Five Favorite Films With Billy Ray Cyrus

The co-star of Hannah Montana: The Movie shares his favorite films, his influences, and how David Lynch helped Miley get into showbiz.

Billy Ray Cyrus

Art imitates life (and vice versa) in Hannah Montana: The Movie, in which teen idol Miley Cyrus stars as the titular character, a 16-year-old A-list celebrity desperately trying to balance stardom with her normal life. That normal life is her "real" life as Miley Stewart, a high schooler whose pop identity is only known to family and friends and who is about to get a wake-up call in the form of an extended stay in the homegrown Tennessee countryside where she grew up, courtesy of dad Robby Ray Stewart (played by Miley's real-life father, country music star-turned-actor Billy Ray Cyrus). RT talked to the elder Cyrus about his favorite films, his transition from "Achy Breaky Heart" recording artist to Hollywood thespian, and how he credits David Lynch (and a letter from Johnny Cash) with helping daughter Miley become the teen entertainment phenomenon that she is today.

Bonnie and Clyde (1967, 91% Tomatometer)
Bonnie and ClydeOh my gosh! The incredible acting; the performances that are delivered in such an incredible true story. It's a great film.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966, 98% Tomatometer)
The Good The Bad and The UglyClint Eastwood is an inspiration to me as an actor. He, Robert Redford, and Michael Landon, might be three of my biggest influences as an actor. In each of those cases, it's the fact that they play everything with a "less is more" style. There's just something about that style that I try to tap into every now and then; it's definitely my approach to a lot of things.

The Horse Whisperer (1998, 71% Tomatometer)
Horse WhispererI'm just a sucker for a good love story. And that would be another of my influences by Robert Redford. He's been a definitive inspiration as an actor and as a role model, if you will.

Blue Velvet (1986, 90% Tomatometer)
Blue VelvetLet's go with Elephant Man -- no, I'm going to go with Blue Velvet, for my David Lynch pick. I'm going to go with Blue Velvet because I love Roy Orbison so much. He was a great influence on me musically, and still is. That's when I kind of put two and two together -- with Blue Velvet -- and thought, film is a great way for your music to be heard, without radio. It's a great way for your music to be heard.

And that came out before you actually met David Lynch and starred in his film, Mulholland Dr.

Oh yes, it came out considerably before. I'm pretty sure I was a young hellion at the time, about wild enough to shoot at. Just rockin' and rollin', playing these little bars and clubs up in West Virginia and Kentucky and Ohio. Wild as can be, just crazy. It appealed to me.

Twilight (2008, 49% Tomatometer)
TwilightI'm gonna go with the most recent film I saw that was really good. I thought Twilight was pretty killer. Put it up there, I'm gonna go with it! Even though it was about vampires, I thought it was told in a really cool way. I thought the acting was strong. And, I thought the music that accompanied the film was really cool.

Next: Billy Ray Cyrus on auditioning for David Lynch's Mulholland Dr., how he credits Lynch with starting Miley Cyrus' acting career, and his close friendships with country legends Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Waylon Jennings

Comments

StefansZ

Stefans Zvejnieks

Okay, wasn't expecting too much from the list, but... I have to give him a clap for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It's my all time favorite film.

Apr 6 - 06:39 PM

Ace

Jose Blancarte

Wow he put Twilight on his list...well me and him are done professionally lol but all i ask why? What made that movie great that you put it on your list of 5 favorite films? I understand its his list and its his favorite films but im thinking that this might be his daughters pick and he just put it in there.

Apr 6 - 06:41 PM

Joshua G.

Joshua G

my guess is so he can appear hip and witrh the times foir all 12 year olds that are his kids fans.

Apr 24 - 09:10 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Oy Vey, Twilight?!??!?!?!? I won't go into that, but I bet Jen went crazy when the Achy Breaky Heart Man said Twilight. Never been much of a David Lynch fan, maybe because I hate Dune so much but I just always thought his movies had bad narratives. But I can see why people like Lynch, but he's just not for me.

Apr 6 - 06:44 PM

jeff h.

jeff hollingsworth

yeah, i'm not a lynch fan either. his films are too incoherent,messy, and don't follow any kind of narratives.

Apr 6 - 08:06 PM

Scott C.

Scott C

Slow week.

Apr 6 - 07:24 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Wow. RT made me physically sick. Seriously. . . Bonnie and Clyde, the most violent picture to come out gets a "gosh."

Really, erase this and lie. Pretend it never happened. Kill all those involved.

WTF. Your God-Awful new show and now you ask BILLY RAY CYRUS about his favorite pics.

and TWILIGHT is in his top 5? HORSE WHISPERER?

*breaks into convulsions*

Apr 6 - 07:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Hey there, don't bash the Horse Whisperer! But seriously, that is a good movie- call it a guilty pleasure if you will... Jeff H. that is my exact problem with Lynch films, I can enjoy some of them like Wild At Heart but I generally find his movies frustrating.

Apr 6 - 08:29 PM

shane f.

shane fenton

It sounds as if he's trying a bit to hard to come across as hip & trendy with the teenagers and not a guy who hasn't realized he's already middle-aged.

