Happy Feet Two Reviews

½ November 26, 2012
The laughter from its splendid supporting cast (Williams, Pitt, Damon) hard to miss, no doubt, but Happy Feet Two lacks the magic it's Oscar-winning predecessor had all due to its inconsistent story and cheesy references. The film still produces a pulse-pound beat and sound, just not as strong as the first. 3.5/5
½ October 24, 2011
They should have stuck with one...
MANUGINO
½ November 9, 2011
Every step counts.

Not great but not bad either. Not much different from the first. It had penguins. All kinds of penguins. They all danced around and sang a bunch of hit singles. Only this time there is the whole Global Warming undertone. In short, I wish I could love this movie. But... There's too much of too little. I need more than just cute penguins, though. I need enjoyability to go with it. And while this film isn't bad at all, I can't recommend it except only for kids.

Mumble the penguin has a problem: his son Erik, who is reluctant to dance, encounters The Mighty Sven, a penguin who can fly! Things get worse for Mumble when the world is shaken by powerful forces, causing him to brings together the penguin nations and their allies to set things right.
3niR
March 17, 2012
Movie was okay. Those little penguins were really cute.
DreamExtractor
February 10, 2012
Happy Feet Two took the darker tone of the first film and made it much more kid oriented, and I am not sure if I like that. What I loved about the first film was that they focused a great deal on story and I quickly liked the characters because they were nice, and Mumble was a bit of an underdog. It had a tone that interested both adults and kids, and won itself the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. But its a whole different movie now, it has more jokes that kids will laugh at and it tries to bring in new characters that will keep the audience entertained, but in actuality they were very weak. You may enjoy this sequel if you were a die hard fan of the original, heck even I really enjoyed the original, but it seemed like they were just trying to make a sequel that would pass off as a money grubbing animated waste.

The story again follows Mumble who now has a child with Gloria named Erik. Erik meets the Mighty Sven, a penguin who can fly, and this makes Erik have a new dream to fly. Mumble tries to assure him that an Emperor penguin cannot fly, but Mumble dreams anyway. Meanwhile Ramon is trying to adapt to all the ladies being in love with Sven, but he soon meets a female penguin who he becomes infatuated with. Also, two krill named Bill and Will have lived in a swarm of krill for many years, but when Will finally leaves in a dream to become more than the average krill, Bill follows and the two get caught up on an adventure they could have never imagined. When Emperor Land is trapped by a large glacier, Mumble and Erik are the only hope to save everyone and Erik must find his purpose in life.

The plot was missing the magic that made the first film so great. It seemed like they pulled in any story they could think of and put in musical numbers that could pass off as a animated sequel. There was one really great thing about this plot and it was the storyline with the krill Bill and Will. Just having completely different characters that had nothing to do with anything that was going on with the penguins actually was a relief, and knowing that it was Brad Pitt and Matt Damon made it even funnier I think. As for new characters such as Sven, Erik and his two other friends, and Carmen they were a very big disappointment and really did nothing incredible for the story. The original characters really had nothing new going for them as well, Mumble was having father troubles, Ramon ain't getting no love, and Gloria is just their for musical numbers. Kids may be able to buy into this movie, but as for me I just did not get into it like I did with the original.

The voice cast was as impressive as the original, and the additions of Brad Pitt and Matt Damon did not hurt. Elijah Wood was as good as he was in the first, and you cannot really say much for a voice character that he has done before. Robin Williams has always been a funny voice actor, and he does get a few laughs in this movie. Hank Azaria's weird accent made his character very unlikable, I do not understand what they were trying to go for with him. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon has the best voicing in this film, they were surprisingly hilarious and I really think they gave the film a boost. Overall a decent voice cast that was very better with Damon and Pitt.

Happy Feet Two has a few things that made the first film great. The animation was beautiful and just as great as the first film, they both had special moments that had incredible animation. The music truly was not all that bad, but it seemed to get out of hand with all the variety of music, and they actually lose the beauty of dancing that the first film had and add more music, which to be honest I did not like, there is even one scene where Erik sings and it was one of the creepiest things I have ever heard in my life. The jokes in the film were at times funny but there was one joke at the beginning of the film where Erik starts peeing and I already realized that this film was doomed to be a boring sequel. Sure enough, it bored me to death and only the sight of two funny krill were able to keep me interested. I recommend you see this film if you loved the first film, but I can promise you that you will feel embarassed to be in that theater listening to this shameful sequel.
October 20, 2011
I actually liked this a lot more than the first film. The characters felt more developed and they went through a more interesting journey. Some brilliant numbers (especially the Queen homage) and a genuinely feel good film. It did lag a bit in the middle but it more than made up for it during the end and the brilliant new characters really added a lot to the structure.
michael e.
December 4, 2011
My Cuteness meter was off the chart when I saw this film. The animation is incredible, the music is incredibly well done, the characters are fleshed out after the first film, and it is incredibly well pulled off in the comedy and in the music. It's strange how the two best film's i've seen this year are animated films. But overall, this film is incredibly well animated, the songs are well done, and the comedy has a very good amount of subtly.
½ August 15, 2011
''Happy Feet Two'' is the epitomy of what I hate about numerous animated films nowadays. There's no passion, no energy, no attempt to make something as ''good'' as the original. It's all to make money. I know that's the point of almost every film, but most are made with sheer delight at the fact they're making a movie. The people behind this movie should be disappointed in themselves for carving out something so lazy, dull, uninspired and messy.
The voice acting consists of most of the actors phoning it in. With the exception of Brad Pitt and Matt Damon, none of the voice actors seem to be enjoying themselves. It's a waste of great talent.
The musical numbers in ''Happy Feet Two'' are particulary upsetting because of the fact that they are even worse than the musical sequences in the original. While those were just plain boring, the ones in this movie are boring AND irrelevant to the so called story. They are just there to waste time.
The story itself is muddled, with so many sub plots featuring new characters falling by the wayside at points for a musical sequence. The animation is the only saving grace here. Some of it is beautiful.
It's hard to review a film you know you're going to dislike. I hated the undeservedly Oscar winning first film and with this sequel it didn't make me as mad as the original because it's exactly what I expected. This makes ''Cars 2'' look like it was full of passion, energy and exciting all the way through.
½ November 14, 2011
This is a unneeded sequel to a mediocre kids animation flick, but I somehow found myself much more involved in what was going on this time around. All of the cast is back, and as Mumble is all grown-up, he leaves the picture every now and then, as it focusses on his son and his sons new friends. This journey is much more inspirational and heartfelt than the original, and the climax actually had me on the edge of my seat, something that the first film failed to do. Although I cannot call this a great kids film, it is definitely worth seeing in 3D. The fact that the filmmakers made this a shorter film, while throwing in random "crill" characters voices by Matt Damon and Brad Pitt that honestly had absolutely nothing to do with the story, seemed like time fillers and a cash grab for the voice actors. Still, the story is more fun and engaging, the cast is enhanced, the visuals are stunning, and the script is as cheesy and as fun as ever. "Happy Feet Two" slightly improves over it's predecessor, but doesn't quite satisfy my full expectations, even though I had tons of fun at the movies watching it!
½ August 22, 2014
The dancing penguins are back for more frivolities in Happy Feet Two. When a rogue iceberg imprisons the emperor penguins in a canyon, Mumble must seek the help of the other Antarctic wildlife in order to get them free. Another all-star cast has been assembled, and includes such new additions as Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, and P!nk (who replaces the late Brittany Murphy). However, the characters aren't as interesting or fun this time round. And the music isn't that soulful or clever. Still, Happy Feet Two has its moments and delivers a few good laughs.
February 10, 2012

SC007
½ November 10, 2012
The film was so so. I actually liked it better than the original. I thought it was a bit uneven. I thought the Matt Damon and Brad Pitt's Krill characters stole the film and deserved a film of their own. Alecia "Pink" Moore does a great job filling in for the late Brittany Murphy. Hank Azaria and Robin Williams also did a good job voice over wise.
Bradley T. Johnson
July 10, 2012
The animation is gorgeous and is the main reason to see the film and the songs are fun, but it is sometimes uninteresting, surprisingly crude in some parts, and too busy to please adults. There are also many unnecessary characters. It definetly is a less epic version of the wonderful original. It is redeemed by an exciting dancing climax that features some first movie charm, and it goes an extremely long way that pretty much saves the film. Overall Rating: 58
November 17, 2011
Excellent animation and a funny krill side story don't make up for the very poorly delivered eco message. The animation took all the effort. The story line and delivery of the dialogue likely last no more than a day or two. Made strictly for the money me thinks.
PantaOz
½ February 28, 2012
Watchable... but only for people who just adored the first one!

