65% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Hall Pass Reviews

Carlos M

February 23, 2011
Better than just being funny and making good use of that bawdy humor the Farrelly brothers are well known for, this is a delicious comedy that succeeds because of its characters, who earn our sympathy without any effort in a story that can even be touching and full of heart.
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
The material of Hall Pass, dispite be funny, doesn't honor the actors and the directors.
Dan S

June 25, 2012
A lame, obvious, and not consistently funny enough take on a decent subject matter (going after someone else despite being married), concerning two jerks (Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis) who want desperately to see if they could get with another women, and how both of their wives (Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate) give them a week off from marriage to let them fulfill this dream. While the subject is definitely original enough to work as a foul-mouthed, hilarious comedy, the Farrelly brothers inexplicably aren't able to come up with anything that funny, with an obvious conclusion and "moral lesson" you can see coming a mile away. The performances are all pretty average, as you can tell everyone is just winging this thing and in it for the pay check. The Farrelly's have done so much better in the past with comedy ("Dumb and Dumber", "There's Something About Mary"), sadly they don't appear up to the task here.
Dean !

March 16, 2011
A slightly funnier than expected film. A mix of Old School meets American Pie. It has a fair share of funny moments but nothing really to make it stand out from most comedies and make a lasting impression.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 8, 2012
Fred: Have you ever tried the Australian kiss? It's like the French kiss except it's Down Under.

"One week. No rules."

The Farrelly brothers have been a staple of the comedy genre for awhile now. Not because of their recent work, but because of their classics, like There's Something About Mary, Dumb and Dumber, and Kingpin. While, I moderately liked Hall Pass; it is not a return to form for them. Sure it has some of their signature gross out touches, raunchy dialogue, shit, and jerking off; it still doesn't make it to the level of their early work. Even die hard fans of the Farrelly's(I'm sure they exist) will confess to this. But of all of their movies I have seen from the 21st century, this is my favorite. Yeah I know, that's not saying much.

Hall Pass revolves around the absurd notion that two wives have given their husbands a one week hall pass from marriage. In this week they can do whatever they want to whomever they want. They believe what they want is to bang as many girls as possible, but is it really? They seem more obsessed with wings, ice cream, and beer, than with pussy; even though that's all they talk about.

The whole movie is extremely predictable. You know what's going to end up happening, and what's going to end up not happening. The Farrelly's didn't go out of their way to present this in a new way, but decided to use the plot to tell a by the numbers marital tale. Along the way they are able to make me laugh just enough, and that's what really matters. Wilson and Sudeikis are somewhat funny in their roles. While not being as hilarious as it could have been, it still manages to be a decent comedy.

There's scenes here that will appeal to some(mostly gross out fans) and that will totally appall others(everybody else). This had a good balance of scenes that kind of grossed me out too much(the shit scene), and the ones that made me laugh, even though they were wrong(the faux chow scene). Overall, the movie is average, but that's better than what the Farrelly's have been doing, so I'll give it a recommendation to the Farrelly lovers out there. Hopefully soon they will reach what they are capable of once more. Wouldn't it be cool if they were able to do it with The Three Stooges?
Cynthia S

March 8, 2011
While this movie obviously isn't everyone's idea of funny, it is funny. My husband, and I, found it hilarious in more than one scene. The Farrelly Bros use nudity to get laughs, or to make a point. We did not find it offensive. Yes, I normally would find wrongly placed nudity offensive. I normally would, but the placement of these things matter to me. It was funny when it was supposed to be, and it was attractive when it was supposed to be. No, this is not a kid's movie. For adults to enjoy.
Spencer S

