18% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Green Butchers (Grønne slagtere) Reviews

Lanning :

November 6, 2007
This is a huge surprise. I have to say that I believe this might be the first Danish film I've ever seen in my life. I'll be looking for more. A beautiful mix of dark comedy and the seriously elevating power of love. In the end, this is less a comedy than it is a moving portrayal of forgiveness in the wake of tragedy. Just a fascinating mix. I can't even think of a film, off the top of my head, where such an emotional blend is achieved in such an interesting way. Flixsters, this is a must-see.NB: If you do watch this, be prepared to deploy a healthy willing suspension of disbelief.
puffchunk
puffchunk

May 22, 2007
Best foreign movie around. Even though it was in another language, I laughed the whole time. Sven Sveat!
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

December 6, 2010
The second out of three films directed by Danish Anders Thomas Jensen and my second favourite after ADAM'S APPLES. Equally dark, equally funny, equally unlikeable-yet-somehow-likeable characters (this time its two butchers butchering acquaintances to keep the business open). The plot is just as wonky as his other films, just slightly less unexpected. But thats a minor quibble, like comparing pigs to pigs when you love pigs. Just watch and enjoy, it's way past time the man directed another one.
sleepykiss
December 15, 2012
[About sausages] "I don't know if you can think of any greater humiliation than to be stuffed in your own arse."--Butcher

A Danish EATING RAOUL. Too funny.
GabrielKnight
August 1, 2011
This black comedy is hilarious at times, but I had a strange feeling some humor was lost in translation.
jpnittolo415
January 29, 2010
Now here is an example of pure perfection. This one will have you laughing your ass off until the dead bodies come in the picture lol.
March 24, 2008
I found myself laughing quite a bit, it's that nice dark humor. I bit gross in some parts, but still good.
mrhaljam
September 16, 2008
A politically incorrect Danish cannibalism comedy that doesn't really work. 'Delicatessen' without the whimsy; 'Eating Raoul' without the wicked humor; 'Sweeney Todd' without the viscera and metaphor. Strange little movie, neither fish nor flesh, as it were. Borderline Dogme95 filmmaking, too.
February 26, 2008
A strange but surprisingly nice film, especially considering the cannibalistic content. There are so many elements at work here from macabre to sweet, funny to tragic, and so on, it's hard to take it all in initially. By the end, it proves to be a worthwhile journey. The cinematography by Sebastian Blenkov is dark and exquisite.
August 24, 2007
EW.. okay that is downright gross.. funny.. but yuck.. I'm glad I'm a vegetarian..I think everyone did a great job.....
July 19, 2007
This is a great dark comedy if you can handle reading subtitles. To many foreign films are overlooked in America. The story makes this particular one fantastic.
August 7, 2013
Very funny. Anders Thomas Jensen is like the Wes Anderson of Danish cinema and it works so well. Adams Apples was better in my opinion, but this film was really well done and I enjoyed the watch.
Emma B.
November 21, 2012
Only if they knew, the marinate was better than the human meat.
September 22, 2012
This little indie from Denmark is neither skin-crawling scary nor laugh-out-loud funny but it is good fun, which is by itself a huge feat considering it is overwhelmingly shot in beautiful grey. Mads Mikkelsen effortlessly steals the show as 'Sweaty Svend' and all the rest of the cast delivers just fine. Strangely affecting.
richard g.
January 27, 2012
dark and intriguing. very entertaining and different.
May 29, 2011
I instantly lapped up this off-kilter comedy, dabbling into cannibalism and murder with a surprisingly soft side.
Vally V.
June 10, 2009
First of all i think Mads Mikkelsen is just stunning!
i had to laugh a lot...
and in the end there's even space left for some kind of moral lesson - Svend had a talent for something...
Kkangpae
August 19, 2008
The Green Butchers is a very [i]foreign[/i] film in many ways. From superficial performances to a mind numbing filmography, this film was produced poorly. That said, the Swedish flick nonetheless explores the archtypal weakness of the human ego and its hunger (quite literally) for the forbidden carnal pleasures.

B-