Grizzly Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grizzly Man Reviews

May 15, 2016
Truly one of the best documentaries out there about grizzly bears and awareness of them. It is sad that Tim got eaten alive by of them. It shows a great aspect of life towards how we have to be aware of the grizzly bear and at the same time value what we have.
August 11, 2010
I guess what makes this doc interesting is the flawed nature of the lead protagonist.
April 19, 2016
Mad Haunting + Sentimental
½ March 31, 2016
I don't like Timothy Treadwell. I believe he had good motives, but he was the kind of animal lover who refused to take the animals on their own terms, and it got him, his girlfriend and one of the bears he wanted to protect killed. That said, he captured some incredible footage. I tend to side with Herzog's far from idealized view of nature, but when I watch the footage Treadwell got of himself and a fox, I start to see his side and find it hard to resist. This is a magnificent documentary. It weaves Treadwell's footage, interviews with people who knew him, and Herzog's own musings into a captivating tapestry that really has no simple thing to say about Treadwell.
March 13, 2016
3.9/5
While basic in the way its made, Grizzly Man is a powerful and emotional documentary that is very competently directed thanks to Werner Herzogs expertice.
March 8, 2016
Fantastic doc that shows many sides of this story and the subject himself. It allows you to form your own conclusion based on the evidence presented and is a fascinating story to boot.
September 18, 2015
A very powerful and unique documentary. It'll keep you interested and ultimately breaks your heart. Fascinating and moving, well worth a watch.
February 14, 2016
An interesting documentary with Werner Herzog's direction that makes it better. RIP Timothy Treadwell
April 19, 2014
He doesn't balk at injecting his own nihilistic leanings into his films (I mean, don't you expect him to?), but nonetheless Werner Herzog is the king of finding fascinating subjects for his documentaries. Grizzly Man seems to run in place at times, but it still captures the portrait of a truly bizarre individual in the late Timothy Treadwell. I haven't seen a character this befuddling and ultimately engrossing in fiction for quite awhile (I suppose the truth is stranger). And his Shakespearean downfall only heightens the drama.

I personally think that Treadwell was crazy, but the doc leaves judgment up to the viewer. Regardless, it is a powerful film. 7.6/10
½ December 6, 2015
Shows Timothy's kindness and delusion in equal parts
½ August 29, 2015
He punched a bear in the face. That alone is worth almost 4 stars.
August 17, 2015
Docu about the fool who took a girl to cam out with grizzlies. Want to see it again.
August 13, 2015
Just an interesting doc,well made and a fascinating story.
July 18, 2015
A tragic character study of Timothy Treadwill's five years before his death amongst the animals he adored.
May 10, 2015
You want my opinion? There's no doubt that Mr. Treadwell was out of his F'n mind (and I'm not saying that because he got close to grizzlies, just watch the "Fuck you America" and "We need some water down here" scenes), but that doesn't stop "Grizzly Man" from being an entertaining, thought provoking, and moving piece of doc cinema.
June 8, 2015
Would you go face to face with a Bear? Would you mess with that Bear? Would you live and die for that Bear? I don't recommend it, but Timothy Treadwell, for what it's worth, did just that. It's great to see Werner Herzog, such a versatile director, find enough art and brilliance in this man to make a film about him. This is one of the best documentaries out there. You must search it out immediately.
June 8, 2015
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Grizzly Man is a stunning exploration of a passionate man whose only love (bears, of course) ended up murdering him. It's tragic but mesmerizing. The real-life footage of the man interacting with the bears is some of the most incredible nature footage out there. Absolutely brilliant. See this!!!
½ May 31, 2015
An absorbing, confounding documentary by director Werner Herzog about self-proclaimed bear lover Timothy Treadwell, who lived in the wilderness among wild bears at Katmai National Park in Alaska for thirteen summers, before he and his girlfriend were fatally attacked there by a bear. Treadwell documented his interactions with the bears on camera, which included remarkable footage of him touching them. There were over 100 hours of video that Herzog selected along with additional interviews he accumulated from Treadwell's family, friends, and nature experts. What makes this a peculiarly engrossing documentary is Treadwell himself. He filmed candid confessionals that revealed his contradictions, bravery, arrogance, foolishness, and heedless self-destruction. We watch, transfixed, by his perplexing behavior. Herzog provides the narration but it's more of a distraction than a benefit; his commentary often resorts to simplistic ruminations. Still, the movie is consistently fascinating throughout. It's both a celebration and cautionary tale of man versus hostile nature.
½ May 19, 2015
The rare documentary whose narrator expresses no bias toward his subject. We get a well-rounded look at a peculiar man and are allowed to decide for ourselves whether his plight was important or foolhardy.