January 9, 2011
The Farrelly Brothers are usually good for a laugh, or uncomfortable guffaw, but a far cry from the classic There's Something About Mary, Hall Pass is less painful than I expected. Oh yes, it isn't altogether funny in any way, shape, or form, but it's semi-enjoyable. Not in the beginning, when these married men are acting like two idiot children...no, that's too easy. These antics, this ridiculous dialogue and fragmented comedy styling are more attune to some dirty cartoon than the imagination of a small child. I flinched through most of this masquerade, or sat back and hated myself for choosing such a rightfully snubbable film, but the last twenty minutes are good. The leads are Owen Wilson, who just can't play a suburban dad without a queasy smirk on his face, and Jason Sudeikis, who is somewhat annoying as he stumbles through yet another role where he plays the clumsy sidekick. Their scenes are pointless, and each day that they do nothing is another bit of time in my life that I will never get back. The wives are portrayed by Jenna Fischer, who is the cute girl next door type, and Christina Applegate, who isn't raunchy or fun, but simply flawed as a person. Both take up the slack from Wilson and Sudeikis, flirting and gleefully enjoying their week from marriage. I only liked the end because it had heart where the rest of the film didn't. Two guys trying to get laid because they are sick of their wives are never going to be likable, no matter how flat you make Wilson's updo. The last several minutes are by far the best and most complex of the film and possibly some of the best acting from Sudeikis I've ever seen. Then the film, being coy and gross, ruins it for everyone with one last ridiculous pun. I wanted to strangle someone when everything was said and done, but luckily I have pillows to scream into. A lazy, misinformed, mean spirited flick, be warned.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 3, 2011
I very enjoyable movie, its however a simple movie so expecting a lot from this movie would be a mistake! its rather amusing, a simple plot and storyline with an obvious message about knowing that they love their partners. worth a watch.
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 6, 2011
As entertaining and funny as this is, it really isn't all that amazing or quite as good as it could have been. It does try though, even if it doesn't quite live up to the wonderfulness of the premise.

The story concerns two friends who both dealign with marriages that have become blah, so their wives decide to grant them each a week off of marriage in the hopes that they'll get their sparks back, and get their persistent obsessions with sex and other women out of their systems.

The guys think this will be the ultimate opportunity to relive their glory days of being single, but things end up going not quite how they expect, with some interesting results.Being a Farrelly Brothers movie, there's a decent balance of vulgarity and heart. I didn't think that the films was ridiculously hilarious, but there were a few moments of gross out shock humor that really killed it.

The cast is pretty good, and their performances are pretty decent. Sudeikis and Wilson (especially Sudeikis) aren't lovable at first, but they get better. I think I actually liked the women more, as they seemed slightly more interesting. Although RIchard Jenkins definitely steals the show here. Even though I liked the women more, this film really isn't gonna be a triumph for feminism, and it's pretty damn obvious that men were the driving force ehind all of this.

This isn't amazing, but it's charming and funny enough to warrant a viewing, even if the film feels undercooked and continues the trend of trying to flood the market with movies about idiot man children. I like these sorts of things, but they are getting a tad tiresome.
Jason C

September 5, 2011
This is surprisingly tame for a Farrelly Brothers movie. If you're expecting something in the vein of "Dumb and Dumber" or "Kingpin", you'll probably find this underwhelming. That's true for me, but I was also distracted by the similarities the plot shares with season 4 of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". That said, there are some genuine laughs involved, Jason Sudeikis's performance steals the show, and it's a pretty fun movie. You could do a lot worse with recent comedies, that's for sure.
Daniel P

August 14, 2011
What a letdown! This film looked like it was full of potential for frat boy hilarity, but it never quite committed to being any one style of movie, vascillating between romatic comedy and one-concept farce and bad Judd Apatow fare the whole way. In the end, I just thought this was completely implausible; the name isn't Hall Pass, it's "trial separation," and there was no convincing gravity behind the experiment. What puts Apatow at the top of the genre is that there are generally stakes in his plots; in Farrelly Brothers films, we're expected to laugh at a guy needing to take a shit so epic that he'll need a bath afterward. The Farrellys may have broken some ground with Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin and There's Something About Mary, but they have long since been surpassed. Skip this one.
Nicki M

