Critics Consensus: Hall Pass Flunks

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got midlife crises (Hall Pass, starring Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis) and automotive vengeance (Drive Angry, starring Nicolas Cage and Amber Heard). What do the critics have to say? In the past, the Farrelly brothers' deft mix of raunch and heart made for a potent comedic combination. However, with their latest, Hall Pass, critics say the brothers' aim is off; though the movie has some very funny moments, it's bogged down by a little too much gross stuff and a little too much sentimentality. With a title like Drive Angry, you pretty much know what to expect -- lots of action, and Nicolas Cage doing his unhinged thing, with subtlety and nuance left in the dust. Back to Article

Comments

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Figures. I got a free ticket to Drive Angry so...

Feb 24 - 06:08 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

No good flicks til next week! RANGO!!

Feb 24 - 06:10 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I sure hope it's good, but I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed.

Feb 24 - 08:57 PM

Yoni G.

Yoni Gottlieb

i don't mean this to offend you but why does everyone think Rango looks so good? (besides that it has Johnny depp in it and it is the director of Pirates of the carribean)

Feb 24 - 09:20 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

You have to admit it's a lot better than what we have been getting in the past 2 months. It would be nice to see a good movie come out for once and we're just biting our fingernails in anticipation.

Feb 24 - 10:19 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

I think it looks stupid. I dunno, just generic humor and story.

Feb 25 - 12:22 AM

Victor Alexander

victor alexander

Yeah, I had my hopes up for Rango since I saw the trailer last year...but these new trailers have been really meh. Very generic/uninspired jokes.

Feb 25 - 08:37 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I couldn't disagree more. Until recently, I had no idea that Rango was directed by Gore Verbinski or is (I think) the first fully animated film by ILM. Even before I found that out, I was impressed with the look of this movie. It's different, it's skewed, and weird. Definitely not the usual talking animals flick that we often get from the likes of Dreamworks. Barring terrible reviews, I'll be there opening weekend.

Feb 25 - 09:08 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

I still haven't forgiven Gore for the last 2 Pirates of the Carribean movies. It really shows that the first one was just a fluke but a treasure nontheless

Feb 25 - 07:03 PM

Yoni G.

Yoni Gottlieb

I want to see drive angry, but it probably won't be this weekend. Im planning on seeing some of the oscar nominees that i have missed (fighter, black swan) or unknown, even thought the reviews were mediocre(if you think about it, the reviews for Taken were around the same, and Taken was a great movie, so i have high hopes for unknown)

Feb 24 - 09:22 PM

Sean Y.

Sean Y.

Better reviews for Drive Angry than I was honestly expecting. But I'm not old enough to see it yet. I'll pass on Hall Pass.

Feb 24 - 06:10 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

I was hoping that Hall Pass would be the fresh film that I would see, but nope. That means nothing until Battle: Los Angeles. I didn't see any movies in February

Feb 24 - 06:20 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as the reviews are saying. The only thing I didn't really like was all the gross out humor, but other than that I was laughing a good bit throughout.

Feb 24 - 09:40 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Well, I decided to go out on a limb and am seeing it tonight. I do have high expectations but I have low expectation so that I may be surprised by it. I did the same thing when I saw She's Out of My League. I hope for something decent man.

Feb 25 - 05:11 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Even the bad revues for Drive Angry make it sound good.

Feb 24 - 07:07 PM

rle4lunch

Chad W

agreed. it sounds like some goofy 70s schlock to me. probably kinda refreshing for Cage fans.

Feb 25 - 03:28 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Right. After Piranha, which was great, I can see Drive Angry being cut from the same cloth...a dirty, exploitive cloth.

Feb 25 - 06:52 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Definitely DVD Rental fare for sure

Feb 25 - 08:00 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

I am proud to say that I have not gone to the theatres once this year solely due to the lack of quality product.
And guess what? It feels great!

Feb 25 - 08:19 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

I saw that Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman flick, but that's all for the year. It had some funny lines, and wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did rent Piranha a few weeks ago, it was hilarious.

Feb 25 - 02:18 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

It was great 3D film lunch.

Not Avatar...but you probably got that from the DVD.

Great fun on the big screen.

Feb 26 - 12:20 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Thats a shame Clint. I for one thought seeing Tron in IMAX 3D was amazing.

Seeing it on DVD just isn't gonna do it.

