Critics Consensus: Hall Pass Flunks

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got midlife crises (Hall Pass, starring Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis) and automotive vengeance (Drive Angry, starring Nicolas Cage and Amber Heard). What do the critics have to say? In the past, the Farrelly brothers' deft mix of raunch and heart made for a potent comedic combination. However, with their latest, Hall Pass, critics say the brothers' aim is off; though the movie has some very funny moments, it's bogged down by a little too much gross stuff and a little too much sentimentality. With a title like Drive Angry, you pretty much know what to expect -- lots of action, and Nicolas Cage doing his unhinged thing, with subtlety and nuance left in the dust. Back to Article

Comments

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

I'm actually surprised by Hall Pass' rating. I saw it this past Tuesday and thought it was pretty funny. It does have a lot of gross out humor which I really don't like but I honestly didn't think it was too bad.

Looking forward to Rango which I will be seeing this upcoming Tuesday as well.

Feb 24 - 09:14 PM

Yoni G.

Yoni Gottlieb

i don't mean this to offend you but why does everyone think Rango looks so good? (besides that it has Johnny depp in it and it is the director of Pirates of the carribean)

Feb 24 - 09:20 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

You have to admit it's a lot better than what we have been getting in the past 2 months. It would be nice to see a good movie come out for once and we're just biting our fingernails in anticipation.

Feb 24 - 10:19 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

I think it looks stupid. I dunno, just generic humor and story.

Feb 25 - 12:22 AM

v-alexander-the-great

victor alexander

Yeah, I had my hopes up for Rango since I saw the trailer last year...but these new trailers have been really meh. Very generic/uninspired jokes.

Feb 25 - 08:37 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I couldn't disagree more. Until recently, I had no idea that Rango was directed by Gore Verbinski or is (I think) the first fully animated film by ILM. Even before I found that out, I was impressed with the look of this movie. It's different, it's skewed, and weird. Definitely not the usual talking animals flick that we often get from the likes of Dreamworks. Barring terrible reviews, I'll be there opening weekend.

Feb 25 - 09:08 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

I still haven't forgiven Gore for the last 2 Pirates of the Carribean movies. It really shows that the first one was just a fluke but a treasure nontheless

Feb 25 - 07:03 PM

Yoni G.

Yoni Gottlieb

I want to see drive angry, but it probably won't be this weekend. Im planning on seeing some of the oscar nominees that i have missed (fighter, black swan) or unknown, even thought the reviews were mediocre(if you think about it, the reviews for Taken were around the same, and Taken was a great movie, so i have high hopes for unknown)

Feb 24 - 09:22 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as the reviews are saying. The only thing I didn't really like was all the gross out humor, but other than that I was laughing a good bit throughout.

Feb 24 - 09:40 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Well, I decided to go out on a limb and am seeing it tonight. I do have high expectations but I have low expectation so that I may be surprised by it. I did the same thing when I saw She's Out of My League. I hope for something decent man.

Feb 25 - 05:11 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Feb 24 - 10:19 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

I think it looks stupid. I dunno, just generic humor and story.

Feb 25 - 12:22 AM

v-alexander-the-great

victor alexander

Feb 25 - 08:37 AM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Drive Angry looks like mindless fun, but I rather save my money for Rango come next week. As for Hall Pass, it has a great cast, but I guess it's too disjointed and gross-out, just like Due Date or Dewey Cox. I'll rent it when it's out in DVD.

Hey, is it me or does Mars Needs Moms look terrible? Sure, the visuals looks stupendous, but the narrative doesn't interest me in the very least.
Also, what are your guys predictions for Battle: Los Angeles's Tomatometer? I say from 78-88%-most likely 84%.

Feb 24 - 10:19 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Optimistically I'd agree mid 80's around 85%
I'd say it will be at least a 70% but should be higher

Feb 24 - 10:44 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Yeah, but since critics have been more embracing of sci-fi films as of late(District 9, Star Trek, Avatar, Inception, etc.), I'm going to go on a bet that it's Tomatometer will be pleasantly high-at least, I hope so. :)

Feb 25 - 12:55 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

It still has to be a good movie to get those type of reviews. Does anyone remember Skyline or Sanctum?

Feb 25 - 07:06 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

Sanctum is not a Sci-Fi film Clint.

