Critics Consensus: Parental Advisory for Baby Mama; Harold and Kumar Is Up In Smoke

Plus, Deception proves defective.

This week at the movies, we have expecting ladies (Baby Mama, starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler), on-the-lam stoners (Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay, starring John Cho and Kal Penn), and embroiled bankers (Deception, starring Hugh Jackman and Ewan McGregor). What do the critics have to say?

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle was a delightful surprise -- a stoner comedy that made more than a few trenchant points about American race relations. The critics say Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay has plenty of laughs, but is shorter on smarts than its predecessor. In Guantanamo, Harold (John Cho) and Kumar (Kal Penn) attempt to smuggle a bong onto a flight to Amsterdam, and are subsequently accused of a terrorist plot; the pair go on the run from the law, encountering babes, marijuana, and Neil Patrick Harris along the way. The pundits say this lowbrow, un-P.C. comedy has its moments, but the easy charm and originality of the original is missing. It's currently at 54 percent on the Tomatometer. (Check out RT's interview with John Cho here.)

"I told you I could light it 10 times in a row!"

Tina Fey is one of the brightest talents to emerge from Saturday Night Live in recent years; as an actor and writer for Mean Girls and TV's 30 Rock, she's proven herself to be a sharp satirist of modern times. Fey and her Baby Mama co-star Amy Poehler go a long way toward making this surrogate pregnancy comedy watchable, critics say. Fey stars as a career woman who can't conceive a child, so she turns to a working girl (Poehler) to carry her baby; hilarity ensues when Poehler loses her job and moves in with Fey. The pundits say Baby Mama lacks the sharp wit to be a truly subversive comedy about our baby-obsessed culture, and the film too often relies on bathroom humor to generate laughs. However, they also note the cast is outstanding, with Fey and Poehler playing nicely off each other. Baby Mama currently stands at 60 percent on the Tomatometer.

"Guess which one of these ladies has volunteered to enter the containment unit?"

You know exactly what you're getting with a title like Deception: an expendable potboiler with inexplicably big names attached to it. Ewan McGregor stars as a Wall Street banker who is invited into an ominous sex club by his friend (Hugh Jackman), only to become a suspect in a woman's (Michelle Williams) disappearance. Critics say this limp thriller's major flaw is its obsession with piling inane plot twists and turns, most of which can be easily deduced well before they arrive. At 13 percent, Deception is all smoke and mirrors.

"So what if I said Dawson's Creek is bad?"

Also opening this week in limited release:
Without the King, a documentary about Swaziland, the world's last absolute monarchy, is at 100 percent.
Bomb It, a doc about graffiti artists from around the world, is at 78 percent.
Standard Operating Procedure, Errol Morris' examination of Abu Ghraib, is at 76 percent.
Roman de Gare, the new thriller from Oscar-winning director Claude Lelouch, is at 75 percent.
Then She Found Me, Helen Hunt's directorial debut, is at 64 percent.
Stuff and Dough, a suspense thriller from Romania, is at 57 percent.
And Deal, a poker drama starring Burt Reynolds, is at zero percent.

Burt spending his hard-earned Uwe Boll money.

Recent Hugh Jackman Movies:
------------------------------
74% -- Flushed Away (2006)
51% -- The Fountain (2006)
74% -- Happy Feet (2006)
75% -- The Prestige (2006)
37% -- Scoop (2006)

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Ill see H&K tomorrow. This is off topic, but RT hasnt reported yet, That DEL TORO is going to do THE HOBBIT movies which is going to be AUSOME, cant wait til HBII!

Apr 24 - 06:04 PM

Destroyer318

Susan Olsten

I i'm totally gonna see harold and kumar 2! heard it has a seen with a bottomless pool party

Apr 24 - 06:26 PM

vitajex

Mike M

Oh, it has nudity! Awesome! Because it's impossible to find naked women on this magic box I'm looking at right now...

Apr 24 - 06:46 PM

Mr. Cartmenez

Paul Rademacher

No wonder theater floors are so sticky.

Apr 24 - 07:23 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Oh, too bad Tiny fey's precious movie is now considered rotten

again at 58% Too bad, oh waitaminute I forgot I don't considered poehler

funny and fey is vastly overrated!! One of the funniest satirists of modern

times? Give me break, RT-Tim & Alex... i think you been smoking too much of

Kumar's secret stash ;)

Apr 24 - 07:42 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah, Tina Fay did ruin SNL, but Seth Myers is doing just as bad of a job to. I cant say I dont watch 30 ROCK, I think its funny.

Apr 25 - 09:06 AM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

Tina Fey SAVED Saturday Night Live! I wouldnt expect you to get it though. You were born in the 90's.

Apr 25 - 04:53 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah well its pathetic if you were born before the 90's not seeing the great 90's and 70's episodes. Ask just about anyone who was around back then, and most of them will tell you that its not funny any more and most people on this site would agree with me. So thats pathetic if you think SNL wasnt great i.n the 90's before Tina Fey became the head writer, or if you havent seen the classic 70's episodes. So I think its pretty hard for you to understand whats funny or not funny. How do ya like dem apples EAGLE! Im just really curius on what dumb *** flicks or shows u watch, so now i am going on to your page to see youre ratings. BRB!

