Critics Consensus: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters Not Screened -- Guess the Tomatometer!

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got killer siblings (Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton), an avenging crook (Parker, starring Jason Statham and Jennifer Lopez), and a smorgasbord of comedy vignettes (Movie 43, starring Kate Winslet and Hugh Jackman). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Typhon

Typhon Q

Guessing about 30%-45% for Hansel and Gretel

Jan 24 - 04:36 PM

ram b.

ram bond

the filming industry is just too busy being commercial these days, actually it's a freak year of 2012 which lent us some handful of good and worthy films, something that didn't happen in oblivion(moonrise kingdom,skyfall,zero dark thirty,django,flight,les miserables,lincoln)

Jan 25 - 09:23 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

What about "Looper"??

Jan 25 - 03:16 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Looper was a pretty solid movie but i personally think that there was more that could be done with it.

Jan 25 - 03:24 PM

David Moparty

David Moparty

argo and silver linings playbook as well

Jan 26 - 10:17 AM

Monica K.

Monica Knight

Some people says its unbelievable .... some who earned says its a wonderful opportunity to earn about $5500 in 1 month on website/internet, did you read the page wow42.com

Jan 28 - 10:47 AM

ram b.

ram bond

yeah i may add looper also, anyway what i meant with my comment is that i miss the good old films of the 80's for example, the erotic thrillers, the horror movie classics aplenty(the fog,dead zone, evil dead 1 & 2, the changeling,poltergeist,fright night,creepshow,they live) and the drama comedy's(breakfast club,sixteen candles, heather's,st elmo's fire,better of dead,risky business,stakeout,midnight run) and action comedy's and action(beverly hills cop 1 and 2,48 hrs,lethal weapon 1 and 2 man timeless decade

Jan 29 - 10:29 AM

Maryann Fläsch

Maryann Fläsch

I think Looper was overrated. As a Sci-Fi Uber-Geek, I found it to not be all that creative and the ending very predictable.

***SPOILER ALERT***
***SPOILER ALERT***
***SPOILER ALERT***

The "Moral" message of "Giving everyone a chance" is just more PC nonsense... They knew the kid would grow up to be some evil mastermind and it isn't just a "Guess", he is COMING BACK IN TIME and has seen the results...

While no one can know the alternative timelines if the kid were killed, more like euthanizing a rabid dog than "Murdering" a human, (A human that had already murdered multiple people and threatened the lives of all around him.) is not really that different than the alteration in the time line from the suicide of the protagonist.

It's an alteration in the timeline that will cause unpredictable results.

Would you rather take the chance that things would be better off by killing Hitler Jr. or take the chance that your suicide causes negative outcomes?

I heard from everyone that it was the greatest film ever and that the plot was so intricate and original and profound... But it was just more re-hashed Hollywood cliches.

Feb 12 - 11:01 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

well to tell the truth, the industry is mainly concerned with making money. but fortunately, some mainstream movies are getting better in quality as well. I'd add Avengers and Life of Pi to your list. I have yet to see django and zero dark thirty, but they look promising.

Jan 25 - 03:24 PM

Jenifer Gomez

Jenifer Gomez

Django is worth watching

Jan 25 - 04:10 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

To back up Typhon, you should add Life of Pi to your list, but the Avengers is a prime example of what 2012's great movies weren't. The difference with Pi was, it was still a blockbuster, but it was one worth watching, unlike the Avengers. Do you really want to tell your grandchildren that a movie like the Avengers was one of the best films of the year? If you think that was a great movie, I doubt you've seen Cinema Paradiso. Just watch classic films like the Godfather, Cinema Paradiso, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, etc, and you can cross out all the films from that list. Other than a few exceptions (Inglorious Basterds, Slumdog Millionaire), the 21st century has not yet produced any real classics that people will (or should) be talking about for generations. You really want to lower the bar of great movies to the Avengers? Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, but it was a useless storyline and was simply a film to watch that's fun. Nothing more.

Jan 26 - 07:13 AM

George Patchell

George Patchell

I wish people would stop complaining about the industry being too commercial 'these days'. The industry has always been commercial because its in the business of making money. Even the brilliant films that you listed are made to make money. The industry is no different than it was thirty odd years ago, or in the golden age of the 20s. It's just that with inflation rates and rising ticket prices, movies make more money now.

On an artistic level though, we are probably at our highest point ever. With new technology (cameras, equipment) allowing directors complete creative freedom we have some of the best films ever made coming out each year. Go look at the works of Fincher, or the Coen Bros. and try and say we don't many great films now a days. And people can complain all they want about people going to see crappy, big budget movies like Transformers or whatever, but the truth is films like that, and the profits they make help the smaller, more artistic and beautiful films get made. Companies can afford to gamble $15 million on The Social Network if they have a billion dollar blockbuster raking in the money. But I think there is even a change toward those artistic movies when it comes to box office gross. The Kings Speech was made for 8 million pounds I think, and grossed 300 million dollars worldwide. Even after marketing and everything thats a huge profit. Thats a better return than most blockbusters, and this is becoming common.

