Gridlock'd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gridlock'd Reviews

March 8, 2012
I found this quite a bleak depressing film with moments of humour, true its a dark comedy and a satirical look at the bureaucracy and needless paperwork that I'm sure most countries have but there isn't really anything upbeat about it.

Not that there is suppose to be I'm sure, a film about junkies trying to get into rehab or just looking for some help but only to come face to face with weeks of waiting and forms, enough to make anyone shoot themselves.

Its a decent film but not as good as it was made out to be in my opinion, Roth is simply his whiny foul mouthed annoying self but Shakur does a little better actually showing some emotion for once, Newton is just cute as a button but with little to do. I think the sub plot about getting involved in a murder case and having drug dealers on their tail kinda spoils the dark realistic comedy of their rehab mission, kinda makes it too daft and more Hollywood if you ask me. Definite cult and Shakur's last film.
April 14, 2009
I love this movie, its extremely entertainly.
Its a laugh a minute and you can just fall in love with all the characters!
Tupak and Roth are fantastic and have great chemistry and Newton is also brilliant.
Its a highly enjoyable and funny movie that is a must to watch!
January 25, 2010
an excellent film about friendship and the abuses of heroin. tupac puts forth probably the one truly noteworthy performance of his acting career and tim roth is brilliant as always. underrated in that this film has been so largely ignored over the years, definitely worth a watch.
June 12, 2008
Saw this one in a film festival and loved it. Tim Roth has always been great but Tupac Shakur suprised me with a fantastic performance. Junkie films are my favourites (Requiem for a dream) 'cause the persons always have a story behind them. Recommended!
½ August 26, 2007
Tupac is Great ^_^
June 30, 2007
A very funny dark comedy/buddy film.
September 25, 2009
Spoon (Tupac Shakur) and Stretch (Tim Roth) are heroin addicts who play in a jazz band with their straight-laced vegan girlfriend and lead singer, Cookie (Thandie Newton). After Cookie overdoses on heroin, Spoon decides it's time to kick the habit and go to rehab. The story revolves around Spoon and Stretch being given the runaround by the many government buildings they go to, about the medicaid they need, to be admitted into the rehabilitation program. Along the way they encounter crazy drug dealers, ubiquitious cops and their own drug addiction.

I believe Gridlock'd was Tupac Shakur's best performance, being released a few months after his murder. Tupac had more chemistry with Tim Roth than he did with anyone else he starred alongside with on his run in cinema. It was actually funny to see Roth trying to sound black, but it worked out so great here. I wish Thandie Newton could of had more screen time, though. She always seems to be a jewel whenever she appears on the set. Even though Gridlock'd is rather pessimistic in it's delivery, the film felt like an uplifting cartoon and you can tell Roth and Shakur were having a lot of fun in their respected roles. Gridlock'd is a grim look into the lives of addicts and the brooding world in which they live in.
April 27, 2010
Really frustrating but well-done movie that does portray the bureacratic issues that do in a sense perpetuate crime, violence, and substance abuse.

Bonus: Thandie Newton isn't in the movie all that much.
January 7, 2010
Brilliant movie. Brilliant.
It had funny parts, thrilling parts.
And a bucket full of fun.
Great watch! Tupac and Tim's performances were outstanding.
Oh the adventures of trying to get to a detox center..
Awesome movie i'd say.
It was hilarious when they got away from the cops because of the old guy with his dog.
½ December 30, 2009
Another terrific performance from Tupac. These two junkies are trying their damnedest to get clean and the system just won't help them out. The 'dark comedy' aspect doesn't rear it's head as often as I expected, but still fun to watch and reminisce on Tupac's work.
May 21, 2009
R.I.P. tupac. Okay the movie was nto memorable but I do remember that tupac was a great actor and he was quite good and believable in this film. is tim roth a dwarf???
½ February 15, 2009
A suprisingly well acted, okay movie. Roth was great and so was Newton (even with the limited screen time when she actually talked and wasen't comatose or "singing"), but the real surprise is Tupac. I was expecting some crap "rapper-who-thinks-he-can-act" performance, but he was really good and I wouldn't mind seeing any other movies he's in. Plus this wasen't some rap filled indie movie, so I was able to watch it and not get bored with the music in the background.
Yeah it lives up to the dark comedy name, but there are a few good chuckles to be had while watching this movie. Nothing that will make you fall out of your chair mind you, but some decent stuff.
It's worth seeing at least a few times, so don't pass it up.

"Hello? There's a woman been shot - a white woman. Okay? There's a whole bunch of black people out here, shooting and burning cars, talking about revolution. You better send some m************ out here!"
June 12, 2007
excellent film, Tim and Tupac's chemistry was awesome in this movie, one movie,Vondie Curtis hall, my hat off to you... r.i.p Tupac
May 20, 2007
America in a nutshell.I can't understand why someone didn't win an award for this classic.Thandie Newton has too be the most beautiful woman on earth......
March 21, 2007
tupac shakur....i think this movie was your best movie....a then not known thandie newton was great too...and tim roth exceptional
½ February 11, 2007
Dark Comedy that portrays 2pac in a different light. Pac was beginning to do roles that gave him "acting" range. Too bad he was murdered or you might see him on a Mos Def level. Even though Samuel L. Jackson hates to see rappers suceed as actors, the best to fill the role should be the most talented to act. Nuff Said!
½ May 22, 2006
A flawed movie with some very great moments. There is chemistry between Tupac and Roth (Roth being already actually one of great actors of his generation).
There is all this cheesy (unintentionally)caricature-ish jazz club stuff where Tupac is clearly playing dress-up and imitation. I can forgive it considering the many excellent scenes he otherwise has. I think this was Tupac's last movie performance and you can see him growing as an actor and taking risks. I wish he would have lived and moved beyond playing anything closely resembling his rapper personae and become a great actor, because he sure was photogenic and interesting to behold.
September 4, 2015
Superb storytelling.
May 8, 2015
Gets a little tired by the end but through most was interesting and gritty.
February 26, 2015
Good story! I can't believe I waited so long to see it. It shows realistically how the State makes it extremely difficult for addicts who genuinely want help kicking the habit, but don't know the system or have the funds for quick recovery. Good plot, good acting.