Box Office Guru Wrapup: Hansel & Gretel Hunt Their Way to #1

Summary

This weekend, the horror-action combo Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters led a sluggish North American box office with a moderate debut that was more than enough to capture the number one spot. Two other new releases, Jason Statham's action film Parker and the raunchy comedy Movie 43, failed to attract much business, helping the overall marketplace lose steam. The top ten was filled with four Academy Award nominees for Best Picture, a handful of underperforming January releases, and an unusually high total of eight R-rated films. Back to Article

Comments

Gary Devenport

Gary Devenport

I bet there was a huge drug bust at Movie 43 screenings. Anybody who paid to see that must've been high beyond common belief.

Jan 27 - 04:38 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

i just dont get how so many high profile actors could end up in one of the worst movies ... you would think that a movie casting several high profile leading actors would be expensive as hell because these people are expensive actors, and that they would turn out a worthy movie with all of them in it .. not some razzie awards nominated piece of Gigli with a sprinkle of Battlefield Earth.

Jan 27 - 11:48 PM

Gary Devenport

Gary Devenport

Since they only appeared in what were essentially just short films they probably only got paid scale.

Jan 28 - 12:07 AM

Grafton Thurman

Grafton Thurman

I was roped in by the number of high profile actors. Needless to say, I was disappointed and disgusted.

Jan 28 - 01:07 PM

John H.

John Hurson

I'm sure that negative reviews did nothing to help Movie 43's box office returns, but I think the main obstacle it had in generating an audience is that the only thing people knew about the film was that it had a huge cast. I still don't know what the movie is about, and, honestly, don't care enough to track down information about it on the net. It's up to the studio to tell me enough about their film to entice me into the cinema. I shouldn't have to do all the work myself. My money went to Hansel & Gretel:Witch Hunters. It was exactly what I expected it to be, and for $5.00, I was okay with that. Hell, just seeing Pihla Viitala nude was worth the ticket price.

Jan 27 - 05:07 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I just think it was the plot of Movie 43 that threw everyone out. Its confusing to watch a movie that features many different sketches into it while most of them are about sex.

Jan 27 - 05:18 PM

Chase Lehocky

Chase Lehocky

I will admit that Movie 43 wasn't for everyone, but I liked it for what it was...funny, interesting and confusing. I can't remember the last time I felt this was about a movie. I watched Movie 43 and Broken City this weekend and I came out liking Movie 43 better because it was different. Broken City was a bore.

Jan 27 - 06:34 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Movie 43 seems like it has too much going on to actually be worth watching.

Jan 27 - 07:08 PM

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is basically the embodiment of a January-to-March movie. Too late for Oscars, too early for summer blockbusters, so the studios basically just shove in half-baked concept after half-baked concept in the hopes of scrounging up enough audience dollars to stay in the black for that financial quarter. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how Avatar stayed on top for so long; it's easy to keep the lead when your only competition is Legion, Tooth Fairy, and Spy Next Door.

Its main redeeming factor is that it's an action movie that is currently in theaters, so if you like things blowing up and paying too much for popcorn, it's well worth your time.

Jan 27 - 07:13 PM

Igor Pereira

Igor Pereira

Well said.

Jan 28 - 01:37 AM

inka s.

inka s

Have you watched? I expected it to be completely terrible, but when I saw the trailer and it seems okay. It looks like it's a bit self aware, which I might enjoy.

Jan 28 - 07:16 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

As Jay & Mike on "Half in the Bag" would say, it's a movie that screams, FUCK YOU, IT'S JANUARY!

Jan 28 - 04:57 PM

Esan Ruth Cedeņo

Esan Ruth Cedeņo

GREAT!

Jan 27 - 08:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I love a positive disposition!

Jan 28 - 12:28 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Certainly a more welcome attitude, especially on a movie site.

Jan 29 - 12:41 AM

Jan 28 - 01:37 AM

inka s.

inka s

Jan 28 - 07:16 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I love a positive disposition!

Jan 28 - 12:28 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Certainly a more welcome attitude, especially on a movie site.

Jan 29 - 12:41 AM

Grafton Thurman

Grafton Thurman

Jan 28 - 01:07 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Can you believe people payed to see any of this shit? They would have to pay ME to watch these movies.

Jan 28 - 01:29 PM

Dave J

Dave J

The Last Stand would have been the film to watch but as a result of poor boxoffice results- its not even going to make it to my town at all!

Jan 28 - 01:38 PM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

Wifey and I decided to stay home this weekend. Everything playing we haven't already seen is DVD worthy at best. And why is everyone on the Silver Lining bandwagon, not the great a movie. And the two Oscar nods' meh...not all that great. Both characters could have been played by any other actor in the biz. The movie it's self is very predictable, but then i guess that what folks like these days.

Jan 28 - 03:51 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Jan 28 - 04:57 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies