Griff the Invisible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Griff the Invisible Reviews

January 30, 2015
Funny, charming and strange: exactly what you wouldn't expect. Full review later.
July 23, 2014
Era una buena idea, un mundo personal interesante, pero el desarrollo queda al debe. Ni la dualidad cuando está de civil, ni su condición de superhéroe, ni mucho menos su romance (que pudo haber sido inolvidable pero queda cortísimo) logran desarrollarse de manera adecuada. Queda ahí, como una idea con potencial pero en el limbo entre lo divertido y lo triste.
½ November 10, 2013
This might just be the loveliest movie I've seen in some time
½ August 21, 2013
A sweet whimsical film that is a romance, comedy, drama, and so much else that it is hard to accurately define, but it is definitely entertaining. A very different role from Jason Stackhouse for Ryan Kwanten and it is one he does well with a very understated performance.
August 19, 2011
Mopey-but-sweet Australian entry in the Kick-Ass homemade superhero sweepstakes.
½ May 16, 2013
What initially felt like an annoyingly linear drama about a wannabe superhero that nobody wants or needs...eventually becomes a little gem of a romantic drama. Not sure what it is, but something in this film eventually clicks with originality and importance. Makes you question what really makes people "normal"? Is it their morals and what is in their hearts? Or is it more sadly, realistically, the lack of imagination that one has. The films definitely does something right by leaving us the opportunity to ask questions long after it is over, I just wish it got to this point a little sooner, which would have made it seem a little less like a boring sitcom (in the first half)
½ May 15, 2013
A bit disjointed narratively but this film rises on strong visuals and the utterly charming and quirky performances and sweet love story at the center
August 13, 2011
very unique. behind the complicated ideas lies simplicity and joy. totally recommended.
½ May 2, 2013
You probably didn't hear about it, but this independent Australian romantic comedy is really pretty good. It's a small, charming film with damaged but immensely likable and relatable characters. I guess I loved the premise more than anything - while this movie probably isn't the best possible execution of its basic idea, I loved the central idea so much that the movie still worked well for me anyway.

The story follows Griff (Ryan Kwanten), a meek nerd who has a boring job where he is picked upon by the office bully and ignored by everyone else. His life is generally sad, but he tries to make up for it by being a superhero by night, despite not having any superpowers or Batman-like amounts of money. Into his life comes Melody (Maeve Dermody), a beautiful girl who also feels like a social misfit. She might be the only person who can understand Griff's mental universe.

It's really a lovely premise not just about superheroes, but about accepting people as they are. Unlike in, say, Kickass, there are a couple of action sequences, but they're small and largely beside the point. The movie isn't about superheroics, it's about the idea of superheroics and why it can matter to people. It's not a superhero movie with romantic comedy elements, but a romantic comedy with superhero elements. The central performances by Kwanten and Dermody are both quite charming, and played with wide-eyed sincerity. Marshall Napier also nicely negotiates a delicate role as Griff's brother Benson, who is initially the one in love with Melody - we have to see that Benson isn't right for Melody, but also that he's a genuinely good guy, which is a tricky thing to pull off, but it works here.

This was the first movie written and directed by an Australian actor named Leon Ford, and it shows a lot of promise. His visual style was mostly nothing special, except for a couple of shots of Griff standing in a crowd, but he does have a good feel for quirky characters. I quite enjoyed this one, and hope Ford gets the chance to make other movies.
April 21, 2013
Combining quantum physics, fantasy, strength of character and a love story, this movie may fly over the heads of unthinking mono-dimensionalists. I loved it.
March 25, 2013
Not a bad off beat comedy from Aus. Not all with it office worker finds his dream nutter.
March 29, 2013
This is a beautiful first feature for Australian director/ writer Leon Ford. Focusing on a socially awkward Griff and his relationships it is superbly shot to reflect the emotions, thoughts of Griff and the other characters and the subject matter. This film has a melancholic yet child like imaginative quality. The costume and art design is some of the best I've seen in Australian films. It is stylised in a really interesting way that focuses on Griff's world rather than placing it so obviously as Sydney, Australia. Whereas most Australian films tend to awkwardly over-emphasise location and Australian "culture". Rather this film focuses on some unique characters with their own flaws and quirks and we get to experience their emotional journey that is both sweet and heart breaking. The performances are outstanding especially for Griff played by Ryan Kwanten (True Blood) and Maeve Dermondy (Beautiful Kate) as Melody. The film also has a great supporting cast and the cinematography is a joy to watch, complimenting the tone and emotions of the characters. Overall a really strong first feature for Ford, but also a beautiful quirky drama.
March 20, 2013
fun semi superhero drama about a shy lonely bloke who at night imagines he's a superhero until he meets a like minded love intrest. its ok quite funny and the main guy is pretty good in the lead.watchable indie flick
March 4, 2013
Nervous and introverted during the day, masked vigilante by night... Griff is a mild mannered client relations officer for a small firm in Sydney. He has a strong sense of morality and a self imposed obligation to rid the streets of filth. Unable to hide his secret from a likeminded girl who understands his life's mission, the two form a unique bond that proves to be revealing and uber cute. Griff The Invisible is a real delight. I am really loving Ryan Kwanten's work and love the fact that he keeps returning to Australia to make home-grown films... he has rejected Hollywood's pull and shows pride in his roots (take notes Melissa George). Its a quirky movie with a genuinely poignant touch that makes it more than simple fodder... in fact it reminded me a lot of the 80s movie Malcolm.
March 3, 2013
Sweet story of discovery, acceptance, and love - of self and by your "one"
February 6, 2013
Wow. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's a love letter to geeky no-one-understands-me loneliness and love in a Western world that is so full of bullies and isolation. Super touching and heart-warming. Real love is seeing the infinite that is yourself reflected in the other. This movie illustrates that so so well on many levels.
February 2, 2013
what starts off as a slightly stupid and funny off-beat comedy, develps into a quite wonderful drama about love and weirdness.
January 14, 2013
Griff the Invisible Australian film written and directed by Leon Ford. Starring Ryan Kwanten (Red Hill).

Griff ((Ryan) is an office-worker frequently bullied by his mean co-worker, he is socially awkward to spend time with - BUT at night he is Griff The Invisible protecting the citizens in his beloved neighborhood. He stumbles over a girlfriend of his brother, who shares similar understanding of the surroundings. However, little by little he comes to realize that this has been rather his imaginary world but not real.

Though it's an Australian take on superhero story, it probably settles score with twist and freak-imagination; which classifies it to be rarely built movie. Acting is average, the camera-work is fine - this is an absolute movie to choose and watch to ward off day's exhaustion.
January 17, 2012 I don't quite know what to think of this one. Because. Spoiler alert. He isn't actually a superhero. He thinks he's one. Which, actually could be material for a really funny comedy. But the thing is, Griff is almost "too" quirky for any of it to be considered funny. As in he might actually be psychologically damaged in some way, which puts this movie in a whole new light, so in that respect, it could be a really interesting drama. Except, the stuff he does is funny. Like booby trapping the office, running around the streets, it's too funny to be a drama. So, I don't think the writer quite knew what he wanted to do with this one. However, what I did appreciate was Ryan Kwanten's performance. I am so used to seeing him as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood. This is a really nice change of pace for him. Griff is painfully shy, and more than a little quirky. Kwanten handles the interesting script really well. Overall though, he couldn't save the indecisive super hero movie.
½ June 24, 2012
a movie about one of the basic raw human emotions of needing to be understood. "come into my bubble"