63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Gremlins Reviews

December 23, 2012
"THERE'S A REAL GREMLIN IN MY CAB!!!"
June 7, 2014
A fun but still creepy movie with comedy and horror at the appropriate moments. While the characters aren't very well fleshed out, the writing is still fantastic!
June 5, 2014
Creepier than it is funny. And that's impressive for the subject matter.
November 1, 2012
With a wildly original plot, some outrageously silly moments, great film references, warm approach and an emotionally conveyed finale, Gremlins manages to transcend its problems, mainly the conventional approach to its horror elements and the film's failure to delve deeper into its fascinating creatures with better camera work and more screen time, with absence of 80s cheese, some creative horror weapons, perfect ending, authentic idea and interesting design and properties of the creatures thus ensuring an amusing and highly memorable watch and a nice mix of genres.
May 24, 2014
I rated this movie three stars mostly for its nostalgic value. I watched it again today for the first time since I was maybe 12 and I remembered it being much better than this. It was fun to revisit it, but some things are just better left in the past.
May 16, 2014
This film now 30 years old and having heard such good things about it and finally seeing it I can see why. For a horror its fairly mild (though I was lead to believe it was a family film at first) its also quite amusing as cute looking gremlins evolve into terrorizing rebellious imp like creatures.
August 6, 2012
A great horror comedy for kids!
Logan M.
May 3, 2014
sometimes adorable, sometimes mortifying. you decide when and where.
April 18, 2014
Joe Dante's finest effort besides "The 'Burbs", his segment in the infamous & ill-fated "Twilight Zone" film, "The Howling" and "Innerspace". It's aged less gracefully than one might expect, but the complete lack of CGI and full commitment to practical effects and puppetry is where it's charm remains. And it's one hell of a dark Christmas story that these days they would have dialed WAY back (the kitchen confrontation/battle is a fine example, or Phobe Cates' grizzly Xmas Eve monologue about her father).
July 30, 2007
Classic im sure. Im not the right age however to fully enjoy it but i did like the production and their approach to it. I liked the puppets and the sculptures. They were all done very well, or more or less well. Gizmo is cute, obviously. Who doesnt want a Mogwai?
March 19, 2014
While the effects look weird nowadays, The Gremlins is a funny and ironic horror comedy, that has become into a classic, indispensable to watch on a holiday family movie time.
March 11, 2014
"KEEP HIM OUT OF THE LIGHT, DON'T GET HIM WET AND NEVER FEED HIM AFTER MIDNIGHT"

- 'Gremlins' is a 1984 horror comedy by director Joe Dante (Piranha 1978), written by Chris Columbus (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) and with executive producer Steven Spielberg (Jurassic Park). Pure nostalgia, as a small town gets overrun by little reptilian monsters during Christmas time. A perfect match between scares and laughs that are suitable for all ages. Everyone will love the little mogwai Gizmo. The film was a financial success and got a good sequel. With Zach Galligan (Hatchet 3), Phoebe Cates (Gremlins 2), Corey Feldman (The Goonies), Dick Miller (Piranha) and Jackie Jospeh (The Little Shop of Horrors), but the real stars are of course the Gremlins.

Randell Peltzer discovers a little furry animal called 'Mogwai' in a antique store in Chinatown owned by Mr. Wing and buys it as a Christmas present for his son Billy (Galligan). There are three important rules to come with it: 1) never expose the Mogwai to bright light (sunlight will kill it), 2) never get it wet and 3) never feed it after midnight.

Billy is very happy with the nice Mogwai, the he names Gizmo. He is proud to show it to his friend Pete (Feldman). But it doesn't take long before things go wrong. When a glass of water accidently tips over and get Gizmo wet, he produces 5 new Mogwai's. These are less nice than Gizmo. When Billy is out on a date with Kate Beringer (Cates), the creatures torture Gizmo and get to feed after midnight. The 5 new Mogwai cocoon and shortly after that transform into gremlins, who will terrorize the whole town beginning with the Peltzer's neighbors (Miller and Joseph). Can the gremlins be stopped?
Matt H.
March 10, 2014
Gremlins' formula is familiar, but the movie is a classic comedy about those little monsters nonetheless.
March 3, 2014
Classic and fun for a mindless movie night!
February 23, 2014
There are not many Christmas-Horror movies, but even if there were, this one would stand out. This is not scary in the least; it is just plain and simple fun. The settings like the eccentric Chinatown shop and the various parts of this quaint small Mid-West town are visually rich and show consideration for detail. Each of the character's houses is a noticeably physical extension of their personality. Even better are the gremlin puppets. These puppets can be irresistibly cute, or humorously repugnant and gross. The puppet-work is wonderful, and it brings these silly magical creatures to life. The seemingly simple or hammy characters poke fun at numerous classics of the Christmas genre. At no point does it veer from its lighthearted mood or attempt to become a warm holiday movie. The success lies in the consistently playful tone and enjoyably simple characters.
December 5, 2011
Six years after Joe Dante helmed "Piranha," he went on to direct the 1984 holiday classic, "Gremlins." Teenager Billy Peltzer (Zach Galligan) receives an unusual Christmas present from his father: a furry little creature called a Mogwai that he "bought" from an antique store in Chinatown. The Mogwai, which they name Gizmo, comes with three very important rules: never expose it to bright light; sunlight especially, because it kills it. Also, never let it get wet; water causes it to multiply. But most importantly, never ever feed them after midnight; they go into cocoons and mutate into nasty gremlins, where they cause nothing but havoc and destruction.

Naturally, it doesn't take long for all three of these rules to get broken. A little water is spilt, and then the unfriendly Mogwais unplug the clock in Billy's bedroom, tricking him into feeding them after midnight. What I want to know is why Gizmo is the only good Mogwai in the entire film; all of the others literally came out of him, so shouldn't they have some sort of respect for him? Instead, they're all evil; and somehow they know what water and midnight snacks will do to them.

Anyway, Billy and his girlfriend Kate (Phoebe Cates) have to stop gremlins before things get too out of hand; I should mention they're only specifically called gremlins because the America-first neighbor Murray Futterman (Dick Miller) mentions the mythological gremlins that damaged and dismantled machinery; it applies here, I suppose.

The film has some good characters. Zach Galligan is quite good as Billy; he's a nice kid, and he does what he can to make everything right. Phoebe Cates was known for her risqué roles in movies like "Paradise," Private School" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," but she does a fine transition to this movie. I like the scene where the gremlins are in the bar where she works; they're causing a ruckus, but she's still behind the counter serving them drinks; good for her. Corey Feldman gets a few scenes as little Pete; he starred in "Friday the 13th Part IV" that same year. And I actually really like Frances Lee McCain as Billy's mother Lynn; she's one of those moms you simply don't mess with. There's a particularly memorable scene where the gremlins are loose in her house, and she kills one by putting it in a microwave until it explodes.

The gremlin effects are really impressive; that's Howie Mandel doing the voice of Gizmo, and the great Frank Welker doing the voice of the main villain gremlin Stripe. The gremlins were made using animatronics and puppets, and it's such a joy to see effects like this. And there is actually plenty of character in these little creatures. They're not exactly evil (except with the possible exception of Stripe), they just want to have fun.

"Gremlins" is a film you can watch on Halloween as well as Christmastime, much like "A Nightmare before Christmas." There's this real Scrooge-like woman named Mrs. Deagle (Polly Holliday), and she's just plain unpleasant. Most of what she does is threaten Billy's dog and bark at people who are just trying to be decent; she even tries to throw a bucket of water on Christmas carolers, only to discover it's actually the gremlins. Do you think people like this just get up every morning and say to themselves, "I'm going to be horrible to everyone today"? I suppose it's satisfying to see the gremlins send her rocketing up the stair railing and crashing through the upstairs window, but I just don't see her as one of those "love to hate" characters like Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life." I just plain hate her.

Most of the problems I have with this movie are pretty small. It's a very entertaining watch, and well-made, as most of Steven Spielberg's productions are. But the storytelling is a little clumsy sometimes; there are a few characters, like Billy's co-worker Gerald (Judge Reinhold) as well as Pete, that seem like they're going to have fairly prominent roles in the story, but are then just shoved aside. There's also a really bizarre scene where Kate tells a story about how one Christmas Eve, her father fell down the chimney dressed as Santa Claus and died...it's never mentioned again, so I don't know what that was all about.

The level of violence actually caused some controversy. The film was rated PG, so it attracted a lot of families, which included a lot of parents expecting something more family friendly, only to be met with something considerably darker. The same year saw the release of Spielberg's "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," which received similar backlash. Spielberg himself suggested a change to the MPAA ratings system, which came in the form of the PG-13 rating just two months after "Gremlins" came out.

I have my own views about what kids should and shouldn't be allowed to watch, but I'm not getting into that. This movie is a little more mature than a typical Christmas film, but there's still a sense of fun and innocence there. So feel free to watch it any time of the year you wish.
ForrestBlump
January 13, 2009
Good to see it again on DVD , pretty funny !
January 18, 2014
Slow beginning (13) TO OWN
January 16, 2014
I watched it as a comedy, but only later realized that it is likely that it was meant as a horror movie.