Gremlins Reviews

December 12, 2007
I think I appreciate this movie as an adult more than I ever did as a child. (Is it even truly a kids film?! Some of it is pretty scary for a child).
Though the special effects don't quite hold up and the gremlins are a bit fake looking, it's actually not bad for an 80's movie. And for a so called kids movie, it is a masterpiece.
And it's festive, so a perfect December watch (well, my twisted idea of a xmas movie!).
Good story to it and quite dark and compelling. Good cast too, Phoebe Cates and Zach Galligan are great.
October 7, 2007
Probably one of the first horror comedies supposedly for all the family. Released back in 84 at a time when there was some incredibly stiff competition at the box office, namely 'Ghostbusters'. The film opens at Christmas in a typical small all American apple pie town blanketed under a layer of snow. My first thoughts when seeing this again was how similar this town square looked to the town square of Hill Valley in 'Back to the Future'.

Straight away you can't help but love the atmosphere this film is setting, the opening credits play out to Darlene Love's popular 1963 song 'Christmas', everything looks so cozy and charming as kids play in the snow. All this is of course after the more Spielbergian opening of how little 'Gizmo' gets discovered in Chinatown, a very 'Indiana-esque' look and feel about that whole sequence, you can tell its an Amblin production. Isn't that little Chinese boy wearing the same baseball hat as 'Short Round' from 'Temple of Doom'? or the same look perhaps?. Don't miss the Indiana Jones billboard nod at the start either.

I think the one thing that always stuck with me (and everyone else I'm sure) was the fact this film was actually pretty scary and dark. Considering it was a young persons film and advertised as just that it was edgy, I remember always hiding behind a cushion when watching this. The whole concept of little green monsters hiding under your bed or in the clothes cupboard is pretty terrifying for kids, its the stuff of bedtime legend, so this film really hit home in so many aspects at the time.

What still impresses today are the special effects, the cute lill Giz puppet is clearly just a puppet or advanced Muppet but geez it still looks good!. His huge round eyes, little snout, big floppy ears and that adorable little chirping voice of his. I don't think anyone can deny that little tune Giz whistles or hums is almost as iconic as the electronic sound from 'Close Encounters'...and downright lovable. But its the facial expressions we see on close ups that really impress me to this day, the way he rolls his eyes in loathing or looks frightened, the little guy still genuinely looks quite real.

'bright light! bright light!'

The same can also be said for the evil Gremlins and their reptilian appearance. These guys really do look scary and nasty, you know you wouldn't wanna get bitten by one of these guys. I also love how dated this film is, how un-PC it is. The Gremlins are clearly show smoking virtually all the time! drinking booze, getting drunk, smashing everything and even using lethal weapons including guns!. Can you imagine a kids film in this day and age showing stuff like that lol! this film could almost be seen as advocating yobbish behaviour and saying drinking, smoking and trashing property is fun. It really is quite the eye opener when you see some of the things these Gremlins get up to, you half expect to see them grunting away whilst mating on a table.

Never really understood how Mogwai seem to reproduce as they do, never explained. The idea is a bit silly really, just like the three rules. Water makes them reproduce, but why? how? from their back?? how do they drink or do they? surely this would be hard to avoid, plus wouldn't he be smelly and disgusting with all that fur?. They can't eat after midnight...that doesn't make much sense because that means he can never really eat doesn't it?. Oh and is Gizmo the only Mogwai left? you'd think there would be lots.

The film does has many levels or stages I think. The whole tranquil little snow capped town with all the townsfolk knowing each other does homage 'Its a Wonderful Life', they don't hide this though as its shown in the film. The grumpy and somewhat sadistic 'Mrs Deagle' is clearly a little homage to 'The Wizard of Oz' and the wicked witch character, she even says the same lines at one point. At some points the film is very humorous with silly Gremlin slapstick and tomfoolery, visual gags and overall light-hearted laughs that kids would enjoy. On the same note there are also many more points in the film where it does really get close to the bone. You get a quick hint of this early on when the professor gets killed or half eaten which is a tad unnerving.

The tone shifts from one end of the scale to the other quite dramatically, it can be a bit mind boggling. A good small example would be when the Gremlins are all in the bar drinking and smoking (its all good kids). There is much craziness going on which can be seen as light comedy but all of a sudden 'Stripe' whips out a gun and shoots a fellow Gremlin in the face!. This causes much laughter all round from the little critters but it does kinda get you thinking doesn't it, hey kids its fun to shoot people in the face haha no consequences accept for hilarity and drinks all round!.

The same could be said for the Gremlins attack on Peltzer's mum in the kitchen. I think this is the first really graphic attack sequence in the film, some quite nasty justice for the little terrors. The infamous microwave sequence, head in a blender, stabbed to death with a big knife and all rounded off with a decapitation into the fireplace!. The whole finale against Stripe is very dark too as this Gremlin is trying to kill 'Peltzer' is some pretty gruesome ways, no holding back here kids, chainsaw to the face!!.

I'm not even mentioned the depressing tale spoken by Cates character of why she hates Xmas, pretty bleak stuff right there. Then of course there's the excellent melting sequence of Stripe as he meets his demise right at the end. Much like the melting moments in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' that bit always had me half looking back in the day, twas cool but scary, I guess that's why us kids liked it back then. The sound effects made that scene so much more disgusting with all the bubbling and squelching, loved the dogs reaction too, that dog really jumped on many occasion in the film hehe poor fella.

Its corny and cliche but they don't make kids films like this anymore. I guess that could be a good thing because kids these days are exposed to so much stuff, but I suppose you could argue they wouldn't find it scary because they are more immune. Back in the day times were simpler and we didn't have all the tech stuff you have now so films like this really blew your mind and I think we enjoyed them more because of it. I think films like this felt more special because they looked real and gave you something you wouldn't normally see, no internet or CGI back then kids.

I always did like Hoyt Axton's (loved his performance and character) last few words in this film...'Well, that's the story. So if your air conditioner goes on the fritz or your washing machine blows up or your video recorder conks out; before you call the repairman turn on all the lights, check all the closets and cupboards, look under all the beds, 'cause you never can tell there just might be a gremlin in your house'. The thing is back then when you were a kid, you DID check in your clothes cupboard and under your bed before going to bed.
½ July 31, 2013
My foray into 80s Horror/Comedy education begins here. Gizmo is super cute, the explicit scenes of gremlin-cide are campy and hilarious, and I finally know the rules of Mogwai maintenance, as referenced in much pop culture nostalgia.

I didn't expect so much violence, nor did I expect the main characters to be adults. The movie could have felt more real this way, but it didn't, and I think that may be due to the flat villains. Mean Mrs. Deagle is so mean that it doesn't MEAN anything. She has no raison d'etre, and nor do the gremlins. They just cause trouble.
½ September 25, 2010
For such a serious tone to the film, with such an off-putting idea, "Gremlins" does everything right both in uniqueness and in style. I loved every minute of this film. It is a classic tale of a boy getting a present for Christmas, but this one is an unknown creature (cute and adorable) which becomes much more. Starting from a little pet, it becomes a town infestation. The quirky tone to the film, made by the odd musical score, is something I have never really heard before. A dark scene passes by and you are left wondering why they had uplifting and fun music playing over it. The direction is fantastic, the effects are creepy for it's time, and the film is just very well-made overall. "Gremlins" is fantastic entertainment!
February 1, 2012
A criative cult pop movie. Gremlins it's the schizophrenic personification of America fears with a touch of Steven Spielberg.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 13, 2010
Gremlins is another film by master director Joe Dante. The film blends Comedy and Horror very well and is a very creative film. What I love most about this film is it's originality, it had me laughing screaming, laughing and really I just had a great time watching this film. If you're looking for a great Horror Comedy, then Gremlins is it. It's a very original film and if you like silly films like Killer Klowns From Outer Space, you will love Gremlins. Gremlins is one great film, and is one of Joe Dante's best along with his more serious horror film, The Howling. So, if you like great, Horror comedy then pick Gremlins up, you will a great time as these furry creature don't play nice. With a lot of Tongue in cheek moments, and an interesting story, Gremlins is a memorable horror comedy that is entertaining from start to finish. Produced by Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante and Steven Spielberg create something fun. If you enjoy silly tongue in cheek horror, Gremlins is the film to watch. Joe Dante is a great director and with Gremlins, he solidifies that statement. This is a fun film from start to finish and is one of the best horror comedies of the 1980's. If you love horror comedies, and haven't seen this classic, then head on to your video store and rent it. This a great film from start to finish, a film that remains one of the best horror comedies ever released. Get ready for a memorable crazy ride because Gremlins delivers.
Directors Cat
½ October 29, 2011
Gremlins is a fun classic that will make you laugh out loud. Gremlins made a new image for the monster movie, although out-dated effects by modern standards, its still a really fun watch and will always be worth your time.
March 25, 2007
A boat load of fun and way more intense then I imagine. One two films responsible for the creation of the PG-13 rating (the other is Temple of Doom).
garyX
December 23, 2006
A young boy receives a cuddly little creature for Christmas but it inadvertently spawns a horde of vicious creatures hell bent on chaos. Gremlins is what would happen if the muppets went over to the dark side. A comic horror from Joe Dante, it was a bit of a cult in the 80s and went on to spawn a host of inferior imitators. The idea is pretty simple, that the "gremlins" of myth were in fact real, but it has plenty of scope for slapstick carnage and it comes up with some memorable scenes when they are initially loosed upon the sleepy little town. The funniest scenes are when mom gets medieval on their asses with a variety of kitchen appliances (before getting attacked by a Christmas tree in an homage to John Waters) and the turbo charged stairlift. Its biggest flaw is that it's pretty much a one idea story, but it has some inventive animatronics and enough chuckles to make it worth the time. A bit too silly for horror and not funny enough to be considered comedy, but it does have its moments.
September 6, 2010
I love Gremlins, it's one of my favourite movies ever, and an 80s classic! It's a cute, funny, and exciting monster movie, unlike anything you've ever seen. I highly recommend it.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 9, 2007
a horror film for kids? although a true horror classic this film is more fun than it is frightening, but its one of the best films of my childhood and still great to watch as a grown up.
thmtsang
July 6, 2007
Gremlins multiply and wreck havoc on a small town. Scared me as a kid. Poor Gizmo.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
June 5, 2009
"So if your air conditioner goes on the fritz or your washing machine blows up or your video recorder conks out; before you call the repairman turn on all the lights, check all the closets and cupboards, look under all the beds, 'cause you never can tell there just might be a gremlin in your house."

