Grizzly Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grizzly Man Reviews

½ August 29, 2015
He punched a bear in the face. That alone is worth almost 4 stars.
August 17, 2015
Docu about the fool who took a girl to cam out with grizzlies. Want to see it again.
August 13, 2015
Just an interesting doc,well made and a fascinating story.
June 8, 2015
Would you go face to face with a Bear? Would you mess with that Bear? Would you live and die for that Bear? I don't recommend it, but Timothy Treadwell, for what it's worth, did just that. It's great to see Werner Herzog, such a versatile director, find enough art and brilliance in this man to make a film about him. This is one of the best documentaries out there. You must search it out immediately.
June 8, 2015
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Grizzly Man is a stunning exploration of a passionate man whose only love (bears, of course) ended up murdering him. It's tragic but mesmerizing. The real-life footage of the man interacting with the bears is some of the most incredible nature footage out there. Absolutely brilliant. See this!!!
½ May 31, 2015
An absorbing, confounding documentary by director Werner Herzog about self-proclaimed bear lover Timothy Treadwell, who lived in the wilderness among wild bears at Katmai National Park in Alaska for thirteen summers, before he and his girlfriend were fatally attacked there by a bear. Treadwell documented his interactions with the bears on camera, which included remarkable footage of him touching them. There were over 100 hours of video that Herzog selected along with additional interviews he accumulated from Treadwell's family, friends, and nature experts. What makes this a peculiarly engrossing documentary is Treadwell himself. He filmed candid confessionals that revealed his contradictions, bravery, arrogance, foolishness, and heedless self-destruction. We watch, transfixed, by his perplexing behavior. Herzog provides the narration but it's more of a distraction than a benefit; his commentary often resorts to simplistic ruminations. Still, the movie is consistently fascinating throughout. It's both a celebration and cautionary tale of man versus hostile nature.
½ April 25, 2015
A character study, documentary and drama mixed into one = great experiment. Wernerg Herzog directs and narrates this compelling documentary about a subject, a man who wants to give his life for wild bears. You get into the mindset of the weird but poignant Timothy Thradewell. He was a really good man in some eyes a lesser great person in others. Thrugh this documentary you also can form an opinion about him. He is relatable but also very controversial which is depicted with great effort in this picture. He made art and political stands with his report films.
½ November 17, 2013
Absorbente, fascinante, impresionante, y en ocasiones horripilante y tenebrosa; Grizzly Man es de los mejores documentales que podrás encontrar.
½ March 28, 2015
The movie focused too much on the controversy that surrounded Treadwell, too much on his death, and not enough on his life. I started out intrigued but found myself feeling indifferent after a while. And I'm not sure if those interviews were authentic or not but some were kind of weird and seemed scripted. The movie doesn't fail, though. Herzog wanted to tell the mans story and that's what he did. So if you like the man you'll like this eccentric documentary.
March 30, 2015
Fascinating, hilarious, life-changing, heart-rending, complex, yet oh so simple in its ability to captivate an audience. This movie is the sh*t!
½ March 18, 2015
With an utterly mesmerizing subject, Herzog chooses to position the film as if it were a conversation between two kindred spirits. Due to this approach, Treadwell's bizarre actions are never mocked or demonized; this respect allows the film to transcend its genre to become something truly special.
½ January 23, 2015
A sad and interesting documentary of the doomed Timothy Treadwell; a confused yet well-meaning person who was saved from alcoholism and addiction by his love of animals. The footage he captured in beautiful Alaska of bears and foxes is breathtaking. Werner Herzog made an insightful movie with interviews from officials, friends and family.
January 3, 2015
Review soon, one lachrymose experience . . . and in the history of documentaries has there ever been a greater narrator/director than Werner Herzog?
Herzog:"I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility, and murder."
November 23, 2014
Moving, riveting and engaging. I am just sorry his life ended so violently and tragic.
½ November 2, 2014
I recently had a chance to watch the movies "Into the Wild" and Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man". Both deal with man's desire to find peace in the wilderness, and both are very worth watching.
Though Grizzly Man is a very different film in the technical sense, the same themes of Into the Wild are present here. We follow the tragic story of Timothy Treadwell who spends months living alone with bears in the wilderness until he is finally killed and eaten by one. Similar to McCandless (the protagonist in "Into the Wild"), Treadwell sees nature as the harmonious counterpart to chaotic society. In fact, it seems that Treadwell loses himself in the bear-world, wishing he could become one to fully integrate. Like McCandless Treadwell has a hard time unifying his view of the bear world with its harsh reality. And just like him, he invents his own persona to redefine himself in the new world. Whether Treadwell ultimately accepts the harsh truth of nature's reality remains unknown.
I found Treadwell to be much less accessible and identifiable than McCandless. Nevertheless, I felt that I understood Treadwell, and the inner battle he was facing. Not being able to integrate into society, he flees into the nature world, and slowly starts turning the human world against him. His self-centeredness is surely sometimes hard to digest. At the same time, it gives us insight into his most inner troubles.
Filmwise, I found Grizzly Man the more difficult movie to watch. This is partly due to Treadwell's self-centered ramblings, the almost cartoon-like characters that are interviewed, or Herzog's trademark occasional commentary about the mundane. Still, the movie sparks a great deal of discussion, and after some digestion forces you to think more deeply about it. I would highly recommend watching it for some of the memorable scenes alone. As always, Herzog manages to capture a dark, spooky and chaotic world. He engages the viewer and starts a dialog with Treadwell on his videos.
October 26, 2014
Werner Herzog set up a high standard of what it means to be a documentary film. Herzog provides both positive and negative sides of views on Timothy Treadwell and let the audience be their own judge of the cruel accident. It is my favourite documentary ever and nothing can top this. The Grizzly Man has the best background music, the best narrative, the top-notch shooting sequences and editing, etc. Only Werner Herzog can make Grizzly Man.
October 5, 2014
I had forgotten how much I like this Herzog documentary. Not knowing anything about Timothy Treadwell before viewing this, but knowing that this man called the "Grizzly Man" had been eaten by grizzlies, I was not sure what to expect. Did he do more harm than good? Was he a person who believe he was one with the bears? Did he jeopardize his girlfriend's life? Was he mentally unstable? was he just living his life doing what he believed in? He captured some extraordinary moments on film. Herzog took what he captured and gave the viewers a story.
½ September 16, 2014
A HUGE return to form for Werner Herzog. Like Klaus Kinski before him, the crazy/tragic life of Timothy Treadwell brings out the best in the idiosyncratic director, and no one else could have done him justice.
September 7, 2014
The best documentary of Herzog's that I've seen. Engrossing.