Guzaarish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Guzaarish Reviews

December 5, 2010
An official remake of 'Whose Life Is It Anyway?', Guzaarish had an enormous scope of making the concept of euthanasia more known in this sub-continent than what it did. Despite having two superstars, the movie failed to satisfy me. The acting by both the protagonists (Hrithik Roshan & Aishwarya Rai) was too weak. Someone told me about this before I watched the movie, but I didn't believe him because its director is Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Unfortunately, what he told me turned out to be true. Specifically, Hrithik's portrayal of Ethan was too bad. His expressions were so lame that you don't care what happens to his character. You don't feel any sorrow/mercy for his pains & suffering. Besides bad performances, the script & screenplay too sucked. The film hardly had any interesting moment. I don't know how great an idea was to insert a song within every 10-15 minutes (approx.) interval, no matter how long or short they were. What should have consisted more of soul than substance was amateurishly reversed. And the substance wasn't so satisfying either. I felt as if the magical performances were made to look attractive by glittering the screen instead of going for better special effects. For most of the magic performances, the focus of the cameras would be taken too far from the respective characters. And of course, the cinematography was par excellence in those sequences.

If you intend to watch a movie with this kind of mood, my humble opinion would be to skip this one and instead go for 'Mar Adentro' or 'The Diving Bell & The Butterfly' (among others). They are far better than this avoidable movie. So the ball is in your court now; decide for yourself. Hope you'll take a wise decision.
February 13, 2011
A memorable movie that follows the daily emotional, and mental, anguishes of a quadriplegic dealing with the deterioration of his internal organs. With the love of his mother, he inspired to strive above all else, just by being content that he survived an awful accident ten years before. Now, after several years, the state of his body is declining and Ethan is no longer feeling the contentment of being alive, or of being free from all restraints (physical or otherwise). He seeks the assistance of his best friend, Devyani, to petition the courts for the rights of euthanasia. Due to cultural beliefs, he is denied that individual basic right. With the love of friends and his beloved Sofia, he continues to battle the struggles.
Directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali (whom once again excels in a highly compelling film). Brilliant portrayal of a character that is dealing with not only moral, and social, issues and aspects, but is dealing with a human being's right to his own free choices, and own will power. Powerful story plot that follows with an array of amazing character performances. Hrithik Roshan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Shernaz Patel, Suhel Seth, Aditya Roy Kapoor, and Nafisa Ali. Definitely worthy!

"Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love deeply. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile." ~Ethan Mascarenhas
November 19, 2010
If I were to pick any one reason to watch Guzaarish, it would be Hrithik Roshan. I think he has delivered his career best performance here, getting rid of the Koi Mil Gaya-ish dumbo look on most occasions. Aishwarya also did a great job. Newcomer Aditya Kapoor is a natural. Story-wise there isn't much to talk of, unfortunately and that is the film's prime weakness. I could not sympathise with the request for euthanasia, and the subsequent court scene is melodramatic and an insult to good legal dramas. There are some good moments in the narration and the magic sequences are brilliantly done. Other factors essentially remain typical SLB style: grand sets, exquisite lighting, loud music, imaginative camera works et al. Again, go for it if you wanna see Hrithik in his best avatar yet, curiously that of a paraplegic. Of course, the Natya Shastra says to express yourself the help of body is not required :)
February 16, 2011
Wonderful, beautiful movie. A man lived life to the fullest, even after a paralyzing accident. When he wanted to end his life and suffering, the state would not comply. He enlisted his friends to help him live the rest of his days and to die in dignity. He even fell in love with his nurse. Hard movie to explain, just very good a must see.
August 21, 2013
An unconventional movie by bollywood standards,it has memorable acts by the cast.
April 24, 2014
I admit I may have imbibed in some blubbering on atleast one occasion!
October 23, 2013
This Film Not Mgice on stage only but magic on the idea
The Meaning of death not only bad mean sometimes The death being the only way to escap of Death ( bad mean )
January 27, 2013
It was beautiful, stunning, and moving. As a Bollywood movie it will surprise you. It's a bit slow, and some of the lines could be improved, but I believe that those of us who know a bit about the Indian culture will greatly appreciate this fantastic movie.
September 28, 2012
everything is overblown, loud,melodramatic, high-pitched,addiction to unnecessary grandeur.... for god's sake this is a movie about a serious subject..
beauty is not a compensation for acting wake up...
July 10, 2012
It's a beautiful movie with a touching story, but is a depressing movie, as it's all about death. Again, a touching story, but not very appealing to the general hindi audience. Great performances by all the actors. This film was obviously meant for the awards, not the general audience.
June 16, 2012
Hrithik is undoubtedly one of the greatest Actors of India!
March 12, 2012
Well it's certainly the best Bollywood movie this year .. (i am yet to see Udaan . so my opinion may change :P). The movie is all about Ethan Mascarenhas and his plea for death and all the problems he has to face for his so-called absurd "Guzaarish" . Ethan was a famed magician and he became paraplegic after an accident in his act, which later found out to be a sabotage. The movie also has a subplot of the love-story between Ethan and his nurse , Sophia, who served him for 12 years.

The movie truly belongs to Hrithik Roshan as per performance, he is in one word superb, specially in first scene where he, as Ethan, replied to his lawyer friend "sex and a beautiful woman" on being asked whether he want anything else? , he has touch of Jack Nicholson in that expression. Aishwarya was good too, and in the courtroom scene, where she burst before the judge, she was marvellous . And all those small characters played by, Aditya Roy Kapoor, Suhel Seth, Nafisa Ali, etc blends into the movie perfectly . The only thing i didn't like is , Bhansali didn't show all the secrets of Ethan's tricks .. although it can said that the movie is more a story about a paraplegic man than a magician and his tricks (like Prestige) .

Other than performances , The Direction of SLB steals the show . Thanks to awesome Art direction, the movie is a Visual treat to. SLB brings out the old Goa and the whole feel quite well.
½ March 2, 2012
typical bhansali but it gets cheesy after d interval.......but a dedicated performance from the cast
October 3, 2011
Talk about a depressing movie! Have you ever been so fucking sad that you wanted to cry, but the tears would not fall? If not, you'll have that happen to you while watching this! The last ten or so minutes is when you will be giving your worst ugly cry, I guarantee. His flash backs are stunning, but pull on your heart strings at the same time. Before I started this I was thinking about how Cris Angel should watch this movie because not only would it knock some scene into him, but inspire him in his own career. yeah, yeah. I know. Those two are completely different things, but if you are familiar with him, you will get what I'm trying to say. The only problem that I had with this was that they would be speaking in English and then half way through a sentence, they would be speaking in Hindi. The subtitles would sometimes be different in English that what they where saying, too. It was very confusing at first, but I got used to it about half way through.
½ September 30, 2011
Deliberate inclusion of English Songs, deliberate inclusion of coats and suits everywhere (almost everyone wears suits and coats all the times!!!), deliberate inclusion of black, dark and plain dresses everywhere, deliberate inclusion of western styles, architecture and design everywhere, deliberate inclusion of making the actor as christian and inclusion of Christianity, deliberate avoidance of bright color dresses that Indians wear usually, deliberate avoidance of Indian arts and architectural designs, deliberate inclusion lots of dialogs in English (They even speak in English with maid!!) what else? Sanjay Leela Bhansali wanted to make the film as much westernize as possible. Does he wanted get applause from western media and western film critics? All the deliberate inclusion makes the film totally unrealistic. Non-Indian may not feel this, but as a Indian I see and feel all unnecessary deliberate inclusions. The screenplay is also not good, simply a flat story. The cinematography and art direction looks very good but its doesn't look realistic with all deliberate fake inclusions. I don't like this movie at all.
½ July 17, 2011
Over rated by many bollywood critics, this movie has nothing to offer than Tudor Style Architecture, Victorian Costumes, English Culture like Feel (eventhough an Indian Movie), not even the songs are good.
Director Sanjay Leela Bansali had made a film called 'Black' once.
Since then he seems to be less concerning about his work.
½ July 7, 2011
Absolutely Beautiful Film and performance by Hrithik Roshan. Each part of the movie carefully displays his emotional, mental and physical state as he goes from World class magician to a Quadriplegic with with and humor that makes everyone happy around him, even though he is sad deep down inside wanting liberation thru Euthanasia. Even though wheelchair bound, Hrithik brings out the depth of the character thru his voice and emotive eyes.
½ June 15, 2011
Visually stunning. Truly heartbreaking but profoundly moving.