Apr 25 - 06:51 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Wow thats a relief u dont rate anything, because you probably wouldnt know what you're talking about if you did.

Apr 25 - 06:54 PM

kooks25

noel ortiz

what the heck is "Deal"

Apr 24 - 08:55 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

I'm still seeing H&K 2 'cuz the first was damn good.

Apr 24 - 10:45 PM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

Tina Fey's not that bad. Best satirist is taking it too far, sure, but she's at least got a sense of humor and stuff to say about our culture, which she handles rather intelligently. I don't think I'll be seeing Baby Mama in theaters, but I'd prefer it vastly over romantic comedy #1379.

Apr 25 - 03:42 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

the first Harold and Kumar sucked. unless you've NEVER seen a minority comedian...you've already seen every one of the jokes. another "wtf are you guys thinking" flick for me. the only decent part was when Doogie was in it...thats it. and i saw the KKK scene thats pictured...there is not ONE LAUGH in that entire scene. its sh3t...

if you want to see a comedy...go see Forgetting Sarah Marshall...its actually funny, and you don't have to be toasted to laugh at it. If harold and kumar makes more than 20 mill...i'm gonna vomit.

the tina fey movie looks almost as bad. seen multiple trailers for that too...and i'm not sure if should be considered a comedy. there wasn't anything funny about it.

Apr 25 - 05:15 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I actually LIKE Tina Fey (am I the only one who thinks she's kinda hot?), and I tend to like Amy Poehler, though I think they over-used and over-exposed her a couple of seasons ago on SNL. The commercials for this looked REALLY lame, though. NO interest. h & K will probably be a very enjoyable rental.

Apr 25 - 08:20 AM

daddyp6969

Rich Perrin

"And not to call anyone out AGAIN (4th F#CKING time), It's spelled A*W*E*some. Please. Once. Spell it right. I feel like I'm on a post with Jessica Simpson. Or Bush."

Yeah - I'd like to put Jessica Simpson's Bush on MY Post for the 4th F#CKING time :-)

Apr 25 - 03:34 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

I love Tina Fey and that scar on her face.

(seriously)

Apr 25 - 06:51 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Apr 25 - 06:54 PM

CallMeBakes

Colin Baker

The only redeeming thing that could be gleamed from Harold and Kumar would be if the police used the opportunity to arrest anyone who goes to see that movie since only drug-users would actually go. Come on! It's a golden opportunity! Don't miss out!

Apr 25 - 10:57 AM

dedalus7

A B

"AUSOME" is actually the way you say something from Australia is cool. Like Mad Max is "AUSOME", or "G'day mate, Did you see ACDC rock out last night? It was friggin AUSOME". It's a cultural thing. Let's all try to be more sensitive to the Aussies on the boards. After all most of them are the ancestors of deranged criminals.

*Note- Since making this comment I have since met with leaders from the Australians For Equal Rights group, and I am ashamed of my hateful and hurtful statements. Australians are not deranged criminals. They are ausome.

Apr 25 - 11:39 AM

dedalus7

A B

And by the way, officially, Tina Fey IS hot. Anyone who thinks differently needs to be shipped off to a penal colony... like Australia.

Somewhere Rupert "Mr. Ausome" Murdoch has his stink finger hovering over a button that will erase me from existence. He's always watching me...

Apr 25 - 11:49 AM

ThinPhantom

james cochino

Haha! STINK FINGER! That is so "Ausome"!!! Just like in that Juno movie! Morgan Freeman!!!! So Good!

Apr 25 - 12:02 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

okay someone call that ship, because I have the "crazy"

idea that Tina Fey isn't hot. In a matter of fact if i ever feel too

worked up sexually, i know the perfect code that will get any man cold

and limp: tina fey. Jeezus, what the hell is wrong with you dedalus7, I'm

really hoping your joking or someone needs to send you images of what

attractive, let alone hot, women look like. And for the last time, this

womsn is hilarious and the best satirist of her time... she is an okay

comediene who has some of the best connections in the business. Honestly,

folks you would think 30 Rock is Seinfeld or something. And how did she do

on SNL? Worst ratings and worst era ever for that once proud show!! I'm not

saying its all her fault but god have mercy,where is all this praise coming

from. Name me one skit she did on SNL that ever made you laugh tremendously.

Really, after will ferrell left the show, the show plummented farther than

when the Knicks brough in Isiah Thomas. And Amy Poehler has never ever made

one funny skit in her life. If i am wrong name one, just one, please!!!

Thank god, for real humorists like Judd Apatow and now I think I'll see again

what a real comedy movie should look like...

Apr 25 - 12:03 PM

dedalus7

A B

I repeat. Tina Fey is hot. No joke. I'm staring at a picture of her right now. It transfixes me like one of those 3D posters that you have to slightly cross your eyes to see (and then after many wasted hours it turns out to be a unicorn). The unfortunate problem is that "hot" is not an absolute term. It's much like quantum physics. It all depends on the eye of the beholder. Now if I can only uncross my eyes...