A boy inadvertantly breaks 3 important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town.

REVIEW
From the opening sequence to the end credits, Gremlins has a certain charm to it. Perhaps it was the directing style of Joe Dante, or the screenplay by Chris Columbus. Whichever, it is a fun, entertaining and imaginative film. Gizmo (voiced by a young Howie Mandel) is a true creature effect, as are the Gremlins. This is one film that would have lost its charm if it were made today. The fact that we barely ever see Gizmo's feet when he runs, or the Gremlins lower bodies is wonderful. It is part of the charm that this film carries. I wouldn't want to see Gizmo looking like Yoda from the newest Star Wars films, cheap and unrealistic. It's great to have little creature creations, with real, fake fur (I know that sounds dumb but think about it). The cast is not extra ordinary, which makes it also feel so fun to watch, but nevertheless, the cast is still great, though the character of Billy wasn't the best they could have chosen, but like I said, that's part of the fun of it all. Gremlins has to be one of the most chaotic, entertaining, mesmerizing, adventurous, revolutionary, charming, fun-filled films of the past twenty years.
TheGame90
October 26, 2010
I think that if I saw this movie when I was a kid...I would have loved it. And seen it many times. But now...It felt kind of stupid. Even though he was kind of cute...
michael e.
October 21, 2010
though my parents and sisters hate this movie i think its pretty good. Though it isn't a masterpiece like the second one it still is pretty good
YodaMasterJedi
September 8, 2010
2 stars
June 24, 2010
B+
May 30, 2006
Grandfather: I'm sorry. Mogwai not for sale.
Randall Peltzer: Why not? You said everything in your grandfather's store was for sale.
Grandfather: With Mogwai, comes much responsibility. I cannot sell him at any price.

A wonderfully entertaining film that belongs on anyone's alternative Christmas film list, right up there with Die Hard and Bad Santa. This is a mix of comedy (mostly dark), satire, and horror, into a Christmas creature feature.

The film takes place in an small American town, easily resembling one from any regular Christmas time feature, a father has just brought his twenty something son Billy, played by Zach Galligan, a Christmas gift, a Mogwai. The Mogwai, named Gizmo, is a small, furry, cute creature that seems to be quite clever and will certainly be lovable. However, it also has a list of rules needed to be followed. Don't put it in bright lights, don't get water on it, and never feed it after midnight. Of course, in order to have a movie, rules will have to be broken...

Lynn Peltzer: Get Out Of My Kitchen!

Once the rules are broken, things turn for the worse, as Gizmo has copies of himself emerge from him (copies that are much more mischievous) and eventually grow into vicious little monsters causing havoc all over town.

The way this movie morphs from a comedy into a horror flick is well established, while never getting lost in its tone. Director Joe Dante does well at establishing everything and letting the mess unfold in a well shot manner. The comedy and gags certainly become darker as the film moves on, but the way it is featured throughout is solid and certainly a bit different from the average Christmas film at the start.

The creature effects are also quite good. The use of real puppets and their various actions are all effective enough to provide both the connection to the lovable Gizmo character and enough in the way of tension and mild scares with the Gremlins.

Being one of the films (along with Temple of Doom) to inspire the PG-13 rating, because of how dark they are, I would have loved to see family audiences in the theater reacting to this PG rated film, expecting to see a more family friendly holiday film. Its certainly not setting out to be offensive, just a different take that is still entertaining, however, when Billy's mom has to take out three different gremlins using an assortment of weapons (which follows one of my favorite music queues ever ((excuse the hyperbole))), I can understand a possible shock from the parents with their children.

The creative input from Spielberg and the memorable score by Jerry Goldsmith certainly bump this film up a few notches as well.

A lot of fun to be had.

Billy Peltzer: The creatures are making it look like an accident!
½ May 28, 2006
Deliciously dark, at times psychotic humour carry this little creature feature through its whole running time. The Mogwai are well cute and all the puppetry is executed in a realistic but slightly unnerving way. It somehow manages to bring forth the warm, cozy feeling of Christmas, despite the malicious little critters and their wicked ways. Surprisingly perfect for families as the scary parts are scary, the violence is disturbing, but not so much that anyone will be psychologically damaged . It's a kind of kitsch nasty.