For all others, this American-Australian 3D computer-animated family musical directed by George Miller, who co-directed the original film Happy Feet, could be, simply said, dull! No excitement and "mojo" like in the first one! The story of Erik, son of the penguins Mumble and Gloria, wasn't even close to the story of Mumble itself!
This movie, like the first one, has the "global warming" message ... the impact on the penguin characters is again addressed... and if you go with little children, be careful, because sometimes the peril that comes with natural disasters may frighten the youngest of viewers (as could some scenes with menacing elephant seals and predatory skua birds).

Ultimately this is a tale of family, friendship, and what it means to find your own special gift... but not as good as the first one!

P.S. How can Mumble be still fluffy and having a son? Fluffy penguins are not sexually mature!
November 27, 2011
Mo small feat, cold leftover Happy Feet Two defrosts some age-old morals for a glacial spectacle. Dancing in place, this flightless water fowl musical makes practically the same moves as its forebear, moralizing on everything from turtle soup to seal nuts. It takes a village. Everybody has a place in the world. All you need is love. Oh, the ecology! Thank god for the musical interludes, however. Even the most persnickety movie reviewer can't help but tap their toes when the energetic song and dance numbers drop. When it moves, you move--just like that. There's no denying that it's more of the same darn ting.

In this PG-rated redo of the animated family musical, dancing penguin Mumbles (Wood) has a son who isn't interested in hoofing it, but they must put aside their differences once the penguin nation gets trapped by ice.

With photo-realistic animation and a ear-popping jukebox songbook, the scenery is breathtaking even if it's crumbling beneath the character's feet. Ah, but there's the rub! Moviegoers were spoon-fed this and the other one-to-grow-ons the last go-round which sorta kinda serves up a frostbitten dish. Did the wheel need to be re-invented? No, but how about some new moves at least? Wood (The Lord of the Rings), Williams (Old Dogs), Pink (Get Him to the Greek), Hank Azaria (The Smurfs), Sofia Vergara (ABC's Modern Family), and Common (Date Night) all do their due diligence providing their celebrity pipes, but Matt Damon (The Adjustment Bureau) and Brad Pitt (Inglourious Basterds) nearly steal the show as two wise-cracking Krills.

Bottom line: Same old song and dance.
½ November 2, 2013
Sequels, most often than not, are inferior to the first installment.
sjcole4
August 30, 2012
Just all over the damn place unfortunately, structurally and tonally. Tangent after tangent after tangent. That's what happens when you make animated films which include too much distracting nonsense aimed solely at kids. Too many characters just around for no reason. Despite this, the flick is still better than the original in some ways. Its thematic ideas hold it together, they are better incorporated and less heavy-handed than the first. The musical numbers are all fun, with some left field ones that actually work in bizarre ways --see Eric's late movie opera performance. The animation is even more marvelous, though something still feels not quite right about talking penguins. That's more of an issue with character design and voice performances I think. It's sad to see an animated film with some real ambition flop so horribly though, and I do believe this film deserves to be remembered more positively than it'll probably ever be.
June 1, 2011
'Happy Feet Two' (2011) is still so cute, animated so crystal clear, and has catchy tunes. Sadly, it suffers from a handful of a plot. At least no young kids would think about it.
½ November 15, 2011
It's a "cool" rock opera, featuring iconic music from the last 5 decades. It's not just the same old song and dance. It's a one in a krillion with morals for the kids and a few the adults should listen to as well. The geological phenomena were depicted better than expected for a kids movie. The 3D was done well and so was the integrated live action within the animation. Take the whole family, well the teenagers may not enjoy it as much as the others.