Hairspray Reviews

thmtsang
August 3, 2007
Brilliant cast and music. Story about a girl called Tracy who wants to be a dancer on her favourite TV show the Corny Collins Show. Corny is played by James Marsden, who is very cute. It has serious moments when it touchs on the social divisions between races in the 1960s. It takes a little while to get used to John Travolta in character. Link (Zac Efron) is very handsome. Great songs. Look out for a cameo by Ricki Lake (talent scout).
TheDudeLebowski65
November 11, 2012
Hairspray really didn't do it for me whatsoever. I felt that this movie was quite overrated and it really wasn't as good as what many critics have said it to be. I was just bored with this film, and I felt it could have been much better and it really didn't have anything memorable. As a musical, this film doesn't do anything refreshing or original and it fails to really entertain like other classic musicals. There is nothing going on here to make this a fun, entertaining ride from start to finish, and I was let down by this film. I really wanted to enjoy this film, but I simply didn't get into it. Acting wise, I felt many actors misses the mark, and overdid it. John Travolta being one of them. This film relied on an over the top script that tried to do too much with its ideas for a plot. This could have worked, but the director doesn't deliver, and Adam Shankman is a bad director who never has made anything worth watching. His direction is sloppy, and he tries to do far too much with the film's plot, and he ends up delivering a film that is cheesy and pitiful and doesn't deliver. Even the great Christopher Walken is wasted here. Hairspray is a pointless film that could have been so much better than what it turned out to be. I really didn't like the film, and felt it missed the mark. This film disappointed me, and I was more annoyed most of the time. This film is more for a teen audience looking for laughs, and I can see the appeal, but as for me I didn't like it, and for me the ultimate musical is The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
murphmann93
July 6, 2008
I love musicals and to see Zac Efron in one again made this film for me. Outstanding! I wanted to dance and sing a long to all the songs and it shows such a positive message. A must see!
CloudStrife84
½ July 17, 2007
John Travolta in drag and a humongous 60's hair-do? Okay, now I've seen everything. A colorful and vibrant cinemusical, full of energy and pure joy. The satirical tone gave it some extra bite, and there wasn't a song or musical number that I wasn't entertained by. Some I even loved. A guilty pleasure no doubt, but one I'm really happy that I saw.
DreamExtractor
½ March 5, 2011
Will be remembered forever by music lovers. It was hilarious and really well done. This movie had great acting, great story, and some of the catchiest songs I can think of, I love the movie. One of the musicals of the 21st Century.
cosmo313
January 12, 2011
Owing more of a debt to the Broadway musical than the original 1988, this, the 2007 version, is a fun and spirited musical filled with tons of heart, soul, and the great message of racial integration. I like musicals, I do. I mostly prefer ones from an older era (the Rodgers and Hammerstein cycle) or something that just fits my more modern tastes (Sweeney Todd), but I really enjoyed this one.

Some of the changes made from the screen to the stage to the screen were a bit disappointing (no beatniks, et al), but that's not a complete dealbreaker. The song and dance numbers make up for it. Like the original, the casting is quite notable, except there's only one real obvious bit of stunt casting. That's little bit is actually pretty crucial though. From the beginning it's been a tradition to have a man in drag play Edna. I'm cool with that, and, while John Travolta is a scream to watch in the role, it feels a little forced. Maybe it's because he's straight? He's not bad though, but it does seem a bit jarring.

Michelle Pfeiffer is great as the villainous Velma, Amanda Bynes shows off her trademark spunk with flair (and awesome hair to boot), Queen Latifah is probably the only person who could play Motormouth Maybelle so wonderfully (in this day and age), but for me (and many, I'm sure), the real shining star here is Nikki Blonksy. She's wonderful here in a breakout performance as the pleasant plump Tracy Turnblad who has huge hair, loves to dance, and becomes a champion for integration. I know she's done a bit more work since this film, but she deserves even more.

This is a really fun movie, and, while it isn't quite as campy as the original film, it's still just an absolute joy to watch. One moment that really made me laugh out loud is the Mrs. Pingleton (Allison Janney) reaction shot to the conclusion of the Penny/Seaweed story line. It's frickin' priceless.

This probably wasn't the most necessary film in the world, but, like I said, the music and dancing are well done, and it might be a little more accessible for audiences who can't groove on the trademark Waters campiness.
January 23, 2011
I wanted to hate this so much. But I loved every bit of it. It's a wonderful movie and musical. I really recommend it to every movie goer.

Grade: A
jamers2011
August 22, 2010
I actually really love this movie! Great music, and an even greater cast. Although I'm certain this film does no justice to the broadway musical, it's a good film by itself. Amanda Bynes is brilliant!
June 24, 2010
B-
June 21, 2007
Awesome music, dancing, and underlying depth. This was a 5-star, but after watching it three years later out of the theatre, I've noticed some problems - awkward time editing, awkward song editing from the original show.
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
i actually really loved this movie!!
its one of my favourite musicles ive seen, its funny and so entertaining with really catchy songs as well!
im still in shock at how and why john travolta is playing the mum lol :)
it is completelly worth the watch as it really is likely to cheer you up!
it also covers some of the most controversal debate of that year and i think this movie portrays it very well!1
really worth a watch!
January 18, 2010
I give this movie props for doing something new, but I've never really was a big fan of musicals!
TomBowler
August 1, 2009
very fun
July 21, 2007
Hairspray has many characters, and each one's characteristics are perfectly shown through happy lines and excellent music. Every images put a smile on your face and the atmosphere makes you want to stand up and dance. Hairspray made me believe for two hours that everything was possible.
I didn't really knew Shankman's work until now, but I think he did a great job (for direction and choregraphies) and that we owe him a lot for what the new version of Hairspray is.

I haven't enjoyed myself like this with a movie this year.
June 11, 2007
Loved It!
February 9, 2008
I wonder how tired these actors must have been, It seems as if they had their month's worth of working out after one day of shooting. But the movie itself is upbeat, fun, well-choreographed, and it touches on important themes, so it's not just a brainless guilty pleasure.
SilentWarProductions2009
June 1, 2007
Directed by: Adam Shankman.
Starring: John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Nikki Blonsky.

<< "I think I've kind of been in a bubble...thinking that fairness was gonna just happen. It's not. People like me are gonna have to get up off their fathers' laps and go out and fight for it." >>

This review will not compare to the original Hairspray, as I have not seen it.

I honestly didn't know what to expect, I had heard many excellent reviews and I thought it would be more along the lines of Dreamgirls where it is no story and all glamor...its much more then that.

Adam Shankman has created an really great piece of entertainment...the director of the atrocious 'The Pacifier', I never saw it coming, he has just shown he is worth something when he is in his comfort zone. He choreographed each dance sequence professionally and injected his direction with a whole lot of fun. The pacing is fast, exhilarating and full of life and when the entire production gets behind him and has fun too, he has certainly impressed me and critics.

The screenplay by Leslie Dixon is really great, with some amazing songs written by Marc Shaiman, I'll admit that it is light fluffy material overall, but there is a real topic underneath it all that they tackle. As it is also a great throwback to the 60's and full of so much life, the controversial topic of race and discrimination is covered without offending anyone nor becoming to controversial...and although this has been done many times before, it is handled right here and it shows us that we are not different because of of our skin color, or even our size, it hands us this nicely without force.

The acting ensemble is large and full of large talent and performances, John Travolta tackles a difficult role and does so brilliantly and with great style and control, he proves he still has it when he is in the right role. I could go on with the amazing cast (especially the young cast who outshine the adults) but the one I want to mention is newcomer, Nikki Blonsky, who shows great attitude and flair in her first role.

Amazing set design, brilliant costume designs, exhilarating dance sequences, I could go on, but to finish up, the film surprised me. Exhilarating, hilarious, sharp, witty, fast-paced, dazzling...its so much fun, it keeps in mind everything a summer film should be, to entertain and have fun while your doing it. My theater clapped and I can see why.

82/100

<< "Child, yesterday is history, and it's never coming back! Cause tomorrow is a brand new day, and it don't know white from black! Cause the world keeps spinnin' round and round, and my heart's keepin' time to the speed of sound...I was lost till I heard the drums and I found my way, cause you can't stop the beat!" >>
January 23, 2008
Surprisingly good, I imagined a poor Grease but recieved a fun but serious film on racism in '50s America.
July 18, 2007
Case in point: (Continuing from my review of Killer of Sheep) this piece of shit. Here's the thing, I get it, musicals are just not a genre that I like and that's the first problem because once the chick opened her mouth singing praises to Baltimore I tuned out and really should have left the room. But, I stayed, and found out that at the heart of this movie is about racism. But instead of actually doing anything or saying anything about actual racism, we decide to dream about that one day in Hollywood Heaven where everybody just says fuck war, racism, and everything other fucked up thing and just dances. What amazes me the most is the fact that the black actors involved don't look at each other and go: "Hey, don't you guys think these stereotypes are kind of racist?" And that's when the producer hands them a big fat check and says, "Oh, no, the director is gay and Jewish, so he can't be racist." The only real part was Michelle PFeiffer (how the fuck is she still so hot?) and a sad Christopher Walken who I swear has Alzeimer's and picks his scripts by the ones he wipes his ass with.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
July 24, 2007
"Who's who behind the do?"

Adam Shankman's adaptation of the stage musical Hairspray, itself an adaptation of the non-musical John Waters film of the same name, stars Nikki Blonsky as Tracy Turnblad, an overweight high-school student whose only dream is to be on a local Baltimore teen dance program. While her father (Christopher Walken) tells her to follow her dreams, her mother Edna (John Travolta in drag) reminds her that she doesn't look like the girls on that show. After impressing the show's host (James Marsden), Tracy earns a coveted spot on the program, but when she becomes a popular addition to the cast, she earns the wrath of the prettiest girl in school -- a girl whose mother (Michelle Pfeiffer) just happens to operate the local television station. Tracy's visit to detention hall opens her eyes to the racial tension on the show, as does the budding relationship between her best friend (Amanda Bynes) and an African-American boy named Seaweed (Elijah Kelley). Thus empowered, Tracy attempts to integrate the races on her favorite program.

Review
Oh, how I hate musicals. People bursting into song and dancing on tables for no apparent reason. Hairspray is a musical with people bursting into song and dancing on tables. Ergo, I should hate this movie.

But I didn't. I though it was very charming and entertaining. Above all I have to "blame" Nikki Blonsky for tricking me into enjoying a musical. She's very talented and just a bundle of energy. But I have to say that the cast overall was extremely good. So what if some of them can't sing. They deliver with such energy that it's just impossible not to like this movie. The ones in the cast who really stood out for me (except for Blonsky) were Michelle Pfeiffer (deliciously evil) and James Marsden (he was born to play this part). I was pleasantly surprised.