Critic Review - Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)

There's visual overstatement, stone-heavy exposition, self-seriousness (masquerading as maturity), CGI-laden plot (falling short of spectacle), and predictable action sequences.

July 22, 2011 Full Review Source: Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada) | Comments (198)
Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)

Comments

RocketMan

samii y

So... you didn't like it? *holds for applause*

Guys, before you comment, remember 96% is still pretty damn good, especially with a 100% top critic percentage!

Jul 22 - 07:36 PM

Crimson Ark

Crimson Ark

this guy's review sucked though!
not because it was negative but its like
he saying the opposite of what all the positive
critics are saying!
"Troll in the dungeon! There's a troll in the dungeon!"

Jul 22 - 08:32 PM

Kornknealious

Thomas Korn

Oh no! someone with their own opinion is a "troll"

Aug 2 - 11:01 PM

Phillip K.

Phillip Kissell

96%?!

My life is fucking over. :(

Jul 22 - 08:03 PM

ATR

Alexander Rojas

Haha ... don't worry ... mathematically speaking it should still be 97%. But three more positives and there will be no doubt that it will go up to 97 again.

Jul 22 - 08:11 PM

Lucas Z.

Lucas Zumsteg

My life was over when I saw a Reelz Channel Top Ten Franchises of all time and the Twilight Franchise was #1 over TLOTR, HP, Star Wars, Back to the Future, and every other franchise I would choose over Twilight. The end is nigh...

Jul 23 - 10:38 AM

Drew Ryan

Drew Ryan

YOU AREN'T KIDDING? jesus!

Jul 23 - 01:53 PM

Kean Magno

Kean Magno

Wow, that doesn't hold any water. Even if we don't base things on technicalities, the Twishit Saga still does not have enough financial gains to garner no. 1. BS.

Jul 25 - 09:33 AM

Solrac Aicrag

Solrac Aicrag

Wow, really. Twilight sucks even more than Transformers (Although I like Tranformers).

Jul 27 - 05:17 PM

TheGateofTruth

I Am The Vast UNIVERSE I Am The Vast UNIVERSE

The people at Reelz channel are clearly smoking crack to believe such nonsense.

Jul 31 - 10:44 AM

Philip Patry

Philip Patry

I think any other series you would choose over twilight IS any other series

Aug 16 - 02:30 PM

Brandon Kim

Brandon Kim

So I guess it's an opposite day for Reelz Channel?

Sep 17 - 06:59 PM

Dalton Wooldridge

Dalton Wooldridge

To be honest i didnt predict any of the action scenes and i read all the books, but i did picture it different in my head until i watched the movie and it completely warped my mind. The only real bad thing about this movie was the ending.

Aug 17 - 09:17 AM

Crimson Ark

Crimson Ark

you son of a bitch!
you knocked us down to 97!
I hope you burn in Hell you bastard!
Why?
Why?!
WHYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!

Jul 22 - 08:30 PM

Alex Stowers

Alex Stowers

Agreed

Jul 23 - 04:59 AM

Sakib Wasif

Sakib Wasif

highly agree

Aug 2 - 04:22 PM

Thomas Korn

Thomas Korn

Acutally, I think this film is really 48% .. the only reason people like it is because it has "Harry Potter" slapped on the title.. this is a bland lifeless film like most the other HP films..

Pure drivel

The books are bad ass...the films.. pure shit

Aug 5 - 12:39 AM

Chas McGinty

Chas McGinty

The only Harry Potter film except this one that hits 90% is The Order of the Phoeniz (91%) so your point is entirely invalid

Aug 5 - 03:38 AM

Lynne Larson

Lynne Larson

Too bad you didn't enjoy it. Are you sure you were in the right theater?

Aug 14 - 02:34 PM

Philip Patry

Philip Patry

1. Dont compare to the books.
2. nah, thats about it.

Aug 16 - 02:33 PM

Maxine Fremont

Tiéphaine Thomason

are you a twilight fan or something?

Dec 20 - 01:56 AM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Who's Brian Gibson? Nobody. He's a nobody who's stating a contrarian opinion (he's saying the exact opposite of what both critics and fans have been saying about the film) in order to get traffic to his website. A troll, in order. Not to the extremes of Armond White, but a troll nonetheless.

Jul 22 - 08:47 PM

Aiden Jeynes

Aiden Jeynes

you're a nobody

Jul 23 - 01:00 AM

Piotr Kleczewski

Piotr Kleczewski

I happen to agree with Mr. Gibson. If you think he's nobody, then who are you? Mr.Gibson's reviews are published on Rottentomatoes, so he must be a good critic.
I totally agree with his review. Why so many critics disagree with him? I'm afraid many of them do but he's the only one who's not afraid share his honest opinion.
I've watched the movie. I've never been so bored in my life. I do not want to go into details because I'm not a critic. I just didn't enjoy it the least bit. However, I assume the HP paart2 might be appealing for audience under 12, which as we all know not a very demanding audience.

Aug 8 - 10:30 AM

Thomas P.

Thomas Perkins

Reminds me of "The Last Temptation of Christ." No one dared give that a bad review even though many, behind closed doors, called it for what is was: "pure blah". I'm still waiting for Scorsese's edgy fearless sequel, "The Last Temptation of Mohammed."

Aug 8 - 09:26 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Absolutely agree, the movie was dull and praised without reason. I hope, and I mean, I really hope, this is not considered for the Oscars... it would certainly be the end of everything justifyable and thoughtful in modern filmmaking.

Dec 27 - 02:25 PM

Guillermo Diaz

Guillermo Diaz

Troll

Jul 22 - 08:52 PM

ran d.

ran dom

so critics with an opinion in the minority are called trolls now?

Jul 24 - 04:13 AM

Pranav Singh

Pranav Singh

yes. yes they are.

Jul 26 - 11:17 AM

Mordecai Banda

Mordecai Banda

ditto

Aug 11 - 04:40 PM

TFB

Nick Coviello

Edmonton? That place still exists?

Jul 22 - 09:00 PM

Quyen Woong

Quyen Woong

Predictable?!!!! Most people that read the books watched this movie retard so people will know what happens!

Jul 22 - 09:07 PM

Sheancé Hermosa

Sheancé Hermosa

hahahah! You're so fucking dumb as hell... everybody knows the story... HAHAHAHA PREDICTABLE? Hell I know you didn't predicted when you read the book.. HAHAHAHA

Jul 23 - 05:06 AM

Montano Marvel

Montano Marvel

i didnt read the book and i thought the movie was boring...so what your telling me is i have to read the book to enjoy this movie...

Jul 23 - 07:32 PM

andy s.

andy sanchez

no it just means you have a really short attention span...

Jul 30 - 10:25 AM

Derick Smith

Derick Smith

No, it means the characters were so poorly handled that he couldn't care less about them.

Aug 1 - 08:56 AM

James Russell

James Russell

(shakes head and places palm on forehead)
Looks like this Brian Gibson fellow wants some attention. Awww, poor baby...

Jul 22 - 09:15 PM

Ryan Rakowski

Ryan Rakowski

I smell a troll.

Jul 22 - 09:28 PM

The Yellow Dart

Martin Alyass

Top Critics = 40/40

'Nough said, trolls not taken into account :p

Jul 22 - 09:38 PM

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Yeah, and it's 8.8/10 :)

Jul 22 - 09:46 PM

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Oh fuck...

Jul 22 - 09:43 PM

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

*In before the "He's right, the movie was horrible" or the "He's spot on, it's a terrible picture"*

Jul 22 - 09:51 PM

blanche person

Devia Tan-Navarro

Is it wrong to agree with him? I agree that it doesn't have that 21st century epicness thats needed but considering that the movie was finished in 2009 and its still not that bad with all the competition out-CGI-ng each other, I guess its still a well-made movie. I also agree that most of the action is well within the backdrop that you need to watch it a second time to find out that there are a lot of people fighting, but the movie is still about Harry Potter and the hallows/horcruxes.

I also agree the movie is full of cliches although far from predictable. I tried not to read the book before seeing it and it paid out that I was constantly on the edge of my seat, its a movie full of small surprises, a worthy blockbuster. What is predictable is the score which is the worst recycling ever made in a movie. Desplat was sound in part 1, part 2 wants me to grip his shiny bald guy and rip its head. Its too generic. a hard-core fan might make a better score.

The reviewer makes good points, he is also well researched, which I love in negative reviews that makes debating whether his review is valid or not as irrelevant because he is a casual fan of the books/movies and I think if Lane reviewed DHpt2 this review would be similar.

I think that he downplayed the good parts of the movie which I don't like in a review and I would like reviews to tell me whats good about the movie that its worth being made into a movie and not just why it fails to be worth the money to see.

In short the reviewer hated the screenplay and the direction, the CGI is mediocre but the acting is touching yet short and overshadowed by the mediocre CGI but no one can have fault in the set design since it works in enhancing the movie.
Yates should have been sacked after Half-blood, and Kloves was running out of steam after quiting OotP.

After I read the book it is a bad adaptation although a good stand-alone movie, that its magic is way ahead of its competition namely other children's movies/book-adaptation, children/teens are the movies target demographics and the HP movies are the best representation of the movies children love.

Jul 22 - 09:59 PM

ATR

Alexander Rojas

I disagree, I thought that they were wonderfully adapted. Yeah, a lot is cut out, but a lot of the book was cheesy. I thought the movie had an epicn feel to it that is not only fitting for the 21st century but also the 22nd. I also liked that the fighting was done in the background. Made it feel like you were following Harry and not just a movie. Then again that is all my opinion. I also thought that the dialogue was good. However, I do agree that the score was disappointing. Good thing I got mine for $6.99 on Amazon. The only three parts I liked is the statues, courtyard apocalypse, and severus and lily. I was so disappointed that Desplat, an Oscar nominated composer, couldn't even create a piece more beautiful than Dumbledore's Farewell during Snape's memories. I missed Nicholas Hooper. He had such wonderful music.

Jul 22 - 10:48 PM

ATR

Alexander Rojas

I disagree, I thought that they were wonderfully adapted. Yeah, a lot is cut out, but a lot of the book was not needed to tell the story. I thought the movie had an epicn feel to it that is not only fitting for the 21st century but also the 22nd. I also liked that the fighting was done in the background. Made it feel like you were following Harry and not just a movie. Then again that is all my opinion. I also thought that the dialogue was good. However, I do agree that the score was disappointing. Good thing I got mine for $6.99 on Amazon. The only three parts I liked is the statues, courtyard apocalypse, and severus and lily. I was so disappointed that Desplat, an Oscar nominated composer, couldn't even create a piece more beautiful than Dumbledore's Farewell during Snape's memories. I missed Nicholas Hooper. He had such wonderful music.

Jul 22 - 10:51 PM

Kornknealious

Thomas Korn

Totally disagree, you seem to have trouble, as many HP fans do, separating the books from the films. The films (with the exception of Prisoner of Azkban) rely upon the fans pre existing knowledge of the story to enjoy the film. I watched Deathly Hallows Pt 1 with a friend who never read one of the books, I had to explain a lot to him thorugh out the movie. This is bad filmmaking PERIOD

Aug 5 - 12:44 AM

Kornknealious

Thomas Korn

Aug 5 - 12:46 AM

Megan Cahill

Megan Cahill

These movies were created from the BOOKS, afterall... so that would only make sense!

Aug 15 - 01:49 PM

Megan Cahill

Megan Cahill

Aug 15 - 01:49 PM

Aleksandar Vagner

Aleksandar Vagner

That's ridiculous. It's not about the movie, if you took your friend to sixth part of Star Wars or third part of LOTR and if he hasn't seen any of the previous parts, of course you'd have to EXPLAIN. Going to a seventh movie of a saga without previously watching the other parts is stupid and has nothing to do with the way the movie's done. Just sayin'.

Nov 19 - 02:47 PM

Steven S.

Steven Smith

I thought the score was absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure what movie range you're referring to when you talk about 'recycling.' Whether you meant the two parts of Deathly Hallows or the series in general is uncertain to me, but, in the eight films, we've experienced many unique composers since John Williams in Sorcerer's Stone. Alexandre Desplat, who composed these last two installations, captured the spirit of the movies perfectly in his score. In fact, according to many critics, this last film may end up being an big Oscar contender come 2012...including a nomination for best score.

Jul 23 - 05:22 PM

Maggie Abudo

Maggie Abudo

The target audience for this movie is not children - it's rated PG-13. The target audience is for people who have grown up WITH Harry and his friends (teenagers and young adults), plus anyone who wants to see an amazing epic fantasy film (anyone younger than 70)

Jul 24 - 02:54 PM

Lucian Orsinger

Lucian Orsinger

Dumbass canadian..

Jul 22 - 10:53 PM

THGhost

THGhost .

Couldn't agree more. He doesn't know what he's talkin' aboot.

Jul 23 - 04:11 AM

Liam Beatty

Liam Beatty

Dude I'm Canadian and I love the books and movies. In fact I think he's the only Canadian critic who disliked it. I grew up the Harry Potter too.

Jul 29 - 08:26 PM

Josh B.

Josh Bresser

You gave HALL PASS a better rating than this?

Leave, never come back.

Jul 22 - 11:22 PM

Davey Yang

Davey Yang

lol right on brother

Jul 25 - 01:35 AM

Amber Kreft

Amber Kreft

Hall Pass?! HALL PASS!?! He thought that Hall Pass was better? That movie was horrible!

Sep 20 - 02:36 PM

Saim Cheeda

Saim Cheeda

Argh down to 96% again!

Jul 22 - 11:40 PM

Aiden Jeynes

Aiden Jeynes

umad?

Jul 23 - 01:03 AM

Samson Van Der Pol

Samson Van Der Pol

THANKS TO U ITS NOW FROM 97% to 96% and another 8 retarded people can't tell the difference between a good movie and a bad movie go on, go get 20 other dumb critics to say an excuse why this amazing movie isn't good.THIS MOVIE DESERVES 100% and it's because sons of bitches like you (who don't know entertainment) who are keeping under 100%.

Jul 22 - 11:58 PM

Aiden Jeynes

Aiden Jeynes

problem?

Jul 23 - 01:04 AM

ATR

Alexander Rojas

Do you have a problem aiden?

Jul 23 - 03:31 AM

Chase Fraley

Chase Fraley

Asshole.

Jul 23 - 03:50 AM

Derick Smith

Derick Smith

It doesn't fucking deserve 100%. That's higher than Lord of the Rings, and I can tell you that LotR is infinitely better than this movie.

Aug 1 - 08:59 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Well that's like, your opinion man.

Aug 13 - 08:02 PM

mandrake2004

robert drake

Thats a really good point woven in classic logic. Fact A: LotR didnt get 100 percent. Fact B: LotR is indefinitely better than HP. Conclusion: HP cant get 100 percent since its so much worse than LotR! Brilliant!!

Aug 18 - 03:06 AM

Raghad F

Raghad F

YOU'RE FAT AND UGLY

Jul 22 - 11:59 PM

Manas Rai

Manas Rai

shut the fuck up

Jul 23 - 01:27 AM

Megan Cahill

Megan Cahill

That's a great argument. <-sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell.

Aug 15 - 01:51 PM

zain r.

zain raheel

i dont see the point of writing the rreview this way. No technical department can mark a low number on it whether its background score or visual effects even the emotions were too strong. How can anyone oversee the memories or snape, such an emotional part of movie, you may come with so much in your head or have forgotten the previous movies(if u ever happened to see them).
And talking about acting, why do you think that acting is always a chance in dramatic and philosophical scenes? it could be in thrilling and even high CGI scene(remember Zoe Saldana had strong chance for Oscar nomination from Avatar). And still we see such amazing performances by all actors.
And do bear one thing in mind
its us who have already read the novel and we know whats coming next. Not Harry, Not Rom and neither hermoine knows whats exactly gonna happen (this is the difference between Transformers and Harry Potter where characters from the beginning know that they are part of block buster)

And finally what i see that all those 9 critics who have reviewed it rotten come up with fake reasons and flaws. Which they themselves believe are not truth. Its just that they want t be identified uniquely ,all these non famous critics who want to get famous by reviewing such mesmerizing movie as rotten. I wish i had one of those Doloris Unbridge's Quills and let then write "I must not review fake anymore" as many times as it takes them to understand
Avada Kedavra

Jul 23 - 04:27 AM

Renee Meister

Renee Meister

Awesome!

Jul 23 - 05:31 PM

Ry Mintz

Ry Mintz

Even though the movie overall was, like the census says, a satisfying end to the HP franchise, I would have to agree with Mr.Gibson on some points. In the film when they showed Lupin and Tonks, and Fred dead, I wanted to feel sad, but I just couldn't because the filmmakers put too much emphasis on the special effects and fighting, which took away from the emotional aspect of certain scenes, such as this one. However, as stated by many others in this post already, I thought they did a brilliant job with Snape's memories sequence. That scene alone solidified the film as a 90%-plus movie. Putting aside Peter Jackson's epic trilogy (because it leaves all films ever made in the dust), this film is the best action/fantasy movie I've ever seen.

Jul 26 - 04:42 PM

Mallikarjuna Konduri

Mallikarjuna Konduri

Begins well with great atmosphere... brooding, dark, like imminent death. But those fight sequences and the ending where Voldemort really peels off into dust... that's blah. Could have have better, could have been better.

Sep 20 - 04:10 AM