So in summation, learn quantum physics and you too will find Tina Fey hot. It'll open a whole brave new world to you CoUcH. One day you'll be walking down the street and the next thing you know you'll be asking yourself this question: Is Sarah Jessica Parker the hottest woman in the world? Chances are deep down (way deep down) you're already feeling something stir... no it's not acid reflux. It's your soul.

Apr 25 - 02:53 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Wait now i have to learn quantum physwics to understand Tina

Fey's hotness? Well, thanks but no thanks dedalus7. Honestly, i think

staring into her picture has warped your mind and you should look up

a good psychologist or better yet go outside and observe what a "hot"

woman looks like, m'kay ;) And it would be just in time.(if your thinking

Sarah Jessica Parker is hot, then you officially in danger of losing your

mind!!) Also, to pinkincide, I do believe Pam Anderson is hot but what the

hell is wrong with that?!? I know she isn't perfect, but your insane if

you think Tina Fey is more hot than her. Now I didn't say she wasn't

beautiful because I beleive beauty is a much more difficult term to adminster

True Beauty is found not from physical appearance but inner qualities and

i bet Tina is a more "beautiful" person than Pam just because Tina is smart

enough to star in a sitcom on Fox ;) So, in the end Tina is beautiful but

hot is a term that, in my opinion, defines a person's outer beauty. Thus,

Tina would rarely win that argument and i'm sorry but I can't say she is hot.

Sorry, pinkincide, dedalus7, TombstoneLawDog but i don't think she's hot or

Tremendously Funny, either.

Apr 25 - 03:07 PM

dedalus7

A B

Let me just get this straight CoUcH, you don't like Tina Fey. Just going out on a proverbial limb here, but something tells me she snubbed you in line at you local Starbucks while you were desperately trying to get her autograph. Or am I just reading too much between the lines?... because there is a lot of space there you know.

Apr 25 - 03:20 PM

pinkincide

jon doe

CoUcH are you trying to write poetry, or is the concept of line spacing beyond you? Since you can't spell either I guess it's the latter.

Fey has largely resurrected Weekend Update which has been sucking hard for like a decade. That's more than the other current SNL jokers have offered. And she's kind of cute if your ideal woman isn't Pamela Anderson.

Apr 25 - 12:53 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Wow, pinkincide,you really hurt me with that spelling insult.

Sorry, didn't know i was still in language and arts and I'm sorry if my

poor spelling has offended you. Also, I really don't how to change the

writing style, but I don't mean for that happen. Now, on to your attempt to

defeat my argument, She "largely resurrected Weekend Update which had been

sucking hard for like a decade"... My answer to that is... so? Weekned Update

has alawys been an overated and largely unfunny segment for the longest time.

And yes, she made it better but how much really? Honestly,pinkincide answer

this question: "How many times did Weekend Update leave you quiet or have

ever bursting out laughing?" How many times did even the pathtically easy

SNL audience, who laughs at anything, sit in silence to one of her many

attempts of humor? The answer is most of the time, and even though their

were moments of success on Weekend Update they were mainly due to the

ability of Jimmy Fallon. Also, another question for you, what about Amy

Poehler? You didn't answer my question on that subject? Don't worry, I know

that question is impossible to discovered because I'm right. And no, her

appearances on Weekend Update is not the answer. Yes, Fey's Weekend Update

was better with than ones featuring Norm McDonald but is that really saying

anything,pinkincide? Hope my poetry writing style or spelling didn't

offend you.

Apr 25 - 02:54 PM

The Red Devil

Zach Simonson

Screw the critics, the first Harold and Kumar was awesome, and I am definitely going to see this one!

Apr 25 - 01:47 PM

dedalus7

A B

Apr 25 - 02:53 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Wait now i have to learn quantum physwics to understand Tina

Fey's hotness? Well, thanks but no thanks dedalus7. Honestly, i think

staring into her picture has warped your mind and you should look up

a good psychologist or better yet go outside and observe what a "hot"

woman looks like, m'kay ;) And it would be just in time.(if your thinking

Sarah Jessica Parker is hot, then you officially in danger of losing your

mind!!) Also, to pinkincide, I do believe Pam Anderson is hot but what the

hell is wrong with that?!? I know she isn't perfect, but your insane if

you think Tina Fey is more hot than her. Now I didn't say she wasn't

beautiful because I beleive beauty is a much more difficult term to adminster

True Beauty is found not from physical appearance but inner qualities and

i bet Tina is a more "beautiful" person than Pam just because Tina is smart

enough to star in a sitcom on Fox ;) So, in the end Tina is beautiful but

hot is a term that, in my opinion, defines a person's outer beauty. Thus,

Tina would rarely win that argument and i'm sorry but I can't say she is hot.

Sorry, pinkincide, dedalus7, TombstoneLawDog but i don't think she's hot or

Tremendously Funny, either.

Apr 25 - 03:07 PM

dedalus7

A B

Apr 25 - 03:20 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer