Hanna

Hanna

72%

Critic Review - Los Angeles Times

Blessed with considerable virtues, including a clever concept, crackling filmmaking and a charismatic star, it ultimately squanders all of them, undone by an unfortunate lack of subtlety and restraint.

April 11, 2011 Full Review Source: Los Angeles Times | Comments (10)
Los Angeles Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

costard

tim karasawa

I could not agree with Mr.Turan more. Saoirse Ronan, as with the character she portrays in the film, has outsmarted her film counterparts- her performance so subtle and nuanced, it makes the action going on around her look clumsy and forced.

Apr 22 - 12:08 PM

Andy H.

Andy Hatt

Considerable, Clever, concept, crackling, charismatic.......I c wut u did thur

I would have enjoyed the movie much more if the trailer wasn't constantly appearing on my TV and shouting "HAAAAAAAAANNAAAAAAAAAAA" in a really deep voice.

Creepy.

Apr 26 - 06:53 AM

Stephanie Newenhisen

Stephanie Newenhisen

I agree. Why would Cate Blanchette drag Bana onto a kids' merry-go-round and spin him after she killed him? (or did he just happen to die and fall there artistically?) Big eye-rolling moment for me...

Aug 26 - 10:01 AM

Adam Di Giorgio

Adam Di Giorgio

Not every film has to be subtle and restrained because you say so.

Sep 8 - 01:33 AM

felindamay

Mindy Loveall

True Adam, however, these are the things that made the film no good!

Sep 10 - 06:03 PM

felindamay

Mindy Loveall

Amen!

Sep 10 - 06:02 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

What a surprise, a whole thread full of conservotards who didn't get the movie.

Sep 10 - 11:36 PM

Pete Prewett

Pete Prewett

Your search for subtlety has you missing the point friends. This is an inventive and interesting projection of a dark fairy tale on a modern action thriller. The narrative at once carries a compelling and complex plot along with a fun, if not always subtle, layer of David Lynch style visual symbolism. I thought the performances were nuanced and compelling across the board. Maybe it's "Wild at Heart" meets "The Bourne Identity". There is a place for stylized inventive allegorically layered films says me and this is a good one.

Oct 1 - 05:59 PM

Double.Dubs

Edward Stymest

I agree. Hanna is a painfully missed opportunity.

Jul 24 - 10:12 AM

wggmn3

jfloyd wggmn3

...undone by story..otherwise the virtues, as you write, are considerable..but w/out a proper story the thinking spectator is, at best, lost...

Aug 22 - 07:00 PM