Simple list without much thought, but it is 'his'. He doesn't come across as able to express his views/reasons for his picks. Everyone seems to be 'an inspiration & role model'for him.

Ask someone interesting (Adam West, Michael Caine, Steve Martin, etc) for their list. Billy Ray Cyrus? LOL!

Apr 6 - 07:59 PM

jeff h.

jeff hollingsworth

Apr 6 - 08:06 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Apr 6 - 08:29 PM

John A.

John Arminio

I just kind of love the idea of Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus sitting down to a nice father-daughter move night... with Blue Velvet.

Miley: Hey dad, what are you drinking?
Billy Ray: Some Heineken.
Miley: Heineken?!?! **** that ****! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Apr 6 - 08:38 PM

toats m.

toats ma goats

o my gosh and twilight said by billy ray cyrus on the same page.

Apr 6 - 08:59 PM

steve s.

steve smith

blue velvet easily one of the best ever. waaaay too mature for a little
kid like jokerboy who didn't have a clue what he was looking at. very credible list.

Apr 6 - 09:06 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I never said I saw Blue Velvet, I haven't. But I have seen- Dune, Wild At Heart, Mulholland Drive, and Elephant Man. But yeah Ledawg, Elephant Man is really good. I just don't think Lynch's movies have a narrative, I think he's more interested at times of how cool or weird a shot looks. Also, I think people here can decide who the smarter/maturer one is, Me or you who thinks a list is credible if it has Twilight on it. Someone who never bashes anyone (obviously me) or someone who does for no reason except to get attention (yes thats you).

Apr 6 - 09:22 PM

BatsInTheBelfry

Derek Meadors

They follow a narrative, they're just out of order like a dream would be. I love figuring out the timelines of Lynch's movies and figuring out all they're little secrets. Now, Mulholland Dr. is really the only one that works out perfectly with no loose ends (at least from my interpretation) but the experiments are admirable.

All that being said, Lynch is definaitely a love him or hate him director. Like Tarantino, Luhrmann, Cronenburg, Rodriguez or Wes Anderson. When you have an extremely specific style and an uncompromising vision, your films will inevitably be similar and limit your audience.

Whoever said he had no talent is crazy. Love him or hate him, the man can direct. This was the guy that Lucas hand picked to direct Return of the Jedi (though his schedule prevented him from doing so) and is generally considered one of the best directors of his generation. He may be bat-**** crazy, but he has talent.

Apr 7 - 06:25 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I'm not going to put down anyone who loves Lynch, I understand why they do. I get what he is trying to do, but I generally have a hard time digging his style. Its ludicrous to say he has not talent though, because he is very talented obviously. He's made some films I have liked, but not loved, but I think I may never like Lynch very much because I hate Dune so much.

Apr 7 - 06:40 PM

inactive user

Jared King

My dad really loves movies. There are few films he dosen't like. But he made it quite clear, the two worst films he's ever scene were "Your Friends and Neighbors" and "Blue Velvet".

"Twilight"? There's no escaping that film! His list so whatever. But I gotta say...dude looks like a lady...oh wait that's from people whoare talented. Well Billy Ray still looks a bit feminine.

jokerboy, you should see "The Elephant Man". I don't like Lynch but I found that to be a very powerful film, perhaps so emotionally unsettling it's hard to watch, but it's very well made.

Apr 6 - 09:06 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Apr 6 - 09:22 PM

BatsInTheBelfry

Derek Meadors

Apr 7 - 06:25 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Apr 7 - 06:40 PM

dlo2012

Daniel Lopez

twilight?
really?
good list until i saw twilight there

Apr 6 - 09:26 PM

thereign

lance berry

5 Favorite Films With Billy Ray BadParent! :-P

Apr 6 - 09:59 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

He starred in BLUE VELVET the same way I wanted to get raped by a rabid moose. . .

Apr 6 - 10:04 PM

thejaggerdagger

Alex Jagger

met my expectations from this guy

Apr 6 - 10:20 PM

Accursed A.

AccursedArachnid !

Twilight was from out of left field! I could see Miley into that but Billy Ray? The only film that had any sort of real testosterone level was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It's like that girl's taken over his life...yet he can't keep her clothes on for photoshoots or know what she does in her room...

Oh my gosh!

Apr 6 - 10:50 PM

Ten Ton Alien

ffdsd fdsafsafd

He was in a David Lynch movie? Well I'll be... I still think David Lynch should direct Jurassic Park IV.

Apr 6 - 11:05 PM

Ten Ton Alien

ffdsd fdsafsafd

Apr 6 - 11:06 PM

jeff h.

jeff hollingsworth

Lynch directing a Jurassic Park movie would be the biggest Hollywood mistake of all time. Just imagine expecting an action packed film with dinosaurs, and leaving the theater feeling weird, confused,frustrated and utterly pissed because David (no talent) Lynch directed it.

Apr 7 - 07:36 AM

jeff h.

jeff hollingsworth

Apr 7 - 07:38 AM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies