71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Greatest Silence: Rape In The Congo Reviews

December 10, 2012
Must see this film because it opens up your eyes to what is going on in the Congo and what is being done to women. You can read about it, but nothing will stick like seeing the images and interviews with these women that makes the issue important. I urge everyone to watch the film and see what how you can help with this issue.
December 9, 2012
Let me begin by saying that this is such a tear jerker for the sad realities of the struggle woman go through in Congo. These woman go through more pain and trauma than I could even imagine anyone entail. It is amazing to me to see how cultural difference can change how others perceive people being raped. For instance, people in the US who are raped, others are sympathetic for them and what to try and help them through psychological treatment. Yet in DRC these women are viewed as being the ‚problem.‚? Not only do their husbands tend to leave them but they are torn away from their entire family. The documentary brings to light how in the DRC is up close and very personal with the women and their stories. I think it makes you appreciate the US judicial system in the protection of women rights, but hurts your heart for the women in other countries who are not as fortunate. I truly hope that documentaries like this will help these women grow and persevere from their hard times, while preventing other woman from encountering such evilness. I pray that the DRC will try and change this in the near future and in order to survive. Many of them take on more than an average person should in order to provide for the bare minimal for their family. It is amazing to see that they take on so much and yet ask for so little. It makes you realize how fortunate some of us have while we still thing sometimes it is not enough, while others would dream of our reality here in the create some form of consequence for those who do such things.
December 7, 2012
The women in this movie are beyond beautiful beings. They have been raped, and tortured, you can see the pain in their eyes. Many of them blame themselves and are left behind by their husbands (sometimes their whole families) who do blame them for their rapes. I was in tears when one woman told her story of being raped by seven men, her rectum had been badly burned from being held over hot coals, and the woman that had had a rifle shoved inside her vagina and the trigger had been pulled. I will warn that this movie is descriptive and you hear the view points of the victims and the rapists. You will feel anger, sadness, and joy when the victims start to recover. I definitely recommend the movie.
Jess J.
November 28, 2012
The movie was very gut wrenching. The DRC has many problems with conflict and becoming a developing nation, but it seems that countries never truly highlight the gross atrocities their civilian women suffer from. The documentary brings you in as you hear of real women speaking from their minds expressing their fears and the horrible experiences they've lived through. The fact that the filmmaker was able to bring in her experiences with rape and relate them from how they were handled in the US to how the encounters are handled in DRC was truly eye opening. In the US rapists are usually always prosecuted and punished for their crimes, in the DRC, these rapists still live among these women. NGO's and human rights groups need to watch this. This is a true unscripted testimonial that deserves attention. If the DRC really desires development, they need to work on domestic issues and ensure protection and equality of women.