Sorry for the rant but I hate it when people try and slag off the movie industry (and industry I love and want to work in) with uninformed nonsense.

Jan 25 - 11:10 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Okay, I can agree with your first paragraph, Mr. Patchell, but I'm afraid most of what you said is absolute garbage. Highest point ever?!?!?! Seriously?!?!? Even your evidence is completely off! Why don't you go look at the works of Fincher and the Coen Brothers (all great directors), then, right after that, you can go look at some REAL directors: Fellini, Hitchcock, Allen, Coppola. If you really want to "work" in the film industry, then maybe educate yourself at least in the slightest.

Don't get me wrong, The Social Network is definitely one of my favourite films, but because it is more modern, and I could relate to it more, as well as it was a good movie. But you cannot compare the King's Speech with ANY Hitchcock film ever, and also, why did every film you mention come out in, like, 2010? You know what it is? I bet you "read up" on modern cinema from a book that was written by a whole bunch of wannabe directors that was published in 2010, and you copied the blurb word for word in your ridiculous comment, George Patchell.

Let me guess, you're one of those people that think Avatar was a masterpiece. And that would be a result of your love for box office figures. In fact, if you did want to convince anyone about "how much better films are today" and your weird hippie mindset, you could have at least used Tarantino, who is the closest American director to be European (other than, of course, Woody Allen that basically does all his films in Europe). Not only that, but you mentioned the Coen Bros, whose best movies are at least 10 years old!

So I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you have a great passion for cinema. Try and focus your passion on something on something that is more within your range, such as serving for Starbucks. I would normally say something like Hooters, but you are obviously an intelligent man, so I've upgraded you. You may someday even work in Hollywood as a janitor.

Jan 26 - 07:38 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Great avatar, George. You're the quintessential paper-pusher.

Jan 26 - 09:37 AM

Olivia Iswara

Olivia Iswara

You sound like a troll, Sebastian Ochoa. Your argument is weak, you're very very subjective, you made assumption and you made derogating comments about your opponent. All these won't earn you any respect from other readers.

Jan 27 - 02:08 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Hey, Your Honour. I'm surprised you didn't use the word "guilty" in your comment (though you did use "derogating"). Just switch "other readers" to "jury of your peers" and you can lead a very unsustainable life as a judge.

Let me guess, you're either a huge fan of Avatar, George Patchell with a different username, or his mother. No one wants to hear what you have to say about other comments, do you even know anything about films?

PS: Using the word "troll" either shows you're either a twelve year old boy, an IT consultant, or someone who finally learnt how to use the internet, and neither of those will "earn you respect from your readers". Also, why would you need respect on an RT forum? You have one comment on this thing and it's a substandard argument, useless argument. Get over yourself.

Jan 27 - 03:59 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

Hey Sebastian you def make some good points and you're right, the choices I made as far as great films (while I stand by the fact that they are) were not meant to be classed as the greatest ever films. I also wasn't implying that we are making THE BEST films ever right now, just some of them. I was making the point that its stupid to say we aren't making any good movies today. My point about finances was simply if studios make big money on certain films they will be more willing to bankroll others. Also just because I chose to just mention Fincher and Coen Brothers doesn't mean I don't know anything about films. I used those names because I was responding to a comment someone made saying the film industry doesn't make good films these days.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. And you're entitled to make assumptions about me. I know what I want to do in life. Maybe I'm not suited for it, maybe I am. But I'm sure as shit not going to take your advice on the matter.

Jan 30 - 08:08 AM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

Wow. Just, wow. Paramount has decided to NOT screen Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters for the critics. It did the same with The Devil Inside last year...so....I think Hansel and Gretel might be at 14% or 21%, if you tell me.

Jan 24 - 04:39 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

I guess the producers of "A Haunted House" will have to make some room at the table.

Jan 24 - 07:48 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I'm guessing Hansel and Gretel 25% to 30% and for Movie 43 10% to 20%

Jan 24 - 04:43 PM

Jorge Amaya Carvajal

Jorge Amaya Carvajal

13% or less

Jan 24 - 04:49 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Wow, you got it correct!

Jan 25 - 02:14 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

What a LOAD. Anyone notice that the Hollywood circle jerk "Movie 43" has been rotting on the shelf for over two years? While the 'fresher' "Hansel and Gretal" has sat there for only one year. Stale vittles, my friends. On the other hand, you have the indie circle jerk of "Supporting Characters", and of course it's 100%.

None of this matters. The REAL news this week are the TWO Sion Sono (one of the best young Japanese directors) releases, "Himizu" and last year's "Guilty of Romance". Plus a new Herzog documentary, Coscarelli's "John Dies At the End" (critics be damned!), and very intriguing debut films in "The Pirogue" and "Nana". Also, "Knife Fight" deserves note for being directed by the guy who did the underrated "Live" a few years ago. Or, go ahead and get your teeth sticky on that stale multi-plex taffy, if that's your brand of sour pop.

Jan 24 - 04:54 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

i'm a big fan of Jeremy Renner, but I'll give Hansel and Gretel a 45% on the Tomatometer and Movie 43 20%. No new release this week for me. but I desperately need to see Argo again.

Jan 24 - 05:18 PM

Mike Smith

Mike Smith

I go with 6% for both of them!

Jan 24 - 05:27 PM

Seph P.

Seph Packer

Hansel & Gretel - 32%
Movie 43 - 48%

Jan 24 - 05:34 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Hansel and Gretel: 20-30%

Movie 43: 10-20%

Jan 24 - 05:36 PM

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor

I'm going to be a little more kind. I absolutely loved Tommy Wirkola's love letter to Sam Raimi, "Dead Snow", I imagine his first American film may not translate all that well with critics, but so long as it shows some of the heart of his previous films, it should connect with an audience. I'll put it at "Fresh" with a 60% - 65% score.

Jan 24 - 05:45 PM

Ethan Tweeter

Ethan Tweeter

hansel and gretel 35 percent
movie 43 29 percent

Jan 24 - 06:04 PM

Davey Peppers

Davey Peppers

Hansel and Gretel would probably end up a 45% or so, and Movie 43 with either a 20% or a 60%, I can't tell with that one.

Jan 24 - 06:10 PM

apocalypsethen

Alex Voekel

H&G - 35%
M43 - 22%

Jan 24 - 06:21 PM

zenbone

First Last

Hansel and Gretel gets a 7% tomato meter. Movie 43 gets a 57% tomato meter

Jan 24 - 06:41 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Hansel and Gretel looks like it will be a serious contender for worst film of the year, and probably will be Jeremy Renner's film he always regrets he was a part of. Seriously, it looks BAD. I am going with 9%

I thought movie 43 was one of those joke trailers full of celebrities that play in front of movies at the theater sometimes, but I am truly baffled that it is actually a real movie. It just looks aimless and pointless. The sole point seems to have assembled the largest cast ever, and not do anything with them. It will probably score somewhere around 17% just because of novelty value.

It is sad to see Richard Stark's great Parker series turned into a vehicle for Statham. Darwin Cooke's recent graphic novelization of several of Stark's original novels is how a film based on the character should be done; no update to the time period, and an incredible atmosphere.

Jan 24 - 06:47 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

I think that on "Movie 43" the actors feel desperate for money. And as for "Parker", I can't believe the director was also responsible for "Ray" back in '04. I won't be surprised if Taylor Hackford wants his name removed from the credits.

Jan 24 - 07:46 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

He's already got the dreaded 0% with National Lampoon's Senior Trip.

Jan 24 - 07:52 PM

Sebastian Lasarte

Sebastian Lasarte

I saw Hansel & Gretel and i´ll say it will be around the 20%

Jan 24 - 06:53 PM

Randall Lockdall

Randall Lockdall

Movie 43 and Hansel and Gretel seem somewhat short to be big box office smashes ...then again I like the midnight showings especially if no one else is there. Just me an the popcorn. Hansel and Gretel 50+ Movie 43 25%

Jan 24 - 06:58 PM

Geoffrey Hayes

Geoffrey Hayes

I agree with the person who thinks "Hansel and Gretel' will get a 9% RT rating. And enough with the ridiculous tailored leather outfits that crop up in every one of these lame fantasy movies. Do your research. Renner looks like he's from some leather kink video.

Jan 24 - 07:25 PM

ram b.

ram bond

the industry is drawning with the word"COMMERCIAL", please give us back the old days of the 80's

Jan 25 - 09:26 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

I feel so bad for Jeremy Renner (he's went from "The Avengers" to this in less than a year). 20% for Hansel & Gretel considering the 3D. And as for "Movie 43", I can already predict a 0% considering its nasty trailers and overload of celebrities; it's gonna make Uwe Boll look like Akira Kurosawa.

Jan 24 - 07:39 PM

David Saldana-Montgomery

David Saldana-Montgomery

It'll have no effect on Renner; he filmed this more than two years ago and he's more than cemented himself since then. It won't hurt him anymore than Movie 43 hurting Kate Winslet and Emma Stone.

Jan 24 - 09:58 PM

Stephanie Michaud

Stephanie Michaud

I hope you're right. Yuck! I wonder if Jeremy is hiding his face this weekend.

Jan 24 - 10:11 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Well no actor is perfect.

Jan 25 - 08:06 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships