Exclusive: Helen McCrory Updates on Harry Potter 7

The Narcissa Malfoy actress on Deathly Hallows

Poor Narcissa Malfoy. If it wasn't bad enough that she had to stand by as her son, Draco, was charged with the task of murdering Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, during the course of Deathly Hallows she'll see her home used as Voldemort's headquarters and her family placed under house arrest by his Death Eaters. For Helen McCrory, the actress charged with bringing her to life on the big screen, though, the seventh and final part of the franchise -- split into two movies -- will be as exciting as anything that has come before.

Talking exclusively to Rotten Tomatoes from the set of her new film, Noel Clarke's 4.3.2.1, she said that her work on Deathly Hallows was going well and promised an epic finale for Potter fans. "It's got a full stop," she told us. "I think up to now, every director who has done a Harry Potter has had to do a dot-dot-dot. They know it's a sequel, they know there's another film coming out. But with this one, we can actually make everything have an epic ending. It's going to be final. And it's going to be huge. There doesn't have to be any more pauses or dot-dot-dots. So they're letting out all the stops with this one."

Narcissa Malfoy

For McCrory, this change in tone is evident on set, where many of the cast and crew are getting ready to say goodbye to decade-long era. "We finish in April and it does feel different on set actually," she explained. "Some people have been doing it for 10, 11 years. It's part of their lives. So although I've just joined them at the end, a lot of people have a huge emotional commitment to it. There are children that have grown up with the people on the set, like the directors and the costume designers backstage. It's a very big occasion for those people."

Despite the magical challenges faced by Harry and co. as Voldemort continues to gain power, McCrory thinks that what makes director David Yates' time on the series so special is his attention to the more human aspects of the franchise. "[Half-Blood Prince] was definitely filled with teenage angst, and you remember how violent teenage angst is. There's nothing romantic about it. You're thinking, Oh my God, what am I going to do for the rest of my life? You're starting to make decisions about the rest of your life. I think [David Yates] really summed that up in a very real way, and a very serious way.

"I think with these next two films, he's looking at this character becoming a man. And that again, is quite an epic story. That's Ulysses. Rites of passage. It's exactly what Noel Clarke did, in a way, with Kidulthood. We still watch those stories, whether they're set in Hogwarts or New Cross."

McCrory told us she was due for a table read of the script for the second part of the film today. "You don't know what to expect until you get there," she said. "Something written down on paper could be completely different on the screen. On Monday we're just going to sit down with various people around a table."

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I arrives in cinemas in November of next year, while Part II is set for a July 2011 release.

Comments

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Harry Potter Sucks!

Oct 5 - 05:07 AM

Alice Raiku

Alice Altamirano

I hope you realize saying this doesn't make you "cool" or seemingly more superior or intelligent in anyway.

Why comment on something you dislike? It's a waste of time.

Personally, I think the Harry Potter series and its movies are brilliant pieces of artwork derived from the mind of a very gifted and talented writer. I'm so sad knowing that in a couple years it'll all be over. There will be no more midnight premiers to attend with my friends, no more nights waiting outside Barnes&Noble to buy the new book in the series. I believe, though, that it's made such an impact on people's lives, mine included, that it will continue to give us the joy and frivolity it always has for many years to come.

Deathly Hallows is looking just as spectacular as those before it, and I can't wait to see my favorite book in the series brought to life on the big screen.

Oct 8 - 07:54 PM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

i really looking forward on seeing DH part 1. Yates already said that they are shooting the film with alot of hand held shots. hmmm... this reminds me of Children Of Men, another big budget film shot on hand held. it would also be nice if we could get some very good long takes that doesnt draw too much attention onto itself(kind of like CoM). it gives great tension in a movie that's filled with tension(the first part of the book is INTENSE).

this is one of the most interesting films comung out next year. will it work? who knows? will the mainstream audience accept this kind of filmaking? again who knows. it's nice that Yates is trying to make it fresh everytime he makes a Potter film. HBP is a very solid entry in the Potter film franchise. it makes you forget the disaster that is 'Order of the Phoenix'. if Yates makes another very good film like HBP, it will make me stop wondering "What if Cuaron made another Potter film?"

Oct 5 - 05:57 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

I don't think director's need to be so artsy with their choices of camera shots. A little to spice up a traditional film is one thing but too much hand-held filmmaking will be distracting. Cuaron's Azkaban feels the least like a Harry Potter film of the series and is not as enjoyable on re-watching. I'm glad he only did one film. I appreciate some of the risks he took but traditional filmmaking techniques often work best in these epic films. Goblet of Fire was the proof that an emotional, personal story can still be told with traditional camera angles and techniques. I hope Yates does not go over board with his trying to be stylistic, to the detriment of the ultimate story. Let it be a Harry Potter film, not a kid-friendly Children of Men.

Oct 5 - 06:34 AM

Dale W.

Dale Welsby

You sure are talking balls, it was different i liked all the harry potters and the worst was the goblit of fire was the worst in my opinion the way it was shot and the editing was simple for a harry potter film there was no montages or any psychological postmodern shots that added to the effects it was plain and boring.

Oct 25 - 07:13 AM

Hamboner

Brian Lorenzen

Well, it may be a Harry Potter Film but it will be filled with war and death.

To me, it sounds very appropriate to introduce new camerawork in order to capture just how dangerous these final books are supposed to feel.

Oct 5 - 07:58 AM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

@Shatter24

i disagree with you completely. Cuaron is the "fulcrum" of this movie franchise. without him, i don't know what the series would be. PoA is the best(tied with HBP) Potter film out of them all. i mean, the film gets better everytime you watch it. in all honesty, i didn't like it the first time i saw it when it was released. i thought it was boring and too "silent". on the other hand, i really like Goblet of Fire the first time i saw it. it was much like the first two films but "darker" which are more "hollywood". once i grew older(i am jus 18 today), i started to realize how wrong i am. Goblet of Fire is all spectacle and nothing more. it's just a forgetful entry. Newell didn't really do anything "fresh". it was made like any other studio film out there. once you get over the effects, the film isnt really anything good. i think that's a difference with a film with depth and a normal film. the films with depth gets better everytime you watch it while other movies becomes forgetful because they don't really show anything more than special effects. also, Cuaron set the tone for the movies that came after PoA. his look of Hogwarts is the blueprint that Newell and Yates is copying. it would be kick-*** if he returned. his Hogwarts look great even without his collaborator Chivo Lubezksi. If he returned with Chivo, they might have captured some truly beautiful images in the Wizarding World. All the WHAT IFs continues unless someone makes the definite BEST POTTER FILM.

still, i respect your opinion. i think it depends on what kind of audience you are with thes Potter films.
it's basically like this, which Kill Bill film did you prefer? Vol. 1 or Vol 2? it's easy to identify what kind of audience you are just by answering that question.

lastly, it's okay to be stylistic. as long as it does not draw too much attention. and i support Yates and his "different" style of filmaking for part 1

Oct 5 - 08:02 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I have to agree. Cuaron's POA takes its time and let's the story breathe. The cutesy elements of the first two films are gone and there is a maturity creeping into the series by this point, and it was instrumental in setting the tone for all the movies that followed.

I'm sure Yates will not over use the hand held technique, so let's all give him the benefit of the doubt, ok?

Hand held shots are great at communicating a feeling of unrest, a bit of chaos and uncertainty. With the three main characters out of Hogwarts and fugitives through most of the first half of Deathly Hallows, this seems like a very wise creative decision.

Oct 5 - 08:26 AM

Boddah

Sean Somers

cant wait

Oct 5 - 08:18 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Oct 5 - 08:26 AM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

POA is by far the worst Harry Potter movie. I tried to watch it more than once but it is so bad. Goblet of fire is much much better than POA.

Oct 5 - 08:29 AM

nbrush

Nick Brush

I don't know that I agree with you "Cutler To The Rescue". Goblet of Fire was the best one of the bunch, in my opinion, but I loved how Prisoner of Azkaban turned out. I liked the rat being the sneak- it was a much darker movie than the first two. I think that the last movie, Half-Blood Prince, was much worse. It did not have its own ending and storyline it seemed. The other movies could pretty much stand on their own. They are obviously part of the overall book collection, but they had their own main things happening. In the first one, someone was trying to get the stone, the second one, the snake was let out of the Chamber of secrets, even the Goblet of Fire had the tournament... Order of the Phoenix, which was much better than Half Blood Prince, was another movie that felt like a "chapter" instead of its own movie, but it had a better defined storyline than this last one.

The half blood prince topic was almost an afterthought- Snape said- oh ya I'm the Half Blood Prince- walk away.... The Death Eaters appeared much more menacing and tough in the Order of the Phoenix than they did in this rushed ending. I liked the interaction of the kids in this one, but the evil story was very lacking. I'd put Half Blood Prince at the worst of the series.

Oct 5 - 11:32 AM

Siler_117

Justin Siler

sorry, but you are wrong. Prisoner of Azkaban was not only a good Harry Potter film, but just a good movie all around.

Oct 5 - 12:38 PM

Not L.

Not Likely

So you don't sound like a complete tool, how about adding 'in my opinion' to the end of your sentences?

Oct 5 - 09:26 AM

Hollywood Karma

kevinsmithsux Last

Ha

Oct 5 - 09:54 AM

Hollywood Karma

kevinsmithsux Last

Ha

Oct 5 - 09:54 AM

Kyle G.

Kyle Gallion

Funny, POA was my favorite book and my least favorite of the films so far. Maybe i just couldn't get over the important things left out of the film like who created the marauder's map or the scant time spent in honeydukes to name a few. Or maybe it was how awful the werewolf looked. I dunno, i certainly did appreciate the the overall dark tone of the film and thought the time shifting finale played nicely.

I believe my favorite film so far is either HBP or OOTP. Both managed the dark tone and look very nicely but with more and more color being drained from the pallet with each film i wonder if deathly hollows will simply be in black and white.

Anyway, i cannot wait for the final films. I can't remember a franchise ever to retain a 10th of the quality this series has over multiple installments. It truly is a thing to behold.

Oct 5 - 10:21 AM

THECOWBELLHASSPOKEN

joseph rivera

poa is still my favorite but hbp had some beautiful shots and good moments i just think they shouldve stuck with the orignal ending.

Oct 5 - 10:24 AM

THECOWBELLHASSPOKEN

joseph rivera

also i meant to say gamebon finally gave a great performance as dumbledore in hbp. no more of the yelling at students all the time bull**** he pulled in gof.

Oct 5 - 10:27 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

looks like its almost time for . . .
HARRY POTTER-LAND
a send-ip of all the great HARRY POTTER Movies . . .
sooner or later HARRY POTTER will MEET a VAMPIRE, a MAN-MADE MONSTER, a WEREWOLF, a MUMMY . . .
eventually A GHOULASH will stumble into the HARRY POTTER Universe . . .

how about HARRY POTTER VS. GODZILLA . . .

I remember with FRANKENASTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, TOHO Studios made a 50 FT FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER fight a 50 Foot DRAGON.

HARRY POTTER can cast a Spell and turn hilmself into a 50 foot HARRY POTTER.

or BETTER YET

HARRY POTTER slips into a WORM HOLE and lands in the middle of MGM's THE HOBBIT to steal THE RING from Bilbo and SCHMEGOL.

Oct 5 - 10:36 AM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Not L. my statement is a fact not and opinion, tool.

Oct 5 - 11:17 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Ah, Captain, we sure missed you.

Oct 5 - 01:46 PM

Sinister Minister

larry mcmichael

POA is my favorite of the HP films. I've enjoyed all of them so far but I have to say, POA is a cut above, imo. And gordon, this will be my last post in response to you. Your posts are truly painful to read. From now on, when I see your name, i will scroll down and completely ignore you. Just like you shouldn't yell "Fire!" in a crowded movie theatre, you should not post in a public forum. I understand that you have a right to form and share your opinion. but just cause you go the right, don't mean you should do it.

Oct 5 - 11:29 AM

nbrush

Nick Brush

Oct 5 - 11:32 AM

Matt M.

Matt Mahar

I am unsure how someone could dislike PoA because it was missing things from the novel and then go ahead and praise HBP? HBP was totally screwed up, in my opinion.

Oct 5 - 11:46 AM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

Why does every Harry Potter topic turn into a "No, this Potter film was the best," or "No, this director was the best" argument?

Oct 5 - 12:15 PM

LEGION

LEGION MOVIEAVENGER

Wow...another year...another Harry Potter film.

Joy.

Oct 5 - 12:29 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships