Total Recall: Adam Sandler's Best Movies

Summary

The critics might not be looking forward to Adam Sandler getting the gang back together for this weekend's Grown-Ups 2, but box office receipts don't lie -- the critics are handily outnumbered by Sandler's many ardent fans, many of whom have been laughing it up over the SNL vet's shtick for more than two decades. With another likely hit under his belt, Sandler seemed like the perfect candidate for this week's list, and the results -- while certainly filled with a few more Rotten films than your average Total Recall candidate -- include some of the biggest comedy hits in recent memory. Watch out for Bob Barker and giant penguins, and let's start the countdown! Back to Article

Comments

Valmordas

Val Mordas

and by great you mean raw sewerage.

Jul 11 - 04:03 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Don't even start, you ungrateful hag.

Jul 11 - 07:57 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'm supposed to be grateful for what exactly? Certainly not Sandler.

Jul 11 - 09:24 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

You should be grateful that sandler has saved you money from going to see his movies the last several years

Jul 12 - 09:32 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

He most definitely has. Although I probably spent it on something equally as worthless.

Jul 12 - 09:25 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

Rotten Tomatoes is a site of numbers, right? It's so technical, that even 60 (instead of 50) % is the line between "fresh" and "rotten". Out of these 10 movies, only 4 are fresh. Actually, out of his entire career, only 4 movies are fresh. So he's a rotten actor.

Jul 11 - 04:05 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

That's not sad; it's a hypocresy.

Jul 11 - 04:06 PM

Aaron B.

Aaron Berry

I don't think you know what that word means.

Jul 11 - 08:22 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

He agreed to star in a movie that made fun of his dumb comedies, which is the same as admitting they're dumb, and then kept making them.

Jul 16 - 12:02 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

The final act of CLICK is a surprise if you haven't seen IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

Jul 11 - 04:08 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

That part of the movie was actually good but all the toilet crap humor really brings that movie down a few notches

Jul 12 - 09:31 AM

Shane Bargy

Shane Bargy

Can you explain why The Hangover wasn't high 80's or 90's? I realize it's subjective, but that movie was about as funny as it gets...for this type of humor. It was every bit as good in its genre as any other movie that year. Wedding Crashers and Anchorman also in the mid 70's and 60's. Ace Ventura rated at 20% (top critics) and Jim Carrey's performance has been labeled comedic genius. Even Siskel & Ebert went back and re-rated it higher because they were jaded when watching the first time. My point is that this type of comedy, similar to the Sandler movies are often underrated by critics and should not be referenced when deciding what comedy to go see. I guess it is beneath many of them to say they enjoyed this type of "dumbed" down humor, even though it is at times very well done. This is not to say that there haven't been some terrible ones like Mr. Deeds, Grown Ups and some others. They really were horrible!

Jul 11 - 04:45 PM

King  S.

King Simba

What about Bridesmaids? That film has a score in the low 90s and it's filled with a lot of crude humor. Mel Brooks' fells are typically pretty crude and they're also highly rated.

And the 79% rating means 4 out of every 5 critics like the film, so I don't see how you can say they can't appreciate crude humor when the majority gave that film a good review. I mean it has a higher rating than some best picture winners.

Also, this is a matter of opinion, but I think the rating to Wedding Crashers is pretty fair. It's a good movie, but I find the humor a little too inconsistent to a call it a great movie. Anchorman I think should be rated higher, but I can see why some critics would have a problem with it (it does drag at times, particularly when Ron looses his job and the repetitive relationship he has with Veronica).

Jul 11 - 11:10 PM

Trevor M.

Trevor Merrill

Trevor Merrill

It's so sad looking at all of the user scores versus critic scores of Sandler movies. Almost every one of them is given about 30-40% by critics, but a 70-80% by the general public. Just goes to show that most people mistakenly believe that they absolutely LOVE terrible Adam Sandler movies. Raise the bar people, like for real. Adam Sandler is like Tyler Perry: people go in droves to watch their movies and force themselves to laugh at the same horrible jokes over and over again and somehow never realize, "hey this is the same movie I saw last year and it is still just as horrible". Fail, America. Fail.

Jul 11 - 05:58 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

It just affirms to me that 70-80% of the general public are retarded rubes.

Jul 12 - 06:20 AM

Harry  A.

Harry Ash

I think that's a bit harsh dude (and I think Val that it's 1/4 of the public is retarded). I would say that I'm a movie snob and two of my favorite movies are Big Daddy and Wedding Singer. I know they're bad, but, still two of my favorites.

Jul 13 - 07:08 AM

Crix Cognito

Crix Cognito

His films are for amazingly stupid people dumb enough to be suckered into spending money on his brainless, effortless, d-bag comedy shtick.

Jul 11 - 07:25 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Don't even start, you ungrateful hag.

Jul 11 - 07:57 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'm supposed to be grateful for what exactly? Certainly not Sandler.

Jul 11 - 09:24 PM

Aaron B.

Aaron Berry

I don't think you know what that word means.

Jul 11 - 08:22 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

Jul 16 - 12:02 PM

Isaiah Howell

Isaiah Howell

Im watching Reign Over Me now it resembles "The Soloist"

Jul 11 - 08:32 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'm supposed to be grateful for what exactly? Certainly not Sandler.

Jul 11 - 09:24 PM

Carlos Alonso

Carlos Alonso

Punch drunk love is the only Sandler's movie that I have watched twice, the other are from bad to worse

Jul 11 - 09:41 PM

Andrew Nee

Andrew Nee

Punch-Drunk Love showed me that Sandler can be a surprisingly solid actor when everything else is in place. Unfortunately it is the only movie that I've seen him in that I feel this way.

Jul 11 - 10:02 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

When I was 12 or 13, yeah he was fine. But now as an adult I can say I've never seen him in a good comedy. (The closest to a good comedy I've seen from him is maybe 50 First Dates). Though I've never sing the Wedding Singer so maybe I'll check that out someday.

Jul 11 - 10:13 PM

Edward Kennedy

Edward Kennedy

A crap top ten for a crap actor. How very fitting. At least I'm not the only person out there who cannot stand this man nor his infantile attempts at comedy!

Jul 11 - 10:53 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jul 11 - 11:10 PM

gammellm

Mike Gammell

I can count on one mangled hand all the good Adam Sandler movies. It's a shame cause he's made pretty much nothing but crap the last 10 years or so.

Jul 12 - 05:08 AM

gammellm

Mike Gammell

I was with you until you started talking about European movies.

Jul 12 - 05:10 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast