RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Harry Potter's Final Chapter Arrives

Summary

There are a lot of Blu-ray reissues due out this week, though few of them boast many extras that make them worth mentioning here. These include hi-def versions of The Cannonball Run, Blue Velvet, 1962's Mutiny on the Bounty, Little Big Man, The Fisher King, and, of course, the cult classic Frankenhooker. What we do have this week ranges from epic greatness (the final chapter of the Harry Potter series, an Ingmar Bergman classic, two acclaimed HBO miniseries) to middling mediocrity (the Jason Bateman/Ryan Reynolds body swap movie, a failed Ayn Rand adaptation). In between all of that, we have one curious experiment that sort of defies conventional cinematic definition. So read on for the full list! Back to Article

Comments

misterkyle1901

kyle T

The symbolism in Harry Potter is there, it is even more blatant than in Lord of the Rings. Suffice to say, it doesn't make much sense to say Lord of the Rings is more relevant to adults because of its WWII symbolism because, obviously, we're not in WWII. There are, of course, themes that have meaning in this day in age as in Harry Potter. I wouldn't say that the themes of The Lord of the Rings movies are much more "adult" than those in the Harry Potter movies. As far as literature though, Lord of the Rings is more for adults because it takes an amount of patience, and the writing is (no offense to Rowling) better. The Harry Potter books were definitely aimed at children... still, I read Lord of the Rings before I read Harry Potter (I was 11 when I read the first Harry Potter a little while after it came out).
Both movie series have failed to provide me with a better image than the one I conjured in my head, so I haven't been exceedingly obsessed with either. Buuuut, remember, the Lord of the Rings series isn't over yet!

Nov 9 - 12:26 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

The choice is obvious here, when the director walked into the studio and said this is the movie I'm going to make I guarantee the studio exec emptied his pockets right there and said how much more do you need? I mean, with a name like Frankenhooker it has to be good right?

Studio Guy:"Please tell me this isn't some kind of BS allegory and you're actually planning on making a movie about a reanimated prostitute?**Crosses fingers and closes eyes real hard**"
Director: "Yep"
Studio guy: "Sold!!!!"

Nov 9 - 05:00 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"What are you, some kind of SWEDE!!! You're talking Swedish to me in Times Square!"

Nov 9 - 12:29 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

No, the second is going through. And according to Wikipedia, will have a larger advertising budget.

Nov 9 - 08:42 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Tenaciously selling their Greed as if that qualifies as a legitimate philosophy. Ayn Rand is poison.

Nov 9 - 03:20 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Well, I was talking about the films and not the books, and although I wasn't there during WWII- it's something people have to study regardless whether they're there or not, just like it's important to remember all the Presidents of the United States of America, the fact that you were not there during all the history still does not give you the excuse to remember or acknowledge that it ever happened at all! Although, alot of people love the LOTR books more than the films as well, my brother included, still were able to differentiate what they know from the books to what they watch on screen even though Tolkens symobolic war intent is not there in the original text according to the fans of the books!

Nov 9 - 12:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Nov 9 - 12:29 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

Yes of course. I didn't say it wasn't important, just that it isn't necessarily more relevant. Also, if we're talking film series, it doesn't help that to recognize the symbolism we must have read the books...

Nov 9 - 01:08 PM

Dave J

Dave J

In my opinion, movie critics would've enjoyed the films even less had Peter Jackson hadn't chosen the direction that it did since they're also alot of non-Tolken fans as well! I also forgot to mention, that as a result of the films, book sales also went up since their were alot of people who haven't read Tolkens books or were never fans of fantasy literature, it was only until after they had seen the films, not to mention the fact that it's loyal "Lord of the Rings" fan base was also mentioned in the credits. The thing is because Peter Jackson was only given a limited amount of money and "if" he were granted more money than the slightly over 100 million each he had per film, his films would've been up to 'six' instead of settling them all in 3 considering the length of the novels- he obviously had to compromised with whaever money he had, read somewhere that he even had to use his own money - Jackson had the final say, of course!

Nov 9 - 02:39 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Nov 9 - 03:20 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Generally Criterion is outside my price range, but after looking at the content you get from Fanny And Alexander blu ray, including both versions of the movie, I'll probably just throw the $40 for it pretty soon.

Nov 9 - 03:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

INO, Criterion is the premium in quality releases. You always get your money's worth.

Nov 9 - 04:35 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup