Happy Feet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy Feet Reviews

March 22, 2013
It's an animated film that though it tries hard, it is difficult to like or enjoy it.
thmtsang
June 24, 2007
Good animation about penguins. Penguins sing to attract their soul mate but Mumbles can't sing so he tap dances. Famous voices - Elijah Wood, Robin Williams, Hugh Jackman.
½ January 28, 2012
Happy Feet promise a lot... but don't is one of the most great animated movie.
November 17, 2006
An all singing, all dancing film that just oozes cuteness. Happy Feet is creative with an adorable storyline, that puts a little smile on your face. Slightly different to a lot of the feature length cartoons and the music gives it a modern feel.
ScoopOnline
April 5, 2007
I can watch this Movie over and over again. I just adore this Movie so much. Its just so great.
October 1, 2010
This may not be a kids classic in any way, but in my opinion, it is a fun ride to take once. As mumble faces the fears of growing up with a disorder that no other penguin can understand, he goes off to meet new animals outside of his species. He feels like there is more to life than singing with his homeland of people, seeing as he has no voice. He is born with the ability to rapidly move his feet to create his own beats. Nobody sees that as a talent, except for him. The quest rages on, and kids will love it. I personally think this is a mediocre family flick with not enough heart to keep adults interested, but it was a nice simple viewing for me, which I found enjoyable. I wouldn't tell anyone to rush out and watch it, but it is not bad! "Happy Feet" didn't quite meet my expectations, but it is definitely a treat for kids of all ages!
Directors Cat
½ November 4, 2011
Happy Feet was really heartwarming and the story had been given a lot of thought to it and it worked. The voice cast perform brilliantly and it was generally funny. My only criticism is that Happy Feet's first act was a bit boring. I would have prefered Surf's Up to win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature but this would have been my second choice for sure.
theunknownhobo
½ August 24, 2011
To be honest this movie was cute, but I did not particularly enjoy it. I think too many kids movies are trying like hell to achieve the subtle adult/child humour that Shrek mastered way back at the beginning of the decade. Happy Feet failed, bringing half hearted characters to life in a desolate wasteland. This film did not hold my attention but more importantly it did not hold my two year old daughters attention either. A definite fail for a kids movie not without its merits.
DreamExtractor
March 12, 2011
Okay, this movie is good, but not tremendous. Good story, characters, and music. Amazing animation too. But a little boring at times, and I think giving it Best Animated Feature was a bad choice.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
One of my all time favourite films. The cutest penguins I have ever seen!
TomBowler
July 31, 2009
absolutely brilliant. one of the greatest movie soundtracks and without a doubt, the greatest animated dance spectacle ever beheld. full marks
Jason Lalljee
½ April 27, 2010
Very imaginative and very cute, 'Happy Feet' is a beautiful animated movie everyone will love.
michael e.
½ January 5, 2011
One of the best and well animated films of all time, which is to me a penguin version of "Cats Don't Dance" even though in that movie its the opposite in this movie but it is basically the same plot.
July 21, 2010
this movie is overrated. its not horrible but its not good. if you want a way better penguin movie watch surfs up. C
cosmo313
½ September 10, 2007
This absolutely gorgeous looking film is one of the best non Disney/Pixar animated films I have ever seen. It blows my mind that this is directed by the same guy who directed the Mad Max films.

The story is a rehash of two old tropes: being different and finding you place and the world, and a nice touching environmental message. They work well here though, and I like that they used penguins as the main characters.

The voice cast is outstanding and are fun to listen to. The song and dance numbers are extrememly well done, and really show just how far animation has come.

The movie turns really dark and a little depressing during the last half, and it becomes something totally different than the first part, but I liked it. I liked that it does something different and throws everyone for a loop. I have no real complaints about this movie. I really don't. It is definitely worth seeing.
3niR
½ January 28, 2010
Fight for the right :)
March 26, 2007
would normally be fairly bored at a kids' film and have just gone to take the kids - but all the adults were fascinated the whole time. We all agreed that it was easily the best animated movie of the year. I would recommend it for any age of kid. The audience in general obviously loved it judging by the laughter but by the enthralled silence at the dramatic parts.

Most families obviously consist of children of different ages - so it is not easy to find a film that appeals to teenagers as well as 3 year olds. This one did - an had the adults enthralled as well. I am not surprised that it beat Casino Royale at the Box Office in US 2 week ends running.

The green message was great - I think it is really important that children should be aware of not littering etc, respecting the planet, from a young age. Having said that, I'm not sure the kids really got that message but it might have had some effect on the older ones.

Have read some stuff on here saying kids should not be taught liberal values or not be made aware of them. Liberal values like tolerance and fairness etc. The film didn't promote those values more than a lot of kids' movies but even if it had I can't imagine why anyone would be worried about that so I'm not going to give it serious consideration.

The film I went to see was basically a really exciting adventure story with excellent acting - you really felt for Mumble - he wasn't just a stock character. I thought Elijah Wood did an excellent job in that role. Quite a few people on the internet are asking - why use such famous actors for Happy Feet - why not have an unknown voice cast? Obviously having a very big name cast of A listers costs far more and so reduces the profits - at least that might appear to be the case. Here is one reply I found - "some of the famous actors out there are famous (and expensive) for a reason- they're good at what they do. Elijah Wood really is pretty amazing at playing a sympathetic lead; Nicole Kidman has a fantastic singing voice to go along with a sweet stage presence...." The visual effects were really breath-taking, probably the best animation I've ever seen. But the film also had an intriguing story with some depth - it wasn't just a bland cutesy film.

I strongly recommend it for children, especially when you think of all the predictable rubbish that Hollywood often serves up for family films.

Up-date - I am very pleased that it won the Oscar for Best Animated; I thought that it was clearly the best animated film of the year - and also I was pleased to see the Academy award originality and depth as opposed to a pleasant but rather bland, mix-as-before Pixar product.
½ April 23, 2007
Classic one I reckon, Music and laughs...A very Funny and Fun movie to enjoy for anyone and anytime ^_^
August 18, 2009
Happy Feet was even better than I thought it'd be. Very entertaining animated feature that looks great and goes along smoothly, about an outsider penguin trying to fit in but seemingly can't because he can't sing....but he can dance and be revolutionary!