Feb 26 - 07:46 AM

Cory

Cory B

If anyone was still in the Farrelly Brothers' corner as directors of a Three Stooges movie, their latest hack-tastic failure should seal the deal. Hall Pass didn't even have enough humorous gags to fill a 30-second TV spot. No surprise that it sucks.

As for Drive Angry... sounds like the cinematic equivalent of a really greasy bacon cheeseburger. Not good for you at all, but immensely enjoyable because of it. Or it might just be total trash. Either way, I plan on finding out soon.

Feb 24 - 07:19 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Ditto.

I'm going tonight.

Feb 25 - 06:53 AM

Cory

Cory B

I just saw it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Feb 25 - 02:54 PM

H. Guy

Josh Price

Did you see it in 3D Cory? Is it worth the extra price?

Feb 25 - 03:47 PM

Cory

Cory B

I wouldn't say the 3-D is bad, but it didn't feel important. They did do a good job of finding ways to use it, unlike other recent 3-D movies. *cough cough Green Hornet cough cough* Overall, I'd say the 3-D shouldn't influence you one way or the other. If you were interested in Drive Angry already, go see it. If not, don't bother.

Feb 25 - 09:03 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

My plans got changed so I didn't go last night Cory but today is another story.

Feb 26 - 07:47 AM

H. Guy

Josh Price

As long as the 3D wasn't distracting is fine by me(I have a free ticket up to $12). This was a must see since it was first announced.

Feb 26 - 10:50 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Saw it.

Amber Heard kicks ass...literally. Fichter is a scene stealer. Cage is....Cage.

3D was solid with some good scenes to showcase it. Should be fun without it though. Pure trash grindhouse fun.

Feb 26 - 07:09 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Hey, don't forget to text message like a little bitch during the whole movie.

Feb 25 - 06:59 PM

H. Guy

Josh Price

??

Feb 25 - 07:56 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Whats your point?

Feb 26 - 07:48 AM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

wow...and justin beibers NEVER SAY NEVER is STILL the best wide release so far this year :/

if Battle Los angelos OR Rango get bad reviews...THEY BETTER NOT!!

Feb 24 - 07:19 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

They won't. Have no fear.

Feb 24 - 09:00 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Drive Angry sounds like absolute trash... of course I'll see opening day!
Hall Pass just looks stupid.

Feb 24 - 07:36 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

How many movies about "whacky sex shenanigans" (typo in wacky intended) are there going to be? Does no one realize that the majority of them are not successful? Financially, maybe once in a while they are.
Oh, my, god. I've made a discovery! But nah. I'm silly. Movies aren't made solely for money! That would be funny though.
=/

Feb 24 - 07:51 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

That's exactly what I tell all detractors! I mean, we all know Michael Bay just loved the fucking toys.

:D

Feb 24 - 08:11 PM

louster200

Louie Wieseman

The Drive Angry sex scene ended up online and it was fucking hilarious. :D

Feb 24 - 07:51 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

:D

Feb 24 - 08:11 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

I never even heard of Hall Pass until about two weeks ago. No trailers, posters, or notable headlines at all. So obviously they weren't trying to hard with that one.

Maybe if Drive Angry gets a lot of positive feedback I'll see it through Netflix.

Otherwise I'm just counting the days until Rango, Battle: Los Angeles, and Thor.

Feb 24 - 08:43 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Why not see a film shot in 3D in 3D?

Feb 26 - 07:50 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

Or I could go see a good movie presented in any dimension.

Feb 27 - 06:44 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Everyone could have predicted this. These are without a doubt "bad movies" so you know I hate them.

Feb 24 - 08:55 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I sure hope it's good, but I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed.

Feb 24 - 08:57 PM

Dakota -Kapodaco- Gordon

Dakota Gordon

Despite the reviews, I still wanna see these 2 movies, but for the most part, February was not the film industry's greatest month.

Feb 24 - 08:57 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

They won't. Have no fear.

Feb 24 - 09:00 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

These movies about infantile men are out of control, and for me out of laughs. The premise can be fun if done right, especially when things stem from situations or misunderstandings that are plausible. But the latest batch is so lazy, featuring such a bunch of idiots...does anyone actually know people like this? I'm sorry if you do. And of course, they're always matched with a much smarter better half that puts up with them (but not smart enough to realize how pathetic they are and ditch them). It's getting really tired...I mean, you can't even watch a commercial anymore without seeing some moron husband doing something completely stupid while the wife or kids correct him and give a knowing glance to the camera.

Feb 24 - 09:09 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Did you just try to correlate these movies with reality?

Feb 25 - 08:39 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships