—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Guess Who Reviews

Lucas M

July 23, 2012
Offensive, to some audiences, Guess Who is an unfunny modern view of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is a loose remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with a race reversal, but it seems to have far more in common with Meet the Parents (with a racial twist). Unlike the 1967 film, this bypass serious drama and instead goes for the path of farce. In a way, this film really doesn't have a lot of impact. In 1967, interracial relationships were a far more touchy subject. Now they really aren't that big of a deal. Also, by going for the farce route, there's not really a lot of substance here. There are a couple of really good scenes that go in that direction, but this is mostly just a racial comey of mistrust and misunderstanding. This kind of thing has been done before as well, and also better.

This is still mildly passable and decent entertainment though. I laughed a handful of times, enjoyed the performances, and really enjoyed the dinner table scene. That's the best scene, and also happens to be the one touching upon something more deep and meaningful. It's a shame that the rest of the film couldn't be like that.

As I said though, this is still an okay film as is. Saldana and Kutcher are both decent, but each has delivered better than this. This is really Bernie Mac's movie. He does a great job of playing the suspicious, sardonic, and mistrusting father who's not too impressed with her's daughter's white fiancee. He's got good chemistry with the rest of the cast, and is just a lot of fun to watch.

You don't have to see this movie (even though I am mildly recommending it), but if you do, see it for the performances (especially Mac's), and the aforementioned dinner table scene.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Very funny!
KJ P

January 13, 2010
Bernie Mac is hilarious! He keeps this average movie going, which makes it soo much better!
Luke B

September 2, 2008
Meet the Parents with an extra war of the races twist. It mostly relies on those comedic moments of pure painful embarrassment which are all handled very well and taken to the extreme. Kutcher being coaxed into telling black jokes to his future in laws is a prime example of upping the ante with each minute waiting for the inevitable downfall. The film works as it laughs with each race as opposed to at them, well sometimes at them, but in a sweet kind of way not likely to offend. Other than that though it is far too predictable to be any purposeful comment on society. Still it's true enough and well acted for the required chuckles, groans, and aaaawwwwww's.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 4, 2007
Romcom about an interracial relationship between Ashton Kutcher and Zoë Sandaña, which causes tension when he meets her father Bernie Mac. Predictable but loveable. Ashton is hot!
EightThirty .

October 27, 2007
Pretty Funny ^_^
deano
deano

November 30, 2006
Fine comedy with Bernie Mac who determines Ashton Kutcher to break his daughter's engagement because Ashton's white. It is equal to the 1967 remake Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with different opposite sex between black and white people.
Todd S

April 3, 2007
This is a remake of the 1967 film, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, however in this version roles are reversed and Ashton Kutcher is the minority. This movie was great for two reasons. All the talented people that star in it and for how it played on something we generally don't talk about, reverse racism. It gives everyone a chance to see things from the other sides perspective. At the same time, it's clever, and funny. Guess Who is a can't miss!
Dannielle A

October 29, 2007
So awkward!
Nicolas K

December 2, 2007
I did not find it particularly funny.
Yinalí R

July 19, 2007
Super funny.
Andrew F

July 3, 2007
I like Ashton Kutcher, but I hate Bernie Mac and this movie. Why did they even try to remake the classic Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? It should be ashamed to share two words with Guess Who.
Donna D

December 8, 2008
I thought this movie was going to be funny, seeing that Bernie Mac was the lead actor, but it really didn't appeal to me as much. I was annoyed more with Zoe Saldana's character opposite Ashton Kutcher who did a good job, but just wasn't as funny as he could have been. A disappointment.
KeepGuessing
KeepGuessing

May 29, 2008
At first, it's quite entertaining to see Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac bust each others balls. But it gets old fast after awhile.
Sean S

April 12, 2008
This should have been truly horrible but I just liked all the characters. The actors brought a lot of charisma to their parts and for the most part it was just funny.
iLeo
iLeo

October 3, 2006
Funny!
Sunil J

November 27, 2007
Smart and funny. I really like it.
Sarah P

November 8, 2007
Hey this will be funny! A black man shunning his daughters white boyfriend. Oh wait, it's not 1964? Okay, nevermind...
Chosen 7

June 9, 2007
Entertaining at times..
But disappointed.
The original was much better because they didn't try so hard to be funny.