Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

September 15, 2008
four stars
cosmo313
December 21, 2009
A big step (or two) down overall when compared to its predecessor, but this is still a pretty funny and extreme satirical comedy in which no one is spared. The freshness wasn't all there, but I enjoyed the movie regardless. Here's to hoping that future sequels keep from getting stale, and creativity enters back into the mix. Also, the title needs to be changed. Keeping it the way it is with how the film plays out is asinine. They need to call it Harold & Kumar go to Amsterdam or something.

What hurts the movie the most, for me, is that it's a really big retread of the first, but this time they take the shock humor to some extreme and sometimes really offensive levels. Some of it does work, some doesn't, but it is overkill regardless. I still give it a lot of credit however because it does tackle some actual issues, even if it mostly prefers to focus on the dumb humor.
November 8, 2007
Neil Patrick Harris: Gentlemen start your engines! It's gonna be a bumpy ride!

This is a very stupid, vulgar, and predictable comedy, with some lame romantic comedy cliches and attempts at political satire, but you know what? It has some very funny moments. As a movie its not as good as the first one, but it certainly has more memorable moments (Emo Harold).

Much of the problem comes from whats been done to this film in relation to how the first one did things. This film certainly expands its scope to make it more of an epic stoner comedy, but much of the charm in the first film came from the relevant insight handled in a funny and appropriate manner. Here, the film basically works as a live action version of South Park in many scenes.

Still, it's hard not to laugh at what is going on in this movie. It also helps that Neil Patrick Harris is hilarious every step of the way for his amount of screen time. Rob Cordry goes out on a limb to make is character so stupid-goofy-racist that it works. And then there's a terrible Bush impersonator who actual makes it through to being fairly funny.

So much is pushed into this film that a good chunk of it sticks, therefore making it an acceptable comedy, which I laughed at a lot, even if I don't have the desire to go and see it again.

Chloe: You remember that time you stole that monkey and put it in Rosenberg's dorm room?
Kumar: Had I known that the monkey had AIDS I never would have done that.
½ January 13, 2010
If any comedy deserves a sequel, it is Harold and Kumar, and even though it was very hyped and put on a larger scale with bigger actors and a bigger plot, it doesn't mean that the comedy doesn't become more of the same, while adding slapstick and gross-out jokes, while not specifically trying to embrace them. I had a lot of fun watching "Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay," but I find it hard to watch this over and over again, when I know I can just go back to the first for a great laugh instead. This is a worthy sequel, but I don't think they can get anywhere near as good as the first. The comedy lights up again, the cameos are actually funnier, but the overall impact it has is a bit of a letdown. This movie was a great ride, and that's it!
TheDudeLebowski65
June 3, 2011
I really enjoyed the sequel to Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle. This film picks up right where the events of the first film left off. Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay follows Harold & Kumar as they head to Amsterdam for a pot fueled holiday. Unfortunately Harold bring a "smokeless bong" on board the plane, and people think that they are terrorists trying to destroy the plane, they are then arrested and shipped to Guantanamo. This follow up is a superb underrated film that doesn't deserve the negativity it has received. This film is a far better sequelk than most comedy sequels and most sequels in general. Yes, it's not as good as the first, but there's plenty of laughs here that keep the film entertaining and watchable. This sequel some truly insane moments because Harold & Kumar get hunted down by a dimwitted federal agent who is incredibly stupid played by Rob Corddry is simply one highlights of the film. Corddry lights up every scene and he is incredibly funny in this film. Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay is a great sequel with laugh out loud moments and memorable scenes. Fans of the first will most likely like this follow up and I think it's a great film that delivers good laughs.
March 21, 2009
two people smoke pot and then go do wacky stuff and meet eccentric characters who starred in 80s sitcoms while traveling to foreign countries. FINALLY...
½ July 29, 2010
really stupid and crude but hilarious. B
May 28, 2010
I think it works slightly less than the original, but overall still pretty funny. I think they tried to go too big with this when the first one really had a better sense of scope. I think you can definitely go a lot worse, this is so harmless that you don't feel offended or abused after seeing it.
ScoopOnline
December 9, 2009
Very catchy Topic Guantanamo Bay. Sorry but I think it is sick to make Movies on something like these a comedy. I didnt laugh at all. Infact I was shocked.
½ October 6, 2009
Laugh out loud funny sequel
June 26, 2009
A lot of people think this one is worse then the first? I typically found them virtually the same. Considering white castle burgers usually make my stomach turn about 30-minutes afterwords it was easier for me to laugh about two stoners meeting up with the KKK, Doogie Howser, Invisible Unicorns, George Bush, and Cockmeat Sandwhiches then it was watching them try so hard to get some white-castles when there were probably plently of other great fast food restraunts along the way....

Typically it's the same as the first.
There is some extremly funny moments in this one - especially when they meet George Dubya Bush. It's a good comedy for unserious time with friends. Still it's not a masterpiece and I've seen better comedies in my day.
It's average.
May 13, 2008
It's called Escape from Guantanamo Bay, but that takes up a total of two minutes of the entire movie. The rest of it is pure stoner humour, crazy adventures, and stereotype jokes that have a deep ring of truth to them. Even though the filmmakers don't break any new ground, they succeed in doing what the film sets out to do.
½ January 26, 2009
An average comedy, which lacks the political bite, the gross-out weirdness, or the unabashed nudity or drug use to be considered a true "stoner comedy."

