Hairspray: Making Musicals Hot Again

Summary

Adam Shankman and star Nikki Blonsky of Hairspray (Certified Fresh, folks!) talk remaking John Waters' classic, what Dreamgirls and Chicago got wrong, how Shankman's come to terms with making The Pacifier, and why gay, chubby, or neither, Hairspray's for you. Back to Article

Comments

bmg615

Brett G

Hairspray came in third this weekend with $27.8 million, by far the most ever for a musical.

After its $11 million opening day, however, I was expecting much more. Being a family film, it was expected to make roughly three times its opening day over the whole weekend. Instead, it made about 2.5 times its opening day, low by most standards, though midnight screenings (there were a bunch in New York) may have inflated Friday's numbers. I guess there was a big rush to see this movie opening night by all of Zac Efron's teenage girl fans!

Still, $27.8 million is much higher than anyone had anticipated! Congrats!

I can't to see how much Burton and Depp's "Sweeney Todd" makes this December!

Jul 22 - 10:24 AM

South_park300

First Last

hairspray was the best movie i have seen this year, hands down. i hope it will have a little bit of staying power in the box office

Jul 22 - 01:27 PM

h-town24

frank ford

"Chicago" didn't upset anything. It was the Favorite.

Jul 22 - 01:27 PM

h-town24

frank ford

You are down right nuts if you think "Hairspray" is the best movie of the year! And you need to be put in a mental institution if you claim "best in years". The 10 best of the year are as follows.

1. Zodiac
2. Talk to Me
3. Paris, Je T'aime
4 Waitress
5 The Lookout
6 Away From Her
7 Grindhouse
8 Ratatouille
9 Once
10 Knocked Up

Jul 22 - 01:42 PM

h-town24

frank ford

Yeah, and Shankman sounds like an complete a$$hole!

Jul 22 - 01:48 PM

Producer360

Dennis Brown

$27 Million. You loose, everyone else WINS sucker! Musicals are here to stay.

Jul 22 - 06:33 PM

Producer360

Dennis Brown

Fags???? That's so 1970's. Come on out of the closet. Come on, you can run but you can't hide.

Jul 22 - 06:36 PM

Producer360

Dennis Brown

Sweeney Todd is next. Can't wait for Wicked. Oh yeah, if you don't like musicals then don't pay to go see them. Believe me, I don't waste my money on "whorror" movies.

Jul 22 - 06:39 PM

FourthWall

Paul Burgess

I'm still waiting for Pippin from Miramax.

Jul 22 - 06:58 PM

Product_of_You

Steven Edwards

I actually really liked The Producers.

Jul 22 - 09:20 PM

riddlegator

Chuck Nipper

He is exactly right about the problem with DREAMGIRLS... all of the numbers are stage performances for the first hour and then all of the sudden it tries to switch gears into full-blown musical numbers and the transition is awkward and poorly managed. Bill Condon should have announced from the beginning that this was GD musical--love it or leave it, instead of being embarrassed by trying to trick the audience into thinking it's something it's not. HAIRSPRAY is an unapologetic about being a musical, which is a prerequisite, but what makes it truly great are Marc Shaiman's terrific songs and Shankman's inventive choreography. Chicago, Dreamgirls, Producers, Rents, et. al... none of them compare to this giddy, energetic, infectiously entertaining classic which I have no doubt will be watched for generations to come...

Jul 22 - 10:02 PM

Paul Woo

Paul Woo

i think so
i like john

Jul 22 - 11:35 PM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, who ever thinks that Hairspray is a good movie has never seen a real movie in their entire life.

Jul 23 - 12:14 AM

pulgasari

Jeffrey Carey

I guess that means that 94% of the critics have never seen a "real" movie in their life.
Now I'm not saying I like Hairspray. I know it's a good movie, but it just isn't my... taste. You know how in the TV spot the announcer's all like, "Tired of Spiders? Sick of pirates? Can't stand Ogres? Then watch Hairspray!" Um, no. John Travolta in drag is far more terrifying than any spider, ogre, or pirate.

Jul 23 - 01:01 PM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

aknddon3 - you are probably the biggest troll on this forum. I swear, you have this magical ability to produce horse crap with just your fingers and a keyboard. Quite amazing really... one could charge people money to see you do this.

Jul 23 - 04:04 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

I may have comeoff a little harsh in my opening comments, but it's only 'cause i love movies with replay watchability and are grounded in reality enough to make me not suspend my disbelief too much. Musicals aren't that for me. At all. People breaking out into perfectly choreographed dance steps and songs is just rediculous and should be left to Bollywood.

But i'm a 21 year old straight college male. It'll be many years before i voluntarily watch a musical.

Jul 23 - 06:53 AM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Oh Jacog you are the troll little *****, now go be a loser and watch this gay movie.

Jul 23 - 11:43 AM

pulgasari

Jeffrey Carey

Jul 23 - 01:01 PM

riddlegator

Chuck Nipper

First of all, any guy who feels the need to stress how straight he is a closeted queen. And relax...liking a musical doesn't automatically make you gay--liking sodomy does.

Secondly, of course people bursting into song and intricately choreographed musical numbers is absurd...that's the point. One of the reasons we go to the movies and theatre is to have experiences that are impossible (or at least highly unlikely) in real life. Art can make the impossible possible and that can be a lot of fun to watch. There's a place for both realism and fantasy at the movies and musicals generally skew toward fantasy.

Anyway, good luck with coming to terms with your sexuality. All the best!

Jul 23 - 04:23 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

Well said.

And I like it when my gf fingers me.

And I'm not gay.

Jul 23 - 04:34 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

Well said.

And I like it when my gf fingers me.

And I'm not gay.

Jul 23 - 04:34 PM

connster9700

Connie S.

Bloody Mathias writes: "Musicals will never be an "it" genre in theaters again.
Hell, i'll be surprised if it makes over $25 mill this weekend and $75 mill domestic."

Ahem...Hairspray has been in the top 10 for the past 3 weeks now, is set to break the $100 million mark and become one of the most watched movie musicals in the past 30 years.

I think the RT rating was right on the money. This movie was a breath of fresh air to those of us who were getting a bit weary of the onslaught of action and CGI-driven flicks. I've seen the movie twice now and rank it among my all-time favorite movie musicals. It's delightfully entertaining!

And I think the climate is starting to shift a bit and becoming more open to the musical genre. For example, take the "High School Musical' mania that's hitting the tween and teen demographic this summer. To them, it's cool to sing and dance again.
All in all, I think th musical genre is on the upswing.

Aug 18 - 06:42 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast