyable. (A)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ September 7, 2015
Review:
After many years of this movies release, I finally got to watch it and I quite enjoyed it. It is your typical feel good Disney movie but I did like the cast and the usual zero to hero concept. Its about a golf caddie, Francis Ouimet (Shia LaBeouf) who has a dream to become the best golfer in the world but he hasn't got the money to enter the sport. After getting the backing from some people who believe in his talent, he works his way up the ranks to take on the best players in the world. Its not the most original storyline but there are some other elements which made the movie interesting. All of the performances were great, especially from a young LaBeouf who showed up some of the older actors. I personally liked the coolness of Harry Vardon (Stephen Dillane) who was fighting against the politics in the sport during that period. I also liked Francis's caddie and Ted Ray who was the larger English golfer. Anyway, there is some intensity throughout the golf matches which actually made the game quite interesting, for once. It reminded me a lot of the Rookie, which had the same type of concept were his dad wanted him to make an honest living to put food on the table. Although the concept is basic, it's still a watchable movie which we all can relate to and the fact that it's based on real characters, made it a joy to watch. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
Shia LaBeouf, 29, is another one of those actors that started his acting career at a young age. His first film was in 1986 in a film called Monkey Business but he hit it big when this film was released. He had small roles in I, Robot, Constantine, Dumb and Dumberer, Charlie Angels: Full Throttle and Bobby but he hasn't stopped working since he played the lead in Disturbia in 2007. He then got the lead in the Transformers franchise alongside Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which was very disappointing and he also played the lead in the Wall Street remake which was no way as good as the original. Anyway, his movies have grossed over $2Billion at the box office so at 29, he's achieved a lot in his career. This movie was directed by the great Bill Paxton whose famous for his one liners in Aliens and Predator 2. This is the second movie he has directed, after the 2001 movie Frailty which he also starred in, so he hasn't got that much experience behind the camera but he still done a good job with this film. He covered the period well and his great cast choice made this movie a hit at the box office. There are some little touches, like the caterpillar on the golf ball, which were great so it's definitely worth a watch.

Budget: $25million
Worldwide Gross: $53million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their drama/history/sports movies about a young caddie who uses his golfing skills to take on some of the biggest golf players in the world. 5/10
½ August 20, 2015
For someone who loves underdog sports movie this was right up my ally.
June 28, 2015
I liked this one a lot.
A nice story for a broad audience that is well-filmed.
½ September 17, 2007
6/3/3015: A good movie. The cast did a great job and it was a nice story.
April 3, 2015
The Greatest Game Ever Played takes the true story of the US Open Championship in 1913 and creates an incredible underdog story that anyone could enjoy. Bill Paxton uses the perfect angles to intensify shots and create an atmosphere that leaves viewers on the edge of their seat. The soundtrack also compliments the film seamlessly, but the critical moments of the film are exemplified because the viewer only hears silence.

The movie creates a an accurate representation of the early 1900s by introducing class conflict and anti-Catholic prejudices represented through Francis Ouimet and other characters. Ouimet, played by Shia LaBeouf is an Irish, working-class caddy fighting for his dream against the prejudices of the British and country club members. Throughout the tournament, Ouimet's caddy is a ten year old boy, played by Josh Flitter, whose witty lines and catch-phrases steal the scene almost every time. Stephen Dillane is also exceptional as he depicts Ouimet's lifelong idol, Harry Vardon. Vardon has demons of his own from childhood that he fights against and prevents him from being an equal within the English Society. Almost every viewer will be able to find a character within the film to identify with.

There are very few weaknesses to this film, if any being the length. However, it seems almost necessary to accurately represent the magnitude of the situation and the story. Francis Ouimet's journey throughout the US Open will hold the viewers' attention until the last minute and is a must see for all audiences.
February 26, 2015
Pushes all the right buttons despite being a bit cliche.
½ January 25, 2015
In the early 1900s golf was for rich people only and the British dominated the sport. It was not until amateur Harry Ouimet in 1913 competed in the U.S. Open did all this start to change. This movie depicts this legendary and underdog tale of an amateur taking on two of the British greats. Paxton directs solid performances in LaBeouf and Dillane and the young caddy Flitter. The Greatest Game Ever Played is an entertaining take on a great moment in U.S. golf history.
½ January 23, 2015
The best use of Shia Labouef ever.
½ January 21, 2015
Okay, but the computer generated shots were obnoxious. A lot of montages, because there wasn't much story besides what was happening on the links. Some, but not enough.
December 26, 2014
I love this movie ! Stephen Dillane is fantastic as Harry Vardon.
½ December 25, 2014
It's an exciting movie for anyone, especially golf fans and patriots, and the cute factor on the child caddy gets it extra points.
December 6, 2014
While it has its share of clichés, the Greatest Game Ever Played still works, because of good direction, from Bill Paxton, and strong performances from its leads, Shia LaBeouf and Stephen Dillane.
September 15, 2014
A really enjoyable movie. I'm a huge fan of sports films and I'd not heard of this one before, or even the story it was about, but it was very good. A great story and well acted :)
April 2, 2008
I'm not really a golf fan, but the previews looked interesting enough.
½ March 12, 2010
(First and only viewing - 9/14/2010)
July 27, 2014
This movie takes you through one of the most incredible and yet widely unknown upsets in the history of sports. Wonderfully done, engaging throughout, and plenty of golf.
½ October 31, 2012
I don't watch a lot of sports movies, and I enjoyed this one. It's a shame that Shia LeBoeuf has fallen out of fame in recent years. He is great in this role.
June 14, 2014
Great golf movie and story!