It is a teenage comedy for kids who haven't realized such films already exist in better forms, although it is sure to earn a representative place in its genres history for its era-specific setting and references.
½ December 28, 2008
This movie surprised me with a couple of really funny moments. But there are some really stupid parts as well. The thing is that John Cho and Kal Penn are really charming guys and the guy who plays Bush probably is one of the best impersonators I have ever seen. Yeah, there's Neil Patrick Harris and the typical dick and fart jokes, but the best stuff is some really funny one liners said by Coudry and some other minor characters. I'm sick and was not on drugs, but found myself still laughing.
ajaymuthecooldevils
February 11, 2008
The movie was really funny... It just looks like the Eurotrip that been blown up into a Roadtrip... John Cho and Kal Penn show again how funny they two can be... The story was a okay for me, with some rude scenes out there and some sarcastic humor... Once again, it's a nice movie for releasing your stress... Just one thing that the title Escape From Guantanamo Bay was a bad and wrong title for that, they even not been a day in there...
Nate Z.
November 8, 2008
[font=Arial][color=DarkRed]Fool's Gold - This may be the most boring film about treasure hunting I've seen in a long time. Clearly the filmmakers were intending to strike the comic/romance/adventure balance of [i]Romancing the Stone[/i], but boy does this flick flounder. It progresses but it never builds any sense of momentum; [i]Fool's Gold[/i] works almost entirely in lateral moves so no scene feels any more important than the other. It's like the film succumbed to Matthew McConaughey's foggy, stoner spirit and decides to just shrug its shoulders through gunfights and explosions. The characters are grotesquely annoying and yet the supporting characters keep elbowing into what should be a combative romance between Kate Hudson and McConaughey. It's like the filmmakers thought exotic locations, sunny skies, and extremely tan lead actors would take care of the rest. Nothing in this movie ever crosses over into intentional comedy. The treasure angle is so contrived that it requires extensive sit-downs to just go over the convoluted exposition. [i]Fool's Gold[/i] is an empty-headed errand that takes far too long to go absolutely nowhere. For goodness sake, the movie has a puffy Malcolm-Jamal Warner (Theo from [i]The Cosby Show[/i]) as a dreadlocked Caribbean gangster. You tell me if you think that sounds like a good idea.

Nate's Grade: C-

Baby Mama - 2008 is becoming a year dominated by Tina Fey. She won three Emmys for her Best Comedy TV series [i]30 Rock[/i], including writing and acting, and her dead-on portrayal of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin has branded the public perception of this political figure. [i]Baby Mama[/i] is a mildly entertaining comedy that works because of the finely honed chemistry between Fey and her former [i]Saturday Night Live[/i] co-star, Amy Poehler. The movie is at its best when these two women can play off one another. The banter isn't laugh-out-loud funny but provokes plenty of smiles and chuckles. The movie goes in an unforeseen direction in the third act that attempts to raise the stakes through drama, but it feels like a disappointing direction for what is essentially a female buddy comedy. The jokes flow at a steady pace and the movie has a great supporting cast of big names that know how to leave their mark, like Steve Martin as a daffy New Age CEO and Sigourney Weaver as a amazingly fertile boss.

Nate's Grade: B

The Other Boleyn Girl - The story of Henry the Eighth and his many wives is a tale full of romance, danger, betrayal, and sweeping historical changes; it's the most popular soap opera of its age. The 700-page book was naturally going to get slimmed down as a feature film, and [i]The Other Boleyn Girl[/i] feels a bit too streamlined for all the heavy historical events that take place. The production values are all top-notch and the story has some juicy moments. It presents an intriguing angle by showcasing the conniving rivalry between the Boleyn sisters (Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman). The acting falls under that period film gravity where the actors all speak stately and enunciate every syllable slowly, like they were testing out the sound for the first time. Portman is especially fun in a villainous role. Eric Bana is completely at odds with history as Henry VIII, but I suppose it would be harder for modern audiences to accept young nubile ladies vying for the affection of a huge, ugly man with a leg of mutton in his grip.

Nate's Grade: B

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay - I was a big fan of the first outing to White Castle, a crude stoner comedy that also happened to be clever in its outrageousness. The [i]Harold and Kumar[/i] sequel returns the same writers but what the hell happened? The first film separated itself from its class of juvenile jokesters because it had charm and wit, but this mediocre movie just stumbles from one uninspired comedic setup to another. The boys get mistaken for terrorists and then the movie becomes a ramshackle road trip through America. The gags are lame and easily telegraphed. Regrettably, many jokes are reheated from the first film, like Kumar's fantasies involving an anthropomorphic living bag of weed. The presence of the hysterically gifted Neil Patrick Harris gives the film a boost but even NPH cannot save these less-than-stellar shenanigans. The comic set pieces don't add up together into something greater, and the only scene worth remembering is when the boys smoke weed with President Bush. You know you're in bad shape when even the gratuitous nudity feels tacky and boring.

Nate's Grade: C

Semi-Pro - Will Ferrell should just retire doing sports movies.

Nate's Grade: C-[/color][/font]
½ December 13, 2007
Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay was a lot better and a lot funnier than I expected. The satire was scathingly funny (specifically the scene in "the hood" and with the southern couple) and well worth sitting through the expected sophomoric humor. This movie ended on a weird but expected note that I'm still having trouble getting my head around but I think I liked it a little bit better than the first one.
½ October 24, 2008
As the idea is no longer fresh and the plot has basically the same structure, it doesn't quite match the original. But the sequel delivers enough new developments to keep it interesting.
½ October 22, 2008
On all accounts a basic re-tread of the original. This time however they encounter even more bizarre situations such as well furnished hillbillies, the KKK and whore house. The jokes remain the same with a few funny lines but it can usually be traced back to sex, bodily functions or drugs. The two and a half stars are pretty much all for Neil Patrick Harris who returns as a twisted version of himself. High on shrooms and seeing unicorns it works perfectly. He owns the screen while he is on it but he isn't over used or promoted to a main sidekick. This will definitely appeal to its target audience though there is no need to make it a trilogy.