17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Gremlins 2: The New Batch Reviews

Phil H

October 7, 2007
Six years after the original smash hit and Dante comes along with this newish sequel. The intro to the film is an animated Looney Tunes segment with Bugs and Daffy which is meant to hint at the wackiness you were about to see, not good.

The plot this time is virtually the same deal as before but this time its set in New York and within a huge futuristic skyscraper, well for the time anyway. Of course the other reason for this sequel was mainly to do everything over again with much better effects and creature puppetry. Now I'm all for this no doubt but at least they could of gone for a fresher storyline.

There are many problems with this sequel which is a shame as the effects are indeed much better (although the original films were damn good). It starts off OK with good continuity seeing old Mr Wing again in his little shop with 'Gizmo'. Unsure if the first film setting of this Chinatown location was in New York though, I always kinda thought it was San Francisco for some reason. Anyway it makes sense that the old man dies and Gizmo is left alone in the world, not too sure about the fact they bulldoze the little store before clearing it though.

Eventually the film sticks to its new location for the action within this skyscraper. I still find it funny that this huge building would have its own animal testing floor filled with various animals of all shapes and sizes. Also the fact it appears to have lots of shops and eating establishments along with filming studios and its own TV cable network! all this with office areas higher up where lots of desk jockeys work feverishly to look good for the big boss 'Clamp'. Obviously its all just setups for the Gremlin action to come but it really seems quite odd that this building has everything in it as if it were a mall when its suppose to be a place of business and work.

I guess the main issues begin when the Gremlin mayhem kicks off. It all starts out fine and relatively sensible if lighter in tone, but it just gets ludicrous. The first thing that hits you straight in the face is the horrendous slapstick schlock that Dante gets the creatures to do, the first film had it but it was set within a dark tone, this film is virtually a cartoon (as laid out for you by Bugs n Daffy at the start). I really enjoyed the different ideas they used with the Gremlins...a bat hybrid, a spider, an electric poltergeist-like Gremlin, an intelligent Gremlin, a Gremlin made up of vegetables and naturally the obligatory female Gremlin. But the whole thing came off like 'The Muppet Show', albeit Muppets with a more sadistic crazy edge.

The female Gremlin was clearly a play or rip off from 'Miss Piggy' if you ask me, right down to the awful little musical number where she/it appears in a very 'Muppet-esque/Piggy' way from beneath a huge self portrait picture.

The other thing that irked me was the hideous self parodies/meta-references of the franchise and others. A cringeworthy self indulgent sequence where a movie critic is giving the original film a bad review and is then attacked by Gremlins, the bat hybrid Gremlin flies out of the building crashing through a wall leaving the famous Batman logo as a hole, some Gremlins where anti-Gizmo t-shirts and there is a Gremlin logo on the cable network when it goes down. And finally there's the sequence midway where the film actually stops as if Gremlins had invaded the cinema where you the audience were watching. We then get an embarrassing cameo with Hulk Hogan breaking the fourth wall, did it really have to go that far Dante?.

The inclusion of Dick Miller's character and his wife felt very forced too, not only that but I'm pretty sure they were killed off in the first film. There was no reason for them to be in this film other than some visual recognition from the first, a simple link. The whole notion that those two characters were suppose to stay with 'Peltzer' and 'Kate' in their small apartment is so stupid, and why would they be visiting them anyway??. These people weren't that close in the first film, just neighbourhood folk.

Plus I noticed Dante literately cast everyone he has ever worked with in this film, even Rick Ducommun and Henry Gibson get some screen time here. Amazing cast of character actors and cameos in this film.

Gotta ask but why is it everytime Gizmo get wets and produces new Mogwai they always turn out evil?. How come none ever turn out nice like Giz? you'd think they would genetically be like Gizmo. I didn't really like the new goofy Gremlins, it just felt like The Three Stooges and was just dumb, the various cartoon sound effects didn't help either. I know the film was suppose to be lighter but Jesus those new Gremlins were annoying, the two evil none insane Gremlins were nice and errr...evil, but again they didn't really look too different, the effects guys didn't wanna move away from the mohawk look did they sheesh!.

