RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Harry Potter's Final Chapter Arrives

Summary

There are a lot of Blu-ray reissues due out this week, though few of them boast many extras that make them worth mentioning here. These include hi-def versions of The Cannonball Run, Blue Velvet, 1962's Mutiny on the Bounty, Little Big Man, The Fisher King, and, of course, the cult classic Frankenhooker. What we do have this week ranges from epic greatness (the final chapter of the Harry Potter series, an Ingmar Bergman classic, two acclaimed HBO miniseries) to middling mediocrity (the Jason Bateman/Ryan Reynolds body swap movie, a failed Ayn Rand adaptation). In between all of that, we have one curious experiment that sort of defies conventional cinematic definition. So read on for the full list! Back to Article

Comments

Myron

Myron Kinsey

Huge Ingmar Bergman fan so Fanny and Alexander Blu-Ray is a sell to me....that is, if I had any money.

Nov 7 - 10:24 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is a sure thing for me. I've been getting the films for almost ten years now, so it's not like I'm going to skip the last one.

Nov 7 - 10:29 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Harry Potter & LOTR are what movie making is all about. Great sets, real locations, great makeup/costumes, CGI only when there is no other choice; Just a tremendous attention to detail. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into making these movies and it shows. And I'm not even mentioning the tremendous writing, cast/acting, cinematography, directing, etc. They are the benchmarks of blockbuster movie making for the 2000s. Forget that Avatar sh*t.

Nov 7 - 11:15 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

both are good fantasy literature

Nov 8 - 05:28 AM

Reyna Nayee

Reyna Nayee

Hear, hear!

Nov 8 - 09:20 AM

Dave J

Actually, Lord of the Rings films is metaphorical toward Nazism and WWII, as opposed to Harry Potter which is just a kids fantasy movie. I agree that they're both fantasy, but one is geared toward kids while the other is more appreciated by adults!

Nov 8 - 02:02 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

The symbolism in Harry Potter is there, it is even more blatant than in Lord of the Rings. Suffice to say, it doesn't make much sense to say Lord of the Rings is more relevant to adults because of its WWII symbolism because, obviously, we're not in WWII. There are, of course, themes that have meaning in this day in age as in Harry Potter. I wouldn't say that the themes of The Lord of the Rings movies are much more "adult" than those in the Harry Potter movies. As far as literature though, Lord of the Rings is more for adults because it takes an amount of patience, and the writing is (no offense to Rowling) better. The Harry Potter books were definitely aimed at children... still, I read Lord of the Rings before I read Harry Potter (I was 11 when I read the first Harry Potter a little while after it came out).
Both movie series have failed to provide me with a better image than the one I conjured in my head, so I haven't been exceedingly obsessed with either. Buuuut, remember, the Lord of the Rings series isn't over yet!

Nov 9 - 12:26 AM

Dave J

Well, I was talking about the films and not the books, and although I wasn't there during WWII- it's something people have to study regardless whether they're there or not, just like it's important to remember all the Presidents of the United States of America, the fact that you were not there during all the history still does not give you the excuse to remember or acknowledge that it ever happened at all! Although, alot of people love the LOTR books more than the films as well, my brother included, still were able to differentiate what they know from the books to what they watch on screen even though Tolkens symobolic war intent is not there in the original text according to the fans of the books!

Nov 9 - 12:28 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

Yes of course. I didn't say it wasn't important, just that it isn't necessarily more relevant. Also, if we're talking film series, it doesn't help that to recognize the symbolism we must have read the books...

Nov 9 - 01:08 PM

Dave J

In my opinion, movie critics would've enjoyed the films even less had Peter Jackson hadn't chosen the direction that it did since they're also alot of non-Tolken fans as well! I also forgot to mention, that as a result of the films, book sales also went up since their were alot of people who haven't read Tolkens books or were never fans of fantasy literature, it was only until after they had seen the films, not to mention the fact that it's loyal "Lord of the Rings" fan base was also mentioned in the credits. The thing is because Peter Jackson was only given a limited amount of money and "if" he were granted more money than the slightly over 100 million each he had per film, his films would've been up to 'six' instead of settling them all in 3 considering the length of the novels- he obviously had to compromised with whaever money he had, read somewhere that he even had to use his own money - Jackson had the final say, of course!

Nov 9 - 02:39 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

BoB=GOAT.

Nov 8 - 12:55 AM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

harry potter...the boy who lived...come to die.

Nov 8 - 04:27 AM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

Nov 9 - 01:08 PM

Nov 9 - 02:39 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Voldemort didn't do his scream in the last HP? NYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Nov 8 - 07:01 AM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Yup. Picking up Harry Potter this Friday. Best film of the year so far. Life in a Day sounds very intriguing. Gonna see if I can rent that.

Nov 8 - 08:48 AM

Reyna Nayee

Reyna Nayee

Hear, hear!

Nov 8 - 09:20 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

At first glance, I swear I saw ALIEN instead of ATLAS, with a yellow egg.

Nov 8 - 12:51 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Well, AVP: Requiem messed up the gestation period of the aliens, so thinking it would futher be bastardized isn't unreasonable.

Nov 8 - 05:00 PM

Nov 8 - 02:02 PM

Dave J

I'm all for "Fanny & Alexander" for me as well, for I've always longed to see the longer television version of that film (2003)! That and "Life In a Day" are the only two that seem interesting here!

Nov 8 - 02:07 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nov 8 - 05:00 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank