Hairspray - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hairspray Reviews

Daniel Mumby
January 11, 2015
It's widely acknowledged that adapting a source from one medium to another may cause many of its most distinctive elements to get lost in translation. On the rare occasions that an attempt is made to re-adapt the adapation back to its first form, the results can be disastrous. This is the fate that befell The Producers, which started as a great Mel Brooks film, then became a very good stage show, and finally ended up a rubbish second film at the hands of first-time director Susan Stroman.

At first glance, Hairspray should be cause for concern since it follows the same troubled route. Cult director John Waters' 1988 film was a modest hit, which became a huge, award-winning hit on Broadway, which in turn has now produced this adaptation of the musical helmed by Adam Shankman. But despite the director's lack of pedigree, and less emphasis on politics than fans of the original may like, the end result is a perky, uplifting, thoroughly entertaining romp which makes the most of both its newcomers and established cast.

The first of many surprises with Hairspray is the fact that someone as bad as Shankman could have pulled it out of the bag. Shankman's directorial roster either side of this is, in the words of Mark Kermode, "a load of old poop", containing duds like Cheaper by the Dozen 2, The Pacifier and Rock of Ages. His background in choreography would lead us to predict another High Society, namely a musical where the director (whether Shankman or Charles Walters) is far too concerned with giving his actors enough room to dance to worry about the small matter of capturing emotion.

A more illuminating comparison, however, is with Jon M. Chu, who directed the second and third Step Up films around this time. The differences between the directors' projects seem obvious even at first glance, with the Step Up films lacking a period setting, political ambitions or sometims even a coherent storyline. But more crucially, Shankman understands that there is more going on in a musical number than just the song or dance - and on a wider level, that a musical film has to be more than just a series of said numbers. While Chu's films are at their most basic a series of disconnected music videos, Shankman manages to keep his eye on the story even when things are at their most visually flamboyant.

For a story about civil rights and the marginalisation of the Black community in America, Hairspray is surprisingly, perhaps even refreshingly, shiny and light. The original was one of Waters' more mainstream efforts, garnering a PG rating where his previous work had been X-rated almost by default. But even given its Broadway background, where big emotions and melodramatic storytelling run riot, it is striking to find a mainstream musical this willing to enjoy itself. Certainly the campy spirit of the original prevents us from accusing the remake of 'lightening down' the premise or message.

When I reviewed High Society three years ago, I said that its biggest problem was a lack of subtext to which the central relationships could be anchored. I said that "when you have a cast of so many famous faces, we need something to believe that we aren't just watching a lot of stars enjoying themselves with no regard for the plot." For all the charm of seeing Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra together, or the historical significance of Grace Kelly's last performance, the film lacked the substance and narrative discipline of The Philadelphia Story nearly two decades before it.

It's fair to say that neither Hairspray film is going to meet your expectations if you come looking for the likes of Selma and 12 Years A Slave. Both versions are films which wear their hearts on their sleeves; they don't tease out their message through composition and clever dialogue, they flaunt it on the back of big facial expressions and catchy music. The campiness of the original is exchanged here for the wide-eyed, earnest yet carefully rehearsed optimism of Broadway. In each case, the subtext is there if you want to go looking for it, but it's presented in an entrist, accessible way for its target audience, and never feels the need to talk down to them just to make a point.

The question that immediately follows from this is whether a remake was entirely necessary. Despite being acclaimed at the time, the original Hairspray isn't as widely known as perhaps it should be; certainly it's no less. campy in some respects than The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This remake is very faithful to the original in several key respects, and it's unclear how much people it will draw to the original by virtue of its existence. But it also manages to justify itself as a musical in its own right, with memorable characters, well-written songs and some good performances.

Whether to appease fans of the original or simply out of love of Waters' film, Shankman goes out of his way to include references to the original. Ricki Lake, whose career was launched by Waters, has a cameo appearance as one of the talent agents, while Waters himself gets a very brief cameo as a flasher in 'Good Morning Baltimore'. On top of the original film and Broadway cast turning up in reasonable quantities, many of the new faces seem to have been cast partly to resemble the old ones, with Michelle Pfeiffer's hairstyle and cheekbones echoing those of Debbie Harry and John Travolta carrying on the drag tradition embodied by Divine in his final film role.

In any other circumstances, this abundance of winking at the audience would either become overbearing, like the many cameos in John Landis' films, or prevent this version of Hairspray from standing on its own. But Shankman pulls it off, positioning the old faces so that the fans will appreciate them but not so that they derail the plot by self-consciously sticking out. Even with the physical resemblance, Pfeiffer still has the natural charisma to make the part her own, delivering lines about "screwing the judges" with acid aplomb.

Much has been made about Travolta's appearance in the film - an appearance which required him to spent four hours in make-up each day to apply silicone prosthetics to his head and neck, along with foam on his legs and arms, and a spandex and foam body suit. Having turned in so many lazy performances over his long and frustrating career, it's refreshing to see him throw himself into a role without any ego or self-consciousness. And while he's not as immediately charismatic or funny as Divine, neither is he creepy or unnerving. Ultimately it's not his film anyway, so you can enjoy it even if his performance rubs you up the wrong way.

This brings us on to the musical numbers in Hairspray, which are generally really good. Many musicals derived from films throw in a bunch of songs where they were never going to be useful or necessary, simply because songs are needed for it to be a musical. But Hairspray justifies its numbers very well, partly through their congruency to the background music of the period, and partly by the performers delivering them. One of the old-school highlights sees Travolta and Christopher Walken convincingly duetting on '(You're) Timeless to Me', while the climactic 'You Can't Stop The Beat' is completely irresistible.

There are a couple of drawbacks with the new Hairspray which prevent it from being a knock-out success. It is nearly half an hour longer than Waters' version, and at certain points this really shows, with scenes such as those with the different groups of children noticeably dragging out. Shankman's hardly the most disciplined director around, and his editor Janice Hampton keeps the pace of the film at the same steady tempo throughout, when really we should feel it gathering speed as it builds towards its climax. Having a much higher budget than Waters enjoyed, it's an example of how having more resources isn't always a good thing.

The other big niggle with Hairspray is its earnestness. The campiness of the original meant that it could be appreciated both with a straight face and ironically, something which isn't an option with this version. While Broadway and musical fans will be used to the style and approach to charactersation, the film's lack of any edge or hard underbelly could prove alienating. If you struggled to get through the later Step Ups, late alone the High School Musical series, this will be a difficult watch for you.

Hairspray is a highly enjoyable, light-hearted romp which, unlike many remakes, justifies its existence to a very large extent. Its main performances are enjoyable, its songs are well-written and nicely executed, the visuals are bright and perky, and despite its occasional bagginess it holds together really quite nicely. Purists and Waters fans may still clamour for the original, whether for its politics or its camp value, but for anyone just in search of a good time, this is an ideal selection.
August 3, 2007
Brilliant cast and music. Story about a girl called Tracy who wants to be a dancer on her favourite TV show the Corny Collins Show. Corny is played by James Marsden, who is very cute. It has serious moments when it touchs on the social divisions between races in the 1960s. It takes a little while to get used to John Travolta in character. Link (Zac Efron) is very handsome. Great songs. Look out for a cameo by Ricki Lake (talent scout).
November 11, 2012
Hairspray really didn't do it for me whatsoever. I felt that this movie was quite overrated and it really wasn't as good as what many critics have said it to be. I was just bored with this film, and I felt it could have been much better and it really didn't have anything memorable. As a musical, this film doesn't do anything refreshing or original and it fails to really entertain like other classic musicals. There is nothing going on here to make this a fun, entertaining ride from start to finish, and I was let down by this film. I really wanted to enjoy this film, but I simply didn't get into it. Acting wise, I felt many actors misses the mark, and overdid it. John Travolta being one of them. This film relied on an over the top script that tried to do too much with its ideas for a plot. This could have worked, but the director doesn't deliver, and Adam Shankman is a bad director who never has made anything worth watching. His direction is sloppy, and he tries to do far too much with the film's plot, and he ends up delivering a film that is cheesy and pitiful and doesn't deliver. Even the great Christopher Walken is wasted here. Hairspray is a pointless film that could have been so much better than what it turned out to be. I really didn't like the film, and felt it missed the mark. This film disappointed me, and I was more annoyed most of the time. This film is more for a teen audience looking for laughs, and I can see the appeal, but as for me I didn't like it, and for me the ultimate musical is The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
July 6, 2008
I love musicals and to see Zac Efron in one again made this film for me. Outstanding! I wanted to dance and sing a long to all the songs and it shows such a positive message. A must see!
½ July 17, 2007
John Travolta in drag and a humongous 60's hair-do? Okay, now I've seen everything. A colorful and vibrant cinemusical, full of energy and pure joy. The satirical tone gave it some extra bite, and there wasn't a song or musical number that I wasn't entertained by. Some I even loved. A guilty pleasure no doubt, but one I'm really happy that I saw.
½ March 5, 2011
Will be remembered forever by music lovers. It was hilarious and really well done. This movie had great acting, great story, and some of the catchiest songs I can think of, I love the movie. One of the musicals of the 21st Century.
January 12, 2011
Owing more of a debt to the Broadway musical than the original 1988, this, the 2007 version, is a fun and spirited musical filled with tons of heart, soul, and the great message of racial integration. I like musicals, I do. I mostly prefer ones from an older era (the Rodgers and Hammerstein cycle) or something that just fits my more modern tastes (Sweeney Todd), but I really enjoyed this one.

Some of the changes made from the screen to the stage to the screen were a bit disappointing (no beatniks, et al), but that's not a complete dealbreaker. The song and dance numbers make up for it. Like the original, the casting is quite notable, except there's only one real obvious bit of stunt casting. That's little bit is actually pretty crucial though. From the beginning it's been a tradition to have a man in drag play Edna. I'm cool with that, and, while John Travolta is a scream to watch in the role, it feels a little forced. Maybe it's because he's straight? He's not bad though, but it does seem a bit jarring.

Michelle Pfeiffer is great as the villainous Velma, Amanda Bynes shows off her trademark spunk with flair (and awesome hair to boot), Queen Latifah is probably the only person who could play Motormouth Maybelle so wonderfully (in this day and age), but for me (and many, I'm sure), the real shining star here is Nikki Blonksy. She's wonderful here in a breakout performance as the pleasant plump Tracy Turnblad who has huge hair, loves to dance, and becomes a champion for integration. I know she's done a bit more work since this film, but she deserves even more.

This is a really fun movie, and, while it isn't quite as campy as the original film, it's still just an absolute joy to watch. One moment that really made me laugh out loud is the Mrs. Pingleton (Allison Janney) reaction shot to the conclusion of the Penny/Seaweed story line. It's frickin' priceless.

This probably wasn't the most necessary film in the world, but, like I said, the music and dancing are well done, and it might be a little more accessible for audiences who can't groove on the trademark Waters campiness.
January 23, 2011
I wanted to hate this so much. But I loved every bit of it. It's a wonderful movie and musical. I really recommend it to every movie goer.

Grade: A
August 22, 2010
I actually really love this movie! Great music, and an even greater cast. Although I'm certain this film does no justice to the broadway musical, it's a good film by itself. Amanda Bynes is brilliant!
June 24, 2010
June 21, 2007
Awesome music, dancing, and underlying depth. This was a 5-star, but after watching it three years later out of the theatre, I've noticed some problems - awkward time editing, awkward song editing from the original show.
September 4, 2007
i actually really loved this movie!!
its one of my favourite musicles ive seen, its funny and so entertaining with really catchy songs as well!
im still in shock at how and why john travolta is playing the mum lol :)
it is completelly worth the watch as it really is likely to cheer you up!
it also covers some of the most controversal debate of that year and i think this movie portrays it very well!1
really worth a watch!
January 18, 2010
I give this movie props for doing something new, but I've never really was a big fan of musicals!
August 1, 2009
very fun
July 21, 2007
Hairspray has many characters, and each one's characteristics are perfectly shown through happy lines and excellent music. Every images put a smile on your face and the atmosphere makes you want to stand up and dance. Hairspray made me believe for two hours that everything was possible.
I didn't really knew Shankman's work until now, but I think he did a great job (for direction and choregraphies) and that we owe him a lot for what the new version of Hairspray is.

I haven't enjoyed myself like this with a movie this year.
June 11, 2007
Loved It!
February 9, 2008
I wonder how tired these actors must have been, It seems as if they had their month's worth of working out after one day of shooting. But the movie itself is upbeat, fun, well-choreographed, and it touches on important themes, so it's not just a brainless guilty pleasure.
June 1, 2007
Directed by: Adam Shankman.
Starring: John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Nikki Blonsky.

<< "I think I've kind of been in a bubble...thinking that fairness was gonna just happen. It's not. People like me are gonna have to get up off their fathers' laps and go out and fight for it." >>

This review will not compare to the original Hairspray, as I have not seen it.

I honestly didn't know what to expect, I had heard many excellent reviews and I thought it would be more along the lines of Dreamgirls where it is no story and all glamor...its much more then that.

Adam Shankman has created an really great piece of entertainment...the director of the atrocious 'The Pacifier', I never saw it coming, he has just shown he is worth something when he is in his comfort zone. He choreographed each dance sequence professionally and injected his direction with a whole lot of fun. The pacing is fast, exhilarating and full of life and when the entire production gets behind him and has fun too, he has certainly impressed me and critics.

The screenplay by Leslie Dixon is really great, with some amazing songs written by Marc Shaiman, I'll admit that it is light fluffy material overall, but there is a real topic underneath it all that they tackle. As it is also a great throwback to the 60's and full of so much life, the controversial topic of race and discrimination is covered without offending anyone nor becoming to controversial...and although this has been done many times before, it is handled right here and it shows us that we are not different because of of our skin color, or even our size, it hands us this nicely without force.

The acting ensemble is large and full of large talent and performances, John Travolta tackles a difficult role and does so brilliantly and with great style and control, he proves he still has it when he is in the right role. I could go on with the amazing cast (especially the young cast who outshine the adults) but the one I want to mention is newcomer, Nikki Blonsky, who shows great attitude and flair in her first role.

Amazing set design, brilliant costume designs, exhilarating dance sequences, I could go on, but to finish up, the film surprised me. Exhilarating, hilarious, sharp, witty, fast-paced, dazzling...its so much fun, it keeps in mind everything a summer film should be, to entertain and have fun while your doing it. My theater clapped and I can see why.

<< "Child, yesterday is history, and it's never coming back! Cause tomorrow is a brand new day, and it don't know white from black! Cause the world keeps spinnin' round and round, and my heart's keepin' time to the speed of sound...I was lost till I heard the drums and I found my way, cause you can't stop the beat!" >>
January 23, 2008
Surprisingly good, I imagined a poor Grease but recieved a fun but serious film on racism in '50s America.
July 18, 2007
Case in point: (Continuing from my review of Killer of Sheep) this piece of shit. Here's the thing, I get it, musicals are just not a genre that I like and that's the first problem because once the chick opened her mouth singing praises to Baltimore I tuned out and really should have left the room. But, I stayed, and found out that at the heart of this movie is about racism. But instead of actually doing anything or saying anything about actual racism, we decide to dream about that one day in Hollywood Heaven where everybody just says fuck war, racism, and everything other fucked up thing and just dances. What amazes me the most is the fact that the black actors involved don't look at each other and go: "Hey, don't you guys think these stereotypes are kind of racist?" And that's when the producer hands them a big fat check and says, "Oh, no, the director is gay and Jewish, so he can't be racist." The only real part was Michelle PFeiffer (how the fuck is she still so hot?) and a sad Christopher Walken who I swear has Alzeimer's and picks his scripts by the ones he wipes his ass with.