19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Gulliver's Travels Reviews

Anthony L

May 8, 2013
Gulliver's Travels is a classic piece of literature that has gone through a few different incarnations and much like say A Christmas Carol, it's nice to see the different ways people tell the same story. This version was fine, I quite like what they did. However, if you are not a fan of Jack Black, and I have to say the more I see him the more I dislike him, then you probably wont like it. Why can't he do something different, why can't he act. Honestly, if only he and Jason Segel had swapped roles then this film would have improved 100%. The supporting cast was good but only Chris O'Dowd really embraced his character and subsequently steals the show.
KJ P

February 16, 2011
Unnecessary, preposterous, and hardly ever paying a homage to the original tale, this re-imagining of "Gulliver's Travels" is boring and stupid. Jack Black is just being himself in this film, and it seems like the filmmakers are hoping for that to carry the film, and honestly, as sad as it is, that is the best part about it. We are supposed to be told the backstory of these little people, but instead we are told the story from the perspective of Gulliver, which is much less interesting. The original cartoon showed depth in these miniature people and had you rooting for everyone, but in this film everyone is just "there" with nothing to do. The dialogue is laughable, the gags rely on todays technology, and the plot twists are very childish. This film is garbage, but I did admire the few winks it delivered!
EightThirty .

January 16, 2011
12/08/2012 (Blu-Ray 3D)
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

January 5, 2012
Everyone who watched this movie expected something big out of it. Jack Black doing his trademark stuff with a bit of physical humour and a story that fitys him. Sounded absolutely great. But unfortunately it didn't do justice to the source material and the effects much like the story was flimsy and unconvincing.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 11, 2009
Well i dont like Jack Black at the best of times, i thought however with a great supporting cast that this could be a nice surprise!
Well i was right, just another rubbish Jack Black movie thats unfunny in every sense. Even with funny People such as Blunt Segel and comdiens like connolly, O'dowd and Catherine Tate its still a shockingly unfunny movie. Which is a talent in itself!
Jason O

October 17, 2011
"Gulliver's Travels" screams predictability throughout, and some parts are overly silly (Jack Black tumbling around as he sings "War, what is it good for" at the end, anyone? As if THAT's going to keep the kingdom's people from ever fighting or arguing again...), but I found it to be a rather entertaining and funny enough film. Jack Black did a good job with what he could.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

December 22, 2010
average family fare. there are some entertaining moments and a few that made me laugh out loud, but there are also many moments that fall totally flat and leave the film feeling stale.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
I did not like this movie. The only things good about this movie was Chris O'Dowd and Jason Segel. There is no reason that this movie was in 3D. They should have put the 3D to good use by NOT using it! Jack Black is reprising his role as the fat loser from all of his other movies.
Luke B

June 18, 2011
I'm all for a loose take on a classic, but if you're going to be a comedy at least try and be funny. This film was an abysmal piece of trash thrown together as quickly as possible. It turned from generic comedy, to urine jokes, and then just into full on embarrassment. It doesn't help that it contains two of the most unlikable bastards in the world Catherine Tate and James Corden. I hope they die. Anyway, this mess has he most obvious jokes you can think of. Black's a giant, there's a fire, he urinates on it. Granted this is from the book itself, but this movie takes it to the point of overload as he soaks people. A man goes up his bum, Black introduces things like the fist-bump, and helps Segel woo a lady using the lyrics of Prince's classic, Kiss. As dumb as all this sounds it's just not fun or funny. At the point where the cast sings and dances to War, I just covered my eyes. There were zero laughs to be had, and as O'Dowd makes electrical puns whilst shocking Black, you can be sure to have heard every joke before.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 15, 2010
Cast: Jack Black, Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, Amanda Peet, Billy Connolly, Chris O'Dowd, T.J. Miller, James Corden, Catherine Tate

Director: Rob Letterman

Summary: When a trip to the Bermuda Triangle inevitably goes awry, shipwrecked travel writer Lemuel Gulliver (the inimitable Jack Black) finds himself in Lilliput, land of the little people, where he's bound to discover just how much size matters.

My Thoughts: "The film has Jack Black written all over it. From his goofy antics to the music. I'm not sure if the film was written with him in mind to play the lead, but it sure seems like it. I really only watched it because it had a great cast lined up. I love Emily Blunt, I think Jack Black is funny (most of the time), and Jason Segel is funny as well, plus I like Amanda Peet. But the film was just too silly and not silly funny. There were a few laugh out loud moments, but very few. I got no adventure just a silly/stupid film. The kids were completely bored and disgusted by having to endure a flash of Jack Black's a$$. So in the end it was a loss for both the adults and kids. Probably the worse film Jack Black has made in a long time."
Kevin C

May 30, 2011
I considered giving it a solid 2 stars. But then it ended with a musical number.
michael e.
michael e.

May 19, 2011
Very funny and very entertaining
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 30, 2011
This movie was a disgusting shame. The comedy is for 6 year old boys who pick their nose, Jack Black is so bad in this movie but the mini people suck even worse. This movie tricks you making it seem like a kid movie but then it curses, he starts peeing on people, and it has a lot of sex references. The story is so dumb and pointless. So overall, I hated this movie, and I don't recommend it to anybody.
Crash E

April 27, 2011
If you order Jack Black, that's what you'll get so why all this bad criticism?
Gulliver's Travel is certainly mediocre at tops but still enjoyable to watch
Alexis N

November 9, 2010
I'm kinda over Jack Black being the romantic lead. It's just not believable, funny only gets you so far. Other than that, it's a funny and stupid take on a classic. But it has entertainment value and an alright cast.
Everett J

April 5, 2011
Figured I'd give this a shot since I usually like Jack Black movies. I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, and honestly didn't expect much. Overall, I thought it was pretty enjoyable. It's a short(80 minutes long I think) fun adventure movie, that doesn't seem to get made very much anymore. I remember the TV mini-series in the 90's for this starring Ted Danson. That version was drawn out and made to be more of an epic story told, whereas this is just more of a small adventure. I'm sure kids will love it, and if you like Jack Black I'm sure you'll get a kick out of it too.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

January 19, 2010
Truly a junk, I was hoping a big and funny adventure movie from Jack Black, but instead of that I only got a lousy story, absurd, and even worse knowing how potentially good for the cast they have.. I don't say Jack Black, but Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother TV Series) and Emily Blunt (The Devil Wears Prada) were great, and now I even wonder why they two want to get involved in a movie like this.. As I remember, there's no scenes that made me laugh out loud, maybe just a little smile but that's all.. Truly a disappointing movie..
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

September 19, 2010
You'll find a high number of things in this film, that can be considered weak points and misfires. One is the writing, which is so dumb and lazy that it utterly dishonors the original work by Jonathan Swift. Secondly, it's not very funny. Jack Black makes things endurable with his usual routine and mannerisms, but it's hard for him to shine when he's got so little to work with. In the larger scale of things though, the movie isn't the stinkfest I thought it'd be. Granted that it represents all the things that are wrong with Hollywood today, but entertainment-wise (which is always the main factor I base my rating on), it's not half-bad. I've seen a lot better films with Black, but I've also seen a lot worse like Year One. As long as you can handle its stupidity and lack of originality, it's got enough amusing moments to be worth your while. Most likely though, you'll find yourself disappointed.
3niR
3niR

March 16, 2011
Wearing doll's cloth was the only scene that made me laugh. But other than that, this movie was terrible. Obviously the story wasn't new or anything and I hate Jack Black. Every time I give him chance to impress me, he fails. Why does he try so hard to be funny? Not like he always do shit movies (like this) but I think he should change this wanna-be-rock-roll character.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 27, 2010
It was funny at times and it was nice to watch but most of time was boring and predetermine of what was gonna happen. Happy Ending.

A lot of Jack Black goes a very little way in this tiresome adap of Jonathan Swift's satire, here retooled as an oafish 3D vehicle for its lead, who's on obnoxious form here.

The postmodern twist is this year's Lemuel Gulliver is a spineless mail-room employee at a New York tabloid too shy to pursue either career advancement or the affections of comely travel editor Darcy (Amanda Peet).

Landing a writing assignment in the Bermuda Triangle (don't ask), our hero is instantly transported via CGI storm to the miniature kingdom of Lilliput, a world of midgets who strap him down and imprison him in a cave.

He wins them over by Lilli-putting out a fire with the nearest fluid to hand - a coarse set-piece that sees king Billy Connolly, obsequious courtier James Corden and two-faced general Chris O'Dowd pissed on, quite literally, from a very great height.

Where can Rob Letterman's Gulliver travel from here? Ever downwards alas, the story reaching its nadir in a giant cinema where Black entertains himself watching live-action recreations of popular Fox hits.

The Murdoch brand is pretty much omnipresent here, an elaborate recreation of Times Square built for Gulliver's amusement even sporting mock-posters of other Century titles (X-Men, 'Gavatar' and so on).

There is surely something askew in a Travels where Jack Bauer earns a mention but Swift doesn't get a credit.

Oh, and we haven't even mentioned the scene where a Cyrano-like Lemuel exhorts tiny chum Jason Segel to woo Emily Blunt's stuck-up princess using lyrics from Prince's 'Kiss'.

The solitary saving grace is a surreal, Brobdingnagian interlude in another alt-land where Black becomes the dress-wearing toy of a gargantuan little girl.

But by the time he is leading the Lilliputians in a chorus of Edwin Starr's 'War', you can't help thinking the hapless soldier last seen disappearing up his butt crack 20 minutes in got off lightly.