—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Guarding Tess Reviews

Red L

February 24, 2014
The premise of the movie (differing opinions between a headstrong political widow and her secret service agents) is good. But the movie struggles in the details - especially in last scenes of the movie.
Anthony L

December 4, 2013
Guarding Tess is labelled a comedy, the problem is that it's not very funny. There are funny people in it though which makes this all the more annoying. I was unaware that Austin Pendleton was in it before viewing, so that was a nice surprise, everything else however was rather a disappointment. There wasn't enough character development and not enough time passed for us to really believe in the relationships, making the conclusion a bit half-hearted and everything beforehand a bit tiresome.
ScoopOnline

January 27, 2007
Funny.
Steven V

April 21, 2008
The performances by the two leads are perfect and certain situations are clever. But the third act ends on a ridiculous serious note that killed the film as a whole. And the music is way over the top.
Sunil J

April 25, 2008
It's remarkably like the Bodyguard except they don't fall in love...thank god.
June 13, 2009
Back when I liked a movie because Cage was in it. was also among first "older people' movies I'd seen. cant imagine it would be interesting another time around
terris85017
terris85017

March 7, 2009
Wonderful, low key tale told from a very different perspective. Great role for Shirley MacLaine (my idol!). (review to be fcontinued)
February 25, 2009
So I was looking for something shorter to watch and this one is right at an hour and a half. Not a Nick Cage fan but I do love Shirley MacLaine.

Started out a little slow. More irritating than not. Tess Carlisle was petulant and Doug Chesnick was spineless. Thought I would hate it. But then Tess starts to soften a bit and Doug begins to find his backbone, and then throw in the excitement Chesnick feels he's been missing in his post, guarding a former first lady.

It doesn't seem like it would ever work up to anything worthwhile to watch but somehow, it charms you...

The ending redeems every unpalatable moment that precedes it. Nice flick if you have 90 minutes or so to fill.
December 26, 2008
Store Manager: [to Doug] Does she want to be known today?
[Doug shakes his head]
Store Manager: [to customers and cashiers] Don't know her! Don't know her! Don't know her!

A great comedy that is full of laughs yet has some drama too. It does touch your heart.
December 31, 2007
This is a terrible "comedy" that no one should ever see. It's lame and not funny and I would rather stare at a wall for 90 minutes instead of watching this lousy excuse for a movie ever again.
June 21, 2007
It doesn't sound like much, just to look at the synopsis. Nicholas Cage plays a secret service agent in charge of guarding a former First Lady, Tess Carlisle (Shirley MacLaine), who would rather not be guarded. Cage would rather not be guarding her either, seeing this as something of a pud job, and Mrs. Carlisle as a demanding b****. As the movie progresses, though, we observe their relationship gradually grow into one of loving respect as they come to know one another as friends. Very entertaining.
May 26, 2007
This movie must have been created to prove that having two really good actors in your movie will not save a lame story. It's such a sorry film.
shelerella
April 24, 2007
Cute and somewhat funny..MacLaine and Cage are both great actors, I don't know if they go well together here, but it was still worth watching...
mcjeffries
March 27, 2007
Very cute. A bit slow at times, but once you've seen it you'll want to watch the good parts over and over again.
longlegs1980
January 30, 2007
Shirley McClane and Nicholas Cage are sooooo FUNNY together in this movie, I luv the sarcastic way she is.
moviempress
January 4, 2007
MacLaine is a dream as always and Cage and her spit repoirte back just as sharp as knives. Very enjoyable.
December 15, 2013
This movie advertises itself as a comedy. This is unfortunate because it really isn't funny at all. Nicolas Cage strolls through his part, as a SPIC, coming to the end of his tour of duty to guard the ex-president's wife. Shirley MacLaine comes off better and there are occasional moments of genuine charm. But the movie lacks pace; it drones on from set piece to fumbled set piece. On a quiet Sunday afternoon it might pass the time, but is lacks any real warmth.
Bengel W.
September 25, 2013
Shirley MacLaine as a former first lady will have you in stitches of laughter as she treats Nicholas Cage with tasks that do not belong to a bodyguard. Alas Richard Griffiths steals the film with his operatic whit. Bravo! Nibbles: Baked Apple Pancake.
February 6, 2013
A very average and somewhat forgettable comedy-drama that should keep you entertained if you have nothing better to watch, just don't expect anything memorable.