Green Lantern: First Flight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Green Lantern: First Flight Reviews

August 1, 2011
I had the "joy" of seeing the live-action GL movie before FF and I have to say, this is an overall improvement for sure. Which only goes to show that DC can't do live-action to save their lives without getting lucky. (Nolan on Batman)

Anyway, First Flight works like a galactic, buddy-cop movie with high SciFi concepts. Overall? Solid animation and an engaging story, with a DBZ-like finale to boot! I just wish more time was spent developing/exploring Hal's character what with this being an origin movie. In fact, it might as well be named "Sinestro's fall"
½ May 15, 2011
What's better than cartoons on a lazy weekend morning? Been seeing previews for "Green Lantern" which comes out in June, and I'm on the fence about it. I don't know much about the character, and the movie looks pretty cheesy, so I figured I'd give this a watch and see how I liked it. It's not bad, very different from other super hero characters/movies, but has the same values(always good against evil). This is basically an origin story(as I'm sure the movie will be too), with some good twists and turns. It's on the cheesy side, but overall better than I thought beforehand. I'll warn parents(hey, I'm gonna be one soon) this has some cussing in it, not really for little kids(think it's rated PG-13). The animation is good, and the story is decent enough. Based off this cartoon, I'm more inclined to want to see the movie when it comes out, figure if my expectations remain pretty low I can't be too disappointed.
MANUGINO
March 8, 2010
Good movie. I can now understand alot better where Green Lantern came from and I'm ready to see the new film coming up with Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern.

Christopher Meloni (TV's Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) leads the cast as the voice of Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern. The cast includes Emmy Award nominee Victor Garber (Milk, Titanic), Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica) and Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs, Species). Produced by animation legend Bruce Timm, Green Lantern: First Flight is directed by Lauren Montgomery (Wonder Woman, Superman Doomsday) and scripted by four-time Emmy Award-winning writer Alan Burnett (The Batman). Green Lantern: First Flight finds test pilot Hal Jordan (Christopher Meloni) recruited to join the Green Lantern Corps after the death of his predecessor Abin Sur and placed under the supervision of respected senior officer Sinestro (Victor Garber). The newly recruited officer of sector 2814 soon discovers his mentor is actually the central figure in a secret conspiracy that threatens the philosophies, traditions and hierarchy of the entire Green Lantern Corps. Hal must quickly hone his newfound powers and combat the treasonous Lanterns within the ranks to maintain order in the universe. According to director Montgomery, the film will not focus on Jordan's origin story as that was previously covered in the Justice League: The New Frontier film: "...we really didn't want to spend a whole lot of time telling that same story over again. So in Green Lantern: First Flight, the origin story is over and done before the opening credits.
July 29, 2009
Green Lantern: First Flight was astoundingly great for a straight-to-video release. The animation was excellent even if the recognizable (but great all the same) voices (I kept waiting for the Law and Order chimes whenever Christopher Meloni was done speaking) seemed to take a little bit away. The story was pretty straightforward but the grittiness and not too kid-friendliness of it made up for this. It wasn't too long and it wasn't too short. I had an absolute blast watching it and actually caught myself yelling at the TV at a few points. Definitely worthwhile and highly recommended. A second watch after reading some of the current Green Lantern comics left me wanting a little more, but as an introductory origin story, great job.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 16, 2010
dc is trying to keep up with marvel in putting out solid animated films, and this is an example proving that dc is doing it better. marvel is winning the overall live action battle, but as far as an animated strait to dvd movie this is much better than expected. solid story telling and great action, the film would have been better with a bit of character development, but overall its very good.
August 31, 2009
Cool as movie for DC fanatics... Very enjoyable and the anticipation for the real movie has heightened very much. Green Lantern would kill superman any day and you would agree if you see this flick so check it out.
deano
½ July 29, 2009
Wonderful origin story in animation film of the DC Comics superhero, Green Lantern about Hal Jordan, a test pilot who came across a dying alien with a green ring in his finger which he entrusted to Jordan. From then on, he's the Green Lantern, but not the only one: he's met on Earth by Sinestro and a few other Green Lantern folk, who take him along into space to meet the council that guides the Lanterns in their adventures.
The animation is great, mixing traditional hand-drawn animation with computer-generated imagery (CGI). Good action, and great voice-over work by the actors.
½ July 5, 2009
Hal Jordan: Come on! Get green!

A fast paced animated origin tale of the Green Lantern. What it lacks in character development, it makes up for in its space opera style action/adventure tone.

Test pilot Hal Jordan, voiced by Christopher Meloni, is suddenly recruited by a dying member of the Green Lantern Corps., and becomes a new member himself. He is soon thereafter taken to an alien ship, the Green Lantern Corps.' HQ, where he is given the details of what he is now a part of. As a member of the Green Lantern Corps. Hal Jordan now possesses a ring that has as much power as he has imagination, as long as he charges it in a big green battery supply, full of power.

The plot then turns into a sort of intergalactic Training Day, as Hal is taken by Sinestro, voiced by Victor Garber, to learn the ropes of being Green Lantern, only to find that Sinestro may have some evil plans up his sleeve. Needless to say, some bad guys are revealed, a force that can counter the Green Lanterns becomes a big priority to stop, and Hal must prove himself worthy of holding onto his ring.

