Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 Reviews

March 20, 2016
Love Harry Potter. Best one yet!
½ March 19, 2016
Interesting looking, some great scenes but, a lot of gaps if you rely only on the movies
March 9, 2016
Emotional, well acted, visually stunning, and all out incredible movie, Harry Potter closes with a bang!
March 8, 2016
What a way to end this great series. I grew up watching this and I loved every moment of it.

But the big reveal of Snape being the real hero of the series makes the whole thing. Don't judge a book by its cover.
December 11, 2011
A genuinely emotional, action packed, and "full of twists" type of ride. A must must see. The best of the series and a finale that is guaranteed to please any fan of this incredible franchise.
March 1, 2016
An end to a story, an end to an epic, an end to he-who-must-not-be-named!

Over a decade in the making the wizarding world draws wands for the very last time in a worthy farewell. The escalation to a final battle between good and evil forces hits its crescendo and we are drawn back into the most vivid and quietly brilliant cinema-scapes of all time.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 sees the culmination of a dynasty, the shortest chapter brings about the completion to the longest marathon of magical mythology. With approx 1194 minutes of screen time, over 7 billion at the box office, all seven of it predecessors present in the top thirty of highest grossing films ever, its own theme park in Orlando Florida and infinite fans worldwide, we witness the passing of a monumental pop-culture milestone.

If living up to the hype and pleasing everyone isn't hard enough, this final film presents the gargantuan challenge of a mountainous plot to climb (even if it was split in two). Screenwriter Steve Kloves is in the unenviable position of making the vexing decisions of exactly what can stay, without sacrificing forward momentum.

Quibbling over these omissions is part of the fun and frustrations of this gripping franchise, and critics always take pleasure in playing devils advocate. However, this herculean effort to juggle colossal action scenes, with emotionally depth, sideways jaunts into metaphysical memories, and a functional rendition of a labyrinthine plot, is just brutal and unwarranted nitpicking.

As each preceding chapter has revolved around solving a mystery, in Part 2 there is no mystery, its time for action. Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) are in pursuit of the final scattered horcuxes which harbour pieces of Lord Voldemort's fractured soul, tethering him to this world.

Having escaped Gringot's bank by the skin of a dragon's neck, all plans lead back to Hogwarts. Once safe haven boarding school, it is now a melancholy fascist camp under Snapes control. Breaking in through a secret passage, Harry's re-emergence drives the resistant group into battle.

Hogwarts becomes a stronghold; a battlefield under attack from an army of Deatheaters, Dementors, giants and beasties defended by small dwindling group of teachers, students, parents and castle ornaments.

Every surviving character of the franchise accounted for, lesser villains get their comeuppances, heroes fall and Hogwarts crumbles in a thrilling convergence of drama, intrigue and emotion.

Suffering slightly from its urgency, some characters hasty send-off's are disappointing unexplored, leaving you wanting. Thankfully, Minerva McGonagall (Maggie Smith) and Neville Longbottom (Matthew Lewis) get their lightening moments to shine and the truth behind Alan Rickman's sneering Professor Snape is uncovered in one of the most moving scenes of the series.

The tangled Dumbledore family back-story has been simplified, a few characters have been removed, Voldermort's snake Nagini is over highlighted and some fundamental rules have been bent. Eduardo Serra's cinematography captures your attention so completely, that the collaborative phenomenon between page and screen means they can each offer something unique.

A warning: It has always been said that the movies grow progressively darker with the age group of its original audience and with this it is evident. As Harry solemnly walks through the great hall, the visual proof of the devastating human cost for his defiance is genuinely moving; and the crossroads platform he reaches and witnesses the dying form of a piece of Lord Voldermort's soul is rather a shock.

The Verdict: With the last incantation spoken and the final flourish of a wand, the Potter legend reaches its resting place in a magnificently magic movie.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 15/07/2011
May 29, 2015
,¢,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦â¦
February 23, 2016
Incredible, visually stunning masterpiece that ends this amazing series with a bang!
½ December 6, 2011
So Harry Potter finally ends and face it the movie ends not with a bang but with a whimper. With bad acting and murky light where you can't see one of the characters opening a door. Then you have Voldemort killing Harry Potter and yelling Abra Cadabra, okay so its Avra Cadavra or something like that but it still screams at me as dumb. You expect me to take this film seriously, I don't think so. Then they don't check to see if Harry's dead so off they go to Hogwarts to say, " Look Harry Potter's dead. Join us or die! Ha Ha Ha!!! Then Harry Potter comes to life and then all the bad guys suddenly decide to run off. Its like Harry Potter's alive run for the hills!!! Why I have no idea I mean Harry Potter was alive when they were attacking the castle but they didn't run off then. So dumb storytelling and filmmaking. So Harry and Voldemort duke it out with their wands enough said right. Now remember at the beginning they say we have to destroy all the horcruxes or whatever their called, and then kill Voldemort. They definitely don't say, "All you have to do to kill Voldemort is shoot his wand out of his hand with your wand and then he'll just disintergrate." Yeah they don't say that because that would be stupid and everybody would laugh. Well that's what happens in the movie so again another fail by the moviemakers. Its like what am I watching here The Wizard of Oz. Another thing why does Voldemort look like one of those guys from Star Trek Insurrection. Like was he badly burned in a fire or something. I think his plastic surgeon could have done a better job. Poor guy.
January 30, 2016
The Harry Potter series has been great and has been making me happy for a long time. I'm a die hard fan of the films and I adore the characters of these films. I found myself crying throughout this movie, by how epic, dramatic, and sad it was. This is everything I wanted it to be and brings the Harry Potter series to a smashing and satisfying close. Thank you so much for making these films, the really mean a lot to me.
December 15, 2015
My childhood for 10 years ended when professor Snape took his last breathe, when Older Harry stepped into the platform 9 3/4. Remember I sat in the dark cinema waiting for the credits finish rolling--no more Harry Potter movies for the rest of my life. Like never before, like never again
½ July 9, 2011
The final Potter film firmly plants this series as the great epic story of our generation. It's a finale that, while huge and important in scope, never lacks in moments of personal touches (Filch). The battle is phenomenal (bridge explosion), the themes of community are strong, and the exhilaration is urgent and palpable (immediate attack on Hogwarts). In a series of great films, this wrap-up stands above them all.
July 12, 2012
One of the best motion picture I've ever seen. Seriously since a long time I hadn't enjoyed so much watching a film. Harry Potter has all the complements to become the film of the year, the film of all times, the best book adaptation...simply perfect. By the way, my favorite Harry Potter's film.
May 21, 2013
Great Ending to an amazing series. Very well done and thought out.
August 16, 2010
The last Harry Potter was good.
½ February 1, 2016
This series has been one of my most favorite, starting out with a sense of childish magic and ending with a sense of true desperation in the wizarding realm. The way the movie and actors grew up stuns me every time I rewatch the series. They end in a way that is not only satisfying but shows us exactly what Harry Potter was going to end up being. And that is a mature film that could bring forth great action sequences and funny dialogue while showing us what our favorite 3 wizards ended up doing in the later years of their lives. This is the definition of a good film.
January 31, 2016
You know Harry Potter good. You know it
January 27, 2016
love it one of my favorite movies
½ January 26, 2016
A good conclusion and snapes redemption is a very nice touch. Even dobby redeemed himself. I think overall it would have helped previous films if the other books had already been published before.