All the Gremlins look fantastic in this new film I must say, the detail and animatronic puppet work is astoundingly good from the realistic skin colour and patterns to every small snarling facial movement. There are also some nice effects using stop motion and bluescreen which are obvious but do still hold up quite well, it all shows how well these effects can work. It might be most costly sure but I think everyone would agree its worth it in the end, the final result looks awesome especially with the vast numbers of Gremlins on display this time. Beats the f**ck outta CGI I can tell you.

I want to like this film but its hard. The idea is reasonable giving us a wider range of Gremlins with new designs and more havoc, which is what you wanted really, but they dumbed it down too much. A lighter version is not a problem but the self referential jokes and small nonsensical plotless sequences felt more like a collection of sketches from a TV show (the 'Phantom of the Opera' Gremlin sequence). It makes the whole film feel like a spoof when its not really meant to be, not to that degree anyway, and the fact that the female Gremlin survives simply makes a mockery of films finale, who cares.

I love the creature effects and there are still some really nice moments of Gremlin gore and horror which hint at what could of been. Unfortunately it just gets lost in a sea of zany childish wackiness that doesn't really appeal to adults, fans of the original or kids because its still a bit too scary for them, so really it has no decent target audience.
Alice S

July 31, 2013
So freakin' stupid, and the movie knew it and tried to salvage itself by getting self-referential and ridiculous. The only really funny part was Kate starting her suicidally depressing Lincoln's Birthday story as a send-up to her most awful Christmas story in the prequel.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
Aside from breaking the fourth wall multiple times, there is not really anything particularly bad about the second instalment of "Gremlins," but it just feels like the same thing, done in a bigger way. It's undeniably a very fun film to watch, but the plot is lazy and the characters are unintentionally hilarious. This time, our main characters from the original have now grown up and made a life for themselves, but as Gizmo comes back into their lives, all hell breaks loose. This feels like a children's version of "Die Hard!" I had a blast laughing at all the slapstick and the action (along with the visuals) is actually very well-produced. I can't give much credit to this film, because it seems like a rehash, but it was a very enjoyable one!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 15, 2012
Gremlins was such a fun comedic monster flick. Obviously a sequel was in order. Although not as great as the original, Gremlins 2 has enough good elements to appeal to fans of the first film. The first Gremlins was such a great horror comedy, that it's almost hard to try and recapture the magic, fun and thrills of the first. Although not a great film, this sequel does a pretty good job at delivering what you'd expect. Director Joe Dante delivers a good sequel to his 1984 film. With this sequel, he makes the film somewhat more fun, and crazy than the first film. I thought it was a sequel worth watching, while not as great as the first film, Gremlins 2 delivers on the craziness. Joe Dante is a phenomenal director, and he delivers a film that is worth your time. The film tries a bit too hard at outdoing the first film. Even with that said, I still enjoyed this film, thought it was loads of fun from start to finish and still had everything that the first enjoyable. As far as horror comedies are concerned, Gremlins 2 is a welcome addition to the genre, and though not as great as the first, still manages to bring on good laughs and scares. I very much recommend this film and if you've enjoyed the first film, you're sure to enjoy this zany sequel. Gremlins 2 has its faults, but in the end it's mindless fun, which is what this film strives for. A must see film for horror comedy fans. The film may not be as memorable as the first, but is still provides you with a good time.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 4, 2007
The Gremlins are back to terrorise a tower block in the city.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 29, 2011
Gremlins 2 isn't as clever as the first one but is better then you'd probably expect. The writers abandon the idea of horror comedy and go on the lines of pure comedy. The New Batch is an example of how good a film that relies on gags can actually be.
Alexander D

July 14, 2011
It's sad to say that THE NEW BATCH was like any typical sequel: not as good as the original, but not quite disappointing. Yes, this was still hilarious, and Joe Dante learned, within the six years between the releases of the two films, how to make bigger, better "ewww" scenes, such as the scene where someone accidentally put a Gremlin through a paper shredder, or another scene when we see the grotesque-looking, slime-covered Gremlin eggs that look like dissected hearts with green food coloring spread throughout them. Yes, I'd have to say that this one, though funny, slightly lowered the "comedy" genre and somewhat upped the "horror genre, making a much different blend than the first. It was still enjoyable, though not as cute, sadly enough (the only cute thing here was Gizmo the Mogwai), and it is worth seeing. I would recommend renting it, though I found it quite hard to find--just saying.
Ken S

March 26, 2007
One of the craziest movies to ever make it though the studio system.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Gremlins did not need a sequel, first of all, and second, the plot of this one is pretty much the same as the first. It is a fun movie, though, so it's not too bad.
michael e.
michael e.