The beginning of this movie literally skips past having the lead hero awkwardly realize his powers. He gets the ring and that's pretty much that. If you can get past this lack of hero development, you can really enjoy the more exciting pace that the movie puts you through. While not as violent as Wonder Woman, this DC animation entry has plenty of action that keeps things movie, as well as a lot of fun with the hero.

I am always kind of skeptical about the portrayal of the Green Lantern. A character who has a ring that can do anything he wants can be tricky, but somehow this movie managed to keep me very entertained with Jordan's imagination of how to dispatch his foes. It has this humorous awesome quality that made me happy. I can only hope the live action film can make this work as well.

I was also a fan of how the animation blended its drawn aspects with the computer graphics. It wasn't a sticking out or blending in sort of way, it just felt very fitting and kept the film settled in a fine visual sense.

Decent voice work as well, despite some more pronounced actors sticking out.

Overall a well made feature, with plenty of nods, big and small, to the Green Lantern world for fans of the character.

Ganthet: You can't condemn an entire species.
Ranakar: You said it yourself, Ganthet. It's a wonder they've lasted this long. Maybe you'd like me to list their atrocities. Maybe our human can help us. Maybe he has a few of his own.
Hal Jordan: Listen, buddy, I didn't ask for this ring. You want it back, because I've had just enough of this crap.
Ranakar: Well, it appears we can add impertinence to their many qualities.
Beefy
August 2, 2009
Thankfully explaining away Hal Jordan's receiving of the ring within the first ten minutes or so, the film shoots off into the stars for a colorful, if not very original, story of one man's drive to prove himself amongst a very alien backdrop. Alas, the villain is predictable, as is the lack of concern about him until the very end. Still good fun for fans.
July 25, 2009
Another triumphant output from DC in their animated range. Green Lantern's origins are displayed here in a rather quick fashion, but this allows for the action to come much sooner. Essentially, this results in a film perfect for both newcomers and dedicated fans. The vocal talent is fantastic, with Michael Madsen and Victor Garber really bringing their characters to life. It's also a great teaser for the live-action film due out in 2 years. Green Lantern mixes the best of superhero/comic stories with the best in good old sci-fi, which is why he's one of the best heroes. This is an excellent tribute to a wonderful character, whom will hopefully start receiving more coverage.
June 23, 2013
Green Lantern: First Flight explores the origins of one of DC's hallmark characters in an animated adventure. The story follows test pilot Hal Jordan as he's recruited into the exclusive Green Lantern Corps., and training by its leader, Sinestro, to be a guardian of the galaxy against the evil forces that threaten it. Featuring an impressive cast that includes Victor Garber, Tricia Helfer, Michael Madsen, and Kurtwood Smith, the voice work is quite good. However, the artwork and designs aren't that impressive or vibrant. Still, it's action packed and the storytelling is quite strong. A little underwhelming but thoroughly entertaining, Green Lantern: First Flight is another solid feature from DC Universe.
½ August 5, 2009
These direct-to-TV/DVD comic book movies from Marvel and D/C have become popular lately, so I thought I'd try some out. This is a retelling of Green Lantern's origin story.

Hal is a great hero, Sinestro is a fantastic villain (spoiler warning!), and the animation is acceptable. The plot has holes, the twists are random, I was hoping for three stars but it didn't live up. Definitely made for kids .... that being said, I have to question the two-to-three scenes of graphic violence, since it seems like this should be their target audience based on how the movie plays out.

I feel like I'm being generous at 2 and a half, but it was at least entertaining. I doubt I'll seek out other D/C releases.
August 11, 2011
It suffers at the start due to the studio deciding that Jordan has to BE a Lantern within 5 minutes so it's a bit "Oh its a purple alien who's dying is that ring for me wow what's it do oh cool I have powers". If you can get past that the rest of the film shapes up nicely and Sinestro turns evil etc etc. It's everything you'd expect it to be, nothing more, nothing less.
John2223
July 28, 2009
Good but not a great start Though predictable, It has good action BUT very little depth was shown to any of the main characters.
August 2, 2009
DC is the animated superhero king they don't seem to be able to do much wrong. This is another great adaptation of one of their flagship properties.
A warning though there are 2 rather grotesque scenes which may make this unsuitable for children under 14.
January 25, 2014
The script and some content maybe a little flawed, but the usual animation, action sequences and voice acting is what the DC Animated Universe only relies on their films that has powers to keep the film's level at a positive 4-star rate. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
July 8, 2014
This is a four star for me I really don't know why it isn't a 5 star but as far as story telling goes I think they did a good job telling the story of Hal Jordan becoming Green lantern. Unlike the cinematic release of Green Lantern I really like the way they simultaneously told Sinestro story that was my biggest problem in cinematic release we never really understood why Sinestro turned on his fellow lanterns. In this movie they followed the mythos of comic book which was relieving. Over a great watch I recommend this one and Ryan Renolds showed watch this before doing another lantern movie
½ March 10, 2013
Presenting solid characters and a story, this is the least that 2011's "Green Lantern" needed to be. How does animation do it right, yet live-action can't? Come on D.C.!
½ December 26, 2012
While its a bit short on actual plot, its voice acting and animation more than make up for its shortcomings. Definitely a good alternative to the horrible Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern
November 29, 2012
Animated origin of how Hal Jordan became a member of the Green Lantern Corps, and how Sinestro turned evil!! Needed more Kilowog!! Still, a lot better than the live action film!!