July 30, 2011
Surprisingly, not a bad comedy! I really expected this to be pretty bad, based on a few reviews I read, but decided to get it out anyhow. Glad I did. Just what I felt like for a bit of light entertainment.
Owen Wilson is decent in this one - not quite as much of a jerk as he normally plays, actually I did not even recognise him until a few minutes into this (I did not really pay attention to who the male stars were!). I mainly got it out as I like Christina Applegate.
Nicky Whelan plays an Australian girl in a way that is not totally cringeable as is usual in an American film, and though there are a few gross out moments in here, they are still pretty funny. Overall this movie is not mean spirited or as sexist as I was expecting. Ending is a little abrupt, but that's the main fault I could find with it. Decent no-brainer comedy that I would actually consider purchasing.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 15, 2010
Cast: Owen Wilson, Jason Sudeikis, Jenna Fischer, Christina Applegate, Nicky Whelan, Richard Jenkins, Stephen Merchant, Larry Joe Campbell, Bruce Thomas, Alexandra Daddario, Alyssa Milano, Joy Behar

Director: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farrelly

Summary: Owen Wilson stars as a married man whose spouse (Jenna Fischer) grants him the right -- for just one week -- to pursue as many extramarital affairs as he can. His best buddy (Jason Sudeikis) receives an identical "hall pass" from his wife, and off the guys go. The hubbies soon discover, however, that picking up girls isn't as easy as they recall, while their better halves embark on their own erotic adventures.

My Thoughts: "The film is raunchy and just a little funny. I was expecting more laughs. The only really funny part was when they were getting a tour of their 'friends' home. The rest of the film was just whatever. Forgettable for sure."
Lewis C

November 15, 2010
It's not quite as raunchy, funny, or heartfelt as it could have been, but Hall Pass still succeeds because of its winning cast. From the funny foursome of main characters, Owen Wilson, Jenna Fischer, Jason Sudeikis, and Christina Applegate, to supporting characters like Stephen Merchant, there's a lot of humorous people on the screen. Some of the jokes induce groans instead of laughs, but all in all, this is worth checking out.
Summer W

March 11, 2011
It definitely had it's funny moments, but some of the subject matter was a bit off-putting, and it takes a LOT for me to say that. Maybe it's because I'm married. Meh.
KJ P

February 23, 2011
Despite a few great laughs, this film is sloppily put together and slow paced while trying to keep you interested by sprinkling tidbits of laughs throughout the film. Hall Pass is vulgar, idiotic, and utterly impossible. Any person would have to be an idiot to believe what the premise of this film is trying to be, however, it is a guys film and for that fact, it is a great comedy to sit around with your friends and have a great laugh at the funny situations. The film is lead by Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis who are the true powerhouses to this average comedy and really hold the mood on a high level. I had a great time viewing this film and I will definitely watch it again with a group of people, but the dialogue is dumb, the premise is silly and I will never watch this alone by choice. Besides, the chemistry between both couples is not very heart warming enough to have sympathy during the week off marriage... Everything aside, for what it was meant to be, I really enjoyed it!
Shawn E

March 23, 2011
An average adult comedy with little to be remembered.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

March 15, 2011
Rated R for Run-of-the-mill. I keep hoping for the Farrellys to give us another Kingpin or Dumb and Dumber, but sadly it would appear those days are long since over. This latest creation of theirs isn't bad, but I'm thirsting for something that offers more than just occational chuckles. That end credit scene with Stephen Merchant was pretty hilarious though. But that's just one golden nugget in a bag full of copper and coal.
Kase V

June 27, 2011
This comedy has some pretty gaping flaws in it, but it makes up for it with a sincere message and an enjoyably dorky performance from Wilson. The laughs are present, but so is the disappointment. The romantic scenes never feel out-right corny, thanks to the talented cast. Many will be disappointed by the result of the fate of the characters played by Sudeikis and Applegate, but it is a Farrelly film after all. If viewers can go in with low expectations, they may be able to get pass the gross-out humor and find a few laughs along the way.