Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man Reviews

Clintus M.
½ February 20, 2012
"Don't Yank It, It's Not Your Dick!" This line from Marlboro (Don Johnson) delivered to Harley (Mickey Rourke) pretty much tells you what you need to know in order to appreciate this movie. I love it; it's a buddy action flick about a family-type group's attempt to get even and get a little justice for the little guy. It's not even remotely base in reality, and the plot and action are juvenile, but this is testosterone-based escapism at its finest. This fine film plays like a goofier version of Heat or some other heist/caper drama that takes itself too seriously. The title alone should tell you that director Simon Wincer uses the two iconic stereotypes to set a loose, playful mood. Come on; admit it, the title made you curious enough to watch this.

I love the cast: pre-surgery Rourke, Johnson's probably the best actor, Tom Sizemore-the evil banker and his unusual henchmen led by Daniel Baldwin, Vanessa Williams and Tia Carrere are eye-candy, while Chelsea Field is pretty and talented. The rest, Big John Studd included, fill out a raucous cast. Harley-Marlboro was a box office disappointment, making only $7 million on a $23 million budget, but don't let that deter you from the fun of watching it. There are too many attempts at sub-plots and backstories; watch this for the "we're in this together" camaraderie. Don't look for some higher purpose or anything artsy or Oscar=worthy. It's pure cheesy fun.
August 14, 2010
Well the big bold statement at the start finishes off any ideas that this is related to a certain famous bike and cig brand haha dunno how they could use the name when its so close to the real thing but hey. The film is pretty dire really and I was surprised, yes I've only just seen it, it starts off pretty decent with Rourke on his bike looking good and kicking ass, ditto Johnson looks good in his cowboy gear n stubble and they both go around seeing sexy women in seedy clubs and generally winning fights.
At a certain point it starts to get really dumb, the bad guys all turn up looking ridiculous in their 'pre-Matrix' leather coats and shades and there is allot of over the top gun fights and killing when it could of been a decent comedy action, drops into trash I'm afraid. Rourke never changes his clothes and nobody can shoot for shit haha plus it gets way to predictable towards the end.
½ August 17, 2010
"It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

Who uses the word dilettante, anyways? That's basically the only thing that I can remember about this movie. I saw this film on cable after a long long time. I had some memories of it but I guess I've grown because what I thought was fun and all turned out to be pretty goddamn lame.

The story is about two guys, Harley Davidson and Marlboro. Yep, one rides a Harley and the other smokes Marlboro's. Two plain old losers who haven't accomplished anything in their lives. Basically it's a story about friendship and determination... for dumb people.

I couldn't but laugh when the so called action started. It consists of people just shooting a lot of bullets. I think their shot percentage is about 2 percent? Everytime when there was some kind of action, I thought for myself that I could do these scenes, even though I have zero training for making movies.

But there was still something that I liked about the movie and it was the duo of Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson. They're not giving career best performances here but it was kinda nice to see 'em two making a movie together.

'Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man' looks and feels as a TV movie. There's nothing spectacular in it, only some occasional witty dialogue and proof of that the younger Baldwin brothers can't act for shit. Ain't gonna watch it for a third time, for sure.
February 11, 2010
In my opinion you can't say enough good things about this film. Don Johnson and Mickey Roark are all over it turning in the best and second best performances of their lives respectively. At the height of it's genre this buddy-action-adventure-romance-caper-distopian future-comedy is an edge of your seat laugh a minute thrill ride with a heart of gold and duct taped boots.
deano
November 20, 2006
Imagine how your bum feels after sitting on a motorbike for 24 hours. Two product names in one title is pretty good going, though.
xxdebxx
August 15, 2009
Hey, they don't make movies like this anymore packed with swagger, male pride and testosterone. Just love the relationship between the two buddies who even though they have not seen each other in years still know where the other is. I think Don Johnson and Mickey Rourke did a great job and I enjoyed looking Daniel Baldwin again. Good performance by Tom Sizemore as the wicked villain.
jim222001us
August 16, 2007
The movie is a guilty pleasure due to the actors involved. It's goofy, yet entertaining.
keith222
December 21, 2008
I have to say that this film is awfully brilliant. Don Johnson and Mickey Rourke are a forgotten great due. This is a great, underrated action buddy film. I you haven't seen it, I really recommend it.
February 9, 2007
I don't really know what was wrong. Maybe it was just my mood. Sure it's an unrealistic action flick, but that's okay. They can be fun. This seemed long to me, though. It isn't (under 2 hours) It just seemed so. o well.
½ May 19, 2010
Rented this for a laugh and got a semi-decent action flick instead. I won't go so far as to recommend it, but I enjoyed it on a superficial level.
June 7, 2007
A walking cliche. A DUMB premise and 2 hours of my life I will never get back. When I am on my deathbed I will be cursing Don Johnson and Mickey Rourke. What an awful movie.
½ January 1, 2009
A real gonzo action something. You pretty much just have to watch it and go with it also. Has a slight cult status.
½ December 8, 2008
Very offbeat yet enjoyable to watch. It's a made for TV plot with a silver screen budget. No one is going to get an award for it any time soon but I still can't help but like it.
July 1, 2008
this is bad film but i got a soft spot for it because it always played on saturday afternoons when i was a kid and i watched it alot. They robber an armored car using expert marksman skills so they dont have to hurt anyone, all so they can save their friends bar and their favorite drinking hole. you can tell its crap.
June 22, 2007
This is like somewhere between a B movie and a cult film. Just read the synopsis provided by Flixster for plot info. It's actually a decent movie and fairly entertaining.
June 7, 2007
Classic buddy movie with a twist. These heros have lots of chinks in their armour. Great characters, fights, action, gun play, wrestlers, and good on-camera chemistry.
May 16, 2007
i?d seen this one a long time ago. it was a bit better than i had remembered it being. i have to say don johnson is damn fine as marlboro man. i just love a fuzzy face.
March 21, 2007
A little cookey but a good pair up, I like the bikes but it can seem like a bit much for even these two outlaws.
½ March 10, 2015
There is something positively goofy about "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" that makes it modestly entertaining. While the script by Don Michael Paul (Half Past Dead) has some good ideas, since this one takes place in a slightly futuristic area of L.A., which it has a few funny satire moments in it. Otherwise, "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" is a junky action movie, a true guilty pleasure in the sense.

Mickey Rourke plays Harley Davidson, a biker, who loves being on the road. He figures, it is time to see his old pals in Los Angeles. His close friend is Marlboro Man (Amusingly played by Don Johnson, who gets all the best lines in it), who was a former Rodeo Rider, who is now hustling people to get by. When Harley and Marlboro finds that his close friends (Giancarlo Esposito, the late Julius Harris, Eloy Casados and the late Big John Studd in his last film) are losing their bar, due to a highly greedy banker (Played by Tom Sizemore). They need to come up with $2,5 million to save their bar. When Harley thinks, they should ride an armored truck. They robbed the wrong truck, they ended up stealing an new drug called "Crystal Dream". But things get more complicated, when the banker has an Professional ruthless gang of killers (Lead by Daniel Baldwin) to take care of the mess.

Directed by Simon Wincer (D.A.R.Y.L., Free Willy, Operation Dumbo Drop) made an fairly entertaining action-adventure. While this movie has an good cast and sometimes often funny script. Rourke and Johnson are never quite believable as the two leads in it. Although both actors do have some amusing sequences, when they are on-screen together. Johnson has the more sastifying role in it. It is fun to see early screen roles for Sizemore and Baldwin playing major villians in it. Also there is a few familiar faces in supporting roles or bit parts.

It was an box office disappointment in the summer of 1991, thanks to some awful reviews. Sure, the premise isn't original and the leads are mis-matched but it isn't boring to say the least. The movie does have an cult following. Love it or Hate it, this is one of the better if underrated action movies of the 1990's has to offer. Grade:B+.
February 28, 2015
The Mickey Rourke role has Bruce Willis written all over it. I wonder if he turned it down.