Feb 26 - 07:54 AM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

The billboards I've been seeing for Hall Pass make it look like a cheaply made "comedy" and the Farrelly's have had far to many misfires of late, so I will pass. I didn't want to see drive angry however the more I see the ads for it, the better it looks, as a mindless stupid fun B-movie, plus the director made My Bloody Valentine 3D, which was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, so now I'd like to see it. Other than that catching up on Another Year this week as well as Cedar Rapids. Next week looks great with Rango, Take Me Home Tonight, and The Adjustment Bureau

Feb 24 - 10:43 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

My Bloody Valentine was great 3D B movie. This guy knows how to make the screen pop.

Feb 26 - 07:55 AM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Optimistically I'd agree mid 80's around 85%
I'd say it will be at least a 70% but should be higher

Feb 24 - 10:44 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Feb 25 - 12:55 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Feb 25 - 07:06 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

Sanctum is not a Sci-Fi film Clint.

Feb 26 - 07:54 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

I think it looks stupid. I dunno, just generic humor and story.

Feb 25 - 12:22 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Come on! Cage's character in Drive Angry is named John Milton! You can't be mad at the intentionally awful literary references. In no way does this film take itself seriously. You can forgive a lot when you know they're just trying to entertain you with its awfulness. That's why I like Southland Tales. Because it's just balls-out nuts and never tries to make sense of every idea it throws at you.

Feb 25 - 03:21 AM

dethburger hates Flixster

All the more reason to see it.

Feb 25 - 11:08 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

agreed. it sounds like some goofy 70s schlock to me. probably kinda refreshing for Cage fans.

Feb 25 - 03:28 AM

dethburger hates Flixster

Right. After Piranha, which was great, I can see Drive Angry being cut from the same cloth...a dirty, exploitive cloth.

Feb 25 - 06:52 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Definitely DVD Rental fare for sure

Feb 25 - 08:00 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

I am proud to say that I have not gone to the theatres once this year solely due to the lack of quality product.
And guess what? It feels great!

Feb 25 - 08:19 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

I saw that Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman flick, but that's all for the year. It had some funny lines, and wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did rent Piranha a few weeks ago, it was hilarious.

Feb 25 - 02:18 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

It was great 3D film lunch.

Not Avatar...but you probably got that from the DVD.

Great fun on the big screen.

Feb 26 - 12:20 AM

dethburger hates Flixster

Thats a shame Clint. I for one thought seeing Tron in IMAX 3D was amazing.

Seeing it on DVD just isn't gonna do it.

Feb 26 - 07:46 AM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Probably just as well that this week's releases are pretty much stinkers across the board since everyone will be glued to Oscar coverage all weekend.

Feb 25 - 04:02 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Nay. Not everyone.

Feb 25 - 08:41 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

How does that explain two months of absolute cat vomit though? =[

Feb 25 - 11:58 AM

Feb 25 - 06:52 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Definitely DVD Rental fare for sure

Feb 25 - 08:00 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

And guess what? It feels great!

Feb 25 - 08:19 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Feb 25 - 02:18 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

It was great 3D film lunch.

Not Avatar...but you probably got that from the DVD.

Great fun on the big screen.

Feb 26 - 12:20 AM

dethburger hates Flixster

Thats a shame Clint. I for one thought seeing Tron in IMAX 3D was amazing.

Seeing it on DVD just isn't gonna do it.

Feb 26 - 07:46 AM

Ditto.

I'm going tonight.

Feb 25 - 06:53 AM

Cory

Cory B

I just saw it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Feb 25 - 02:54 PM

H. Guy

Josh Price

Did you see it in 3D Cory? Is it worth the extra price?

Feb 25 - 03:47 PM

Cory

Cory B

I wouldn't say the 3-D is bad, but it didn't feel important. They did do a good job of finding ways to use it, unlike other recent 3-D movies. *cough cough Green Hornet cough cough* Overall, I'd say the 3-D shouldn't influence you one way or the other. If you were interested in Drive Angry already, go see it. If not, don't bother.

Feb 25 - 09:03 PM

dethburger hates Flixster

My plans got changed so I didn't go last night Cory but today is another story.

Feb 26 - 07:47 AM

H. Guy

Josh Price

As long as the 3D wasn't distracting is fine by me(I have a free ticket up to $12). This was a must see since it was first announced.

Feb 26 - 10:50 AM

Saw it.

Amber Heard kicks ass...literally. Fichter is a scene stealer. Cage is....Cage.

3D was solid with some good scenes to showcase it. Should be fun without it though. Pure trash grindhouse fun.

Feb 26 - 07:09 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Hey, don't forget to text message like a little bitch during the whole movie.

Feb 25 - 06:59 PM

H. Guy

Josh Price

??

Feb 25 - 07:56 PM

Whats your point?

Feb 26 - 07:48 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office