September 14, 2010
definitely one of the best movie sequels of all time, the movie was a MAJOR improvement from the first movie. Not saying i hate the movie i enjoy it very much its popcorn entertainment. But this movie is way better its funnier the gremlins are ten times more off the wall and crazy. I also enjoy the different type of gremlins that get mutated by the potions they drink from the lab that is run by Christopher lee (one of my favorite actors). The best of all the gremlins are the spider gremlin, the electric gremlin, the bat gremlin who does one of my favorite inside jokes the batman logo when it crashes through the wall, and my favorite the smart gremlin just because of how proper and elegant he is but he is still a pure evil villain
Richard C

July 21, 2010
C
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 18, 2009
Timeless Movie. The tiny Monsters are so funny.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Not as amazing as the original, but it's a completely different kind of movie. It's a lot more comedy oriented, rather than that odd blend of horror/comedy that made the first one so different. For what it is though, it's really fun and still has the majority of the characters and style from the first. Gizmo alone is completely worth this movie, becoming a Rambo Mogwai complete with an explosive bow and arrow.
Anthony L

September 18, 2009
The sequel doesn't have the magic that the first one had, which was a real shame.
Jason O

September 10, 2009
"Gremlins 2 - The New Batch" is a much funnier, wilder, and surprisingly even a better movie than the original "Gremlins." Zach Galligan and Phoebe Cates are back in this hilarious sequel, and so is Gizmo. Gizmo's old caretaker dies and Gizmo is picked up by some scientists who want to do experiments on him. Billy (Zach Galligan) rescues Gizmo and tells him to stay put until he can take him home. However, Gizmo doesn't stay put and (yep, you guessed it) he gets wet and produces even more of the ecstatic Gremlins than ever before. This time, the Gremlins terrorize a building that belongs to the new business, Clamp. It's up to Gizmo and the people of New York City to find a way, if there is one, to stop the wildly insane Gremlins from taking over the whole city.
"Gremlins 2 - The New Batch" is 100 times funnier than the first movie, and you'll know what I mean when you see some of the parts such as one of the Gremlins trying to be a dentist and some Gremlins duking it out with the Duke himself, John Wayne, with some guns in a western movie. The special effects are also a lot better. And the Gremlins are now taking new forms such as electricity, one Gremlin becomes smart and can talk distinguishly, and there's even one that can fly, and one that is in the form of a huge and terrifying spider. These Gremlins are wilder and more uncontrollable by the minute!

Pretty much, "Gremlins 2 - The New Batch" is a funnier and more upbeat movie than the original, and that makes for an even more entertaining movie. There's not many sequels to great movies that can even stand up to the original, and especially not many that are better than the original, but "Gremlins 2 - The New Batch" is a huge exception. I recommend this movie to anybody who liked "Gremlins" and to anybody who likes comedy movies at all. This is a must have! NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Instantly became an all-time favorite of mine, WAY surpasses the original!
Coxxie M

June 9, 2009
good for watching a bunch of Joan Rivers-esque creatures play dress-up, but thats all
Chris G

March 4, 2008
If the original Gremlins was a dark satire then Gremlins 2 takes the darkness out and becomes a sci-fi/fantasy Cannonball Run. The Gremlins are back, getting wet and eating after midnight. But instead of the great little B movie we get what amounts to a parody of the first film.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 17, 2007
Contrary to the usual paradigm, I actually like this sequel somewhat better than the original. Maybe it's because this one is more like a parody of the first, meaning more fun, cooler gremlins and campy humor at its best.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

June 29, 2008
im sorry...i like it!
_kelly .

February 2, 2008
I like this one better than the first. Campier, funnier, better fx, improved creature designs, and I really like the claustrophobic feeling created by the suspense inside this gigantic skyscraper. Also, the funniest bit is that a "Grampa Dracula" character is a newscaster inside the building interviewing the Gremlins and reporting to the outside world.